shape
carat
color
clarity

Should little kids be banned from some restaurants?

Should small kids be banned from some restaurants?

• Yes

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm from Europe and I voted yes. If I'm spending lots of money on a nice dinner with my DH I do not want it ruined by a screaming child. I know that there are lot of children who are well-behaved but to me, I would definitely patronize a restaurant where there is no risk of running into a child that isn't well behaved. I agree with purselover that by the time a screaming child is removed, I've already had my dinner disturbed.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1310567796|2968017 said:
ksinger|1310516186|2967627 said:
Zoe|1310515008|2967618 said:
MC|1310491843|2967359 said:
Children shouldnt be banned from resturants. I think parents should use common sense when taking their kids out to eat. I also think those who want a quiet evening out should pick a place that children are less likely to be brought.

I agree. I'm surprised that so many people agree with banning kids from restaurants.

I'm more surprised that banning small kids from some restaurants has somehow become banning all kids from all restaurants.

ETA - and I just have to say, what IS it these days that people take it as axiomatic that children MUST be loud, boisterous, and disruptive and other people just need to sit down, shut up and suck it up? Did I miss something at some point in the last 40 years? :confused:

I would have been ON the plate if I'd done any of that at a restaurant.

I do think it's wrong that some parents don't make more of an effort to teach their children dos and don'ts at restaurants. I just think that in general, if a family with young children want to go out for dinner, they're probably not going to choose a super high-end place anyway.

Also, the owner of the restaurant mentioned wants to ban children who are 6 and under. Why those ages? There could be a very well-behaved 4 year old who sits quietly at the table while a 7 year old could be a brat and behave horribly.

Because there is no imaginable way that rules will ever be fair to everyone? That is the very nature of rules. Endless extenuating circumstances - no matter how well rationalized: "but that's not FAIR - MY child acts like a demure and thoughtful college student at age 3!! so why should I be impacted??" - effectively result in there being no standards at all. And really, isn't that what we have pretty much anymore - in schools (how hard is it to hold a child back, no matter how needed? The excuses and 'buts' come in WAVES.) and every walk of life? Even the most basic public manners must now be legislated or ruled to death because everyone is so concerned about themselves and their rights to self-expression rather than fitting in or dare I say it, playing by...rules. This mindset has been taken to nauseating extremes, and unfortunately, you often end up with solutions such as this. It isn't perfect, but ya gotta do SOMETHING.

IF a restaurant is going to implement such a policy - as is their right, it must be clear and simple and a solid line: no children under (insert age that owner thinks appropriate based on his/her experiences/observations and the clientele he is after AND that he is willing to lose). Period. You don't have to agree with it - some will some won't, just take it or leave it. No whining.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a problem with higher-end restaurants "banning" children or being "adults only". I have 3 young children 6 and under and generally they are very well behaved (but still children!). I don't even try to bring them to nice restaurants because for the money, it's not enjoyable to be at that type of place with young kids. If I'm spending $$ on a nice meal I want to savor and enjoy it, which I can't do with young kids around. So with the kids we stick to family-friendly places where we don't have to wince if they act like children- that's what they are after all!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1310579640|2968177 said:
Because there is no imaginable way that rules will ever be fair to everyone? That is the very nature of rules. Endless extenuating circumstances - no matter how well rationalized: "but that's not FAIR - MY child acts like a demure and thoughtful college student at age 3!! so why should I be impacted??" - effectively result in there being no standards at all. And really, isn't that what we have pretty much anymore - in schools (how hard is it to hold a child back, no matter how needed? The excuses and 'buts' come in WAVES.) and every walk of life? Even the most basic public manners must now be legislated or ruled to death because everyone is so concerned about themselves and their rights to self-expression rather than fitting in or dare I say it, playing by...rules. This mindset has been taken to nauseating extremes, and unfortunately, you often end up with solutions such as this. It isn't perfect, but ya gotta do SOMETHING.

