shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me what’s wrong with your ring!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
And other jewelry.

Show me the failings, the blemishes, the less than perfect craftsmanship. Show me, and tell me why you love it anyways! I’m challenging the perfectionist part of myself. I’m hoping that seeing is believing and hearing your stories will help me.

Nothing is perfect, it’s an unrealistic standard! Yet I still try…

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is Frankie, short for Frankenstein. I bought her many, many years ago because she was very pretty, and fairly inexpensive for the carat weight. My husband, who knows how particular I am about jewelry, tried to discourage me. He knew I would eventually be unhappy with her flaws. Well, he was right! First I replaced a side diamond, then I replaced the center. I still have another side diamond to replace because it just doesn't match. Poor Frankie just never gets completely finished. She's on my list of things that needs to be completed "someday". I love her anyway. Screenshot_20220227-123454_Photos.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you love them as they are?

Hmmmm
i should go take some photos

I guess despite now knowing much better thanks to everyone here i still see on a daily bases plenty of people wearing mall quality jewlery - (and also lots of older better quality sparkles too) so i still love some of it
I try not to think of the thousands of dollars i did not spend wisely on
Like my green sapphire which just does not have good colour saturation

Also its the window in two stones (2 different rings) and that my sapphires are all too dark

luckily i have purposely not schooled myself up too much up on diamonds - but my studs and huggies leave me seriously disappointed now days

My mall pearls i spent serveral hundard dollars on are pretty much costume jewlery to me now

but this is about rings so i won't have to go on about this weeks disappointment to discover my gold tiger eye necklace with gold beads that was mum's- picked up on one of her travels ...has gold painted plastic beads (no wonder my sister didn't want it) - that has me so disappointed ive gone so far as to price up some 10k beads

Ill get some pictures once i straighten up the bed

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is Frankie, short for Frankenstein. I bought her many, many years ago because she was very pretty, and fairly inexpensive for the carat weight. My husband, who knows how particular I am about jewelry, tried to discourage me. He knew I would eventually be unhappy with her flaws. Well, he was right! First I replaced a side diamond, then I replaced the center. I still have another side diamond to replace because it just doesn't match. Poor Frankie just never gets completely finished. She's on my list of things that needs to be completed "someday". I love her anyway. Screenshot_20220227-123454_Photos.jpg

She has amazing presents
So all in good time
her time to really shine will come

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta tell you how sparkly and beautuful this looked under the mall lights
i still love the idea of it
its blue black not quite as black as my phone makes out
But yes it should be blue not onyx like
i do wonder which finger i had it sized too because my fingers have swelled in the heat but its loose on my ring finger

anyway the plan is to knock the sapphires out and replace with maybe blue topaz

Attachments

• 16471678072541360600322.jpg
    16471678072541360600322.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 17

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of my worst jewelry mistakes.
In 2004 my DH and I were visiting Italy and were in a jewelry store in Rome.
Where I fell in love with a huge aquamarine ring.
Knowing zero about aquamarine stones and nothing about colored gems I had no business falling in love. I didn't know what I was looking at....but we bought it thanks to my generous DH who wanted me to have it since I was drooling over it.

Fast Forward to learning more about aquamarines and colored gems in general and oh boy what a mistake I made. That HUGE window for one. :doh:

Lesson learned.
But ouch it still hurts when I think of the price we paid.
But I am wiser now and wouldn't think of buying a colored gemstone without inquiring here first.

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 8.24.44 AM.png

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of my worst mistakes.
Knowing zero about aquamarine stones and nothing about colored gems I had no business falling in love. I didn't know what I was looking at....but we bought it thanks to my generous DH who wanted me to have it since I was drooling over it.

Fast Forward to learning more about aquamarines and colored gems in general and oh boy what a mistake I made. That HUGE window for one. :doh:

Lesson learned.
But I am wiser now and wouldn't think of buying a colored gemstone without inquiring here first.

Have you ever considered having a recut? I've seen so often with colored stones that they're often just so bottom heavy. They'll get an improved cut and still keep a similar face-up size even though they'll "loose weight". It is a beautiful ring!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to my jewelry, especially when I am paying a lot. I feel like the more expensive something is the more “perfect” it should be. I’ve come to the realization that there is no such thing and I need to just accept this.
Over the years I have found that the best solution for me is to purchase items that are preloved.
When I purchase preloved I guess my mind accepts that there will be flaws and blemishes but I can accept them bc I am paying a fraction of the retail price.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to my jewelry, especially when I am paying a lot. I feel like the more expensive something is the more “perfect” it should be. I’ve come to the realization that there is no such thing and I need to just accept this.
Over the years I have found that the best solution for me is to purchase items that are preloved.
When I purchase preloved I guess my mind accepts that there will be flaws and blemishes but I can accept them bc I am paying a fraction of the retail price.

I am similar. I personally hardly ever own anything "new"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever considered having a recut? I've seen so often with colored stones that they're often just so bottom heavy. They'll get an improved cut and still keep a similar face-up size even though they'll "loose weight". It is a beautiful ring!

