shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I even consider Tiffany with a budget?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nyclooking

Rough_Rock
I've been a lurker here for a while and I know it's not Friday, but the original post struck a chord with me so let me chime in with my own experience on whether Tiffany's had the "best quality" -- I spent about a month looking for that "perfect" ring -- I knew what I wanted -- RB, Tiffany setting, D, over 2 carats, super ideal cut, can compromise on the clarity down to VS2. I must have had the poor woman at Tiffany pull over 10 rings from their inventory over the months, and I paid close attention to the looks, the proportions and angles. And yes, they will show you the certificates if you ask. And I really wanted to buy something at Tiffany's (having decided I didn't like the settings available at Graff, HW, Cartier, etc.) In the meantime, I was also working with a guy in the diamond district who has great creditials, who I have dealt with in the past and who came highly recommended by people I trust. I asked him to find me the perfect stone and he showed me a total of one stone. In the end, by all the numerical measures (HCA score, angles, proportions, you name it) and visually, this one stone turned out to be better than any of the rings I was shown at Tiffany, so that was the one I went with. So I guess at the end of the day, I thought Tiffany's had very good quality, but to say they have the best I don't think I agree with. As for pricing, I was willing to pay twice as much as I ended up paying if Tiffany's had something comparable to the one I ended up with, but they didn't. Just food for thought for the original poster who was on a tight budget to begin with.

P.S. I thought customer service at Tiffany's was absolutely fabulous, so I do have to give them kudos for that.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
NYCLooking, suprised, did you go there during the daytime when they are open? There is always about 5 different people on a floor willing to help, while there are 50 or so people looking for it. I am not talking about the silver floor, I am talking about the engagement ring section in the back (2nd fl)...They are friendly, but the wait to find someone is tough. One poor lady and her BF wanted to see a pretty .5 carat and they practically shooed them away! The lady kept looking over her shoulder at a lady showing another couple a 3 ct....

I asked about a 2ct, and they seemed to think I was just bored and browsing. I told the man I was comissioned to find the ring, and he still looked bored and went to talk to a "guy". When I wasn't impressed, he said, "Well bring your fiance in and we can discuss all that." Excuse me? I can't discuss it?! At that point in time I knew A HECK OF A LOT more than him...(now he's a mini-pro), but I left there pretty POed.

The next time I went with my guy, they were as sweet as pie! And we only waited 5 minutes after first getting their attention.... Customer service is good for some and crappy for others...be a male looking for a BIG ring and you have NO prob! One guy even got served champagne while he ring shopped...HIGH clientelle...

Friday?
naughty.gif

Mara: Ack! They practically know me there, so I'll go in with a fake nose and glasses and do some real spywork! Hidden camera and wired for sound!
11.gif
hee hee

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/26/2004 4:17:22 PM Mara wrote:

>SPYGIRL! should check things out! --

SPYGIRL! has checked it out & maintain my conclusions.

I can't specifically speak for the lucinda. But, they make the others for Tiffany's. Even more interesting, I think D.Vatche makes the baguette side stone ring that Saks bridal dept. features. I got close enough to compare but not out of the case.

nyclooking

Rough_Rock
hmm, I guess the first time I went it was a saturday morning so they weren't that busy, and the woman behind the counter greeted me and started helping me. I thought she was pretty good and she was certainly very patient so thereafter I've always called ahead to make an appointment with her before showing up, and she would do the homework before I get there so when I get there she would just show me what she's found so neither one of us is wasting time --on that basis I thought overall the service was excellent! I remember once I was sitting there some guy at the next table asked for a glass of champagne and they brought it, so maybe all you have to do is ask!

I guess I like to think they would do this for every one of their customers, regardless of what they were looking for.

