shape
carat
color
clarity

should I reset my 4cts into halo? advice please.

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
I recently upgraded or bought another diamond, 4.02cts and set it into my old tiffany edge style ring. I have stubby, size 6.75 finger :( And even this 10.2mm size diamond doesn't look that impressive. I always like the look of the halo but many people say the halo will distract from the center stone. So, I decided against it. My new diamond is a TIC, with HCA 1.2. I am so happy with how it sparkles and don't want to diminish it's beauty in anyway. But I am also bored with the look of my old Tiffany edge setting. Should I reset it in a halo (it will be a round halo)? what should be the size of the halo in mm if I want the halo to showcase the center diamond and not distract from it (or is it even possible)? I attached a few pictures of when it was loose and how I wear it now. The loose diamond pictures are taken with an iphone with a flash. Finger shots are taken with an iphone in a car, during a sunny day( when I was bored :) ) Please help me decide. thank you all in advance. (By the way, this is a K faint brown diamond. The band is made up of G-H diamonds.) IMG_E5341.JPG IMG_E5343.JPG IMG_E5378.JPG IMG_E5471.JPG

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Is this a prank post...??? Doesn’t look impressive...??? By what standards...Elizabeth Taylor? Sorry if you are younger you might not get that.

I think it gives you plenty of pop on your hand. Like my eyes almost pop out!!! It’s gorgeous!!
I do think it could have a wider band or maybe a different style setting so you feel like it is different than the Tiffany setting.

Firstly, your ring is STUNNING! I absolutely love your whole set! Like honestly, perfection. However if you’re bored and want to shake things up a bit, I would still recommend a thin shank because I think it creates great visual contrast with the head/stone and makes the latter look bigger. If you do go for a halo I’d recommend one with a slight airline (I think with bigger stones the airline looks nice - it gives more visual spread while still allowing the center to shine) and a delicate halo with very small stones. Keep this setting though! It’s a classic option and you might want the ability to switch back in the future!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
4 carats is considered a very healthy sized diamond by most as in 99% of people. Your set, on your hand looks like a classic tiffany. Quintessentially, all american classic 20th century look. A look coveted by many.

Personally, I am not into the modern, contemporary halo, micro halo aesthetic. Although, I do love an antique cluster ring. Which i understand is considered a halo of that era.

Im of the opinion that you might consider leaving your perfection, as it is. Your set, to my eyes is perfect, all american, classic tiffany. If you are not into that aesthetic then by all means select something else for yourself. BUT at this time you have achieved something truly truly beautiful. (and this is coming from someone that does not favor modern round brilliants)

I do understand getting "tired or bored" of something, even something fabulous and wonderful. Perhaps try removing your set and put it away for a day or two. Thereafter, revisit it and see how you feel then...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of MRBs, and if I were to reset the stone, I would change it to a wider comfort band to increase finger coverage on my chubby 8.25 US finger, and keep the setting simple like bezel-setting the stone, as it is big and blingy enough on its own.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful as is. If you're unhappy with the look why not experiment with stacking and throwing in a few bands with coloured stones?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
That is so timeless, I wouldn't touch it, personally.
Honestly, I would want to see what a 4 carat diamond in a halo would look like for curiosity sake but my gut opinion is it would be too much. But that is just me and you have to do you.
I would offer that with 4 carats, less is more. The diamond you have is a star.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I beg your pardon, it does look impressive! It is impressive!

However, if you want to consider a halo setting I love this one...its a smaller halo that just accentuates the center stone.

Edit btw, I love it as a solitaire and would do some fun stacking with it but its not about me!

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful as is. If you are not wowed by a four carat diamond I am not sure you would be wowed by one in a halo either - not for the long run. Our eyes become accustomed to what we see hence the dilamond shrinkage syndrome. The diamond doesn’t shrink of course - only our eyes interpretation of what we see.
However, if you are determined to get a halo, I definitely recommend Victor’s Emilya. Do it right because he will gauge the proper proportions and tilt to showcase the diamond in its best light.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of ring guards for a dress-up/dress-down option. I wonder if it would be possible to have ring guards custom made where the diamonds extend enough to meet on the sides, so they'd form a full halo when worn.

Also, to me anyway, my diamond solitaires ARE small compared to any other stone I'd probably want to wear alone, because of what I can reasonably afford.

Even a four carat solitaire, while huge for a diamond, I would consider too small to have much presence on my hand, in any other type of stone. Eight carats would be more like it. :)

Last edited:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful as a solitaire but if you want larger finger coverage, a halo is a great way to go about doing that. Halo’s, in my opinion, have been around for decades & I don’t see them going anywhere. You can have as bold or as delicate as you desire, change the shape of the halo, combine different size / shapes of melee or add a vintage flair to a modern cut. It’s boils down to your personal aesthetic & what suits your look best. My opinion, halo it but ensure the vendor making your ring can knock out a well done halo with minimal metal. My finger size is a 6, & the stone is 9.28-9.30mm & the halo from side to side, I think is 13.5? & from tip to tip, 14.35? I have to look up the cad to be sure. Let’s say, for example, you add 4mm to your stone, the ring would roughly be 14.2mm. That’s not that big if you have the finger size to accommodate it. A7BBA430-E9BC-4158-9D4B-6F2DF8B57F7F.png

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do it! I jus realized that the reason I don’t like solitaires on me is that I think They do a great job of showcasing the stone, but for me, I want my ring to make an overall statement—a statement piece as @Matthews1127 put it. Maybe we all have a different definition of what a statement piece looks like? Anyhow. I love me a good halo and I echo others in suggesting a very dainty one or one with an airline or bezel so that it differentiates the stone. You should enjoy your stone the way you see fit!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!! I wouldn’t halo but that’s my my opinion. I love the idea of some color stone bands - not sure that will achieve what you’re seeking. Maybe very thin bc you say your fingers are short? I’d try lots of bands on to see.

