shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I even consider Tiffany with a budget?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
My fiance and I put a 3,500 budget on my engagement ring. Does anyone know if it is even worth checking into Tiffany? Do you think I will get more bling for my buck so to speak from a dealer online? I know that everyone has an opinion about Tiffany and brand names in general but I don''t know much about shopping for diamonds and I feel confident that at Tiffany I will get quality. But our budget is nto very big. I was hoping for a full carat but will settle for smaller. I know at Tiffany I will not be able to get a full carat with my budget. I do prefer quality over size. I am just beggining the process of looking and I have to admit I am finding it a bit overwhleming.
errrr.gif
Any advice is much appreciated.

grantdawg

Rough_Rock
I am done with my process, but did look into Tiffany and would seriously doubt that you'd be able to get anything other than a very small diamond. If you're just starting out, check out Bluenile.com and play around with the diamond search--it'll give you a good idea of the diamond that you'll be able to get for the money. Also, from a price standpoint, Bluenile is very competitive, so I'd use it as a benchmark if you get your ring from a store--their price for the same specs was within $100 of my retailer.

Also, I ended up spending almost 80% more than my original budget--be careful with going shopping together--my soon-to-be fiance and I liked a setting that was significantly more than I budgeted and I can't say 'no' to her!
rodent.gif

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
If you want a carat or close to a carat, I would suggest you forget about Tiffany.

Here is a good diamond just over a carat for $3456 if you mention you got it off of pricescope.

Good luck!
wavey.gif

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Excellent selection. I got my diamond at the same place. I went looking at Tiffany's, and with my budget, I barely could afford a .75 carat. Went online and did some research, found Whiteflash.com, and ended up with a 1.51 ct for less. There are a number of great vendors online.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
I figured as much about Tiffany. I don't really care to have a ring that is "Tiffany" or not I just want the best quality I can get for my budget. There is always the chance we will go over.
naughty.gif
My next question is this. What if I find the diamond I like but they don't have the setting? Also, if they do have the setting my next concern is the qulaity. Are there certain places online that have better quality setting or are they all about the same? Tiffany advises on thier site to avoid build your own ring sites. Is that bs or what? Like I said I know nothing about any of these things so I appreciate the input.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Honestly, you can get close to a 1 ct for that budget with the online vendors here. I'd suspect you could *maybe* break the .50 ct mark with that same money at Tiff's. If it were me, I'd want more stone for the same money.

A few things to help. Focus on cut - doesn't have to be a super duper louper stone, but a fine make (good cut proportions) will make all the difference. That's what makes a diamond sparkle like mad!

The best values can be had in G/H/I color and S1-1 or eyeclean SI2 clarity. Stick with an AGS or GIA stone if you lean toward SI2 - these labs grade more strictly, so even an SI2 should be lovely if the inclusions are white and eyeclean.

Above all, TALK to the vendors about stones you're interested in. Ask them to tell you about the inclusions - where they are, if they are white, dark or black, and if the stones are eyeclean. All of the usual suspects here are highly reputable and will tell you flat out what the stone looks like.

In your range, you can likely get a .85-.95 ct. stone in the H/I, SI1 or SI2 clarity.....and that is a quality stone. I own an eyeclean H, SI2 ....it's WHITE and completely eyeclean. Allowed me to get the most presence for my money, and you can't tell the difference between my stone and someone walking around with an F, VS stone. Why pay for what you cannot see?

Here are few examples of what you can get:

My top pick: 1.00 I, SI 1 for $3842 - http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-586226.htm# - this diamond has an exceptional ideal scope image and the cut proportions are beautiful. (don't forget that WF discounts for PS members - ask them about it).

OR:

1.01, I SI-1 for $4015 - again, ASK about the discount .....the ideal scope on this diamond is exquisite! http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-586241.htm

1.01 J, SI1 for $3,545 .....the ideal scope image on this diamond rivals ANY of the best cut diamonds I've seen here on PS.....as long as the J faces up white, this could get you to the carat mark without ANY visual sacrifice. PQ just bought a J stone from WF....look at the pictures...they are WHITE. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-586242.htm#

.93, H, VS2 for $3627 - (keep in mind that WF gives discounts to PS members, so these may be in your reach - ask them about the discount). http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-548790.htm# Again, the ideal scope on this diamond looks really nice!