IF a restaurant is going to implement such a policy - as is their right, it must be clear and simple and a solid line: no children under (insert age that owner thinks appropriate based on his/her experiences/observations and the clientele he is after AND that he is willing to lose). Period. You don't have to agree with it - some will some won't, just take it or leave it. No whining.

Big. Fat. Ditto.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1310485144|2967270 said:
I see no issue with a restaurant banning kids. In my opinion, it's no different than a couples-only resort. If a restaurant is trying to cater to an adult-only crowd, I think it's smart to market itself as a kid-free oasis.

100% agree. Children don't have to be everywhere.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Children shouldnt be banned from resturants. I think parents should use common sense when taking their kids out to eat. I also think those who want a quiet evening out should pick a place that children are less likely to be brought.

Dh and i love a mexican resturant which is known for being extremely loud. So loud, in fact, that dh and i often have to raise our voices to talk. Great place for kids. There was a couple there who kept giving us dirty looks...um, that is THEIR problem for picking that particular resturant. The clinking dishes were 10x louder.

MC, you are right and wrong in this case. Yes, parents should use common sense when taking thier children to eat, but most do not. I've worked in the restaurant business for 15 years on and off - I do not work in child friendly establishments. the two places i have worked in the last 15 years average $50 to $75 per head, and that's being conservative. These are exactly the kind of establishments that adults would choose to eat if they don't want to see children....however, people still bring their children to dine. Not only that, people allow their children to behave in ways that i find to be absolutely shameful.

yes, i support the idea of banning children from fine dining restaurants if the establishment chooses.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't care if I'm in Chucky Cheese or a Michelin starred restaurant -- unruly kids and adults should be asked to settle down and failing that, be asked to leave.

There are times when I think I should be banned from a restaurant as I have lost the knack of feeding myself without wearing my food and I usually end up knocking over a beverage -- usually someone else's; and my hubby definitely should be banned -- he stuffs his cheeks like a chipmunk and tries to have a conversation. Who wants to look into a gaping hole filled with mashed food. He's a bit lax with a napkin too and it's difficult to keep a straight face when someone has a long piece of organic material oozing over the lip and wafting in the breeze over the chin.

Call me crazy, old, old-fashioned, whatev, but I'd simply like to see a return to good manners and consideration for others and no tolerance (Kenny -- are ya reading this -- I said no tolerance :devil: ) for boorish behavior.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ksinger -- I know what you mean, I just think differently than you do. I know what you're saying about needing to start somewhere, but I'm not sure this would be the place.

If I passed by a restaurant with a sign that said, "No children under the age of X permitted," I'd probably do a double-take. Even though I wouldn't agree with the ban, it probably wouldn't make me stay away if it was a place I wanted to dine.

I've been lucky that I haven't encountered extremely unruly behavior from children in a restaurant. If I do, however, I might speak to the manager or something but maybe not. I guess it would depend on the situation.

I'll have to ask my friends with kids how they feel about this.

ETA: Ksinger -- For what it's worth, I read your post to my husband and he was in complete agreement with you. :bigsmile:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
charbie|1310525201|2967758 said:
lbbaber|1310524023|2967732 said:
Someone mentioned a thread about a plane that caused heated responses but there is a big difference between a restaurant and a plane that would cause parents to get upset. Banning children from certain resturants--no big deal. We can just choose another restaurant to bring our kids to (and yes I voted its ok to ban kids under 6 even though I'm a mom). But when we need to travel we have NO CHOICE but to bring our little one's on planes sometime. I could see why that thread would get heated.

And to add-- in college I waiting tables at fine dining restaurants--its amazing how many parents simply don't care what kind of ruckus their kids cause :nono:
Guilty. And I totally understand what you're saying. I was pointing out that AN mentioned "controlling" small children. Parents of even the most well behaved children cannot always "control" them. I've noticed in a few places on PS when someone uses the words "control your kids" it can get ugly...whether talking about a backyard BBQ or a plane ride.

