shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I exchange? Or is this light return normal for a diamond?

Additionalmatter

Rough_Rock
Hi! I have a new cushion cut diamond. Specs: No flor. Very good cut, No clouds, VS2. Depth 68%% and table 59% and slightly thick girdle. but it seems to not really catch light and doesn't sparkle how I was hoping. Are all diamonds like this or is this normal.

Here are pics IMG_4138.jpg IMG_4758.jpg IMG_4761.jpg IMG_4774.jpg IMG_4770.jpg IMG_4699.jpg IMG_4776.jpg IMG_4777.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Would need a lot more info on a cushion. Do you have the video from when you bought the stone?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks somewhat like a compromise in cut quality which is not optimizing light return and sparkle. Maybe a part of this is just how clean the diamond is. Just a few finger prints or some soap on the back can change the appearance of a diamond quite a lot. Some diamonds have clouds inside which create less transparency and may contribute to UV fluorescence which also can alter the quality of light return. Photos such as you have taken with several different and unknown lighting characteristics have a major effect on how well we can judge this diamond from all others, too.

Did you get a GIA grading report with the purchase? That might be useful to getting some further opinions. Was there a thorough shopping process or was this just picked out from a retailer's inventory on more of an impulse basis? Did the budget and weight requirements work just fine or did the size dictate some compromise in cut quality? Did color and clarity minimums have any effect on the choice?

There are many factors leading to how this diamond was selected which we don't know about. You can't have a cotton budget when you want all the benefits of silk. However, smart compromises are what makes many diamonds not only affordable, but good choices. If it was easy, there'd be little need for Pricescope. Hopefully, you will get some advice and answers that give you better understanding of your diamond. The GIA report is a good place to start.

Additionalmatter

Rough_Rock
Did you get a GIA grading report with the purchase? That might be useful to getting some further opinions. Was there a thorough shopping process or was this just picked out from a retailer's inventory on more of an impulse basis? Did the budget and weight requirements work just fine or did the size dictate some compromise in cut quality? Did color and clarity minimums have any effect on the choice?

There are many factors leading to how this diamond was selected which we don't know about. You can't have a cotton budget when you want all the benefits of silk. However, smart compromises are what makes many diamonds not only affordable, but good choices. If it was easy, there'd be little need for Pricescope. Hopefully, you will get some advice and answers that give you better understanding of your diamond. The GIA report is a good place to start.

I only was able to look online because of the pandemic. And with our budget + size it kinda what was available. It's a lab diamond - From the certificate - it seemed like an amazing option since it had very little flaws. I just don't know what is or isnt normal sparkle. Here is the certificate: Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 3.31.13 PM.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thread needs to be moved to the Lab Created/MMD section, as this is for earth-mined stones only, and I have reported it.

DK :))

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't think a cushion is going to sparkle the same way as a round, if you are looking for max sparkle a round may be the way to go. or you'll need a cushion that is cut specifically to mimic a round, i believe it's called a square hearts & arrows.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds do not look their best in full sun. Try taking a picture of it with your back to a window. This will allow us to see inside of it more. Cut is king when it comes to bringing the beauty out of a diamond and most here would suggest to give up some color, clarity or size in order to get the best cut possible.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread should be getting moved to the lab forum here...

KB0708

Rough_Rock
I’m no cushion expert, but these wonderful people helped me feel comfortable after purchasing my cushion. I will say mine seems to glow like it’s lit from within, regardless of the lighting. It blinds you in direct sunlight and the fire off of it under a tree is Amazing. A cushion can be gorgeous and I don’t think you should settle if (after you have cleaned it) it doesn’t blow you away!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!!! :)

If your pictures are reflective of what you see in person I can see why you are concerned. The first thing to do is to give it a really good clean. Soak it in some hot water with some sort of liquid soap (Fairy liquid/dawn) and scrub it with a toothbrush. Plug the drain before you do that in case anything is loose that shouldn't be.

You can dry it with a lint-free cloth/terry cloth and try your pictures again. No matter how beautiful the diamond, if it's dirty it won't look great. However, a clean diamond looking beautiful is dependent on so many additional factors, the main one, if clarity is okay, is the cut.

However, if you're still not happy with it and you're still within your return period, you can do SO MUCH better to make it so that you feel delighted with it. Hopefully, this thread gets moved to the correct forum as already mentioned but if you do end up returning it you can ask for help in finding an exchange/alternative that works for your wishes and budget.

You don't have to settle if you're not happy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is the key to sparkle and light return, and unfortunately, many modern cushions are not well cut and will not have anywhere near the light return/performance of an ideal cut round. I would definitely return it if you can. Then get some help from people here finding a diamond with better cut. You'll need to be in the man made diamond sub-forum, though.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cut is the key to sparkle and light return, and unfortunately, many modern cushions are not well cut and will not have anywhere near the light return/performance of an ideal cut round. I would definitely return it if you can. Then get some help from people here finding a diamond with better cut. You'll need to be in the man made diamond sub-forum, though.

