shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me the Most Beautiful Solitaire Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Alright ladies and gents, I''ve been asked for help in picking a ring. The person in question will want a very simple setting, but elegant and quirky too. No side diamonds, no pave.

I think the Leon Solitaire takes the cake, but in case that''s out of price range, what are some other options? Show me your favourite solitaire setting!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What size/shape stone is this for?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon''s solitaire is really no more than other good quality designer solitaires. Depending on the size of the stone, it would be somewhere around $1200. Ritani has a nice solitaire (more than the Leon, I think), and the WF Legato sleek line ($1050) is really lovely.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was gonna suggest the Leon, too! When I asked for a quote on that style, it was in the just-under-$1500 range. (Obviously this changes so he could hardly be held to that, but still, generally speaking...)

For me it's all about the head shape. I LOVE the head on LynnB's ring (Lynn, I really hope you don't mind my posting it! It's only out of ADORATION for it!
30.gif
):

Borrowed from LynnB:
Reset8.jpg

I think it looks so elegant, esp. on a thinner shank. For a bit thicker shank I like Ellen's x-prong a lot (ditto the hoping you don't mind thing to Ellen as well
2.gif
):

Borrowed from Ellen:
NewRing%200121000.JPG

I really like a "fluid" look in any ring, especially a solitaire. A shank that just flooowws into the head, which cuuurrves around/up to the stone. The more standard Tiffany-style or cathedral-styles are not as much my favorites.
1.gif

I'm browsing Pearlman's now, I'll post a few if they're pretty!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
why..... mark morrell''s flame, flame hyrid, sunburst and torchiere, to name a few!!!
2.gif

they''re in the price range of leon''s per his site - about 1600-1800 if i am not mistaken.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in Tiffany and Cartier today - Solitaire C de Cartier is gorgeous. It''s very simple with clean, modern lines and wow gorgeous.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark Morrell''s are beautiful, but they will run higher than a Leon solitaire.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
DSCN3847.jpg

Sunkist''s Locke''s solitaire is still my favourite. Not sure if Locke''s is still making them though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2007 8:11:15 PM
Author: wolftress

Sunkist''s Locke''s solitaire is still my favourite. Not sure if Locke''s is still making them though.
It is beautiful, but no longer being made. The MM Flame is the closest to this.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I gotta vote for Ellen''s magnificent ring! It''s so elegant and fluid. LOVE IT!

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
Don''t forget BostonJeff''s Leon with the split claw. I love that one, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto all of the above...and I love Irina''s Vatche Swan and the Vatche Royal Crown too.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh. Great suggestions. I may gently push for him to go Leon. It really is, by far, the most beautiful solitaire there is. I think the flame is a good option too.

One question: we''d probably be talking a 1ct stone here. Do you think Leon would be willing to work with a stone that size? I have a vague recollection of someone saying he refused commissions if the stone wasn''t ''extraordinary'' enough or something.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 10:36:18 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Ooooh. Great suggestions. I may gently push for him to go Leon. It really is, by far, the most beautiful solitaire there is. I think the flame is a good option too.

One question: we''d probably be talking a 1ct stone here. Do you think Leon would be willing to work with a stone that size? I have a vague recollection of someone saying he refused commissions if the stone wasn''t ''extraordinary'' enough or something.

While I DO think he''d be willing to do it (he scoffed, but was willing to do it for my stone) I also think you''ll lose a lot of the design with a smaller stone (as Leon cautioned me when I asked for info about doing mine). For a 1 ct, my vote goes to Ellen''s solitaire personally...

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, when you think about it there REALLY ARE some beautiful solitaires floating around out there! Ellen''s sure does flow beautifully. I prefer a thinner band personally. I am very happy with my WF Tiffany Knife Edge with the Elanieh inspired modifications that they now offer as standard.
2.gif

jenn5504eringwfpicofsolitaire.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Jenn - i agree for a e-ring that''s going to go with a wedding band, this maybe my favorite ps setting. love it.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I like GladysKirsten X-prong!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that Leon will certainly set a 1 ct. stone. But I will have to say that the ONE thing that has kept me from sending him my diamond is that he recommends that his ring be worn alone! I simply will not at my age wear a diamond solitaire with no wedding band! So the dilemma is to get it anyway and see if the two rings rub each other and cause wear or damage, or just go with something else. I''d hands down choose him to make a RHR that would be worn alone, though.

My one question about the Flame setting is whether it will work with a straight wedding band. He has made some curved bands and I have to say that I can''t stand curved wedding bands.

