shape
carat
color
clarity

should I reset my 4cts into halo? advice please.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be honest with yourself as best you can. I agree with others that if you want to do a halo, Victor Canera won’t disappoint. But do you maybe want a bigger stone? Just throwing it out there. It’s ok if you do. Wouldn’t want you to spend the money on a halo and have the itch not scratched.
If you do a halo, I would hands down go with Victor. You should look up @m-2-b ’s halo which victor also did. She has a large stone and it looks amazing on her.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Be honest with yourself as best you can. I agree with others that if you want to do a halo, Victor Canera won’t disappoint. But do you maybe want a bigger stone? Just throwing it out there. It’s ok if you do. Wouldn’t want you to spend the money on a halo and have the itch not scratched.
If you do a halo, I would hands down go with Victor. You should look up @m-2-b ’s halo which victor also did. She has a large stone and it looks amazing on her.

That's a great point @LLJsmom !!! Perhaps a larger stone or possibly a less tinted stone thats higher in a color and going to be brighter...

If @Himalayas wants to add more diamonds to increase bling factor then 2 side pears would be another option or even a pair of graduated baguettes....

seems like OP really wants that halo, micro halo .....Heck, why stop there?! could opt for a double row or even triple row of halos.

no matter what is chosen, im sure it will be really blingy

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a triple halo. Does anyone here have one? What’s the max number of halos anyone has seen?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was watching TV last night when this thread popped into my head. I’m changing my mind - I now think a thin halo (VC) might be just what you’re looking for. Pls keep us posted!!

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
I am happy with the size of the 4cts. As I have mentioned I always like the look of the halo. But didn’t want to do it because I want the stone to be the center of attention, even with the 2cts I used to wear. Now with the 4cts I feel more guilty. That’s why I mentioned it doesn’t look that big on my chubby finger. I saw pictures of large stones in halo and I love them, more than the smaller ones in halo. Thank you for your suggestion.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve also got a ‘stubby’ 6.75 size finger, and I think your stone looks plenty big enough without a halo.

I’m not opposed to a halo, (I wear one on my r/h) but your ring is classic and timeless as it is.

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
That's a great point @LLJsmom !!! Perhaps a larger stone or possibly a less tinted stone thats higher in a color and going to be brighter...

If @Himalayas wants to add more diamonds to increase bling factor then 2 side pears would be another option or even a pair of graduated baguettes....

seems like OP really wants that halo, micro halo .....Heck, why stop there?! could opt for a double row or even triple row of halos.

Thank you for your reply. I honestly don’t think that diamonds can get brighter then this one :) Also, I have worn/ looked at different colors, from F to K, over the years and came to the conclusion that, call me crazy, color is so overrated! As you can see in the pictures, my K looks whiter than the band of G-H diamonds. Once set, most people (probably all) can not tell if it’s a K or G, for example, face up. Moreover, Diamonds pick up color/tint from the environment all the time, and we don’t really see a true colorless brightness unless in a controlled environment. My 4Cs, in order are, Cut, Carat, Clarity, and Color. I will not pay for the difference that I cannot SEE.

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
I was watching TV last night when this thread popped into my head. I’m changing my mind - I now think a thin halo (VC) might be just what you’re looking for. Pls keep us posted!!

Thanks motownmama. With everything that is going on, I won’t rush to a decision. Also, I don’t want to ship my diamond out. (USPS lost my registered package (diamond pendant) in June. I am still waiting for my insurance claim to be paid) I have a jeweler I trust and have worked with, oversea :( I need to travel for this.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply.

***My pleasure, not only trying to support your thread but also to offer an opinion, one of many.

I honestly don’t think that diamonds can get brighter then this one :)

***yes, i hear you loud and clear. "You do not think diamonds can get brighter than the one that you have"

Also, I have worn/ looked at different colors, from F to K, over the years and came to the conclusion that, call me crazy, color is so overrated!

***yes, i hear you loud and clear. "diamond color is so overated!"

As you can see in the pictures, my K looks whiter than the band of G-H diamonds. Once set, most people (probably all) can not tell if it’s a K or G, for example, face up.

***yes, i hear you loud and clear. "Most people, if not all, cannot tell if a diamond is a k color or a g color, face up"

Moreover, Diamonds pick up color/tint from the environment all the time, and we don’t really see a true colorless brightness unless in a controlled environment.

