shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I get this monstrous 17.5mm SS pearl?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was looking at a 17.5m white SS pearl yesterday and the lustre, nacre, orient ...everything about it was just *perfect*!! It was also perfectly round. The lustre in particular was really really booooootiful....slightly silvery and just so mesmerising.

The only problem is the price. It''s quite expensive. It''s the only one available in the whole complex (I went to a pearl city where there are a dozen or so pearl shops) and they were asking about USD3,500 for it though with some haggling they may go down to USD3k.

There are some others there, slightly smaller (about 16mm) and their prices were *much much* cheaper, about USD1,000 but the lustre, though still quite lovely, were not a match for this other one. The colouring was more a creamy white than silvery and not as shiny or mesmerising.

Btw, I noted also that pearl prices here are soooo much cheaper compared to those in the US or even Singapore and the quality is just as good.

I am thinking I could ask hubby to buy me this instead of my watch (I was thinking of getting a new watch but I''ve had my Rolex serviced and am not in a hurry to get another one - am just not a watch person, really).

So what do you ladies think?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d say get the pearl instead of the watch, but can''t comment on the pearl of choice other than I bet its soooo beautiful! and rare?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 10:25:17 AM
Author:Phoenix

I was looking at a 17.5m white SS pearl yesterday and the lustre, nacre, orient ...everything about it was just *perfect*!! It was also perfectly round. The lustre in particular was really really booooootiful....slightly silvery and just so mesmerising.

The only problem is the price. It's quite expensive. It's the only one available in the whole complex (I went to a pearl city where there are a dozen or so pearl shops) and they were asking about USD3,500 for it though with some haggling they may go down to USD3k.

There are some others there, slightly smaller (about 16mm) and their prices were *much much* cheaper, about USD1,000 but the lustre, though still quite lovely, were not a match for this other one. The colouring was more a creamy white than silvery and not as shiny or mesmerising.

Btw, I noted also that pearl prices here are soooo much cheaper compared to those in the US or even Singapore and the quality is just as good.

I am thinking I could ask hubby to buy me this instead of my watch (I was thinking of getting a new watch but I've had my Rolex serviced and am not in a hurry to get another one - am just not a watch person, really).

Yah, I would say get it. Sizes of such pearl are hard to come by especially when lustre, orient are 'perfect'. But beautiful watches are also a lust!
3.gif
2.gif

You can say that again, the prices in Pearl City are fantastic! I was there 1 and a half year ago and picked up some freshwater pearls with beautiful nacre and lustre. Now, I could kick myself for not buying more.

ETA: Just read your post in my other thread, the size is written about halfway through the 1st page but I will answer it here. Its 22.30x19.70mm ca. 21 or 23ct (can't remember exactly now)

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Is it perfectly round? If so, it doesn''t sound too far off the mark. I think a top 15mm would be obtainable at USD2K so a top one in that size sounds reasonable to 3K.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 11:50:53 AM
Author: D&T
I''d say get the pearl instead of the watch, but can''t comment on the pearl of choice other than I bet its soooo beautiful! and rare?
He he, thank you, enabler!
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 12:23:58 PM
Author: megeve

Date: 9/9/2009 10:25:17 AM
Author:Phoenix

The only problem is the price. It''s quite expensive. It''s the only one available in the whole complex (I went to a pearl city where there are a dozen or so pearl shops) and they were asking about USD3,500 for it though with some haggling they may go down to USD3k.

I am thinking I could ask hubby to buy me this instead of my watch (I was thinking of getting a new watch but I''ve had my Rolex serviced and am not in a hurry to get another one - am just not a watch person, really).

Yah, I would say get it. Sizes of such pearl are hard to come by especially when lustre, orient are ''perfect''. But beautiful watches are also a lust!
3.gif
2.gif

You can say that again, the prices in Pearl City are fantastic! I was there 1 and a half year ago and picked up some freshwater pearls with beautiful nacre and lustre. Now, I could kick myself for not buying more.

ETA: Just read your post in my other thread, the size is written about halfway through the 1st page but I will answer it here. Its 22.30x19.70mm ca. 21 or 23ct (can''t remember exactly now)
Thank, another enabler!
1.gif

Yes, prices here are soooo much cheaper. It''s mind-boggling what the countries charge for pearls!
4.gif

Your pearl is so HUGE and beautiful. I don''t believe I''ve ever personally seen anything of that size IRL. Enjoy wearing that beauty.

Thanks for your reply re the size.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 3:42:49 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Is it perfectly round? If so, it doesn''t sound too far off the mark. I think a top 15mm would be obtainable at USD2K so a top one in that size sounds reasonable to 3K.
Yes, it is perfectly round, or at least it appeared so when I was last there. I''m going there again today to pick up a pair of Tahitian pearl earrings for my niece. I''ll ask them to measure this SS pearl again.

