shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I get my very expensive jewelry appraised asap?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh. You say that you haven’t experienced people reminding you about etiquette on other forums, but I really wonder what forums/communities you have ever been a member of. The right thing for a newbie is to observe and learn, especially from senior members who hold a treasure trove of knowledge, but you are so defensive whilst you are trying to learn valuable information from these same people about how to choose and buy gems and jewelry.

Pricescope is not harsher than other forums, on the contrary, they are helpful, even when the OP has not been courteous. @lovedogs is an incredibly kind person who I have seen helping out a total stranger on PS without any expectations. @icy_jade is not a newbie, she’s just being modest and has many fabulous pieces. @Arcadian, I need not say more, she’s a total expert. If you actually spent any time here reading the forum before making all your threads, you would see these are great people who can teach you a lot. Anyway, I will take your advice not to read your threads since you only want inputs from people who like the way you post. Peace out!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Sigh. You say that you haven’t experienced people reminding you about etiquette on other forums, but I really wonder what forums/communities you have ever been a member of. The right thing for a newbie is to observe and learn, especially from senior members who hold a treasure trove of knowledge, but you are so defensive whilst you are trying to learn valuable information from these same people about how to choose and buy gems and jewelry.

Pricescope is not harsher than other forums, on the contrary, they are helpful, even when the OP has not been courteous. @lovedogs is an incredibly kind person who I have seen helping out a total stranger on PS without any expectations. @icy_jade is not a newbie, she’s just being modest and has many fabulous pieces. @Arcadian, I need not say more, she’s a total expert. If you actually spent any time here reading the forum before making all your threads, you would see these are great people who can teach you a lot. Anyway, I will take your advice not to read your threads since you only want inputs from people who like the way you post. Peace out!

Peacechick, I don't know how you think this was addressed to you, or why you think I only want input from people who like the way I post. Or that I don't listen to advice. If I offended you in any way, I apologize. I appreciated all your replies, I even responded to them. Because of this thread, I will not be having the necklace appraised, but maybe looked at, and that I should not expect what I previously saw as expensive, to be good quality in the gem/jewelry world.

I don't doubt Arcadian is an expert, but she did come in sounding fairly aggressive (seriously, please reread it). If I don't like it, why did I buy it? Well I did like it, it just had some things I feel like could've been better. You can't always know if you're going to like something or not til you see it for yourself. Her advice is fairly common sense (if it's not in your budget don't buy it). Everyone else's reply was very helpful and answered my questions. Lovedogs also came in aggressively in two of my threads, claiming I won't listen to anyone's advice, while never even writing her own comments. Doesn't seem like she read my responses and just wanted me to shut up. If she doesn't think I took everyone's advice, she should point out whose so I can address it.

Anyway, sorry you feel that way and again you're welcome to say whatever you feel you need to say on my future posts. I didn't come here just to show off my shiny things, but to actually learn, and I have.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pricescopers have the patience of saints I tell you! I have been on various forums and trust me you can and will get crucified in other places by typing ONE sentence that doesn't sit will with other members (shipping is by far the most insane thing I have ever been involved in).

I am constantly in awe by how chilled Pricescopers are! Especially after I witness a big fight on Twitter or the shipping forum :lol:

To the OP:

Sorry I have not read all your threads only snippets but could you recap what your concern is?

Did you see a cheaper necklace years ago that you did not buy and are now lamenting about it? That's what I picked up but I am not sure.

Someone wise once told me: Buy what you like

Everyone else has given great advice and explanations but if you don't find it palatable just buy what you like and peace out.

Sometimes (often) I will get stuff checked by the experienced members first but I have on occasion just bought stuff because I know I love it no matter what.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Pricescopers have the patience of saints I tell you! I have been on various forums and trust me you can and will get crucified in other places by typing ONE sentence that doesn't sit will with other members (shipping is by far the most insane thing I have ever been involved in).

I am constantly in awe by how chilled Pricescopers are! Especially after I witness a big fight on Twitter or the shipping forum :lol:

To the OP:

Sorry I have not read all your threads only snippets but could you recap what your concern is?

Did you see a cheaper necklace years ago that you did not buy and are now lamenting about it? That's what I picked up but I am not sure.

Someone wise once told me: Buy what you like

Everyone else has given great advice and explanations but if you don't find it palatable just buy what you like and peace out.

