shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I keep this light pink pear? Undecided...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I received my pink pear this weekend and I am trying to decide if I want to keep it so of course I need the help of my fellow PSers :wink2: This pear is a 3.24 ct Nigerian Pink Tourmaline and it measures 12.4 x 8.5mm. I am a little concerned about the size of it, being that I want to put it in a ring setting and my finger size is 4.25. I'm wondering if I should hold out for something a tad smaller...

I wasn't looking for anything in particular in this stone, I just really want a nice pear-shaped stone in a halo setting with a split-shank. I like bigger stones but I'm wondering if this is just a tad TOO big.

I like the peachiness of the stone in the vendor pic, but its more of a straight pink IRL. This stone is nearly impossible to photograph accurately, I don't know why I can't get it right.

So let me know what you think? Is it a keeper? Or is there anything about the color/cut that isn't doing it for ya?

First are the vendor pics:

vendor pink tourm.gif

vendor pink tourm 2.gif

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
IRL pics... ETA: the color is probably closest to the first 3 photos below...

pink stones 012.JPG

pink stones 013.JPG

pink stones 014.JPG

pink stones 019.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
And 4 more... if you see any yellow in the stone, its a reflection off of my sweater.

pink stones 027.JPG

pink stones 030.JPG

pink stones 008.JPG

pink stones 009.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1310520460|2967680 said:
I received my pink pear this weekend and I am trying to decide if I want to keep it so of course I need the help of my fellow PSers :wink2: This pear is a 3.24 ct Nigerian Pink Tourmaline and it measures 12.4 x 8.5mm. I am a little concerned about the size of it, being that I want to put it in a ring setting and my finger size is 4.25. I'm wondering if I should hold out for something a tad smaller...

I wasn't looking for anything in particular in this stone, I just really want a nice pear-shaped stone in a halo setting with a split-shank. I like bigger stones but I'm wondering if this is just a tad TOO big.

I like the peachiness of the stone in the vendor pic, but its more of a straight pink IRL. This stone is nearly impossible to photograph accurately, I don't know why I can't get it right.

So let me know what you think? Is it a keeper? Or is there anything about the color/cut that isn't doing it for ya?

First are the vendor pics:

It's a deliate baby pink color, but I like the cutting, the shape, and the size. If you like more vivid color and/or a smaller stone, then return it. If it were a spinel, I would keep it in a heart beat. I can't get super excited anymore over tourmaline because the RI doesn't do it for me, but I think it's pretty. Maybe a pendant???

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
TL said:
It's a deliate baby pink color, but I like the cutting, the shape, and the size. If you like more vivid color and/or a smaller stone, then return it. If it were a spinel, I would keep it in a heart beat. I can't get super excited anymore over tourmaline because the RI doesn't do it for me, but I think it's pretty. Maybe a pendant???

I do like the delicate color of it, but I'm wondering if the lower RI is what is making me hesitant about keeping it. I'm thinking that a slightly smaller spinel might actually be perfect for what I am looking for even though this stone is very pretty.

It really would be great for a pendant, its a great size for it and I love pear-shaped stones in necklaces. Hmm...

Thanks TL!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's very pretty. It would certainly be quite bling-y on a 4.25 with a halo. My mom always said "if in doubt, don't". However, I agree it would also look nice in a pendant, sort of matching a pink pear spinel ring, if that's the route you go.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is something in it...perhaps, the cut? Do you enjoy looking at it in all lights? If so, I'd keep it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is good and you like the colour but something is holding you back. Maybe TL is on the money with the low RI of the tourmaline not being sparkly enough for you.

ETA
I also have a 12 x 8 mm pear that I've set into a ring that is halo-ed but single shank, worn on a size 4.5 finger. It's not uncomfortable to wear and not too big for me. :cheeky:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this pear - I've been visiting it on Brad's site for a while and am glad to see additional pics of it - it may just be my monitor or my eyes but if those 1st three photos are the most accurate I am seeing a bit of peach to the baby pink color, and the cut/shape is very well done. I also think the color looks quite nice against the skin of your hand - doesn't disappear or fade but holds its pinky pretty color beautifully. I can totally imagine this stone starring in a delicate halo ring.

Still, in terms of keeping / returning stones, my 1st and best rule is - if it isn't singing to you by now, it probably won't ever sing to you. But I do have a 2nd rule I put into play sometimes -- I imagine I've returned it and a couple months have passed, will this stone still be haunting my thoughts?

For me personally, I've found that a nice true baby pink Tourmaline that holds its color against my skin is not an easy find, and well-shaped, sizable pears are not easy to find -- but if you are looking for that pink in a pear shape but are open as to stone type, then for flash I would go with perhaps a Pink Spinel and finding a Pink Spinel pear with some peach shouldn't be too difficult a hunt. Good luck with your decision!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1310562834|2967959 said:
I really like this pear - I've been visiting it on Brad's site for a while and am glad to see additional pics of it - it may just be my monitor or my eyes but if those 1st three photos are the most accurate I am seeing a bit of peach to the baby pink color, and the cut/shape is very well done. I also think the color looks quite nice against the skin of your hand - doesn't disappear or fade but holds its pinky pretty color beautifully. I can totally imagine this stone starring in a delicate halo ring.