Thanks for your input.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I didn't get this SS pearl after all. I brought along my diamond loupe, LOL!! I think I'm the only one *ever* to look at pearls with a diamond loupe!!
19.gif
You should've seen the look on the faces of the people at the shop, LOL!

Anyway, there are some blemishes on the surface, not big, not terribly noticeable, but being of a Type A personality, I really want for it to be *perfect*! Heck, it should be at that price - just for one single pearl!
2.gif
But this SS pearl does have a really really beautiful silver and shiny surface. I brought along the pairs of SS pearl jackets (the ones that I wear with my fab BGD studs) and this monstrous SS pearl is of the same lustre and nacre, as well as orient and overtone as my SS jackets. So I asked them to look for another one for me, they say such a pearl is very rare and difficult to get. I told them I'd be in Shanghai for 5 yrs so they have plenty of time!
2.gif
1.gif

Anyway, I bought several other items - a very deep golden SS pearl pendant, about 14-15mm, a Tahitian pendant, about 15-16mm long (they're not perfectly round, more elongated), two pairs of Tahitian pearl earrings, two strands of freshwater necklaces and two pairs of freshwater pearl earrings! I've been naughty!
3.gif
1.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like a lot of fun! Would love to see them, pictures please?

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 12:09:45 PM
Author: Phoenix
So I didn''t get this SS pearl after all. I brought along my diamond loupe, LOL!! I think I''m the only one *ever* to look at pearls with a diamond loupe!!
19.gif
You should''ve seen the look on the faces of the people at the shop, LOL!

Anyway, there are some blemishes on the surface, not big, not terribly noticeable, but being of a Type A personality, I really want for it to be *perfect*! Heck, it should be at that price - just for one single pearl!
2.gif
But this SS pearl does have a really really beautiful silver and shiny surface. I brought along the pairs of SS pearl jackets (the ones that I wear with my fab BGD studs) and this monstrous SS pearl is of the same lustre and nacre, as well as orient and overtone as my SS jackets. So I asked them to look for another one for me, they say such a pearl is very rare and difficult to get. I told them I''d be in Shanghai for 5 yrs so they have plenty of time!
2.gif
1.gif

Anyway, I bought several other items - a very deep golden SS pearl pendant, about 14-15mm, a Tahitian pendant, about 15-16mm long (they''re not perfectly round, more elongated), two pairs of Tahitian pearl earrings, two strands of freshwater necklaces and two pairs of freshwater pearl earrings! I''ve been naughty!
3.gif
1.gif

Oooooooh.....Phoenix, you''ve been on a shopping pearl spree too! Can''t wait to see what you bought....we need photos....

I just received a mixed colour strand of tahitians from futurefashionista. Will try to take pictures tomorrow. The weather here has been dismal for the past few days. Well...better that than the heat....I didn''t swop Singapore for more heat here....haha....

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SimplySplendid and DiaDiva, yes, it was a lot of fun, probably the most fun I've had since coming to Shanghai!
1.gif

I actually went back and changed my silver Tahitians to peacock ones and also changed the golden SS pearl pendant to a white one. The reasons were because i) the deep golden SS colour and YG chain did not seem to suit my skin tone (even though I've already got a pair of golden SS pearls
4.gif
, albeit a little lighter); and ii) I read a thread on Pearl Oasis abt golden pearls being sprayed. The white SS is smaller but more round rather than oval/ tear-drop shaped so it's actually a better deal, IMO.

I will def take pics and post them, though as usual I'm having problems, now it's not just my PC but I seem to have also misplaced the charger for our camera battery. Anyway, it's about time we bought a new camera, our current one is c&^%! Is there any model that you'd recommend that would allow me to take the best pics of bling and bring out the truest colours of my pearls?

DiaDiva, that's no fun! Are you in for a respite soon?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I would get the pearl and wait alittle longer for the watch.
a pearl like that sounds like one in a million and watched tho beautiful you can get a watch anytime and it will be the same, not so much with a stunning pearl

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 11:16:47 AM
Author: ckrickett
a pearl like that sounds like one in a million and watched tho beautiful you can get a watch anytime and it will be the same, not so much with a stunning pearl
Ditto! Especially if you love pearls. ehehe
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaDiva,

Can't wait to see your new Tahitian multi-colour strand. Sounds yummo!!
30.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 11:16:47 AM
Author: ckrickett
ckrickett and Skippy, thank you for yr encouragement, you enablers!
1.gif

I agree!
2.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 11:24:31 AM
DiaDiva,

Can''t wait to see your new Tahitian multi-colour strand. Sounds yummo!!
30.gif

Yes, it arrived yesterday and looks yummy...will start a new thread once I''ve resized...which is a real PITA to do...