Charbie, I understand :D I wasn't trying to stir trouble. The plane part brought back some bad memories!!! I've seen some really nasty fights go down on airplanes when kids get cranky. My point has always been if you want to be away from kids while flying then fly 1st class. I would never bring my children in 1st class (regardless of the money) bc I do feel like there should be somewhere adults can escape on a plane. But don't fly coach and then complain that there are kids (especially on flights going into Orlando :roll: :lol: )

I wish I could learn to "control" my 13 month old--lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what? I don't get why everyone is so big on the government interfering in every aspect of life. The parents I know do not take small kids that are incapable of behaving to "nicer" more intimate restaurants. They have common sense. I have never been in a "nice" restaurant and had a problem with a screaming or misbehaving child.

No I think regulating whether or not kids are allowed is asinine. Completely a waste of time. And a waste or breath.

Teaching children how to behave in public is the key. NOT keeping them out of sight.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1310543022|2967883 said:
charbie|1310523180|2967718 said:
NovemberBride|1310522218|2967704 said:
Autumnovember|1310521368|2967690 said:
Yes, they should.

Mainly because there are some parents out there who really have absolutely no idea how to control their children.

Why should my child be penalized because some parents do not control their children?
NB: Im only asking because I'm curious and my only child is in utero, and not trying to be offensive, but does your child enjoy dining really nice restaurants? Id imagine it cannot be much fun for small kids to eat somewhere that is designed for an adult crowd. What does a kid eat at a place with $100 plates if there is no kids menu? Again, I ask bc im curious, and I wouldn't want to shell out tons of cash for a 5 yr old to eat at a super nice restaurant.

I don't understand the concept of or the need for separate food for children. My parents didn't bring me up to eat differently to them and I wouldn't want to order from a 'kids menu' for my child. Even in quite nice restaurants, the things intended for children to eat can often be often poorer quality than the adult meals. My child can eat processed chicken or potato shapes or food made into smiley faces or fries or whatever round about the time hell freezes over. In the meantime, she can have a half portion of something from the menu, which she'll choose, eat and enjoy. All the restaurants we go to will have a few dishes I know she'll enjoy, things like fish or smoked fish, a plate of olives and crudites or a fruit-based dessert, for example. I never made separate food for her at home and I'm not going to start ordering it when we go out. She loves food and enjoys being out like that. If she felt differently about the whole thing, we wouldn't take her out to eat. I also tend not to take her out if we're going with a crowd - she needs a little more attention that that implies to keep her behaviour as good as we need it to be in a restaurant.

eta kid's menus 'arrived' suddenly in Scotland about ten or so years ago. Maybe they're different elsewhere, but they are pretty grim here, in the main. Before that, we just ordered smaller portions for our children.

Sorry, I should have worded my question better. What I meant was, do these restaurants sell plates at a lesser price (ie kids menu pricing) or do you have to shell out $100 for a steak or piece of chilean sea bass for your 3 year old? The cost alone of eating out for my husband and I at the "fancier" restaurants deters us, so I cannot imagine adding a kid who won't appreciate the flavors the way I do. I agree that children's menus can be a crock of crap. We typically did not order from a kid's menu when I was younger, my parents would get an entree and split it amongst my sisters and I on occasion...we didn't eat out much though. Thank you for answering my question- I really was curious about how restaurants handle this.

Growing up for me, you didn't like what my mom was serving for dinner, well, you had to take a "no thank you portion"- aka a few bites. after that, you were on your own to figure something out for dinner-we quickly learned to like whatever my mom was cooking. my husband is a bland eater...i don't like to say a picky eater because he does eat a number of items, but i have to prepare something for him that doesn't have the spices, herbs, or any creative aspect whatsoever because his mom raised him that way, since she didn't like any spices, herbs, what have you. His brother and sister are also the same way, and it makes me cringe- I loooooove complex flavors, and will try anything. I've told my MIL that our daughter will not be allowed to eat around her if she is going to continue making negative comments when I order something other than broiled chicken from a restaurant, because my daughter will not grow up with the attitude that flavors=bad.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride|1310566283|2967999 said:
charbie|1310523180|2967718 said:
NovemberBride|1310522218|2967704 said:
Autumnovember|1310521368|2967690 said:
Yes, they should.