***yes, i hear you. "people do not see true colorless brightness unless in a controlled environment."

My 4Cs, in order are, Cut, Carat, Clarity, and Color. I will not pay for the difference that I cannot SEE.

****yes, i understand. "your order of priority is cut, carat, clarity, color. You refuse to pay for a difference you cannot SEE."

First of all, thank you for sharing your theory of diamond color.

Secondly, I am just one of many taking the time and effort to support your thread by offering an opinion. A thread in which you started asking for advice regarding a halo reset for your 4 carat k color mrb diamond, a recent upgrade.

Thirdly, it would seem to me that you have not only taken a tone of offense but also taken it upon yourself to school us in your opinion of diamond color and people's inability to discern diamond color in a noncontrolled environment.

I must say, I couldn't be in more vehement disagreement to your concept and methods .

Last edited:

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
First of all, thank you for sharing your theory of diamond color.

Secondly, I am just one of many taking the time and effort to support your thread by offering an opinion. A thread in which you started asking for advice regarding a halo reset for your 4 carat k color mrb diamond, a recent upgrade.

Thirdly, it would seem to me that you have not only taken a tone of offense but also taken it upon yourself to school us in your opinion of diamond color and people's inability to discern diamond color in a noncontrolled environment.

I must say, I couldn't be in more vehement disagreement to your concept and methods .

WOW. I am really surprised by your reaction. I was sincere when I said thanks for your reply. The other things is I just wanted to share my opinion about color/tint and I am sorry my opinion about it offended you in some ways. That’s not my intention at all. I always try to read/research about what people think about things, especially in pricescope forum, and it has helped me. I decided to buy this faint brown diamond based on some of the opinions I read in one of the threads. I thought my opinion/experience could be helpful to any who might have come across this thread if they ever need opinions on color. I didn’t think you need to be educated or anything like that. Just sharing my thoughts. I know some will disagree. Some might find it useful. But didn’t think any would be offended. I am sorry for that.

Tennesseetexan

Rough_Rock
Firstly, your ring is STUNNING! I absolutely love your whole set! Like honestly, perfection. However if you’re bored and want to shake things up a bit, I would still recommend a thin shank because I think it creates great visual contrast with the head/stone and makes the latter look bigger. If you do go for a halo I’d recommend one with a slight airline (I think with bigger stones the airline looks nice - it gives more visual spread while still allowing the center to shine) and a delicate halo with very small stones. Keep this setting though! It’s a classic option and you might want the ability to switch back in the future!

I completely agree! This is gorgeous and so classic! It looks amazing on you and VERY impressive!

Tennesseetexan

Rough_Rock
It looks beautiful as a solitaire but if you want larger finger coverage, a halo is a great way to go about doing that. Halo’s, in my opinion, have been around for decades & I don’t see them going anywhere. You can have as bold or as delicate as you desire, change the shape of the halo, combine different size / shapes of melee or add a vintage flair to a modern cut. It’s boils down to your personal aesthetic & what suits your look best. My opinion, halo it but ensure the vendor making your ring can knock out a well done halo with minimal metal. My finger size is a 6, & the stone is 9.28-9.30mm & the halo from side to side, I think is 13.5? & from tip to tip, 14.35? I have to look up the cad to be sure. Let’s say, for example, you add 4mm to your stone, the ring would roughly be 14.2mm. That’s not that big if you have the finger size to accommodate it. A7BBA430-E9BC-4158-9D4B-6F2DF8B57F7F.png

Your ring is amazing! That setting is perfection!

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for kind words and encouragement. I am very close to a decision. And I will post pictures if I went with the halo. But I am afraid it won’t be before the next year when I might be able to travel.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have a look at Victor Canera’s Emilya if you’d like the perfect halo to accentuate, not overwhelm your centre stone. I think a faint brown would look stunning with a frame of icy white melee.

Sorry, I didn't notice the message. The compass points are larger, the stones on either side are graduated & the 3 in the middle are the same size. I wanted a soft look & had the halo angled 20% down.

Himalyas, angling the halo down 15-20% also softens the look which is another option if you decide to halo.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I think the problem isn't the diamond if someone thinks a 4+ carat mrb is not the center of attention.

I went and looked at some pictures of larger stones in halos and I’ve changed my mind - I think a halo would look gorgeous on your stone!

