shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me some Van Craeynest!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Love in Bloom! Here''s a question for you. Supposing Larry is making the same design, say 812, in a size 5 and a size 9, does he have different dies for each size? Or does he size them after striking, and then do the carving? Just wondering since you mentioned that the one set was made at different times.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
LiB - thank you! YOu take such wonderful pics! Loooove the detail on that 812 set, so purty.

It would be great to meet you when you move here in October. Keep me posted
36.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
p.s. how big was the stone in that 812 set? how wide is the shank?

Thanks LiB!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
LiB-Oooh, you''re moving to the Bay Area? That''s awesome! Although, being that much closer to VC could be a problem-it would for me!
3.gif
I''m in SoCal, but perhaps I''ll make it up North sometime for a meetup.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 7:52:40 PM
Author: Selkie
Thanks, Love in Bloom! Here''s a question for you. Supposing Larry is making the same design, say 812, in a size 5 and a size 9, does he have different dies for each size? Or does he size them after striking, and then do the carving? Just wondering since you mentioned that the one set was made at different times.

Hiya Selkie, you''re welcome. That''s a good question about construction and sizes. If I had to guess I would venture to say there are different dies for different finger sizes. I can ask for you if you would like. I''m kind of curious too!

I do recall seeing some hubs with denoted finger sizes engraved directly on a few of them - I''ll post a pic below. You can kind of make out some finger sizes engraved on a few of them (upper right quadrant).

Hubs from my visit in 2007:
LIBsVCvisit000002.jpg

I don''t have any pics of Dies, but one I held looked like an oblong block of steel which cleverly had the design "sunken" on all four faces. Think 4 dies in one! The design on each face looked about the same to me (but heck, I really didn''t know what I was looking at). Perhaps each face varied in finger size.

ARLENE

Rough_Rock
I am new around here,and I have only been around the block a couple of times but your rings have just taken my breath away..I have never seen any thing like it...wow !!!unbelievable..

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 1:53:30 AM
Author: angeline

p.s. how big was the stone in that 812 set? how wide is the shank?

Thanks LiB!
It was likely a 6mm center. The 812/912 are some of the narrowest VC makes. I believe the widths can vary slightly but would say these are 2.2 to 2.5 mm wide. You're not contemplating a reset are you?
31.gif

Date: 8/20/2009 8:49:32 PM
Author: angeline
LiB - thank you! YOu take such wonderful pics! Loooove the detail on that 812 set, so purty.

It would be great to meet you when you move here in October. Keep me posted
36.gif
No way, your pics are so much better than mine! I was being a wiggle worm. Very excited and couldn't sit still! I took pics all over the place and the ligting got baaaaad.

I'll have to get in touch once we get settled. Do you have psychic abilities? I remember when you serenaded me and told me it was the west wind calling my name.
2.gif

BTW - Ever listen to PJ Harvey? She sings a song called "Angeline" and I can't help but think about you everytime I hear it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LIB, what new pieces do you have? And do you still have that one supernova spinel from Barry?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 4:24:09 PM
Author: Selkie
LiB-Oooh, you''re moving to the Bay Area? That''s awesome! Although, being that much closer to VC could be a problem-it would for me!
3.gif
I''m in SoCal, but perhaps I''ll make it up North sometime for a meetup.
Yup, this is a dangerous thing for me
27.gif
. There are so many great places to go for jewelry in the Bay Area. I''ve been to Gumps - there I saw some amazing pieces by Bucellati and Nakamura, some very beautiful enameled pieces also. I still need to visit Lang''s, Shreve''s, Old Gold, lots of other places. Dangerous indeed!

I would love to meetup sometime. I swoon at the thought of seeing all your beautiful and colorful sparklies!!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 12:25:45 AM
Author: FrekeChild
LIB, what new pieces do you have? And do you still have that one supernova spinel from Barry?
Hiya Freke! Yes, I'm hopelessly behind and have to take pictures of my new VC soon. Just got back from my trip and I'm a little slow
3.gif

I do still have the supernova Barry spinel. Still interested?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 12:12:41 AM
Author: ARLENE
I am new around here,and I have only been around the block a couple of times but your rings have just taken my breath away..I have never seen any thing like it...wow !!!unbelievable..
Thanks Arlene, I just adore your name. You know I had the same feeling when I first found out about Van Craeynest and still feel the same way!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 6:03:16 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

Now to the 812/912. These are so dainty and the details are just perfect! I had a VERY hard time capturing them with my camera. I took a ton of pics of these trying though!

What do you ladies think of the 812/912 with an antique cushion or OMC in it?