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Here is my experience at Tiffany's:

I didn't get any champagne or anything, but the sales lady was very nice to us(me and my fiancee). Neither of us looked wealthy, and infact my fiancee was wearing a red roxy sweat pants and a gray USC sweatshirt. To be honest, we were overlooked for a few minutes, but to Tiffany's credit, every sales person were attending other customers. One thing I did notice was that none were rushing their customers and were politely and patiently helping them out. So i didn't feel too bad that it took five minutes for someone to be directed our way. Consistently, our sales lady was patient and pleasant... but we left the store the first time to think things through with rational mind, since my fiancee was so awestruck after trying on a few Lucidas. I also noticed the substantial difference from the Vatch, which we had checked out 1 hour before at Robbins Brothers. The sales lady had written down the specs and prices of some rings we looked at on her business card. I asked my fiancee if she liked the square or rectangular, and if the 107 point stone was big enough for her. And I told her that i was willing to spend just as much money for a bigger one elsewhere if that is what she prefered. She is 4'11 and 4.25 ring size, so it was a good size for her, and she didn't want anything bigger and showy. We went back in and I told the sales lady that if I was gonna spend that kind of money, I would want more choices as to quality. She then took me to a private viewing room to show me some more rings as well as a computerized inventory of every ring in every tiffany's, which she said can be flown in to be shown and/or purchased. Within my price and size range, she showed me a long list of rings of varying color and clarity. Ultimately we picked the 107point, G, VVS2 that looked just gorgeous on my fiancees finger. As soon as the purchase ended, we were introduced to the customer service lady, who happened to be a graduate gemonlogist, who politely sized my fiancees finger, and secured the ring to be sent to NY. I didn't even think once about something happening to the diamond that i just purchased. And exactly 8 days later, received a phone call for me to pick up the ring. Everything went really well(the sizing was done beautifuly and the ring WAS the exact same one I bought, ofcourse). To me the peace of mind, and the experience of taking my fiancee to a high end retailer to shop was unforgettable.... ofcourse, it was preceded by hours of research and trips to the LA dimaond district, Robbins bros, and maul jewelers. Yesterday, we were sitting in the movie theater waiting for the "Passion" to start, and even in the dimly lit theater, the Lucida was shimmering so beautifuly on her finger. I knew that I did not make a mistake.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate all the input I am getting. I seriuosly had no idea Tiffany was so controversial until I started researching this. I personally don't want to "pay for a name". If I did not have the budget I do then I think it would be fun to have a Tiffany ring even if I was the only one that knew it was but since I do have a budget and don't want a tiny diamond Tiffany is not the way to go for me.

I was considering the Vatche setting until I read the replies here but now I am not so sure. I really want a very sipmple setting with no side stones but I want the best quality possible. I still like the look of the Vatche setting though. Can anyone recommend some places to look for settings that are nice. I have seen some I like on WF and Blue Nile. Since I want something simple and classic it should not be too hard to find something to suit my taste.

Also, if I find a diamond I like on Whiteflash for example but not a setting how do I go about getting the ring set somewhere else. Will I have to ship it to them myself or can WF do it for me?

Thanks again!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe nobody mentioned the most obvious difference between those two pictures: The crossover is different. In the Tiffany, the upper-left-to-lower-right diagonal is on top. In the D. Vache, the lower-left-to-upper-right diagonal is on top. See what I mean?

Unless the backs of the rings are different, that's an obvious way to tell them apart.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF can ship the diamond to be set elsewhere, though I would actually recommend that you have the diamond set by the company you purchase the diamond from, unless the setting company is a manufacturer etc...rather than just a jeweler. I'd rather have the more expensive piece being set by the people who I bought it from, rather than having someone I am paying $500 to for a setting...set my $3k diamond. I tend to think that more care would be given on the manuf/vendor diamond's side, though maybe I am paranoid.
2.gif

BTW Good catch Glitter!! I didn't even notice that.
2.gif
More eyes are good.