Mainly because there are some parents out there who really have absolutely no idea how to control their children.

Why should my child be penalized because some parents do not control their children?
NB: Im only asking because I'm curious and my only child is in utero, and not trying to be offensive, but does your child enjoy dining really nice restaurants? Id imagine it cannot be much fun for small kids to eat somewhere that is designed for an adult crowd. What does a kid eat at a place with $100 plates if there is no kids menu? Again, I ask bc im curious, and I wouldn't want to shell out tons of cash for a 5 yr old to eat at a super nice restaurant.

Charbie,

I should clarify, we don't take her to really fancy places. But that said, we are not huge fans of chain restaurants, so we eat at a lot of places that don't have separate kids menus (not because they are so fancy, in many cases just because they are small, independent restaurants.) Also, I think it is important for kids to eat healthy and eat lots of different things so we often don't order off the kids menu for her because it usually consists of hot dogs, chicken nuggets and fries. We are much more likely to order her something off the adult menu and then we take the leftovers home. It is admittedly more expensive, but she gets several meals out of it. I will say that we are lucky in that DD is not a typical picky toddler. She eats almost anything we give her (one of her favorite things is calamari!)

Thanks for answering! As I said, I asked because I was curious. I agree 100% that children need to learn from a young age to try new foods and not be afraid of something they haven't tried! It is like pulling teeth to get DH to try new things, an it amazes him when he discovers that not all vegetables are bad! I hope my own DD will get my taste buds...I'm going to be in BIG trouble if she gets her eating habits from her dad!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1310607522|2968438 said:
Teaching children how to behave in public is the key. NOT keeping them out of sight.

take them to other restaurants and then bring them to the 6 and older establishment once they turn 6 and have learned basic good public behavior, please.

i grant you that my attitude results from having a kid from another table crawling under my chair and bumping me while i tried to eat and the mother complaining to me when they left that i spoiled their evening because i objected to being bumped into. sigh.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Charbie, your No-Flavor MIL sounds like she'd be fun to have dinner with... :bigsmile:

None of the restaurants we've been to have objected to making a smaller plate for the kid, although it hasn't always been cheap. Fair enough - if we go somewhere we know uses the best produce, we do expect to pay and when it comes to fish, our favourite restaurant pick, the kid can eat as much as I can, easily a whole fillet of seabass or smoked haddock (local speciality). She's like a dyson.

My take on this whole thing would likely be 100% different if I had a child who wasn't so excited by food and who didn't enjoy being out with us like this.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmph. I like kids. I don't like them while I'm spending a ton (meaning more than $100)...

I had an experience last week, which I think you'll all find humorous!

Here goes:

I walked into a bakehouse/deli. It was after 5, and this particular bakehouse stays open, oh, from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. and then some, depending on what they have to sell. So, I give a very wide berth to the family in front of me which consists of a mother (who's very well dressed, well put-together, etc.) and her (at least) 5 children. All of a sudden, 3 year old is screaming! Mom says, "would you like ice cream or a cookie?" She then looks at the cashier and asks about day old cookies! He says what he says...no day old cookies...she orders ice cream and cookies. It's 5 p.m. I'm waiting in line for a salad.

Suddenly (seriously, suddenly) the youngest of these kids hauls off and PUNCHES ME in the thigh, and then HEAD BUTTS ME IN THE THIGH!

Funniest thing ever. Except, I walked out of the restaurant. Not cool. Lady did NOT have her kids controlled, period. I got one lame "sorry," from the mother...and that was it, WHICH I UNDERSTAND.

But really? 5 minutes later, some dude from this place brought me two $4 cupcakes to make up for it. I did NOT even want them.

What do you DO?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1310632746|2968613 said:
Hmmph. I like kids. I don't like them while I'm spending a ton (meaning more than $100)...

I had an experience last week, which I think you'll all find humorous!