.88, G, SI2 for $3,052; not as much info about this diamond up front, but I'm sure DCD will provide it.....ask about the inclusions - are they eyeclean, where are they located, etc. http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=6908671

.806, G, SI1 for $3274 http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=6946065 - same thing - not a lot of info up front but ask about inclusions.

Good luck - let us know how we can help. So exciting!

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Lady,

I have just finished my ring buying process. I did buy a Tiffany Lucida. For ANY budget, you'll have to make a significant sacrifice on the size or the quality of the stone. For me, it was size, by about half a carat. With 3500, you are looking at about a 30-40point stone. if you went over and splurge with 5000 bucks, the biggest size you can get is probably 50 to 60 point assuming the minimum tiffany quality of I/VS2. If you are happy with that size and quality, go for it. As far as the setting advice from tiffany's website, its not really BS but not completely true since you CAN find beautiful settings and jewlers who can set the stone right. But you do have to see their previous work with you own eyes. Tiffany craftmanship is not easy to beat. I've seen a VatchXprong at robbins brother, and it was nice, but the way the diamond was mounted could not match the sleek tiffany setting. Ofcourse, you'd have to be very detail oriented to see the difference, but to me the prongs were jutting way to high above the plane of the dimaond's crown. But I am sure that there are vendors online and offline that can do a much better job than Robbins brothers... and i am sure worse is possible as well. Just look at all the pics of e-rings posted on forums... you'll get a good idea of how setting and mounting qualities vary. With Tiffany, you're guaranteed the best overall quality. But you do have to sacrifice on the diamond itself, or pay a premium... But the stones ARE very beautiful. Don't let others play it down. My fiancee is very happy with it, even though she knows she could have gotten a bigger diamond if i didn't go to Tiffany's.... I hope this helps.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/25/2004 11:01:14 PM LadyJ wrote:

Tiffany advises on thier site to avoid build your own ring sites. Is that bs or what? ----------------

Not BS, unfortunately. The respective page with setting technicals at Tiffany is great. It is very unlikely that the any of the vast majority of off-the-rach (designer or no name alike) settings would withstand such scrutiny. What the Tiffany webpage does not say, is that yes, achieving such quality is perfectly feasible by having your setting custom made. The process is quite simple (many buyers here went that route) and you may also be plesantly surprised by the cost. You would probably get an entire set of jewelry made with the difference between the price of a Tiffany ring and the cost of a simmilar ideal cut diamond bought online !

Inspecting samples of a jeweler's previous work is very good indication of what you can expect to get - just as good as Tiffany's adds and rings shown over the counter, I guess. It is quite 'generous' of Tiffany to have offered a good tutorial on what one should expect from a good quality, custom made setting
1.gif
The resepctive quality norms are certainly not unique to Tiffany, I am affraid.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/26/2004 12:58:59 AM nitpicky wrote:

With Tiffany, you're guaranteed the best overall quality. But you do have to sacrifice on the diamond itself, or pay a premium... But the stones ARE very beautiful. Don't let others play it down. My fiancee is very happy with it, even though she knows she could have gotten a bigger diamond if i didn't go to Tiffany's.... I hope this helps.
2.gif

----------------

Nitpicky, although I agree with you about finding it hard to reporduce a good Lucida setting, as I bought a Radiant (which is very similar to the Lucida cut), I wanted it initially set in a Vatche x-prong to be like a Tiffany's Lucida. Vatche didn't cut it quality-wise for me either, so I am having my ring cutome made.

I DO NOT agree that with Tiffany's you are guaranteed overall best quality. You are guaranteed overall GOOD quality, but best, no way. The only guarantee of that is knowing your stones, finding a well cut, well proportioned, good color grade and clarity stone and having it custom set to your exacting standards, because YOU oversee every detail of that stone to ring.

I know it's not Friday yet, but here goes: When we almost gave up looking for a radiant we went to Tiffany's in NY. We wanted a D, E, or F stone VVS2 or so in 1.5-2.0cts. Guess what? Tiffany's didn't carry over a G VS2. They had some 1.5 H VVS2s...for $23. We priced a E, VVS2 2.03 radiant at $15K. They offer what all other people do, with a bit more quality, but if you look, you can find that elsewhere too!