Sometimes (often) I will get stuff checked by the experienced members first but I have on occasion just bought stuff because I know I love it no matter what.

I'm not disputing that they're chill. When I first came, I was impressed by how nice everyone was. But Arcadian and Lovedog came in with some not-so-nice sounding tone. Arcadian's first post was very helpful. I've tried to be nice- I don't know, maybe it's my writing style? I know I'm direct and don't sugar coat, but I don't say anything with force either.

Basically, I saw a necklace years ago that I loved, and now I found a copycat necklace that is the same price, but shoddy craftsmanship. I know copy-cats won't be exactly the same as the original, but even if the gemstone is smaller/lower quality, etc, the craftsmanship shouldn't be so noticeably bad. Especially when they're the same exact price (at the copy-cat's sale price!). The original is from Tiffany's. This is a big name with quality craftsmanship and gemstones. So if the copycat is more expensive or the same price, it should be just as good, imo. At its price point, I felt the make should be better, as even cheaper jewelry has better quality craftsmanship.

I like the necklace and I want to keep it. Just the bezeling detail bothers me though. So I wanted to know if the price I paid was fair for what I got. But as explained to me, this necklace is fairly cheap in the jewelry world. So yes, I like this necklace, but I can't ignore the low quality work. I don't know what's so wrong about that. Not everything will be 100% perfect or 100% like. So that's what I was asking about but it seems to bother everyone that I have questions about it.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One gets what one paid for, quality comes at a price and all that.

That is what the experts have repeatedly said/advised from what I can gather.

"Very expensive" to me personally is 5-figures or more.

If I were to have a similar necklace made on a budget, I would choose a faceted oval Tanzanite to cut down on cost with a budget of 2.5k+ USD for the size of the stone alone, plus another 1k for the necklace with 2 small 0.2ct diamond stations, more if the diamonds are larger.

I may be able to cut down on cost on the necklace by using good quality stimulants.

If money is no object, then I would choose a medium blue star Sapphire cab, now I am taking 'expensive'!

I would not buy the necklace as it is, as the Sapphire cab looks dead and lifeless to me.

A Lapis Lazuli cab, one in medium blue with gold speckles would look stunning in this necklace design IMHO, and would definitely cost a lot less. This is more likely to be the version I would opt for if I wanted the look on a beer money budget.

DK :))

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
One gets what one paid for, quality comes at a price and all that.

That is what the experts have repeatedly said/advised from what I can gather.

"Very expensive" to me personally is 5-figures or more.

If I were to have a similar necklace made on a budget, I would choose a faceted oval Tanzanite to cut down on cost with a budget of 2.5k+ USD for the size of the stone alone, plus another 1k for the necklace with 2 small 0.2ct diamond stations, more if the diamonds are larger.

I may be able to cut down on cost on the necklace by using good quality stimulants.

If money is no object, then I would choose a medium blue star Sapphire cab, now I am taking 'expensive'!

I would not buy the necklace as it is, as the Sapphire cab looks dead and lifeless to me.

A Lapis Lazuli cab, one in medium blue with gold speckles would look stunning in this necklace design IMHO, and would definitely cost a lot less. This is more likely to be the version I would opt for if I wanted the look on a beer money budget.

Thank you, that's helpful. Can you elaborate what you feel that the cab is dead and lifeless? Is it no sparkle, or extinction?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, that's helpful. Can you elaborate what you feel that the cab is dead and lifeless? Is it no sparkle, or extinction?

At a quick glance, from the pic it looks like onyx, can't really see much blue in the stone.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I decided to keep the necklace. I was really nitpicking about the bezel, but I really like this necklace. It'll be a stand in til I can make a better one. Once again, thanks for all the help, everyone :)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, don’t settle if you’re feeling that this will just be a stand in until you can afford better. You’re better off waiting and buying what you want once rather than buying something less expensive and throwing that money away when you upgrade to what you really wanted in the first place. It’s a lesson I learned once I added up all my small ‘for now’ purchases and realized I could have bought the big ones that I thought were out of reach many times over. (Edited to fix some weird autocorrect mistakes)

Last edited:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I'll keep that in mind. I'll do it for this one time. The original necklace is nowhere to be found and I won't be able to save the funds for my own copy for a while. My birthday's coming up. I can't wait to wear it :)

Also once I make my own, I'll sell this one or maybe I could pass it down.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results