Here goes:

I walked into a bakehouse/deli. It was after 5, and this particular bakehouse stays open, oh, from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. and then some, depending on what they have to sell. So, I give a very wide berth to the family in front of me which consists of a mother (who's very well dressed, well put-together, etc.) and her (at least) 5 children. All of a sudden, 3 year old is screaming! Mom says, "would you like ice cream or a cookie?" She then looks at the cashier and asks about day old cookies! He says what he says...no day old cookies...she orders ice cream and cookies. It's 5 p.m. I'm waiting in line for a salad.

Suddenly (seriously, suddenly) the youngest of these kids hauls off and PUNCHES ME in the thigh, and then HEAD BUTTS ME IN THE THIGH!

Funniest thing ever. Except, I walked out of the restaurant. Not cool. Lady did NOT have her kids controlled, period. I got one lame "sorry," from the mother...and that was it, WHICH I UNDERSTAND.

But really? 5 minutes later, some dude from this place brought me two $4 cupcakes to make up for it. I did NOT even want them.

What do you DO?

Unreal, Monarch.

Personally, I feel sorry for those children. To have a parent like that?? Can you imagine the utter chaos in that woman's home?? That kid is going to be messed up and dealing his whole life with his parents' inability to properly raise him, and will very likely perpetuate that same crap unto the next generation.

The real issue with all of these scenarios - and this is something that too many people just cannot get through their skulls - is as my mother always told me, not kids, it's PARENTS. The people not wanting children in certain restaurants are not making some statement that they hate kids, it's that they don't trust the parents to do their jobs. And with good reason - so many people today are just flat out overmatched by a 3 year-old, as that woman demonstrated. :rolleyes: Yes darling, scream and I'll get you icecream or a cookie! :rolleyes: Like all children I threw a temper tantrum in public as a young child too. ONCE. I did not receive a cookie for it I assure you. My mom abandoned the grocery basket - we did NOT go through the checkout - I got hustled out of that store instantly, and she made it very clear in no uncertain terms that I would regret doing that ever again. She meant it and I darn well knew it. I never did that again. I'm sure the people in the store were silently cheering.

My mom drilled into my head that if people cringe when your children enter the room, they don't hate children, they probably want to deck YOU. YOU are doing a bad job. It is a reflection on YOU. P.E.R.I.O.D. Of course as many here have noted, the people who have that type of children are the ones who - if you say anything at all when Little Johnny punches you or vivisects your cat - start bellowing to high heaven that you must hate kids. :rolleyes: No lady, I despise YOU for inflicting your pathologies on your poor kids, on us, and for raising the next screwed up generation who will have no clue how to raise their own kids.

People don't generally hate children. We are actually wired to LIKE children. It's in our DNA after all. Children can be an utter joy. IF parents do their jobs.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1310506659|2967534 said:
Pretty much every other diner in a public restaurant has the potential to 'go off' in someone's book, one way or another. The cellphone example is a good one.

Some people are offended by certain words or types of language - you might sit next to someone who uses a word that offends you. Some people are offended by public displays of affection - you might sit next to a couple who kiss or hold hands. Some people are offended by those who drink what they deem to be too much alcohol - you might sit next to a group who order a lot of drinks. The list goes on.....

I think at some point you may have to consider whether eating in a public place is really for you.

Incidentally, it take a lot to offend me. An awful lot. However, coming from a culture where firearms are illegal and largely reviled, I am offended by the likening of a well mannered child to a loaded gun. Pretty much the most offensive thing I've read on PS, to tell the truth. I wasn't going to bring it up because I recognise that my outlook is probably much to do with where I live, but I found that to be very, very unpleasant.

I wish I could "like" this comment. Really, Kenny? Guns? :nono:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger|1310651045|2968717 said:
My mom drilled into my head that if people cringe when your children enter the room, they don't hate children, they probably want to deck YOU. YOU are doing a bad job. It is a reflection on YOU. P.E.R.I.O.D. Of course as many here have noted, the people who have that type of children are the ones who - if you say anything at all when Little Johnny punches you or vivisects your cat - start bellowing to high heaven that you must hate kids. :rolleyes: No lady, I despise YOU for inflicting your pathologies on your poor kids, on us, and for raising the next screwed up generation who will have no clue how to raise their own kids.

