shape
carat
color
clarity

should i remove GIA inscription? plz give me advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I don''t see what the ''appraiser'' saw under x30 magnification is even relevant.

An IF stone may well show inclusions under x30.

Only what is visible face-up under x10 counts - or at least that was my understanding...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2009 8:29:05 PM
Author: ddcha

I'm having buyer send me an actual copy of the GIA report and I'm gonna ask Mark T to give me a sense of what fair market value would be if I tried to sell it.
Mark should be able to assist you in finding someone to remove the inscription if you would like. It’s not difficult and usually not expensive although it does require some specialized tools. It's not something I would recommend trying to do yourself.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 7:36:40 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
It is normal practice for GIA trained people to use a microscope to find inclusions and then use a loupe too set the grade.
Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks Garry!

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
I still don''t have a clear answer on the inscription removal. Is it safe for the stone? How much would it cost? I appreciate everyone''s input!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could try to call them to find out: 800-421-7250. Since no one has spoken up we might not have the answers that you''re looking for.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/20/2009 2:24:22 PM
I still don''t have a clear answer on the inscription removal. Is it safe for the stone? How much would it cost? I appreciate everyone''s input!

Yes, it''s safe for the stone.

Have it done by a pro and get an estimate before they do it. Mark T would be a good place to start since you''ve already got a relationship with him. I would expect it to be under $100. Any experienced diamond pro should be able to do this for you but some may not want to be in that part of the business. Ask them.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Just my thoughts:
1. Never do business with a friend or relative.
2. Grading standards should be just that ... standardized. (Imagine the outrage if each lab had different "weight standards"!!!)
7.gif

Non- standardized grading is not your fault.
You did not deceive the buyer.
The buyer did not do his home work.
That's not your fault.

Sorry, but I'd explain all this to the buyer and call it a day.
If you take a loss here you may feel good at first but eventually it will bother you; if not, it should.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate all your thoughts. Mark T did not advise removing the inscription. He gave me what he thought the fair market value of the GIA certed stone was worth. And I went back to the buyer and asked if he''d accept me refunding him the difference. Either that or I offered to buy it back for Mark T''s estimated value. He agreed to keep it with the refund for the valuation gap. Not a perfect solution, but I''ll sleep well at night. Thank you everyone!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/20/2009 6:24:49 PM
I appreciate all your thoughts. Mark T did not advise removing the inscription. He gave me what he thought the fair market value of the GIA certed stone was worth. And I went back to the buyer and asked if he''d accept me refunding him the difference. Either that or I offered to buy it back for Mark T''s estimated value. He agreed to keep it with the refund for the valuation gap. Not a perfect solution, but I''ll sleep well at night. Thank you everyone!
What an elegant solution.
And great Solomon like wisdom from Mark.
35.gif
36.gif

And you have resolved what could have been an ethical dilema
36.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Good that it got solved.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 9:23:38 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 4/20/2009 6:24:49 PM
What an elegant solution.
And great Solomon like wisdom from Mark.
35.gif
36.gif

And you have resolved what could have been an ethical dilema
36.gif
indeed. I''m just glad it all worked out. And I find it cool that the guy that developed the HCA score is commenting on my thread... haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results