Still, in terms of keeping / returning stones, my 1st and best rule is - if it isn't singing to you by now, it probably won't ever sing to you. But I do have a 2nd rule I put into play sometimes -- I imagine I've returned it and a couple months have passed, will this stone still be haunting my thoughts?

For me personally, I've found that a nice true baby pink Tourmaline that holds its color against my skin is not an easy find, and well-shaped, sizable pears are not easy to find -- but if you are looking for that pink in a pear shape but are open as to stone type, then for flash I would go with perhaps a Pink Spinel and finding a Pink Spinel pear with some peach shouldn't be too difficult a hunt. Good luck with your decision!

What marymm said. In addition, imagine returning this stone, and then a month down the line, another CS'er posts here with photos of this stone set in a gorgeous halo or 3-stone ring. Would you feel regret, or just shrug and feel glad that someone liked the stone more than you?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
crasru - I'll check it out in different lighting when I get home tonight. I haven't had a chance to play with it very much yet...

Chrono - I'm also thinking that maybe its just not sparkly enough. The stone is a nice color but just seems sort of blah. Maybe I'll start looking for a pink spinel just to see what's out there. And BTW, your beautiful ring is what made me want a giant pear in a halo!! It's definitely one of my favorites on PS :bigsmile:

marymm, Aoife, and NKOTB - Thank you for suggestions! These are definitely things I need to consider.

Well, let me know if any of you come across any nice pink spinels or if you have any suggestions of who might have rough in this color. I just sent Jeff White an email but not sure who else to contact...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check with Gene, too.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that shade of pink is gorgeous :love: ! I love the shape and cut, as well. I wear a 4.25 and I would wear this in a ring but it definitely would not be an everyday ring and I would baby it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the overall cut and the size but the bowtie puts me off.

The pink at the ends is lovely but the more browny/peachy colour in the centre isn't as nice.

It does seem to perform like many pink tourmalines and that's to go more to brown in some lighting conditions. I suspect at night in incandescent lighting it will be much more peach/brown than pink.

If you like this, then keep it. Why not live with it for a few days and keep checking it out. I'm sure the decision will come to you if you do that.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I wear a 4.25 size ring, and I think the size of the pear would make it very appropriate for cocktail ring to wear on special occasions.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Pregcurious and Babynurse - I really do like the large size of this stone and its definitely growing on me more and more.

Thanks LD - The return policy is only 7 days but I am going to wait to decide until the 7th day. I'm not really noticing much brown IRL but I do see what you are referring to in the photos.

NKOTB - I did contact Gene and he said he has some rough available from Tajikistan that is similar in color to the ones listed from this origin on his website:
http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/spinel.html

This doesn't appear to be the same baby pink as the tourmaline but I do like it. Gene did say there are small inclusions, but the stones generally face up eyeclean IRL so I think I'd be ok with that.

So should I keep the tourmaline or have Gene cut a spinel for me? I'm obviously not good at making decisions :rolleyes: I'm still awaiting a reply from Jeff White as well...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have one of those pink puppies en route to me now from Gene, it's why I suggested it. :naughty: He likely just sent it on Monday, so I probably won't get it and have time to post pics in order to help you get a better sense of the colour. Also, not to confuse things, but did you see the other pink/peach pear on TGT's site? It's a little smaller, and has a "discernable peach modifier" (you said you liked the peachiness in the pics of the stone you have), but it's also lighter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's the indoor colour?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purchased a nearly 2 carat tourmaline pear almost identical in color to yours off ebay for very very very little (too embarassed to say how little). I will say that I don't think the color is nuked because it's very light, and they are usually treating pinks to hot pink (although it could be heated to a lighter color).

If this stone appeals to you, and you just want it in a smaller size, then search ebay if you can find some deals on this color, otherwise, you might save yourself some money by returning it. I'm not sure how much this stone cost you, but if it was pricey, I would probably return it and save the money for something else.

Here's mine.

TLpalepinktourmaline2.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB - Ooo I can't wait to see it! You'll have to post pics as soon as you get it :wink2: I did see the smaller pear on TGT's website but I think its too light. Maybe I'll shoot them an email to ask about the color on that one anyways...

Chrono - the color is very pretty indoors, a nice baby pink with a hint of peachiness. I just tried to take a pic on my phone in my office (yes I brought it with me to work so I could stare at it half the day) but I can not get an accurate photo for the life of me... Its actually quite pretty in most lighting though.