Your mom sounds very wise. Actually a lot of parents DO know how to bring up kids, then they forget entirely how to bring up grandkids. So occasionally there are lapses of judgement that go on for say... 45 years.

Yes, you are spot on. With terrible kids I would despise the parents for their seemingly socially impaired misbehaving children.

I don't know why people get offended when kids are referenced to anything at all. A lot of times, the child would have done something to have earned the reference. I think this thread is an eye opener for people are shocked to read the strong feelings people have towards parents and badly behaved children. For the other camp, it is more of an opportunity to vent shared frustrations.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was pg w/London we went to the Omaha zoo and were in the area w/the nocturnal animals. We were standing next to the railing and a family was behind us letting their 3 year old push this huge cart thing they were hauling kids and their gear around in-the child rammed into me hard enough that my head snapped back, my arms went flying forward and I was smashed into the railing-petrified something would happen to the baby. I had absolutely no clue what happened, all I knew was something kept ramming into me and shoving me and every time I tried to move away I got hit again. If I hadn't been so scared/hurt I'd have laughed b/c JD ripped the cart thing away from the kid and then growled at them that they could all stand at the railing while he shoved the cart into them.

If I was standing in line and some little kid started hitting/head butting me, I would have no problem leaning down and smiling and saying "Want to see who can hit harder? My turn next" Mom can stick it up her rear. And if MY child thought it was funny to do that (not that he'd have been allowed out of his seat to begin with) I would have exploded out of the chair and hauled him out of there.

My kids aren't perfect by any means but by golly straighten up and fly right or sit in the truck.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TristanC|1310655180|2968764 said:
ksinger|1310651045|2968717 said:

Your mom sounds very wise. Actually a lot of parents DO know how to bring up kids, then they forget entirely how to bring up grandkids. So occasionally there are lapses of judgement that go on for say... 45 years.

Yes, you are spot on. With terrible kids I would despise the parents for their seemingly socially impaired misbehaving children.

I don't know why people get offended when kids are referenced to anything at all. A lot of times, the child would have done something to have earned the reference. I think this thread is an eye opener for people are shocked to read the strong feelings people have towards parents and badly behaved children. For the other camp, it is more of an opportunity to vent shared frustrations.

I was offended by one comment in this thread, not by the concept or the discussion. I will say though, If people parent very badly indeed, I doubt they'll care much about anyone else's frustrations on the matter. If raising an actual child with boundaries, good manners and respect for others isn't enough of an incentive to good parenting, I'd be surprised if the frustrations of strangers would have an overwhelming impact on their approach to the exercise. You're preaching to the choir, I think. I haven't seen anyone here defend their child's right to behave badly in a restaurant, after all... ;))

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1310579640|2968177 said:
Zoe|1310567796|2968017 said:
ksinger|1310516186|2967627 said:
Zoe|1310515008|2967618 said:

I agree. I'm surprised that so many people agree with banning kids from restaurants.

I'm more surprised that banning small kids from some restaurants has somehow become banning all kids from all restaurants.

ETA - and I just have to say, what IS it these days that people take it as axiomatic that children MUST be loud, boisterous, and disruptive and other people just need to sit down, shut up and suck it up? Did I miss something at some point in the last 40 years? :confused:

I would have been ON the plate if I'd done any of that at a restaurant.

I do think it's wrong that some parents don't make more of an effort to teach their children dos and don'ts at restaurants. I just think that in general, if a family with young children want to go out for dinner, they're probably not going to choose a super high-end place anyway.

Also, the owner of the restaurant mentioned wants to ban children who are 6 and under. Why those ages? There could be a very well-behaved 4 year old who sits quietly at the table while a 7 year old could be a brat and behave horribly.

