shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me big rocks (2.5+ carats) and small shanks (1.5-2mm)!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
I need to decide if I want a very thin (1.5mm) shank or just thin (2mm) for a stone that's 2.8 carats. I love the look of thin metal and want to see if those who do have that type of rock and shank have been happy with it and haven't had any structural problems.

Thanks in advance!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Show me big rocks (2.5+ carats) and small shanks (1.5-2m

I would personally go with 2mm, simply for strength purposes. 1.5mm wide is likely going to have to be a taller/thicker band and sit up tall off the finger to have enough durability to be wearable.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilythespitfire|1313521590|2992025 said:
I need to decide if I want a very thin (1.5mm) shank or just thin (2mm) for a stone that's 2.8 carats. I love the look of thin metal and want to see if those who do have that type of rock and shank have been happy with it and haven't had any structural problems.

Thanks in advance!!!

I would absolutely NOT do a sub-2mm shank, especially if you choose the softer platinum and Swiss cheese it with pave. Unless you plan to wear it once in a blue moon, perhaps.

This How Thin Can You Go trend is getting utterly ridiculous, in my not-so-humble opinion. Any round metal wire - cast or hand-forged or dropped straight from the heavens - will be stronger if there's more of it, and will withstand the pressures of daily wear if there's more of it spread horizontally across your finger. If you want the aesthetic of a thin band try a knife edge - they "look" thinner, but there's plenty of metal hiding in the design.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock

Yssie|1313527590|2992104 said:
lilythespitfire|1313521590|2992025 said:

Thanks in advance!!!

I would absolutely NOT do a sub-2mm shank, especially if you choose the softer platinum and Swiss cheese it with pave. Unless you plan to wear it once in a blue moon, perhaps.

This How Thin Can You Go trend is getting utterly ridiculous, in my not-so-humble opinion. Any round metal wire - cast or hand-forged or dropped straight from the heavens - will be stronger if there's more of it, and will withstand the pressures of daily wear if there's more of it spread horizontally across your finger. If you want the aesthetic of a thin band try a knife edge - they "look" thinner, but there's plenty of metal hiding in the design.

Hey Yssie! We seem to be meeting a lot in the forums. :cheeky: I'm definitely NOT going for any pave. Just pure platinum (I finally made up my mind!). I have a 2mm band already but I didn't think it was that much of a difference if I went 0.2mm thinner. I definitely would be too scare out of my wits to do a 1.7mm, 1.8 was as thin as I would ever push it!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

2mm is about as thin as I would go for that size stone. That's pretty big. Honey, how many upgrades did you get? Didn't you have a one carat or a little over when you got engaged? More power to you!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have a ridiculously thin shank with a large-ish stone. I didn't ask for a particular width, so I was admittedly very surprised when I saw how thin it was. It's a hand-forged 18K rose gold ring.

Shank: 1.55 mm
Stone: 2.30 ct, 8.10 x 7.92 x 4.96 mm

I've only been wearing it for four and a half months, so I can't speak for the durability issue over the long term. However, it hasn't gone out of round or anything yet. My original e-ring was a thicker shank but it was an eternity band with 5 pointers, and that ring went out of round constantly. I'm really happy it's staying perfectly round because I hated the way my original e-ring went out of round.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else that it's a bad idea to go too thin. I love love love my ring, but I do worry about durability issues. I'm thrilled that it's stayed strong and perfect thus far, but I'll update everyone on PS if anything happens to it because it's so thin.

Here it is:
IMG_1687.jpg

This is a picture I've already posted.. but...

3.18 ct with about a 1.7-1.8mm band.

It makes the diamond look huge. And excuse the puffy fingers. They did not size the ring correctly and it was a bit tight!

ring_111111117.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bean|1313533558|2992186 said:

It makes the diamond look huge. And excuse the puffy fingers. They did not size the ring correctly and it was a bit tight!

Your diamond is HUGE Bean! Got any side profile pics of your ring? Would love to see them!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Holy crap! That thing is huge! What is your ring size, if you don't mind my asking!

I need to post a few pics on here. I am trying to hold out til the new band arrives...