Tiffany's is NOT the end all be all, they are like the major department stores like Saks who sell luxury items, which can be bought at a discount dept store for half. It's the name, and THAT's what you TRULY [ay for. Hey, if you don't want to look around, and you WANT TIffany's, then I say go for it, but by NO MEANS is Tiffany's always quality...just try waiting for 30 minutes to have a sales person even appraoch you. Is that quality customer service?

Whooo. I feel better. Thanks.

9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/26/2004 10:16:02 AM Nicrez wrote:

----------------
On 2/26/2004 12:58:59 AM nitpicky wrote:

I wanted it initially set in a Vatche x-prong to be like a Tiffany's Lucida. Vatche didn't cut it quality-wise for me either, so I am having my ring cutome made.

I DO NOT agree that with Tiffany's you are guaranteed overall best quality. You are guaranteed overall GOOD quality, but best, no way. src="https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

Interesting and it's not even Friday. If you didn't like the Vatche quality you will definitely not like the Tiffany quality - one & the same!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
F&I, actually, that's what THEY say, but I have 3 seperate diamond cutters who claim to have been the designers of the Lucida cut as well, so anyone can claim what they want to boost sales and increase reputation...

I CAN say with certainty that the Vatche x-prong IS NOT comperable to the Lucida setting, although similar, IS NOT the same. I have a frightening eye for details and they are not comperable. Vatche has a tinner shoulder, as well as they lip up to the stone differently, then the Lucida. The cross over is actually more x-like in the Vatche than the Lucida, which is slightly more U shaped...I did a side by side picture comparison and a touch-test feel comparison. Different weight feel as well. Even the platinum material felt different and heavier on the Lucida. You know what? I'll try to go at lunch to Tiffany's and then to Michael C. Fina and compare again...now I am intent on pinpointing!
naughty.gif

Maybe my report will come in on Friday...
11.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey it's not Friday!!
1.gif

Lady...as the others noted, your diamond will be speck-sized at Tiffany.
2.gif
I would look at the options Al presented and also read up on the tutorial here and start looking around and doing some research. There are many reputable vendors online, you just have to ferret them out. Luckily there are lots of great testimonials here on Pscope about various vendors so you have alot of choices.

As for Tiffany...I just wanted to also chime in and say that you aren't guaranteed anything at Tiffany but a very marked up diamond. Tiffany may carry well-cut stones (which they don't cut themselves yet...but buy elsewhere then Brand) but they don't guarantee H&A or anything but I VS2, a sparkly stone and an engraved name inside the ring.

If you want to buy Tiffany, by all means go for it and I am sure it will be beautiful, but I feel it's important to know what you are getting at Tiffany and what you're not. Blanket statements such as 'you're guaranteed the best overall quality' to me is misleading because it's all about perception.
2.gif
One person's perception will be different from another. You aren't guaranteed anything anywhere, you have to shop smart.

Jolie

Rough_Rock
The Tiffany near us had a 1 carat solitaire for about $9,800 - it was an I color, VS2. I'm just guessing, but I think you could probably find a similar stone on-line for half that price or less. Which means the Tiffany setting (with the stamp on the inside) is costing customers about $4,900 on a 1 carat ring. Is the Tiffany setting worth $4,900? Each individual has to decide that. I've also heard that Tiffany rings have a higher re-sale so if you ever plan to sell your ring, that might be a factor.

But whatever stone Tiffany has is available elsewhere - that is, same quality of cut, color, clarity, etc. To me, it comes down to how much I'm willing to pay for the Tiffany setting. Unfortunately, I don't feel their setting is worth $4,900. Other people may feel differently.

