shape
carat
color
clarity

Should kids get R&R days?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I used OP to reference the original post, not original poster.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
The federal minimum for public school calendar "student days" is 180. Without that number the district receives no funding from the feds, so most states require it as well.

(MC, this is addressing where your question ended up going, not your original intent)

I figure take out your kid if you truly feel that he or she needs a break, you are after all their parent/guardian; just have them bring in the $130+/- per day in funding that their absence robbed from the school when they return. State funding is generally rewarded by attendance. Some districts have started asking for that money, voluntarily of course, but perhaps it could be mandated.

As an AP teacher, I have seen students need a bit of a break and I never discouraged amazing learning opportunities. Like Basil''s trip to France, we call those short-term intl. study-travel and students do projects to reflect on the experience and get credit. But yes, my hackles go up for example over kids missing a week of school for lil sis to compete at Disney in cheering. Um, every team gets to go so its not an honor, and the cheerers are like 7, why do their 17 yr old siblings also need to miss a week of school? For these people who have more money than sense, sure, just pay the $600+/- and take your kids away from learning. I guess it will help to alleviate overcrowding in the long run.
27.gif

Oh, and a former hs student of mine got a full ride to an Ivy for having never missed a single day of school from k-12. She was in the top 10% but not really a candidate for even getting into this school, yet they gave her a full ride because they saw her dedication and had a specifically endowed scholarship for such attributes. Just an anecdote there, but makes you think about taking them out, eh?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I think once kids get into high school they need a R&R day every once in a while, however, taking that day off means more stress trying to catch up what you missed. My daughter will pop an Advil and go to school with a fever so she does not miss a test, quiz, or taking notes.

The stress these teens are under is incomprehensible and school administrators know it, yet don't do much about it. That is probably why so many teens drink, do drugs, or just have anxiety issues. School starts at 7:25 am. Bus comes at 6:25 am. If you are in band/orchestra perfomances, rehearsals/performances sometimes go beyond 10 pm. In a play, rehearsals till 11pm. My daughter comments that some kids come to class late missing first period (homeroom is after 1st period.. I wonder why?) Minimum of 12 test/quizzes/week. Senior project that the school recommends you complete in sophomore year, because you will be too loaded down in junior and senior years. At least 2 term papers per year. PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP tests, State mandated tests, Volunteering( my daughter already has over 120 hrs logged in and she is only at the end of her sophomore year), Mandatory tutoring when you are in honor society, and trying to hold down a job to earn some cash for college. Plus trying to have a social life.

I think there should be at least 5 built in R&R days built into a teen's school year so they can regain some sanity and actually enjoy their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results