Jenn, WF has indeed improved that Tiffany knife edge repro to look very close to the original. I think that is a valid option, too, for any girls who''d love to have the Tiffany look without the mark-up!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Leon solitaire best, but I love Ellen''s ring, too! And Jenn''s WF New and Improved Tiff setting. But my first choice is the Leon for sure.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
musey, I don''t mind you posting my pic at all.
2.gif
And thanks for all the votes, my ring is blushing.
5.gif

Obviously I like it too, but I realize most want a thinner band. One of my newly acquired faves is the WF Legato Sleekline. Only 700 in WG too.

Of course, if they decided to spend more, you can''t go wrong with Leon.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the WF Legato sleekline and a 1.01 ct stone and I LOVE it. Granted, Leon''s work is amazing, but I still think my Legato is, by far, one of the prettiest solitaire settings around. I have it in platinum and I think it''s very affordable in either wg or plat.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 6:42:25 PM
Author: musey
I was gonna suggest the Leon, too! When I asked for a quote on that style, it was in the just-under-$1500 range. (Obviously this changes so he could hardly be held to that, but still, generally speaking...)

For me it's all about the head shape. I LOVE the head on LynnB's ring (Lynn, I really hope you don't mind my posting it! It's only out of ADORATION for it!
30.gif
):

Borrowed from LynnB:
Reset8.jpg

I think it looks so elegant, esp. on a thinner shank.

I really like a 'fluid' look in any ring, especially a solitaire. A shank that just flooowws into the head, which cuuurrves around/up to the stone. The more standard Tiffany-style or cathedral-styles are not as much my favorites.
1.gif
Ohmy! My ring and I are blushing wildly!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

OF COURSE I don't mind, you silly silly girl! I am honored and flattered!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH! Forgot to give my opinion! (Never miss a chance to give your 2 cent''s worth, right?!)

For pave on the band, honestly, my own ring is still my first choice. LOVELOVELOVE the delicate shimmer of the fishtail pave.
30.gif

For a plain platinum band, I am sooooooo jonesing for a delicate, subtle, cathedral style -- and Harriet''s Leon sends me swooning. Although how much of that is just that 3+ carat rock??! THAT boulder almost gives me the shivers! haha!

I''m not sure if it would pack the same punch on a smaller stone, although it would of course still be gorgeous. Face it, Harriet''s stone would look great on a cigar band!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 5:07:07 PM
Author: katiedid
I have the WF Legato sleekline and a 1.01 ct stone and I LOVE it. Granted, Leon's work is amazing, but I still think my Legato is, by far, one of the prettiest solitaire settings around. I have it in platinum and I think it's very affordable in either wg or plat.
Oh yes I forgot this one! The design in the sleekline is beautiful.

Ellen and LynnB, glad you didn't mind! Always gotta cover my butt, just in case
28.gif
9.gif
If I had a round, it would be in one of those two settings. They are just my favorites for rounds!!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 11:52:13 AM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I like GladysKirsten X-prong!
I love Ellen, LynnB and ofcourse Harriet''s (good to see you back) ring, but I am kinda fond of my own right now *grins*, the prongs and the hand engraving make it one of a kind, haven''t seen any like it thus far!
30.gif
How lucky am I to have a man with good taste?? hehe

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have the same ring as Ellen, the Vatche X Prong, with a 1.1 ct round stone and I am very happy with it. (It was a reset for me.) It is a little thicker than some solitaires, but I have long fingers and it really suits me. I think the band width is perfect with a 1ct stone. The only thing I would mention is that it will have a very slight gap w/ a straight wedding band, at least mine does. Ellen has posted some wonderful photos with her straight band, and I don''t think the gap would bother most people. I have the matching Vatche curved band and while it looks great, it tends to move around and not line up right which can be annoying. I would choose a straight band if I were doing it over, and in fact, will probably buy one soon. (The one I tried on with this ring and actually purchased initially made a clanking sound and didn''t line up right, but I realize now that''s because it was sized a bit too big.)

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I LOVE Harriet''s simple setting, and I have an X-prong myself, so of course I am biased towards adoring Ellen and gailrmv''s settings, but I will never get out of my mind the images of bluekeet''s solitaire setting (with gabrielle diamond). It''s brushed and half bezel and just... perfect! I hope she doesn''t mind me resposting some of her images...

Gabi_PlumeriaCopy.jpg

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
One more...

Gabi_GreenFuzzy2Copy2.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
That is truly a spectacular setting! I love half bezels in general.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results