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
I Completely agree with everyone here. They are all valid and good advices. Although I opted for the Lucida, I will agree that it is not the best deal. But may i say that neither is a Kelly bag or a Starbucks Coffee. Its a personal decision. For me, I love the designs of a coach bag better than the LV bag. Price difference? 1 to 30 ratio. I would never buy my girl an LV bag simply because we do not like the design. We felt, though, that the Lucida was worth the extra 5 grand. One may argue that you can't flaunt a Tiffany ring. Yes, true... although my fiancee was approached a few times in two weeks with the question, "is that a Tiffany Lucida?", or "what kind of shape is that? its not really a princess?". Hence the chance to flaunt without being a big showoff. Most importantly She(and her blushing friends) know what kind of ring it is. Ofcourse, if she, like many ladies here, was into big, or better diamond, I would have purchased a non-brand. But we're in LA, we've always loved and purchased Tiffany design pieces, so why not the e-ring?
AS far as the DVatche VS Lucida setting? I posted pictures here, so judge for yourself.

engagement_lucida_lucida2.jpg

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
here is the x-prong by D'vatche

803-b.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
This may sound crazy and even a little exaggerated, but just think of it this way. If you had your heart set on buying a BMW. It was brand new, fully loaded, in the color that you prefer, and the BMW dealer was offering $60,000 for the car. Would you still want to buy the BMW from the dealer if you "KNEW" that you could buy the same exact car from a broker for $50,000. The dealer and broker were each willing to sell you this car offering the same customer service, warranty, satisfaction guarantee, and all the "bells & whistles" that go along with buying a car. So the question is, how important is it for you to buy from the dealer. If your more concerned about price than buy from the broker. If your more concerned about "name brand" than buy from the dealer. Sorry for the analogy, but it is that simple. Good luck with your search!

wavey.gif

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
ould you still want to buy the BMW from the dealer if you "KNEW" that you could buy the same exact car from a broker for $50,000]

Please, you cannot buy a "Tiffany Lucida" from anywhere else. BUT OK, ok, i'll go with your analogy and assume that you can get the same ring at another store other than Tiffany&co since many believe that diamonds are diamonds and the Lucida is D'vatch. But you have to modify your analogy a little and say that either 1)get a BMW from the BMW dealership for lots more dough, or 2) buy a BMW from a broker for cheaper... but the car would have a Honda logo, and you cannot take it back to BMW for any type of servicing, although you can take it to other mechanical shops. Is this a fair compromise?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Nitpicky, totally glad that your gal got extra bragging rights and a ring she loves, to boot! That's the best! I have recommended TIffany's to a few people, but never without a quick statement (or long) about how Tiffany's does NOT = the BEST. It just equals the perceived best. One guy wanted a 3ct from Tiffany's and found it hard to find a well cut stone like the Lucida at that size, and when I pitched in, I noticed there wern't many. I blessed the Tiffany's purchase, and I still do. I hope he enjoys it, because I think he DID eventually get it.

"With Tiffany, you're guaranteed the best overall quality" - I still don't agree with BEST here...You can't verify quality on ANYTHING unless you forsee it's production yourself, and none of us have THAT kind of time!

Nothing is guaranteed, BUT the branding of Tiffany's will ensure that you have a luxury name to support your mostly quality bag. I worked at a major fashion designer for some time, and I can tell you, their "boutique" items made in India, their "sport" divison, made in Bangladesh, some things they flat out buy from someone else and slap their label on it. Do you truly think Tiffany's at their size is any different?

No it's not a Kelly bag, or an LV bag OR a Coach bag, it's a luxury item, that is 100x more expensive, and serves no purpose to do anything but adorn and impose bragging rights. With handbags, at least women put things IN them...

So if you and your gal want the utimate in bragging rights and those around you are Tiffany's fans, then YOU GO! Congrats and POST PICS!!! /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif/idealbb/images/smilies/love.gif

Anyone here can wear an LV bag and brag about it. Bless you. But I am personally not impressed by labels, especially knowing that they are nothing more than a higher pricetag for an outsourced product. If it was a leather bag handmade by an artisan in Italy for the same price and I liked it, I sure as hell would put that $800 down! But not for a bag with a label made in god knows what 3rd world nation! /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif (is it Friday yet?)/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
People, people, we do this tomorrow around here. Friday is Tiffany Day at PS.
naughty.gif

And the "BMW vs. Honda" analogy is a horse that's been beaten into protoplasm.
rolleyes.gif

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
ith Tiffany, you're guaranteed the best overall quality" - I still don't agree with BEST here...You can't verify quality on ANYTHING unless you forsee it's production yourself, and none of us have THAT kind of time!