Hi DS, I don't think it is a cut issue.
Certainly looking in direct sunlight is bad - but the diamond goes dark in direct lighting and that is an indication the cut is good.
I think I need to put this into the Articles section so I don't have to keep copying and pasting it all

My diamond looks dark in sunlight

If you look at a diamond in direct sunlight then the better and brighter the cut - the darker the diamond will appear.

I took these photos on a hot 30°C cloudless day in front of my Canterbury store.

The first photo shows 5 different cut styles with direct sunlight coming over my right shoulder. You will note the ideal-cut round on the right appears darkest (with a blue hue from the blue sky).

20181224_105443.jpg

In the photo below I moved the stones into the shade of my body; note the round ideal-cut is now the brightest! The better the cut the darker a diamond will appear in sunlight.
20181224_105401.jpg
If you want to look at diamonds out-doors then shade direct sunlight.

20181224_105443.jpg
Many people think this blue colour in sunlight is caused by natural diamond fluorescence (1/3rd of diamonds fluorescence blue in UV light). WRONG! The strongest fluorescent diamonds here are the lower left side cushion and the central marquise (see the next photo). Fluorescence improves the colour appearance of diamonds in daylight but does not cause milky or haziness. That is caused by some types of inclusions when combined with fluorescence. I reject those.

20181224_105643.jpg

Why Is It So?

See the direct sunlight photo again below - the ideal-cut round diamond is showing blue from the sky and has only a few but very bright flashes. Even though the sun is big, it is a very small point light source. The other fancy shaped diamonds have more smaller less intense bright flashes. The flashes are different in real life; the round cut hurts your eyes.
20181224_105443.jpg
The proof of concept is the yellow diamond; it has a ‘crushed ice’ cut which appears to have many more smaller facets (even though it has 8 less) yet it is the brightest in direct light and the dullest in the shade. If this diamond had been cut into an ideal round cut it would be very pale and less attractive.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Garry H (Cut Nut) I know, but a several of her pictures above were taken indoors. The center looks a little mushy to me. But maybe it is dirty. Still, good cushions aren't plentiful!

Additionalmatter

Rough_Rock
Hi @Additionalmatter did cleaning make a difference for you? You’ve gotten some good info already, but you might also want to look at this thread about cushions:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ing-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/#post-3818428

Hi! It was dirty in many of the pics - I also think I may not have a rational/ sane way of thinking about diamonds. I thought they should always have rainbows or at least a lot. Mine only does in certain lighting. Additionally - it does go dark in direct sunlight which is a good sign I read

Additionalmatter

Rough_Rock
Here in sunlight it looks dark - a good sign
1597551364604.png

Here is looks cloudy or dirty:
1597551422877.png

you are correct! that is a dirty diamond - it even has my dog's hair on it. lol. And yes it does go dark in direct sunlight - It turns a dark grey/blue. I had no idea that was a positive sign!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are correct! that is a dirty diamond - it even has my dog's hair on it. lol. And yes it does go dark in direct sunlight - It turns a dark grey/blue. I had no idea that was a positive sign!

may we please see a picture after you have cleaned it ?
=)2

Additionalmatter

Rough_Rock
Last edited:

GCAL Steve

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry for the very late response, but I believe you answered the question yourself. My company is GCAL, a diamond and gem lab, and we actually measure and provide light performance analysis on our certificates. But that said, if the diamond "Doesn't sparkle how I was hoping" - then that diamond may not be for you. Our certs provide lots of information, but your eyes should make the final determination. Just saying..... Curious what you decided.

Additionalmatter

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the very late response, but I believe you answered the question yourself. My company is GCAL, a diamond and gem lab, and we actually measure and provide light performance analysis on our certificates. But that said, if the diamond "Doesn't sparkle how I was hoping" - then that diamond may not be for you. Our certs provide lots of information, but your eyes should make the final determination. Just saying..... Curious what you decided.

Oh wow, I read lots of GCAL reports when I was looking for a diamond. Here are the latest videos after I cleaned it. I do think it does get a lot of light but it's so confusing in terms of sparkle. It's so different under different lighting. What are your thoughts on performance?

GCAL Steve

Rough_Rock
Trade
Really can't tell the actual light performance of a diamond from this or most non professional videos. But again, what's most important is not what our Certificate (or other labs' Reports) say, it's what your eye sees. If the brilliance (light returning to your eye) makes you go "wow", that's the answer. Lots of good luck!

Additionalmatter

Rough_Rock
Really can't tell the actual light performance of a diamond from this or most non professional videos. But again, what's most important is not what our Certificate (or other labs' Reports) say, it's what your eye sees. If the brilliance (light returning to your eye) makes you go "wow", that's the answer. Lots of good luck!

Yeah, I mean I just dont know, it looks amazing in certain light. Like low light, artificial light and sunlight but dull other times. The certificate gives no indication on light performance. But thanks again for taking a look. I appreciate it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results