I keep trying to picture this design with a YG or even rose gold head holding an old-cut stone.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 4:44:09 PM

That''s all for colored stones as far as the pierced rings go, but here''s a band that certainly caught my attention. Not sure of the style number, but it has Princess cut sapphires and little chased flowers on a knife-edge band.

swoon! I am in love. Selkie i know you are too! oh wow.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hey VC fans -

I''m headed to the Van Craeynest Factory next week - after the Labor Day holiday. Do you have any special requests for me?

I''m going to check out the 812/912 set. Larry has called in some older-cut stones for me, all smaller stones (I forgot to ask him the carat weight), so he can gauge my taste. He says they''re very pretty, and they''re OMCs and OECs.

kimi

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 12:15:14 AM
Author: AnitaT

Hi, does anyone know where I can find pricing for 920? Thanks in advance
emteeth.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 10:42:31 AM
Author: Ashleigh

Date: 4/22/2009 12:15:14 AM

Hi, does anyone know where I can find pricing for 920? Thanks in advance
emteeth.gif
Hi Ashleigh,
I would suggest calling Larry and getting a rough estimate. He is easy to talk to and very sweet. Let him know you saw a picture of 920 from my April visit and are interested in learning more about it. If you don''t want to call, try the email option on the Van Craeynest website. My FI exchanged a couple of emails with Sara, (I believe that was her name) and found her helpful.

Good luck! I love VC pieces.
30.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Ashleigh,

Do you want me to get some more shots of the 920?

I''m visiting the VC factory on Sept 13 (next Thursday).

kimi

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 7:12:53 PM
Author: kimikocat
Hey VC fans -

I''m headed to the Van Craeynest Factory next week - after the Labor Day holiday. Do you have any special requests for me?

I''m going to check out the 812/912 set. Larry has called in some older-cut stones for me, all smaller stones (I forgot to ask him the carat weight), so he can gauge my taste. He says they''re very pretty, and they''re OMCs and OECs.

kimi
Kimi,
Oh, you lucky, lucky person! Larry has great taste. I can''t wait to see your pictures.

If you are taking requests... Would you mind taking pictures of 917 with melee, 911, 558 and 971 in platinum (if possible) for me? When I visited in April, I didn''t think to ask to see a 917 with stones. Looking back at my pictures, I wish I had taken more pictures of 911 in platinum. I just learned about 558 and 971, so don''t know anything about them. And, if you see anything interesting or in the works, snap away
9.gif

I had such fun visiting the VC factory. Alas, the west coast is too far away for me to visit Larry as often as I would like. That might be a good thing though...LOL.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 2:51:35 PM

Kimi,

Oh, you lucky, lucky person! Larry has great taste. I can''t wait to see your pictures.

If you are taking requests... Would you mind taking pictures of 917 with melee, 911, 558 and 971 in platinum (if possible) for me? When I visited in April, I didn''t think to ask to see a 917 with stones. Looking back at my pictures, I wish I had taken more pictures of 911 in platinum. I just learned about 558 and 971, so don''t know anything about them. And, if you see anything interesting or in the works, snap away
9.gif

I had such fun visiting the VC factory. Alas, the west coast is too far away for me to visit Larry as often as I would like. That might be a good thing though...LOL.

Anita,

I''ll make sure to photograph the 917 (w/ melee), 911, 558, and 971 for you, all in platinum. I''m assuming you''re looking for something to go with your gorgeous e-ring? Your ring is just STUNNING. Do you have some front runners? I really like the idea of the 558 (with the chased flowers that echo the flowers on your ring) with princess-cut diamonds. (Unless you''re into color, some folks aren''t.)

Which brings me to the next Q - do you have a preference for the type of stone used in the ring? The catalog photos show rubies in the 558 and emeralds in the 971, but I''m sure you could use anything. I could ask Larry if he has samples with other stones.

For a while now, I''ve been curious about VC''s designs for prongs and heads. A while back, Larry told me that they have more head designs than just the two most often featured in the photographs. We''ve seen the fleur de lis and the n. 4 head. So one of my objectives, next week, is to survey their prong and head designs.

I am curious to see the OMCs and OECs that he called in - he told me that they''ve been "retouched" (girdles polished to remove chips etc.) and as a result they are more symmetric than un-"retouched" antique cuts.