7.25 is my normal size.. but I think they made it a 6.5. I have lost a bit of weight since then so it's a little looser but a 7 would be way better. My hands have not swelled as much as they used to! I guess my fingers are making way for the ring (haha :???: )

Here is a side pic. It's a temp ring (my ring sagaaaaa) but I am enjoying it right now. It's very durable!
It's 14k wg and has not been bent out of shape or out of round. Personally, I wouldn't go thinner than this.

I think this pic is from last spring...

eta: I swear my rings don't usually look so tight! Looks way worse up close.

temp2.jpg

MissGotRocks|1313534320|2992191 said:

Your diamond is HUGE Bean! Got any side profile pics of your ring? Would love to see them!!

I think our rings were very similar in the past! Mine use to be a 3 stone...

.72 - 3.18 - .74

2.3-2.8mm shank I believe .

When I switched it to a solitaire from a 3 stone, the center looked HUGE and the thinner band only helps that.

OP, are you thinking of side stones at all?

Here was my mock-up with a hair binder around it to "look like" a solitaire before it was one.

sbcompare.jpg

dogmama

Shiny_Rock

gemgirl|1313530248|2992139 said:
2mm is about as thin as I would go for that size stone. That's pretty big. Honey, how many upgrades did you get? Didn't you have a one carat or a little over when you got engaged? More power to you!

Hey! LOL. Actually I went through a 2 settings, one b/c of porosity issues. I haven't ever upgraded my diamond. This is my first and last upgrade. I finally found my forever rock!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bean|1313536292|2992217 said:
MissGotRocks|1313534320|2992191 said:

I think our rings were very similar in the past! Mine use to be a 3 stone...

.72 - 3.18 - .74

2.3-2.8mm shank I believe .

When I switched it to a solitaire from a 3 stone, the center looked HUGE and the thinner band only helps that.

OP, are you thinking of side stones at all?

Here was my mock-up with a hair binder around it to "look like" a solitaire before it was one.

The side pic is great - I remember your mock up - great idea! The stone really does look bigger in a solitaire setting. You were a brave girl to take it apart! I'd love to be able to try that and then put it back if I didn't like it!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I personally prefer smaller shanks/ bands. Two of my erings have bands less than 2mm. One is a 3.02ct RB and I know the band is less than 2mm though I can't remember the exact width. It's made by a local jeweller and admittedly I've not been wearing it very often but so far no issue.

The other is a 3.50ct pear, setting made by Leon Mege. I wish I could find out which of his benchmen did this cos I've been wearing this ring almost every day for the last 2.5 years and not a thing has happened to it. The band is super super delicate and I'm guessing it's abt 1.8mm but am not sure.

3.02ct F VS2_10.jpg

Pear Ring_2.jpg

dogmama

Shiny_Rock

Haven, Bean and Phoenix, thank you for the visuals!! Gorgeous rings ladies!!!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock

Here's my ER (old pic), the band is 1.7-1.8mm Leon, and I've had it for 7 years? Never bent out of shape.

Edit: 3.10 center, size 7 for reference.

n500492180_1553471_4643.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

bean|1313535534|2992208 said:
7.25 is my normal size.. but I think they made it a 6.5. I have lost a bit of weight since then so it's a little looser but a 7 would be way better. My hands have not swelled as much as they used to! I guess my fingers are making way for the ring (haha :???: )

Here is a side pic. It's a temp ring (my ring sagaaaaa) but I am enjoying it right now. It's very durable!
It's 14k wg and has not been bent out of shape or out of round. Personally, I wouldn't go thinner than this.

I think this pic is from last spring...

eta: I swear my rings don't usually look so tight! Looks way worse up close.
WOWSA. I love that band with it.

I hope you get a final setting/reset worked out--one that fits you comfortably!!!--very soon. I had a rough year with my reset.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock

Snooper|1313623804|2992944 said:
Here's my ER (old pic), the band is 1.7-1.8mm Leon, and I've had it for 7 years? Never bent out of shape.

That is so good to hear!! I'm a ring size 4.5 though so it might be a different story with the weight if the 2.8. Food for thought I suppose!

Ladies, please keep the pictures and experiences coming. I truly appreciate it. I need all the help I can get as this will be the las setting I'm ever getting. : )

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Snooper|1313623804|2992944 said:

I'm usually not a fan of princess cuts- but your set is to die for!!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

The eye candy in this thread is amazing!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

:shock: Dang Haven I never get tired of looking at your ring. A beauty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results