Honestly at the end of the day, you like what you like. If you like halos and you want a halo, you absolutely should get one. It really doesn’t matter what the rest of us think about how classic and timeless your set is if a halo is what you want and love. And, if you keep your old setting, you can switch back after some time if you’re not loving it. You’re married to your SO, not a setting :P2 They’re prong settings, they can be switched around without ruining the settings. If someone wants to halo a 30ct stone they can totally do so, haha.

I do love your stone, it looks gorgeous and very white and sparkly! I think I remember you posting about when you bought it as well. It might just be the picture or my non colour sensitive eyes, but I don’t think you need to go higher in colour especially if you love it! Going up to a D won’t help you if you want a halo. Making it a 3 stone won’t help you if you want a halo. Honestly, neither would going bigger IF what you want is a halo. So if you’ve established that you want a halo, I think the whole “delicate halo, slight airline, reasonably thin shank” look would look the best in my opinion to highlight your stone. I would make it so your band can sit flush against your ring because it just occurred to me that a possible reason you might find your stone not “big enough” is that your wedding ring is quite substantial as well. In my opinion, if the edge of the centre stone does not cover the wedding ring at the edge it can make the centre stone look visually smaller than it is a lot of the time. Try wearing your ring without a ring or a slimmer band to see if you have the same hang up I do. I do think a halo can get you that last little bit of edge coverage if you still decide to go halo.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like the idea of side stones over a halo

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
I went and looked at some pictures of larger stones in halos and I’ve changed my mind - I think a halo would look gorgeous on your stone!

Honestly at the end of the day, you like what you like. If you like halos and you want a halo, you absolutely should get one. It really doesn’t matter what the rest of us think about how classic and timeless your set is if a halo is what you want and love. And, if you keep your old setting, you can switch back after some time if you’re not loving it. You’re married to your SO, not a setting :P2 They’re prong settings, they can be switched around without ruining the settings. If someone wants to halo a 30ct stone they can totally do so, haha.

I do love your stone, it looks gorgeous and very white and sparkly! I think I remember you posting about when you bought it as well. It might just be the picture or my non colour sensitive eyes, but I don’t think you need to go higher in colour especially if you love it! Going up to a D won’t help you if you want a halo. Making it a 3 stone won’t help you if you want a halo. Honestly, neither would going bigger IF what you want is a halo. So if you’ve established that you want a halo, I think the whole “delicate halo, slight airline, reasonably thin shank” look would look the best in my opinion to highlight your stone. I would make it so your band can sit flush against your ring because it just occurred to me that a possible reason you might find your stone not “big enough” is that your wedding ring is quite substantial as well. In my opinion, if the edge of the centre stone does not cover the wedding ring at the edge it can make the centre stone look visually smaller than it is a lot of the time. Try wearing your ring without a ring or a slimmer band to see if you have the same hang up I do. I do think a halo can get you that last little bit of edge coverage if you still decide to go halo.

Hello, yes, I have a thread about my purchase of a K faint brown, which is 3.4 cts. Long story short, USPS lost my I Color pendant and I specifically searched for another K faint brown and bought this 4.02. And I set that 3.4 in a pendant and this 4.02 in the ring. (I am still waiting to be paid by USPS for the loss by the way ) thank you so much for your thoughts and suggestions. Definitely keeping this setting so that I have an option. Being able to switch back makes it a lot easier to decide. If I do a halo, it will be as you and others suggested, delicate halo, thin shank and probably an airline. Thanks again!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
to make your 4ct pop in a halo, i think the key is to have a very thin halo and have it angled down. tyty333 shared the thread of my ring and i love my ring! (apparently im biased) hope it's helpful! good luck!

but, btw, you ring is so beautiful as is already! i trust a thin halo will make it POP!

ruffrock

Rough_Rock
It looks beautiful as a solitaire but if you want larger finger coverage, a halo is a great way to go about doing that. Halo’s, in my opinion, have been around for decades & I don’t see them going anywhere. You can have as bold or as delicate as you desire, change the shape of the halo, combine different size / shapes of melee or add a vintage flair to a modern cut. It’s boils down to your personal aesthetic & what suits your look best. My opinion, halo it but ensure the vendor making your ring can knock out a well done halo with minimal metal. My finger size is a 6, & the stone is 9.28-9.30mm & the halo from side to side, I think is 13.5? & from tip to tip, 14.35? I have to look up the cad to be sure. Let’s say, for example, you add 4mm to your stone, the ring would roughly be 14.2mm. That’s not that big if you have the finger size to accommodate it. A7BBA430-E9BC-4158-9D4B-6F2DF8B57F7F.png