TL - What a nice find! I will say that I think yours is much lighter than this one, if your photo is accurate. This stone is actually starting to grow on me a lot more. I have searched all the gem sites I could think of and I just searched eBay for pink pear spinels (and other tourmalines) and didn't have much luck. My other option is to have Gene cut a spinel from his Tajikistan material if he can (his response was that he "may" be able to): http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/spinel.html I'm guessing that a spinel in a pear close to this size will cost quite a bit more than the tourmaline though, right? The tourmaline was $307. I've sent Gene another email to inquire on the possible cost of the spinel but my assumption is that it will be at least double...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1310667650|2968953 said:
NKOTB - Ooo I can't wait to see it! You'll have to post pics as soon as you get it :wink2: I did see the smaller pear on TGT's website but I think its too light. Maybe I'll shoot them an email to ask about the color on that one anyways...

Chrono - the color is very pretty indoors, a nice baby pink with a hint of peachiness. I just tried to take a pic on my phone in my office (yes I brought it with me to work so I could stare at it half the day) but I can not get an accurate photo for the life of me... Its actually quite pretty in most lighting though.

TL - What a nice find! I will say that I think yours is much lighter than this one, if your photo is accurate. This stone is actually starting to grow on me a lot more. I have searched all the gem sites I could think of and I just searched eBay for pink pear spinels (and other tourmalines) and didn't have much luck. My other option is to have Gene cut a spinel from his Tajikistan material if he can (his response was that he "may" be able to): http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/spinel.html I'm guessing that a spinel in a pear close to this size will cost quite a bit more than the tourmaline though, right? The tourmaline was $307. I've sent Gene another email to inquire on the possible cost of the spinel but my assumption is that it will be at least double...

The Tajikistan material has a bit of orange in it from what I've seen. It's pretty though if you're looking for a more delicate and less neon shade of pink or orangy pink.

So the tourmaline was $100/ct, which is a fair price. I've seen them for less, and I've seen them for more. Kunzite or morganite are other options, but they are low RI stones as well. They can also be nuked so you need to know your source.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
TL said:
The Tajikistan material has a bit of orange in it from what I've seen. It's pretty though if you're looking for a more delicate and less neon shade of pink or orangy pink.

So the tourmaline was $100/ct, which is a fair price. I've seen them for less, and I've seen them for more. Kunzite or morganite are other options, but they are low RI stones as well. They can also be nuked so you need to know your source.

Thanks again TL, you are always so helpful and its much appreciated! I'm starting to lean towards keeping it and its good to know that the price is fair. Its the perfect color and I think the size will be perfect. It did look a little blah previously but I think it was because it was because it was dirty from me handling it so much. I cleaned it today and it definitely made a difference. I'm gonna sleep on it and decide for sure by tomorrow...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know how you feel about it, but I think it would look amazing set in yellow gold, maybe a bezel.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth said:
I don't know how you feel about it, but I think it would look amazing set in yellow gold, maybe a bezel.

athenaworth - Its funny that you say that because when I saw your post about your drunken eBay purchase, I thought to myself, maybe my pear would look awesome in a split shank bezel rather than a split shank pave halo!! :wink2: I'm definitely considering it although I don't really wear yellow gold, so I'd probably go with white gold or silver... I definitely LOVE your new ring!

ETA: If I did decide to go that route, would you mind if I used your ring for inspiration?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
stargurl78|1310697886|2969360 said:
athenaworth said:

athenaworth - Its funny that you say that because when I saw your post about your drunken eBay purchase, I thought to myself, maybe my pear would look awesome in a split shank bezel rather than a split shank pave halo!! :wink2: I'm definitely considering it although I don't really wear yellow gold, so I'd probably go with white gold or silver... I definitely LOVE your new ring!

ETA: If I did decide to go that route, would you mind if I used your ring for inspiration?
Oh please do! I stole it from DM's site anyway.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful and delicate looking. I'd keep it!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to keep the tourmaline. Gene's spinel isn't quite the baby pink I am going for and it would be more than double the cost of this stone. Jeff White also responded and he has some light pink spinel like this one which I LOVE:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-soooooo-excited-my-jeff-white-spinel-is-being-shipped.159593/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-soooooo-excited-my-jeff-white-spinel-is-being-shipped.159593/[/URL]

However, he said it would cost $800-850 per carat for a stone around the size I am looking for. I just can't afford that, nor do I even want to spend that much.

So I'm going to keep the tourmaline and I'm thinking of putting it in this setting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250807101335&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm also considering something like Athenaworth's new ring if I decide to do something without diamonds:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-drunken-ebay-purchase-is-set.163039/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-drunken-ebay-purchase-is-set.163039/[/URL]

I'll post pics once its set! Thank you all again for your help! :appl:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
YES. It's a beautiful stone. I love the baby pink color, cut, shape and size. It also looks like it has a lot of luster.

Definitely halo it in 18K YG. :love:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and a great size. I think a halo would highlight the color.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
TL|1310524557|2967742 said:
I can't get super excited anymore over tourmaline because the RI doesn't do it for me, but I think it's pretty. Maybe a pendant???

Vaaat? Now we might have to call you SL instead of TL! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results