shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I tell my boyfriend to return this Tanzanite?

Bodangers

Rough_Rock
I returned the gemstone to Zales today! Thank you everyone for helping me get $600 back in my pocket :dance: They told me it would be near impossible to get a bigger, more saturated stone :lol:

Before I returned it, I went to another jewelry store to have them look at the stone under the microscope. Little did I know, the tipped was chipped!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bodangers|1475542460|4083376 said:
Arcadian|1475522092|4083268 said:
Cert number? Also Whats the stats on the stone? Ct weight means little but the circumference and depth tell a better story.

Oh she said it hasn't been graded and could be sent to GIA for certification for a small fee.The circumference and depth was not included as well. This is what she said
"Hi Bonnie

I just checked with my buyer and we have a few AAA round tanzs that are not certified at wholesale cost. I have .55 carats to 1.15 carats. These are a beautiful dark bluish violet investment grade. The prices range from 500$ to 1500$. I can always get the stone certified for you through GIA for a small fee but it can take a few weeks.

Thanks"

This is her website and she also sells on eBay http://auroragemstonejewelryco.jewelershowcase.com/browse/gemstones/shop-by-stone-type/calibrated-gems-by-type/tanzanite
what I bolded is a huge red flag. No but no. Sorry but no, Investment grade T is going to be a hella lot more expensive than 1500 dollars and a lot bigger than 2cts. Its not like we're talking bixbite here.

AGL is fine (and preferred) for colored stones, it doesn't need to be GIA. You could also send to AGL if you wanted. A gem brief is about 65 dollars I believe.

Another red flag, no diameter. Certainly you want to know diameter and depth. that can tell you if the stone is any good or not.

The stone linked above is 7mm round within budget and well cut + has video. I would ask them about that stone if you like it and see if you can get it to look at. That would be a stone to look at as they're also a highly vetted vendor with good return policy.

Thats something else you should be aware of especially on the internet, the return policy. Ask Paraiba about there's just to be sure.

Bodangers

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1475543659|4083384 said:
Cert number? Also Whats the stats on the stone? Ct weight means little but the circumference and depth tell a better story.

Oh she said it hasn't been graded and could be sent to GIA for certification for a small fee.The circumference and depth was not included as well. This is what she said
"Hi Bonnie

I just checked with my buyer and we have a few AAA round tanzs that are not certified at wholesale cost. I have .55 carats to 1.15 carats. These are a beautiful dark bluish violet investment grade. The prices range from 500$ to 1500$. I can always get the stone certified for you through GIA for a small fee but it can take a few weeks.

Thanks"

This is her website and she also sells on eBay http://auroragemstonejewelryco.jewelershowcase.com/browse/gemstones/shop-by-stone-type/calibrated-gems-by-type/tanzanite
what I bolded is a huge red flag. No but no. Sorry but no, Investment grade T is going to be a hella lot more expensive than 1500 dollars and a lot bigger than 2cts. Its not like we're talking bixbite here.

AGL is fine (and preferred) for colored stones, it doesn't need to be GIA. You could also send to AGL if you wanted. A gem brief is about 65 dollars I believe.

Another red flag, no diameter. Certainly you want to know diameter and depth. that can tell you if the stone is any good or not.

The stone linked above is 7mm round within budget and well cut + has video. I would ask them about that stone if you like it and see if you can get it to look at. That would be a stone to look at as they're also a highly vetted vendor with good return policy.

Thats something else you should be aware of especially on the internet, the return policy. Ask Paraiba about there's just to be sure.

When I asked her if she could ask the dealer to provide a video she said they don't give out their numbers? I don't know... When I asked for a "live" picture of the gem, she said the photographer was on vacation :eh: I will send the 7mm a message now. What about this one on the same site? It seems more saturated and it's cheaper although I don't know if purple is good. http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=4854

There's so many wolves out there!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bodangers|1475545253|4083391 said:
Arcadian|1475543659|4083384 said:

"Hi Bonnie

Thanks"

When I asked her if she could ask the dealer to provide a video she said they don't give out their numbers? I don't know... When I asked for a "live" picture of the gem, she said the photographer was on vacation :eh: I will send the 7mm a message now. What about this one on the same site? It seems more saturated and it's cheaper although I don't know if purple is good. http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=4854

There's so many wolves out there!
yes too many wolves out there.

The one you linked looks purple and for my tastes overly saturated. You will have to decide if you like that type of saturation (it can be quite dark in some situations) and if you like purple over blue, then it would be fine to go with as IMO its much more a personal preference.

I have issue with the brightness of each stone. for me the 7mm gives off more brightness, its a bit lighter which helps.

The larger stone IMO gives you the size at 7mm, so very good finger coverage. This one is 6mm so 1mm less. I'd notice that, some people wouldn't mind it, and again, its really about what you decide that you want in terms of finger coverage. The blue is closer what I'd consider as my ideal color than this one .