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Lady,

i agree with Mara. Its a bad idea to buy the stone and settings seperately. Find a dealer that carries the Dvatch, as they are beautiful settings, and make sure you check there previous mounting jobs by asking around for pictures. Once you find the vendor that does a great job at mounting, BUY the diamond from them even if you have to pay a little more. Its not worth saving a few hundred bucks or even getting a bigger stone, when you end up with a sloppy mounting job. Doesn't matter how gorgeous the rock is if the presentation is ugly. Get the idea? I've heard that bluenile has a good reputation for the overall ring quality, although they tend to be on the more expensive side for an online vendor. They also have a lucida look alike if you choose the right diamond shape. I don't think they have one for a round brilliant shape. But check the settings for the princess, radiant, asscher, etc.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually..I do not agree with just buying the diamond with whoever you find the setting with. ALL DIAMONDS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL just as settings are not. Both should be paid particular attention with the research.

You can buy your setting separately and have it shipped to the diamond vendor, it should not be an issue. Esp with Vatche...alot of people sell their settings and will just sell the setting only.

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Mara, my mistake.

I should have read your post more carefully.

Lady, I still don't like the idea of shipping stones around the country to get the best deal on a diamond and the best deal on the setting. That to me is being way too price conscious. If I was buying a sports jacket and a pair of dress slacks, I wouldn't mind the added logistics... but for a diamond ring, you're just increasing your chances for 'accidents' and 'mishaps' I am sorry i have to mention this... but just as you're in danger of paying too much buying in person at a physical retailer such as tiffany's, you're in danger of not getting what you thought(since you never see the final product) you're getting when you buy on-line. Thus the trade off. Save money VS buy without seeing. Personally, if i was a vendor, I'd pay more attention to creating the ring for a customer who purchased both the diamond and the setting from me. Why should I prioritize a customer who bought from me a setting which yields only a 200 dollar margin, especially if they expect me to receive, work on, and ship out a diamond worth thousands purchased elsewhere. Why for a 200 profit(or even less after overhead costs are accounted for), should I accept the responsibility of holding a 3000 dollar diamond. If anything was to happen to it, whether it is my fault or not, the customer will come after me. Too much headache. Lady, you're not likely to get a better deal buy buying the two seperately. But as Mara suggested, it wouldn't be so bad if you bought the setting first and sent it to the diamond dealer of your choice. Although, he or she may not have much experience mounting diamonds on a setting they do not carry. To be safe, Just go to one reputable vendor with a good selection of diamonds and the setting you want, and let him/her make some money... they have to make a living too, right?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nit...again..you misread my post
1.gif

The best scenario is that Lady should buy her setting and ship it to the diamond vendor...the place where she bought her diamond. THEY can set the diamond into the setting for her. I highly agree that I wouldn't want some random jeweler working on setting my diamond into their $500 setting, BUT if it was the manufacturer of a quality setting (e.g. Vatche themselves), I would feel better. But definitely not some random jeweler. Though I would still prefer the diamond vendor to set the stone.

However most vendor companies that sale diamonds can source settings, and/or people have had settings shipped to diamond vendors often..it isn't going to be a huge deal.

1.gif
Good luck Ldy.

ShallowHal

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this post everyone. Finally i seem to have the final verdict: Vatche is not Lucida. may be they do manufacture the lucida, but the one they sell under their own name is not the same design. I see why people are willing to pay soooo much more for the Lucida. It is one and only.
love.gif
Plus, I've been to Tiffany's and love the fact that the diamonds are pre-mounted on to custom lucida settings. I heard that tiffany's make 8 different size settings to accomodate the different diamond sizes. Wow, talk about attention to detail and craftmenship.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually 'Tiffanys' doesn't make anything
1.gif
The manufacturer of the Lucida setting FOR Tiffany should be getting your 'craftsmanship' accolades.
2.gif

The Lucida is truly lovely...I have seen it on alot of gals out there and think I have a friend who has one. Not exactly one and only....
9.gif
but surely a charmer. Enjoy it!