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
I recently upgraded or bought another diamond, 4.02cts and set it into my old tiffany edge style ring. I have stubby, size 6.75 finger :( And even this 10.2mm size diamond doesn't look that impressive. I always like the look of the halo but many people say the halo will distract from the center stone. So, I decided against it. My new diamond is a TIC, with HCA 1.2. I am so happy with how it sparkles and don't want to diminish it's beauty in anyway. But I am also bored with the look of my old Tiffany edge setting. Should I reset it in a halo (it will be a round halo)? what should be the size of the halo in mm if I want the halo to showcase the center diamond and not distract from it (or is it even possible)? I attached a few pictures of when it was loose and how I wear it now. The loose diamond pictures are taken with an iphone with a flash. Finger shots are taken with an iphone in a car, during a sunny day( when I was bored :) ) Please help me decide. thank you all in advance. (By the way, this is a K faint brown diamond. The band is made up of G-H diamonds.) IMG_E5341.JPG IMG_E5343.JPG IMG_E5378.JPG IMG_E5471.JPG

IMHO, I think a halo would be gorgeous! Not too big diamonds but just big enough to accent the center stone.

It sparkles so beautifully!! Would you be able to share the angles, etc.?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I’d do a halo if I were you! It’s a gorgeous diamond but I just love the bling of a halo! If you find a solitaire boring then halo it. You can always go back in a few years or switch it up when you get bored again! Look at M2B’s (I think that’s her name) halo. She has a really large stone in a halo and it’s amazing!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’ve always liked the look of a halo then by all means get a halo! Lol! Do what makes your heart sing.
I agree with those that recommend Victor Canera’s Emilya.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful as a solitaire but if you want larger finger coverage, a halo is a great way to go about doing that. Halo’s, in my opinion, have been around for decades & I don’t see them going anywhere. You can have as bold or as delicate as you desire, change the shape of the halo, combine different size / shapes of melee or add a vintage flair to a modern cut. It’s boils down to your personal aesthetic & what suits your look best. My opinion, halo it but ensure the vendor making your ring can knock out a well done halo with minimal metal. My finger size is a 6, & the stone is 9.28-9.30mm & the halo from side to side, I think is 13.5? & from tip to tip, 14.35? I have to look up the cad to be sure. Let’s say, for example, you add 4mm to your stone, the ring would roughly be 14.2mm. That’s not that big if you have the finger size to accommodate it. A7BBA430-E9BC-4158-9D4B-6F2DF8B57F7F.png
@ccuheartnurse is it just me or are the compass point stones slightly bigger and the halo stones graduate in size between them? It looks beautiful!

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
It looks beautiful as a solitaire but if you want larger finger coverage, a halo is a great way to go about doing that. Halo’s, in my opinion, have been around for decades & I don’t see them going anywhere. You can have as bold or as delicate as you desire, change the shape of the halo, combine different size / shapes of melee or add a vintage flair to a modern cut. It’s boils down to your personal aesthetic & what suits your look best. My opinion, halo it but ensure the vendor making your ring can knock out a well done halo with minimal metal. My finger size is a 6, & the stone is 9.28-9.30mm & the halo from side to side, I think is 13.5? & from tip to tip, 14.35? I have to look up the cad to be sure. Let’s say, for example, you add 4mm to your stone, the ring would roughly be 14.2mm. That’s not that big if you have the finger size to accommodate it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me the measurements. It's very helpful and your ring looks fantastic! Your post makes me lean more towards the halo.

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
Everyone who recommended the VC Emilya,
I looked into it and love it! I really love the Emilya with lotus or petal set. I also found a video of the style with 4.02cts center diamond (exact weight as my stone), so may be it's meant to be :)

Himalayas

Rough_Rock
IMHO, I think a halo would be gorgeous! Not too big diamonds but just big enough to accent the center stone.

It sparkles so beautifully!! Would you be able to share the angles, etc.?

Hello,
The angles are, crown: 33.5, and pav:41, depth: 61.9%, table: 58%. SI 1 clarity. It has strong blue fluo and maybe that's why it looks very white even though it's a K ( that and the faint brown body color, not yellow).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of MRBs, and if I were to reset the stone, I would change it to a wider comfort band to increase finger coverage on my chubby 8.25 US finger, and keep the setting simple like bezel-setting the stone, as it is big and blingy enough on its own.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

If i ever am fortunate enough to have a beautiful diamond even half this big this is what i would do

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
Hello,
The angles are, crown: 33.5, and pav:41, depth: 61.9%, table: 58%. SI 1 clarity. It has strong blue fluo and maybe that's why it looks very white even though it's a K ( that and the faint brown body color, not yellow).

So interesting re Fluorescence! It definitely makes your beautiful diamond appear whiter!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results