Any other requests from PSers? I''ll be happy to oblige. I''ll be there, anyway. :)

kimi

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kimi!
35.gif

Please take photos of WG or platinum rings with colored gemstones in them. I''m thinking about getting something down the road. Thank you!!!!
36.gif

Lori

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
These rings in the YG so remind me of the late 1970s and the love affair I had with an engraved antique look. I still love them; they''re gorgeous!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 2:26:48 PM
Author: loriken214
Hi Kimi!
35.gif

Please take photos of WG or platinum rings with colored gemstones in them. I''m thinking about getting something down the road. Thank you!!!!
36.gif

Lori

Ditto This!
Although, I would love to see yellow gold engraved or chased rings with coloured gem centres (like LIB''s grape ring).
If you''d like to narrow it down a bit, I''m looking to set a blue or green stone - but I''d love to see anything really.

So jealous of your upcoming visit, thankyou for offering to take pics!
5.gif

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 12:43:21 AM

Hiya Freke! Yes, I''m hopelessly behind and have to take pictures of my new VC soon. Just got back from my trip and I''m a little slow
3.gif

I do still have the supernova Barry spinel. Still interested?

Hey Love in Bloom! Freke is still very much interested in the stone, but wasn''t able to post so I''m passing the message along for her. If you check DB, you should be able to get in touch with her there.
35.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
I really like the idea of the 558 (with the chased flowers that echo the flowers on your ring) with princess-cut diamonds. (Unless you''re into color, some folks aren''t.)

do you have a preference for the type of stone used in the ring?
one of my objectives, next week, is to survey their prong and head designs.

I am curious to see the OMCs and OECs that he called in - he told me that they''ve been ''retouched'' (girdles polished to remove chips etc.) and as a result they are more symmetric than un-''retouched'' antique cuts.
Hi Kimi
35.gif

You are so sweet. We have been very happy with the er. It is classic with a dainty, vintage twist. You are absolutely correct, I am indeed looking for a friend for my ring. Thing is, it is pretty hard to decide between pieces and I want to make sure I don''t overlook something (initially, I was looking at a different VC er. Then, I saw the 460 and the rest is history). When I visited in April, I was certain I would want 917--the flower and leaf detailing are lovely. Then, Larry brought out 911
3.gif
. I only noticed 558 and 971 recently and am interested in seeing what they look like in real life.

Ideally, I want my wedding band to complement the er without being overly matchy, have chased flowers with a little melee and have milligrain edging. I think I would stick with princess-cut diamonds for 558 or 971. FI and I may consider aquamarine because it is my birthstone, but probably not.

Have a great visit. I am looking forward to hearing about it when you get back. You will have lots of wonderful information about rings, prongs and more.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kimi!
35.gif

36.gif

Lori

hi Lori!

I''m happy to oblige - do you have a preference for the bangle-type (thinner bands) or the pierced rings?

kimi

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/5/2009 8:50:14 AM
Author: arjunajane

Hi Kimi!
35.gif

36.gif

Lori

Ditto This!

Although, I would love to see yellow gold engraved or chased rings with coloured gem centres (like LIB''s grape ring).

If you''d like to narrow it down a bit, I''m looking to set a blue or green stone - but I''d love to see anything really.

So jealous of your upcoming visit, thankyou for offering to take pics!

5.gif

Hi AJ!

I''ll just take pix of ALL the colored stone rings that Larry has on hand at the factory. That way we can cover all our bases, right? And see some new pretty things.

I''m excited for this photo shoot!

kimi

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/6/2009 7:01:07 PM

Hi Kimi
35.gif

You are so sweet. We have been very happy with the er. It is classic with a dainty, vintage twist. You are absolutely correct, I am indeed looking for a friend for my ring. Thing is, it is pretty hard to decide between pieces and I want to make sure I don''t overlook something (initially, I was looking at a different VC er. Then, I saw the 460 and the rest is history). When I visited in April, I was certain I would want 917--the flower and leaf detailing are lovely. Then, Larry brought out 911
3.gif
. I only noticed 558 and 971 recently and am interested in seeing what they look like in real life.

Ideally, I want my wedding band to complement the er without being overly matchy, have chased flowers with a little melee and have milligrain edging. I think I would stick with princess-cut diamonds for 558 or 971. FI and I may consider aquamarine because it is my birthstone, but probably not.

Have a great visit. I am looking forward to hearing about it when you get back. You will have lots of wonderful information about rings, prongs and more.

I''ll ask Larry to bring out the 460 so we can get shots of the e-ring and the wedding bands side by side. I sometimes find it hard to visualize things in the abstract, so I''ll do my best to get you images that give you a good point of comparison.

I think aquamarine is very pretty - in a setting like that, it would probably be adequately protected & not chip. Beryl is a softer type of stone... I do think the soft blue w/ a white metal would be beautiful. I wonder if he has any samples set w/ aqua...

kimi

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kimi! Have fun!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
OK VC fans - I''m headed to the factory today! I''ve made a list of all the photo requests so far.

Looking forward to my little visit,

kimi

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results