Popping in to say this halo along with CVB (forgot whose it belongs to), 5 stone are my all-time favourite settings for rounds.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Halo it. I think if you do something else you'll feel like you're settling. I like the thin halo idea. You could even do a slight split shank like the Anne-Marie Split Band on the VC website. It would stand out on its own and wouldn't necessarily need a wedding band, unless you prefer to wear both. Just my 2 cents and my split shank bias, lol.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I have looked at your picture a long time and I think I know what you mean now. I think, neither your finger size (which is rather normal) nor the size of your diamond is the problem.The only thing I would change: the setting cuts into your finger. Have it half size bigger and you will get a totally different look and your ring will appear - somewhat magically - bigger.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
oh my goodness, your diamond is spectacular! I saw leave it as is, it's a fireball and it really makes a statement on it's own. Congrats! Can you give us the specs on your diamond?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Himalayas -

Gorgeous diamond! And gorgeous band! Can you tell us some details about the band, including who made it?

I'm not a halo fan (I had a halo'd 4.02ct diamond - hated it - changed it back). If you *really* want 'looks that kill', I vote - 3 stone!

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
oh my goodness, your diamond is spectacular! I saw leave it as is, it's a fireball and it really makes a statement on it's own. Congrats! Can you give us the specs on your diamond?
Hi Johanna (and @mrs-b),
The 4.02cts one is with crown angle: 33.5, pav ang: 41, depth: 61.9% and table : 58%. HCA is 1.2 and TIC. GIA 3X. I checked and it looks like it is AGS0 if AGS certified it. hope it helps.
@mrs-b,
My band is made of g-h, 13 pointers. I have it custom made in southeast asia with the jeweler I trust. They band is substantial and very comfortable to wear. They don’t skimp on gold there :)
Thanks and please let me know if you guys need any other info.

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
I have looked at your picture a long time and I think I know what you mean now. I think, neither your finger size (which is rather normal) nor the size of your diamond is the problem.The only thing I would change: the setting cuts into your finger. Have it half size bigger and you will get a totally different look and your ring will appear - somewhat magically - bigger.
Good point Roselina. I thought about what you said and I think the knife edge shank might be a problem. Because the ring is not tight on my finger but it does look like it cuts into my finger, now that you mentioned it. I think the design combined with my fleshy finger gives off that look :( Thank you for your time and input.

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
to make your 4ct pop in a halo, i think the key is to have a very thin halo and have it angled down. tyty333 shared the thread of my ring and i love my ring! (apparently im biased) hope it's helpful! good luck!

but, btw, you ring is so beautiful as is already! i trust a thin halo will make it POP!

Thanks Stonehunter20, I made a note about angling it down. ccuheartnurse also mentioned it: angle down 15 to 20 degree.

Lara khzam

Rough_Rock
I recently upgraded or bought another diamond, 4.02cts and set it into my old tiffany edge style ring. I have stubby, size 6.75 finger :( And even this 10.2mm size diamond doesn't look that impressive. I always like the look of the halo but many people say the halo will distract from the center stone. So, I decided against it. My new diamond is a TIC, with HCA 1.2. I am so happy with how it sparkles and don't want to diminish it's beauty in anyway. But I am also bored with the look of my old Tiffany edge setting. Should I reset it in a halo (it will be a round halo)? what should be the size of the halo in mm if I want the halo to showcase the center diamond and not distract from it (or is it even possible)? I attached a few pictures of when it was loose and how I wear it now. The loose diamond pictures are taken with an iphone with a flash. Finger shots are taken with an iphone in a car, during a sunny day( when I was bored :) ) Please help me decide. thank you all in advance. (By the way, this is a K faint brown diamond. The band is made up of G-H diamonds.) IMG_E5341.JPG IMG_E5343.JPG IMG_E5378.JPG IMG_E5471.JPG

Oh I love ur diamond!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
It's a beautiful beautiful stone but clearly something is bugging you. I agree with Rosalina looks like the knife edge is cutting into your finger.
Can you either try on a halod stone of similar size to see if you will really like it?
Or buy a ring jacket & wear it for a while to see if it helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results