The weather is beautiful today after an entire day of gloom and rain yesterday. Sunny and cool at 20 degrees Celsius. Hope it''s gorgeous in Shanghai...

elle

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix - Is there a Fanghua store in the Pearl City?
That big pearl sounds lusciously decadent, even if there are small blemishes, those can be concealed in the setting too but that size is hard to come by. The peacock tahitans sounds very pretty too, are they with green or rose overtones?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 11:48:06 AM
Author: DiaDiva

DiaDiva,

30.gif

Yes, it arrived yesterday and looks yummy...will start a new thread once I''ve resized...which is a real PITA to do...

The weather is beautiful today after an entire day of gloom and rain yesterday. Sunny and cool at 20 degrees Celsius. Hope it''s gorgeous in Shanghai...
DiaDiva,

I still haven''t seen your new thread yet!
2.gif
1.gif

SH is getting cooler, quite nice actually, not too hot nor too cold. Makes a change!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2009 11:06:08 PM
Author: elle
Phoenix - Is there a Fanghua store in the Pearl City?
That big pearl sounds lusciously decadent, even if there are small blemishes, those can be concealed in the setting too but that size is hard to come by. The peacock tahitans sounds very pretty too, are they with green or rose overtones?
Sorry to be ignorant but what''s a Fanghua store?

Yes, the big pearl is seriously yummy but am currently going through a pearl education and spending my (oh ok, hubby''s
3.gif
) hard-earned money on smaller pearl items.

The peacock Tahitians I think have rose overtones but am not sure. I''m still such a novice. I''ll try and take pics and show you guys.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 7:21:00 AM
Date: 9/11/2009 11:48:06 AM

Author: DiaDiva

DiaDiva,

30.gif

DiaDiva,

I still haven''t seen your new thread yet!
2.gif
1.gif

SH is getting cooler, quite nice actually, not too hot nor too cold. Makes a change!

Sorry....I was too lazy to do any re-sizing last week but I''ve now created a thread for them.

Lucky me, it''s back to be 85 degrees F here again...
14.gif

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix,

did you get this pearl yet? I''ve got a teardrop shaped, circled, 20 x 22mm south sea. As soon as I get spare time, I''ll post some pics.

Got a couple suggestions for your pearl education. The Gemological Institute of America has a distance learning course on pearls, and so does the International School of Gemology.

I''ve taken both courses, they''re both very good, and have gone on to complete the RGA program with ISG. There are many positive things I could say about the ISG, their focus on ethics and consumer advocacy being primary. And once a student, you''ll have access to the student/graduate forums board where highly experienced and active members from around the world share information.

If you''d like more info, email me thru my website. Be glad to help.

julie.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 4:16:54 PM
Author: pearlie
Phoenix,

did you get this pearl yet? I''ve got a teardrop shaped, circled, 20 x 22mm south sea. As soon as I get spare time, I''ll post some pics.

Got a couple suggestions for your pearl education. The Gemological Institute of America has a distance learning course on pearls, and so does the International School of Gemology.

I''ve taken both courses, they''re both very good, and have gone on to complete the RGA program with ISG. There are many positive things I could say about the ISG, their focus on ethics and consumer advocacy being primary. And once a student, you''ll have access to the student/graduate forums board where highly experienced and active members from around the world share information.

julie.
Julie, it is interesting that you bring up the GIA course. I am planning on taking it but will wait until they update the course. I believe it is planned for the end of the year but who knows if it will happen on time... I may take the ISG course now rather than waiting which was my initial plan.

Although I am not Phoenix, thanks for the suggestion.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2009 4:16:54 PM
Author: pearlie
Phoenix,

julie.
Julie,

No, I haven''t bought this pearl yet, for 2 reasons: 1) I wanted something with fewer blemishes and 2) I wanted to educate myself a bit more before I buy the more expensive pearl(s).

Thanks sooooo much for your kind suggestions and thanks very very much also for all yr kind help thus far as well as the offer to let me contact you by emails for help. I may take you up on that.
1.gif

elle

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix - I''ve had good experiences buying from Fanghua in Beijing years ago. The owner started off peddling from a cart outside the Forbidden city in Beijing, now she has stores in the pearl market in Beijing and in the Grand Hyatt as well. They are priced at the high end but they have nicer settings and craftsmanship plus the diamonds they use in their settings are usually full cut melee instead of the cui4 zuan4 most setters in the market use. I know they have a branch in Shanghai. Ask to look at the best quality there is and then work your way to where you are comfortable price and quality wise. China''s markets are awesome - how lucky you are to be there!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2009 1:50:54 AM
Author: elle
Phoenix - I''ve had good experiences buying from Fanghua in Beijing years ago. The owner started off peddling from a cart outside the Forbidden city in Beijing, now she has stores in the pearl market in Beijing and in the Grand Hyatt as well. They are priced at the high end but they have nicer settings and craftsmanship plus the diamonds they use in their settings are usually full cut melee instead of the cui4 zuan4 most setters in the market use. I know they have a branch in Shanghai. Ask to look at the best quality there is and then work your way to where you are comfortable price and quality wise. China''s markets are awesome - how lucky you are to be there!
Thank you, Elle, for the infor. I''ll look out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results