shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me how high or low your diamond is set!

LAG2010

Shiny_Rock
top view.

center stone is 2.54 and finger size is 6.25.

lag5311.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweller set my diamond too high on the setting that he custom made for my stone. The first time i saw it i was:
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

He said that i should wear it for a while and give myself time to get used to it. Well, i gave myself a lot of time but i DIDN''T get used to it, so i took it back to him and asked him to set it lower. I''m attaching the before picture first and then the after one. It is a .90 ct on a size 4.75 finger (my finger is a little smaller but i like my rings to be comfortable and not very tight).

lilium 48090.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now the after picture...

lser 010.JPG

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top view after the diamond was set lower...

df 010 (3).jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Naty the after is so much better! The diamond looks great nested into her home.

I admit, when you posted the original I though wowee that is set HIGH!
6.gif
But to each their own, ya know?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 3:23:01 PM
Author: dreamer_d

6.gif
Dreamer...If i tell you that i KNOW that you felt this way, will you believe me? YOU are partly the reason that i finally took the decision to have it set lower! You totally kept silent about the ring and i was thinking: "Dreamer hates the hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh setting!!! You were right to think so! I couldn''t swallow it either
2.gif
I''m so glad i fixed this
4.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 3:18:09 PM
Author: Naty H&A

I really, really prefer the lower set. That profile looks amazing now!

Your ring already comes so high off your finger, I was surprised your jeweler set it that high. I would be getting caught in doors all the time with that former setting!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 3:43:07 PM
Author: RaiKai

Date: 5/5/2010 3:18:09 PM

I really, really prefer the lower set. That profile looks amazing now!

Your ring already comes so high off your finger, I was surprised your jeweler set it that high. I would be getting caught in doors all the time with that former setting!
I know what you mean RaiKai!!! Believe me, every time i was looking at the ring, i was feeling upset and frustrated. Not to mention that it was getting caught in my pockets, gloves, e v e r y w h e r e...and i was bumping it all the time...
38.gif

My brother, who got an engagement ring for his fiancee two months after we bought my ring, insisted that the diamond was set much lower than mine...(poor man, he was obviously scared of my ring! I remember him telling me that my stone is set so high, that it looks scary
3.gif
) My mom''s huge rock is also set very low. So i was the only unfortunate one in the family, who had to deal with the high set monster
32.gif

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
aw man, naty i have to say i really hated the previous setting of your ring (but i''d never really say that on PS
12.gif
)

but the new lower profile is fantastic!!!
30.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 3:26:50 PM

Date: 5/5/2010 3:23:01 PM
Author: dreamer_d

6.gif
Dreamer...If i tell you that i KNOW that you felt this way, will you believe me? YOU are partly the reason that i finally took the decision to have it set lower! You totally kept silent about the ring and i was thinking: ''Dreamer hates the hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh setting!!! You were right to think so! I couldn''t swallow it either
2.gif
I''m so glad i fixed this
4.gif
haha.. Naty you only thought that because it was what *you* thought too! Good for you for getting the change you want, it looks great now.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luckynumber: He, he! No worries, i hated it too and that''s why i fixed it! Although sometimes i''m thinking that a halo setting wouldn''t hurt either
3.gif
Maybe in a year or two...
2.gif

Dreamer: Indeed, it was because I didn''t like that high setting at all, that i was able to realize what other people thought about it too!!!
9.gif

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
naty... I like your after picture. It is still high but not crazy weird looking high. Looking at your before and other pictures... I''m worrying about my own Tacori ring. My setting is also high. I want the diamond to be just right... like I want to see the bottom of the diamond.. but I also don''t want the diamond to be hanging in mid-air. I hope the person who''ll set it for me will understand my idea... lol

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 12:53:30 AM
Author: beezygal
naty... I like your after picture. It is still high but not crazy weird looking high. Looking at your before and other pictures... I''m worrying about my own Tacori ring. My setting is also high. I want the diamond to be just right... like I want to see the bottom of the diamond.. but I also don''t want the diamond to be hanging in mid-air. I hope the person who''ll set it for me will understand my idea... lol
Beezygal, you should talk directly to the person who will be working on your ring and make your wishes very clear to him. I also like a diamond that''s set a little high, especially if it is a very white stone, but as you said, it should be as high as to allow you to barely see the culet, NOT HIGHER for Heaven''s sake
14.gif
Explain that to them, or else you might end up experiencing a big disappointment like me
15.gif

simmplyb

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I chose a setting that sits very low. My finger size is 5.5 and the center diamond is 2.37 carats. I love the setting because of it''s intricate detail yet a low practicle profile and secure bezel at the same time.