ShallowHal

Rough_Rock
oh right... tiffany probably doesn't make lucida.... but i am sure they specify to their manufacturer the quality and customization, and pay a premium for it too. That deserves accolade.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I was a little confused when I first started posting here and long time posters would mention the "Friday Tiffany thread". But, you're all so right! A Tiffany thread consistently pops up every week. It's getting a little spooky.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
again thanks for the ideas and input, I do think that sending the setting to the vedor of the stone is a good idea. It makes sense to me that the seller of the stone would take more care in setting the stone. Also I am not keen on the idea of shipping the stone more than need be.

I guess my concern is that if I choose to get my setting and stone from the same vendor that the setting will be quality. I am very concerned about the quality of the setting not only when it comes to appearance but durabilty. I don't want to have a nice stone in a cheap looking setting. Also will they be able to assit me as to whether or not the setting I choose will compliment the stone I choose?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady...your best bet is to start looking around and working with some reputable vendors. They should not steer you wrong if they have rightly earned their reputations. If they have quality stones, chances are they don't want you to set it in a crappy setting either.
1.gif
When you find the stone...you can work out the particulars with them on the setting.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/26/2004 8:53:43 PM Mara wrote:

Lady...your best bet is to start looking around and working with some reputable vendors. They should not steer you wrong if they have rightly earned their reputations. If they have quality stones, chances are they don't want you to set it in a crappy setting either.
1.gif
When you find the stone...you can work out the particulars with them on the setting.

----------------

You got that right, Mara.

There are many generics of my LE setting available, but they aren't as thick and heavy on the band. The bezel isn't as well made, with as much metal as mine has. The generics are precast, laying on the shelf, ready to set.

At White Flash, each LE Heavy Shank Half Bezel is custom made per order. The bezel is made to fit the diamond ordered. There are no seams whatsoever, anywhere. The jewelers use state of the art equipment, including lasers. The ring is smooth, lush, and rich feeling, and looks fabulous.

Yeah, my ring cost more than the generics, but I strongly feel I got what I paid for.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/26/2004 7:33:39 PM LadyJ wrote:

I was considering the Vatche setting until I read the replies here but now I am not so sure. I really want a very sipmple setting with no side stones but I want the best quality possible. I still like the look of the Vatche setting though. Can anyone recommend some places to look for settings that are nice. I have seen some I like on WF and Blue Nile. Since I want something simple and classic it should not be too hard to find something to suit my taste.

Thanks again!----------------

I own a Vatche setting & I can attest to their quality. I looked at several settings. Vatche was the one for me. Mine is a three stone one.

If your tastes are simple, look at Stuller Soltice settings.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
F&I which Vatche do you have? I like their quality...I have been eyeing the 3mm pave band for my w-band...

(and since it's Friday...)

BUT I was not impressed with the x-prong specifically, because I KNOW the Lucida quality...But I am VERY picky with something that will be on my finger for the majority of my natural life (unless someone PRIES it off my finger!
2.gif

IMHO, it was too thin and doesn't have the same weight and smooth roundness to it as the Lucida. But, it is a lovely piece, I still count Vatche (and Mark Morell as a close second) as my favorite of all desingers...
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/27/2004 12:59:12 PM Nicrez wrote:

F&I which Vatche do you have? I like their quality...I have been eyeing the 3mm pave band for my w-band...

(and since it's Friday...)

-

Bump for Friday!

I have the classic Vatche three stone ring w/ baguettes on the side. No x prongs - simple classic setting.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I also have a Vatche setting. My ring is a 3 stone basket setting. I was taken aback at how expensive the setting was but mine was custom made to fit my stones. (My side stones are bigger than their basic 3-stone's.) Also, when my husband took the finished ring to the appraiser, he said she commented on what a great setting it was and how they took so much care with the details of the ring. That made me feel better about spending so much for it!

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
Funny you should mention Stuller and Morell I was looking at those last night and I liked what I saw.

For Vatche I was thinking of the Royal Crown?? The only thing is that I am unsure about how high it will sit because I don't want something that sits too high. I am going with platinum so it will be more durable. I have a tendency to smack my rings around a lot but I love the look of stones set higher. Bezels are pretty too but not really my style. I am going to try some rings on in person so that should help me narrow it down more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results