ITA! Thanks, Ksinger.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As a parent, I say sure why not. Restaurants are businesses and businesses should have the right to deny entrance or service to whomever they want.

When we were kidless, we went to a $300/pp restaurant and there were 2 kids eating with their parents there, and one of them was younger, maybe 2 and had a few rowdy moments where the parents had to take him outside a few times. Why bother? Just get a babysitter and take yourselves out to a night place for a night. Spare yourselves and the patrons. I would still not do that with my kid today. While my kid behaves himself pretty decently out at a restaurant, it's still not super enjoyable for me esp at a 5 star restaurant where you're having a wine flight with your foie gras.

If it's a kid-friendly place though, and the kid is out at 5:30pm where there are 50 other kids in the place with their parents, totally appropriate. This is where we take our kid. These aren't chain restaurants, they're usually small and family owned. It's easy to tell if a place is child-friendly because they have high chairs and cups with straws for the kids and/or coloring placemats. There are a lot of places around here like that which serve up amazing food, but are still ok with my kid being there.

As for leaving it up to the parents to decide what is and isn't appropriate, I have seen too many parents whose judgement on where is 'child appropriate' can be questionable. I see nothing wrong with a business owner making that decision for them. And the parents can vote with their money if they agree/disagree.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1310607522|2968438 said:
You know what? I don't get why everyone is so big on the government interfering in every aspect of life. The parents I know do not take small kids that are incapable of behaving to "nicer" more intimate restaurants. They have common sense. I have never been in a "nice" restaurant and had a problem with a screaming or misbehaving child.

No I think regulating whether or not kids are allowed is asinine. Completely a waste of time. And a waste or breath.

Gypsy, your friends may have common sense but there is a LARGE quantity of parents who do not. And while you may never have had an experience with an irritating child at dinner in a nice restaurant, I assure you it happens more than you think. I spend a lot more time in fine dining restaurants (because i have worked in them for 15 years) than many other people will in their entire lifetimes. My restaurant allows children, and carries high chairs to accomodate them. However, on numerous occasions, those young children act terribly and their parents do nothing to stop it, and YES it DOES irritate the adults dining in the restaurant.

It is not asinine in any way to try to run your business as effectively as possible, and create a pleasant experience for people spending hundreds of dollars on an evening of dinner. Your idea of teaching children to behave being the key is a great one -- in theory. However, in real life we are having this debate because this is exactly what many people do NOT do.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I said no, but it doesn't mean I am not offended by badly behaved children. If I said yes, then I would also want to ban loud people, and those without good manners from restaurants, as I am equally offended by these people. A restaurant has the right to ask patrons to leave if they are disturbing others, and if they are a formal, nice restaurant, they should have to plan to handle families with ill-behaved children. My two favorite restaurants are "nice" but not formal restaurants (both serve sushi), and they are family friendly. They consistently seat families with small children away from the rest of the patrons. I think this is a reasonable solution.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Maria D|1310494813|2967394 said:
I don't want to deal with kids doing anything other than sitting at a table and eating/acting appropriately at any restaurant at any time. Some of the stuff I've seen clueless parents allow at kid-friendly restaurants is appalling. Just because you're at Chili's doesn't mean it's OK to walk your toddler up and down letting him point to things on others' tables. I get that he's young and restless. Eat at home. I once saw a coffee-pot toting waitress nearly trip over a kid that was running around the restaurant. It was a Friendly's (burgers and ice-cream joint) which is the perfect place to take your whole family -- but it doesn't mean you stop parenting.

I did not read the article but I would imagine they chose to restrict to six years and up because they figure that even the best behaved smaller children are going to get bored and restless at a formal restaurant. They probably figure that parents of kids older than that would know their own kids and act accordingly (ha, this could be wishful thinking!). I don't have any problem with it. In my experience, the pricier the restaurant the less likely people are to bring restless kids/fussy babies in the first place. It seems to be the kid-friendly places where some think it's OK to let their kids go wild.