Nicre,

I concede you're right!
1.gif

I meant to say "best setting and mounting quality" WHICH CAN be matched.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Alright *grumble* I conceed and back down on Tiffanys (claws retract)...

It's NOT friday. But it sure as heck SHOULD be...
2.gif

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
BTW, I am not trying to argue... but I must fess up and say that everyone wants others to see things there way, because it validates there opinion and decisions. I am one the same. Since this is a very respectable and well known forum for such discussion, I chose to provide another opinion on the 'tiffany debate'. Hopefully, my thoughts as well as everyone else's are going to be helpful to first timers. Cheers.
wavey.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
I give. Please no more car analogies!
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

It must be Friday somewhere in the world!

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
I second that... no more car, bags, or coffee.

tessa

Shiny_Rock
please correct me if I am wrong but I was told that DVatche™ IS who makes the Lucida settings for Tiffany.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe, it's always BMW, Honda and LV in the Tiff discussions. Why oh why?!
2.gif
*clutches LV bag protectively*

Hey I woke up this morning and THOUGHT it was Friday, does that count?
9.gif

So can someone (an expert hopefully) tell me what the actual differences are between the Lucida Tiffany setting that NP posted and the resulting Vatche XProng pictures. Maybe my lunchtime salad has colored my vision, because they look the same to me minus some fancy photography and lighting in the Tiffany shot?

ShallowHal

Rough_Rock
Wow, big difference in the DVatche and the Lucida. Can someone confirm that those pictures posted are genuine. coz that is what i've been looking for, since everybody say that lucida is made by Dvatche but some say no. I love tiffany's and was looking for justifying my demanding it from my boyfriend/fiance. I think Tiffany is the best coz they represent an all American luxury culture. I feel like if i got the lucida, i am getting a piece of Audrey Hepburn, Sweet home alabama, and something that will be memorable for generations. I know gurls who got generic rings that were bigger, but no one really thinks its a big deal around my circle and assume it not that good quality.... i am 20years old at UCI and all my friendz swoon when i show them pics of the lucida. I am so excited.
appl.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
One thing to consider:

If Vatche makes the Lucida setting (and I do not know if this is true), you can bet that Tiffany has an exclusive arrangement with them that prohibits them from selling the same design under their own label. So by necessity (again, if this is true), the Vatche setting would have to be modified from the Lucida and is not the same thing.

Personally, I think it's just a knock-off. I find it hard to believe that Tiffany would allow them to sell a close copy if they had a design agreement.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
It's a choice to make, like brand clothing. I wear it, and I dare anyone out there to say they don't own at least one branded clothing item...One shiny penny to the winner...

Mara, you love your bag! Go girl!

No car analogies. Cars are useful, diamonds are pretty. No comparison at all whatsoever.

Vatche X-prong and Lucida ARE NOT THE SAME. My sister has the Lucida. I KNOW the ring. I have been to Tiffany's more times than I have been in my closet. I know that ring with personal knowledge, and I am scary with details. This is NOT the same ring. No way, no how. Maybe they produce a higher end version for Tiffany's...maybe they used to, and now don't...I don't know.

Mara, I know I can't calim to be an expert, but I will make it my mission to head to Tiffany's tomorrow and then to Michael C. Fina (who retails Vatche) and I will note the differences as I observe them. The insanity MUST end. I'll even try to ask someone at Tiffany's, and act all dumb, as if Vatche IS the maker...see what they say...

And for God's sake people...we have a few hours to go for a real Friday's Tiffany debate...but then again...isnt' it Friday in Japan?!
11.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I do notice a few small nuances, the spaces on the shoulders come down farther more on the Tiffany and the head basket is more flat/square than the Vatche which has a bit of a curve to the basket.

Other than that...the lighting on the Tiff picture (and airbrushing too most likely) make it hard to see differences, but those are the two I could pick out.

I do agree with LG though...and you know what I find hard to believe? That with ALL these experts on here in the industry....no one knows who makes the actual Tiffany Lucida setting FOR Tiffany. Because Tiffany does not make it for themselves. Someone out there in the industry MUST have a clue and is just not saying?
2.gif

SPYGIRL! should check things out!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results