shape
carat
color
clarity

Should light flow through an oval diamond this clearly?

Nicm

Rough_Rock
Is it a sign of very poor light performance, or am I over analysing?
I had noticed the side before (1st pic) and decided it wasn't worth returning over, but I have just noticed the light through the top/bottom and am about a week past my return window with JA. I don't have a scope or ASET.

20210221_193940.jpg 20210221_194027.jpg 20210221_194048.jpg 20210221_194104.jpg 20210221_194109.jpg 20210221_194117.jpg 20210221_194123.jpg 20210221_194138.jpg 20210221_194143.jpg 20210221_194218.jpg 20210221_194230.jpg 20210221_194242.jpg 20210221_194300.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are overanalysing. What does it look like face up?

Nicm

Rough_Rock
You do not assess light performance from that angle.

Thank you.

virtual perfectly cut mrb in aset at similar angle.
asetbottomtilt.jpg

This really puts my mind at ease, thank you!
You are overanalysing. What does it look like face up?

I thought I might be, thank you. I like it but it isn't perfect, though I've been obsessing over diamonds for a year now so am thinking I just can't afford what I think is perfect - or it doesn't exist.

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

This really puts my mind at ease, thank you!

I thought I might be, thank you. I like it but it isn't perfect, though I've been obsessing over diamonds for a year now so am thinking I just can't afford what I think is perfect - or it doesn't exist.

I hear ya, in reviewing ovals for almost a year, I never saw a single one in particular that blew me away in terms of brilliance or fire etc., I did see some really bad bow ties though. After having too many disappear as soon as I made up my mind to purchase them, I feel like I sort of "settled", but I'm very happy with my stone (coming around to the setting), I think the key is to stop comparing to other ones, as long as you find one that meets your expectations of how you want it to look, I think you'll find you'll be happy.

In regards to your original question though... if you are wearing it around the house, running errands, walking outside, that's how I would be judging if I'm happy with its light return. You may find that an oval is not the shape for you if your expectations are blinding light sparkle because I just don't think that exists with ovals, or at least it's very rare.

Hope this helps from another over analyzing, oval diamond obsessor :)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The photos at the beginning show a novel approach that a consumer created for their own use and communication with forum members. Maybe there is something here that demonstrates some useful information, but I don't think so. Light return measurements and tools such as ASET and IS depend on a fixed lighting environment. Even the best diamond cuts leak light in many directions that go unmeasured. The top view is of greatest importance and that's where light performance in diamonds is graded. The best of Ideal cuts set upside down would not be impressive to viewers.

Nicm

Rough_Rock
I hear ya, in reviewing ovals for almost a year, I never saw a single one in particular that blew me away in terms of brilliance or fire etc., I did see some really bad bow ties though. After having too many disappear as soon as I made up my mind to purchase them, I feel like I sort of "settled", but I'm very happy with my stone (coming around to the setting), I think the key is to stop comparing to other ones, as long as you find one that meets your expectations of how you want it to look, I think you'll find you'll be happy.

In regards to your original question though... if you are wearing it around the house, running errands, walking outside, that's how I would be judging if I'm happy with its light return. You may find that an oval is not the shape for you if your expectations are blinding light sparkle because I just don't think that exists with ovals, or at least it's very rare.

Hope this helps from another over analyzing, oval diamond obsessor :)

@kasia109 thank you so much for sharing this! It's good to hear I'm not alone in becoming obsessed with finding the perfect oval. I was also feeling like I 'settled', but I think I was hoping to find something that only existed in my mind. Having been searching for a new diamond for so long, I found myself only looking at what I could find 'wrong' with each stone rather than what was beautiful about it. I'm glad you're now feeling happy with your stone. So am I! I'm looking at mine as I type and it really is beautiful. :D Thanks again!

The photos at the beginning show a novel approach that a consumer created for their own use and communication with forum members. Maybe there is something here that demonstrates some useful information, but I don't think so. Light return measurements and tools such as ASET and IS depend on a fixed lighting environment. Even the best diamond cuts leak light in many directions that go unmeasured. The top view is of greatest importance and that's where light performance in diamonds is graded. The best of Ideal cuts set upside down would not be impressive to viewers.

@oldminer you have definitely helped ease my mind. I had a feeling I was being crazy, but I knew this was the place where I could find out. You saying that 'Even the best diamond cuts leak light in many directions that go unmeasured,' is just what I needed to read. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results