+1 to all of this. Kids shouldn't be allowed to run amok at any restaurant except Chuck E. Cheese...it's called PARENTING, people! And there's no problem with well-behaved kids at a family-friendly place like Friendly's, Chili's, Applebee's, etc. I don't think kids should be seen and not heard or kept at home all the time so they don't get in anyone's way. But fancy, expensive restaurants, places that you go to for the atmosphere as much as the food...I think kids have no place there. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with business owners making their businesses more comfortable for their customers.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted NO, but not because I think it is a good idea to take your toddler to an $$$$ restaurant. I just do not like children-unfriendly or animal-unfriendly signs. It can be worded differently, something like, due to alcohol license of the restaurant, children are allowed to sit at the balcony only... Restrict an area, but not make it sound prohibitive.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
crasru|1310706044|2969424 said:
I voted NO, but not because I think it is a good idea to take your toddler to an $$$$ restaurant. I just do not like children-unfriendly or animal-unfriendly signs. It can be worded differently, something like, due to alcohol license of the restaurant, children are allowed to sit at the balcony only... Restrict an area, but not make it sound prohibitive.

I think that's what I don't like most of all. Good point, Crasru!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1310702043|2969400 said:
Maria D|1310494813|2967394 said:
+1 to all of this. Kids shouldn't be allowed to run amok at any restaurant except Chuck E. Cheese...it's called PARENTING, people! And there's no problem with well-behaved kids at a family-friendly place like Friendly's, Chili's, Applebee's, etc. I don't think kids should be seen and not heard or kept at home all the time so they don't get in anyone's way. But fancy, expensive restaurants, places that you go to for the atmosphere as much as the food...I think kids have no place there. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with business owners making their businesses more comfortable for their customers.

pretty much sums it up for those of us that voted "yes" i think.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I haven't commented on this thread yet because I was worried about coming across as anti-kid. One thing I think people need to keep in mind here though is that the thread subject line says "Should little kids be banned from SOME restaurants?" This doesn't mean that kids shouldn't be allowed at restaurants period. The rule at this particular restaurant probably exists because not all parents use common sense. I've seen young children in Michelin star restaurants after 8:00pm and that just doesn't make sense to me. The best behaved child is going to be fussy when they're kept out late and forced to sit in a high backed chair for hours. Meals at that kind of restaurant are expensive, generally not kid friendly (well for most kids) and they take a long time to get through! Eating at a high end restaurant is an experience, and one that isn't really appropriate for most children.

Rules like this are cropping up because some parents feel entitled to continue their old lifestyle with child in tow. I've actually seen parents ask if a high end restaurant could make chicken fingers and fries for their 3 year old because they don't think they'll eat off of the menu. They were in a huff when the chef refused (but suggested variations on menu items that would make them more kid friendly). The didn't want to pay the menu prices for their child who wouldn't eat half of the meal. Obviously they should have hired a sitter or picked a more child friendly restaurant!

I see this trend a lot recently. I was shocked by the overall lack of consideration shown by some parents during my last trip to Las Vegas. I went to the late showing of Cirque du Soleil on my first night and there was a father arguing with the staff because his young child wasn't allowed to watch with him and his wife. Um...the website where you order tickets has a big warning on the top of the screen saying that children under 5 aren't allowed. Even without the warning, its obvious that taking a very young child to a show that starts at 9:00pm and runs until 11:00pm is probably not a good idea. The tickets are expensive and the other patrons don't need to deal with a tired child. There was also a couple at the pool who rented a cabana and proceeded to get trashed while their toddler wandered around the edge of the pool. The cabanas are near the back of the pool complex so they couldn't even see their kid half of the time. The kid wasn't disturbing me, but I was disturbed because I felt that I had to keep an eye on the poor little guy while his parents were downing their drinks. There were also countless parents in a huff because their children weren't allowed to sit next to them while they gambled! It was really an eye opener to how bad some parents really are.

Its the parents who aren't willing to change their habits to accommodate the needs of their child who make rules like this one necessary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results