You want good saturation but not overly dark. You're not going to always be in a spotlight, and your stone will be in and out of different lighting conditions. Thats always something to consider. Both stones will shift in color, its the nature of the stone but also how it reacts to the light your in can have an impact as well.

If you can swing it, get both and return one. If not, try one at a time and see what works best for you.

Both look to be cut well but for brightness, I like the 7mm more.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, congratulations on returning the Zales stone! At least they gave you something to chuckle about when you went back..

Yeah, that other vendor seems sketchy. Even if they are legit, what terrible customer service.. Next!!

I'll echo the same sentiment about the smaller stone you found on PI. It does look "dark", whereas the larger, bluer stone looks "lighter" -- in tone. Its hard to say for certain, since photos are never perfect, but the smaller one looks a touch less saturated. You might also ask PI if they could do a side-by-side photo between the two.

Also, the 6.2 is 4.6mm deep, whereas the 7 is 4.5 deep. The 6.2 has a lot of weight in its height, which helps raise the price (higher ct) but doesnt help finger coverage...

A question for the ring experts - are any of these stones going to be easier set than others in, say, a stuller setting? It seems like this could be another plus for the 7, but I have no idea about what depths for well in stock settings...

Bodangers

Rough_Rock
chroman|1475550521|4083419 said:
First, congratulations on returning the Zales stone! At least they gave you something to chuckle about when you went back..

Yeah, that other vendor seems sketchy. Even if they are legit, what terrible customer service.. Next!!

I'll echo the same sentiment about the smaller stone you found on PI. It does look "dark", whereas the larger, bluer stone looks "lighter" -- in tone. Its hard to say for certain, since photos are never perfect, but the smaller one looks a touch less saturated. You might also ask PI if they could do a side-by-side photo between the two.

Also, the 6.2 is 4.6mm deep, whereas the 7 is 4.5 deep. The 6.2 has a lot of weight in its height, which helps raise the price (higher ct) but doesnt help finger coverage...

A question for the ring experts - are any of these stones going to be easier set than others in, say, a stuller setting? It seems like this could be another plus for the 7, but I have no idea about what depths for well in stock settings...

Thank you for sticking to the end Chroman and thank you everyone for giving me your opinions. I feel like this thread is dying lol.

After I ended up getting $600 back. I came across a beautiful tanzanite and diamond ring on eBay. Authentic THL Samuel Aaron 14k Yellow & White Gold 1.3C T.W.Tanzanite Diamond Ring Sz and cost only $130! I was able to haggle it to below $100. s-l1600_5.jpg

Pl hasn't responded yet so what's next for me is to keep looking until I find the perfect one at a good price. Of course i'll still lurk around here learning from the experts :D

Bodangers

Rough_Rock
chroman|1475550521|4083419 said:

Thank you for sticking to the end Chroman and thank you everyone for giving me your opinions. I feel like this thread is dying lol.

After I ended up getting $600 back. I came across a beautiful tanzanite and diamond ring on eBay. Authentic THL Samuel Aaron 14k Yellow & White Gold 1.3C T.W.Tanzanite Diamond Ring. It was a light purple which I am okay with. I was able to haggle it to below $100 shipped as well! s-l1600_5.jpg

Pl hasn't responded yet so what's next for me is to keep looking until I find the perfect one at a good price. Maybe I can even switch out the center stone once I graduate. Of course i'll still lurk around here learning from the experts :D

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find...while the tanzanites aren't "ideal", it's a very pretty ring! The setting alone is worth what you spent. I also think it would make a great trial ring...to see how tanzanites hold up to every day wear before you spend a lot on one. And if the tanzanites don't hold up or you eventually decide to invest in a more expensive one, you can replace the stones to make another colored stone ring. :naughty:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is unlikely a candidate for a nice saturated stone, but since we're talking about tanzanite on a budget I figured I'd throw it out there. It looks like its a lower saturation than your ideal, and thats reflected in the price. Its hard to read the vendor photos too well, so I cant tell what else is going on cut or color wise. Is it at least a medium saturation? Heck if I know..

But, it claims to be an 8x6 oval, which seems like it might fit into a stock setting reasonably. 1.17 ct, $80:
https://neweragems.com/product/tanzanite-3/

Given the price, if you're into tanzanite, it might be at least inquiring for more details..

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to get through a hurricane...lol I haven't run across anything lately but will see if anything else comes up.

Bodangers

Rough_Rock
lilmosun|1475808719|4084352 said:
Nice find...while the tanzanites aren't "ideal", it's a very pretty ring! The setting alone is worth what you spent. I also think it would make a great trial ring...to see how tanzanites hold up to every day wear before you spend a lot on one. And if the tanzanites don't hold up or you eventually decide to invest in a more expensive one, you can replace the stones to make another colored stone ring. :naughty:

You read my mind! I didn't know tanzanites weren't ideal for daily wear. It gave me second thoughts about splurging for one to set in a ring. I looked at the one from Zales under a microscope and I saw that it was a bit chipped at the tip!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results