Thanks. No I hadn’t consdered that because I rarely wear rings now. But it’s an excellent idea, thanks.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

I love this example, because to me, she just looks beautiful. I can see why you bought her!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
i do wonder which finger i had it sized too because my fingers have swelled in the heat but its loose on my ring finger

Oo I love it now but blue topaz would also be nice!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of my worst jewelry mistakes.

Lesson learned.

Oh it is so beautiful on you! I recently read that aquamarine is supposed to be “healthy for marriage” - seems like it’s working ;-)

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

I can relate to all of this.

And it’s so true- nothing is perfect!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My big fail was a buying a prasiolite pendant. It was pricey but I absolutely fell in love with the setting. Silly me thought, oh piece of cake, I will just replace the stone. No biggie. Umm, yeah. It's set in a double, milgrained bezel setting. The bezels will get destroyed if I were to try and replace the stone. So it sits in my jewelry box and every once in a while I look at it and marvel at the setting which I love.

DSC_0159.JPG

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the style of the ring. It looks great on you.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My big fail was a buying a prasiolite pendant. It was pricey but I absolutely fell in love with the setting. Silly me thought, oh piece of cake, I will just replace the stone. No biggie. Umm, yeah. It's set in a double, milgrained bezel setting. The bezels will get destroyed if I were to try and replace the stone. So it sits in my jewelry box and every once in a while I look at it and marvel at the setting which I love.

DSC_0159.JPG

I think it's beautiful!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DSC_0159.JPG

Would it be possible to have the entire stone+basket lasered out, and have a new gem already set in its own bezeled basket soldered in? It sure is beautiful, I can see why you couldn't resist!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

DSC_0159.JPG

Would you sacrafice the stone to save the setting ?
That's what im hoping to do
however your prasiolite is much nicer than my sapphires

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oo I love it now but blue topaz would also be nice!

Thank you
im thinking using blue topaz
1.it would be blue
and
2. It wouldn't break the bank as the rimg only cost $1000

still as it is its $1000 completly wasted :(2

I will of course need help from PS when the time comes to source the topaz =)2

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would it be possible to have the entire stone+basket lasered out, and have a new gem already set in its own bezeled basket soldered in? It sure is beautiful, I can see why you couldn't resist!

+1 Should be entirely possible. I think DKJ could do it with no problem.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hey all you perfectionists… just think of your imperfect stones as sentimental heirlooms from some great-aunt you never met. Because who has ever really met all their great-aunts? So it could be true.

I am a far sighted person who would rather spend money on stones than settings. So behold my bad settings in all their awesome glory. No plans to change ‘em.

6801C8D2-229E-4C88-8A3D-F84995FECCF1.jpeg 6060B171-9955-42FF-9C30-896FC4F83010.jpeg
02A5092E-5FE7-4ECD-BCAA-36F6EE8E47AC.jpeg 6F6EA436-165A-451B-AB6F-9DFAF82C7D72.jpeg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all you perfectionists… just think of your imperfect stones as sentimental heirlooms from some great-aunt you never met. Because who has ever really met all their great-aunts? So it could be true.

I am a far sighted person who would rather spend money on stones than settings. So behold my bad settings in all their awesome glory. No plans to change ‘em.

6801C8D2-229E-4C88-8A3D-F84995FECCF1.jpeg 6060B171-9955-42FF-9C30-896FC4F83010.jpeg
02A5092E-5FE7-4ECD-BCAA-36F6EE8E47AC.jpeg 6F6EA436-165A-451B-AB6F-9DFAF82C7D72.jpeg

I like your settings. I love the last pendant too.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful!
Thanks!

While I didn't ask that specific question, I did ask my most trusted jeweler and she didn't think changing the stone was possible without damage to the double bezel when resetting a new stone. Maybe cutting out the entire bezel would work. I don't know.

Would you sacrafice the stone to save the setting ?
That's what im hoping to do
however your prasiolite is much nicer than my sapphires

Thanks, I would sacrifice that stone in a heart beat. Initially I thought they could just break it into pieces to get it out and I was fine with that. The issue is with resetting a new stone. The double bezel would never be the same pristine milgraining.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

While I didn't ask that specific question, I did ask my most trusted jeweler and she didn't think changing the stone was possible without damage to the double bezel when resetting a new stone. Maybe cutting out the entire bezel would work. I don't know.

Thanks, I would sacrifice that stone in a heart beat. Initially I thought they could just break it into pieces to get it out and I was fine with that. The issue is with resetting a new stone. The double bezel would never be the same pristine milgraining.

I kind of fell in love with the idea of praisiolite but i never saw any in real life that had good colour
Yours however does seem to

May i ask what you don't like about it ?

Or did you buy it with the intention of swapping the stone ?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of fell in love with the idea of praisiolite but i never saw any in real life that had good colour
Yours however does seem to

May i ask what you don't like about it ?

Or did you buy it with the intention of swapping the stone ?

I bought with the intention of swapping out the stone. Prasiolite is not something that I ever wanted. I like more saturated colors in stones and jewelry. If you ever saw my quilting you would know I'm all about bright colors, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results