shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog Should you consider vintage engagement rings?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have no problem buying a vintage ER if the diamond does not need repolishing and the price is right. This site has taught me about old cuts which I know love.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple thoughts.

After a divorce or death diamonds are not thrown away.
Of course some are inherited and squirreled away in a safe deposit box.
Some reenter the system, recut, and re-graded then sold as new by reputable jewelers.

Try asking your local jeweler for the provenance of that diamond there in the case.
You're likely to get a blank stare.
Provenance is proudy touted at Sotheby's on 100 carat D IFs, but on diamonds for the masses - not so much.

CBI, Crafted by Infinity, is the only cutter I'm aware of offering truly "new" diamonds that include traceability back to the mine.
For others vendors, mum's the word, and in their defense, it's probably the same story from their suppliers.
Diamond sales is more an industry of discretion and security than transparency.

So, women who assume they are being prosed to with a newly-mined diamond (from even the highest-end jewelers) may be getting some other woman's (or women's) rock. Sorry.

But don't some women not want to be proposed to with a "used" diamond?
Just sayin.

It's nice there's a vintage market where a diamond's history is proudly revealed, instead of concealed.

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple thoughts.

After a divorce or death diamonds are not thrown away.
Sure some are inherited and squirreled away in a safe deposit box, but some reenter the system, recut re-graded and sold as new by reputable jewelers.

Try asking your local jeweler for the provenance of that diamond there in the case.
You're likely to get a blank stare.

CBI, Crafted by Infinity, is the only cutter I'm aware of offering truly "new" diamonds that include traceability back to the mine.
For others vendors, mum's the word, and the same story from their suppliers.
Diamond sales is an industry not exactly beaming with transparency.

So, women who assume they are being prosed to with a newly-mined diamond (from even the highest-end jewelers) may be getting some other woman's rock. Sorry.

But don't some woman not want to be proposed to with a "used" diamond?

Just sayin.

What about Gem Concepts? They sell “new” stones.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
aware of offering truly "new" diamonds that include traceability back to the mine.
I was pleasantly suprised at how many diamonds/suppliers had rough pictures and location available on RAP listings when I had access.
Many smaller cutters have had traceability back to at least a group of mines for a long time.
The information is just not passed forward routinely.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What about Gem Concepts? They sell “new” stones.
Yoram buys the rough himself so he knows what is going into each stone.
Rough pictures are often available.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I love things with a history - one could say a patina - so no, no problem with that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was pleasantly suprised at how many diamonds/suppliers had rough pictures and location available on RAP listings when I had access.
Many smaller cutters have had traceability back to at least a group of mines for a long time.
The information is just not passed forward routinely.

... which is the only part of that knowledge chain that matters to us lowly civilians. ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram buys the rough himself so he knows what is going into each stone.
Rough pictures are often available.

Kewl!

Karl, I'd loooove to know where the rough for my 1.51 G VS2 Octavia was mined, and when.
PleaseOpleaseOplease ask him for me. :mrgreen:
Rough pics would have great sentimental value for me too.

I hate to bother admin but we could both contact Ella or Andre and I'll give them permission for them to give you my email address - if you are in agreement.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Yoram at Gem Concepts sell directly to the public, or only through dealers?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Yoram at Gem Concepts sell directly to the public, or only through dealers?

In 2017, he sold directly to me. This was a new venture for him, at that time, and he was introducing himself to direct customer enterprise.
He has his own boutique online, and advertises on Instagram. You can send him a DM, and exchange emails. He replies, himself.
He will post rough to final product, if you follow him on IG. You will see he is transparent; he’ll even give the location of each rough. It’s fascinating!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.

I'm not on IG, FB, SC, TW or any of those things.
It creeps me out how they spy on you and sell your personal info.
No thanks.

Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.

I'm not on IG, FB, SC, TW or any of those things.
It creeps me out how they spy on you and sell your personal info.
No thanks.

Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results