This is a fun thread, thanks for starting it!

low-profileweb.jpg

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
This is my OEC/platinum ring on layaway. I snuck a few photos. The diamond is supposed to be 2 ct. and is set very low. That is what I love about the ring. I definitely don''t think I would want this stone set any higher.

MyOECside1.jpg

Here is one that I posted before. The ring in the back has an OEC that''s between .60-.70.
The side stone directly in front of it is .73 ... so it shows two dramatically different heights!!

SBnew1bhuuhb.jpeg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I lvoe all the lowset ones:)

Naty-I like your ring so much better in the lower setting, it looks more organic, comfortable, and I think let''s your diamond be more of a star.

Noellecfi

Rough_Rock
Re: Show me how high or low your diamond is set!

My ring high set

Noellecfi

Rough_Rock
Re: Show me how high or low your diamond is set!

Simmplyb, I LOVE your ring!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is set medium-low, as the culet is just barely above the donut. It is the perfect height for me... I don't think I could stand it any higher.

3.33 ct on 4.75 finger.
CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg CVB with G&Co Stacker.jpg DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
2.5 OEC solitaire on size 6.25 finger. I would love it to be set a little bit higher, but it was hard enough to get it to fit right with my band, so I’m not worried about changing it anytime soon. F553657C-31F7-4834-BA88-566FF9046AEB.jpeg 7D5E7A0B-1577-436E-9EA7-CC1056E999E5.jpeg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Funny how pictures don''t always show things as they really are. In my opinion, IRL, my center stone is too low.
It seems to flow into the side stones and you just don''t see it. I''d like it a wee bit higher.

LeonMegeFor Bebe.jpg

That is a gorgeous ring!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have a rather high set Verragio solitaire. I like the high setting because I think it makes the stone pop more, but I''m resetting the stone into a 6-prong tiffany style setting this summer. I still would like to have it set higher rather than lower, though.

The band tapers from 2.5 mm wide (bottom) to about 3 mm next to the stone. The diamond is 2.01 ct, and my ring size is 5.

Here''s the top view first:

jjcrtop.jpg

Why are you changing the mounting?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had a RHR made with my EC, I did not have much input into its design except to specify it needed to be bezel set, which was a big mistake that I shall not make again!

The bench made it too high for my liking, in the wrong type of shank being too square, angular, narrow and lacking in finger coverage.

Probably made with good intention so that a wedding band would sit flush worn next to it, however, it was not how I had intended to wear it - it was meant to be a RHR to be worn on it's own!

I wore it for 10 years with a 2mm Titanium band that has sentimental value, before I had it reset in a much lower setting in an air gap halo with a wider band.

Here is a pic of the EC in its original setting worn with the Titanium band on my RH ring finger as my fingers were chubbier at the time.

largeeconfinger.jpg

A pic of the same ring on its own in the RH middle finger, not a good look to me.

ecbezelset_2s_0.jpg

Here is a pic of the EC in the air gap halo setting next to my mum's 1.9ct+ MRB in its temporary setting, to show how low the EC is set, as I do not have a comparison profile pic of the EC's old and new settings.

imag0377.jpg

This is how low the EC sits on my RH on my middle finger.

ecreset_a.jpg
ecreset_d.jpg

I dislike high settings and would always request for CSs to be set as low as possible when I commission a setting to be made.

The rings I have that are high are due to the depth of the CSs and pearls, and they are not worn often.

Each to their own and all that.

DK :))

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I like my rings as low profile as possible.
My ER is incredibly flush for its size. The other all diamond band was my grandmother's ER.

I wear a 7ish. My ER is 3.17ct and my grandmother's is maybe a hair over 1 ct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results