shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this Edwardian sapphire ring?

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
Hi all! First I want to say thank you all for posting and sharing so much on this site! I have learned so much and have enjoyed so much eye candy :)

I would like to ask for opinions on this Edwardian sapphire ring. It would be my engagement ring. I am the researcher of the two of us and very picky- so we are choosing a ring together!
According to the jeweller, it has a .80 ct unheated sapphire stone. It has a platinum face and the shank is 18k yellow gold (not seen in the picture). It has .72 ct old mine cut diamonds. It was made in 1905 (which I think is so cool!!!) Isn't the blue very nice! It doesn't seem too purple indoors at all! What do you think of it?

I think it is so cute but I have a few concerns and questions:

Is the stone too small? I am (about to be) a grad student and I know I shouldn't "bling out" too much too soon, but my mother and my sister keep telling me that is what I want and oh... maybe it is! Should I keep looking to find the same color and unheated status in a 1 ct stone in another antique or vintage ring?

The jeweler said that because of the date of the ring, the stone has to be unheated. Is that true?

Any ideas for what band would be nice with such a ring? I'm not partial to bands with bends in them.

Finally, do you have any tips for buying antique jewelry?

Thanks so much! I appreciate any and all comments!

edwardian_sapphire_1_indoors_whole_hand.jpg

edwardian_sapphire_1_indoors_1.jpg

edwardian_sapphire1_sunlight.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether it is too small is very personal. It looks good on your finger, but as you know, we get used to it, and then it seems to shrink every year. :devil: :bigsmile: Sapphires have been heated since the Roman times so it is possible that this sapphire could be heated (or not). Is there a particular reason it has to be unheated?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire could be anything.
It is prong set so he can't even say for certain he bought that sapphire and set it last week.

Particularly the fact the prongs are gold makes me thing its been reset.

Doea the sapphire look old? Have any abrasions

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply Chrono! As for the stone being unheated, I am just like many newbies who want to get the most value I can for such a big purchase! And I like the idea of passing something on that is more valuable. And thanks for the size wisdom :angel:

Thanks Niel! To my untrained eye, there did not appear to be any abrasions, and it did not seem to be any of the modern cuts I am familiar with (precision or concave). So yes, it looked old to me. You mentioned you think it could be reset because of the gold prongs. the jeweler mentioned that the gold prongs are a normal choice for colored stones to make them pop. Do you find that fishy? Also Niel, you said the "sapphire could be anything." are there any precautions you think I should before buying? Thanks so much for any light you are willing to shed on this!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many lapidaries are still cutting mixed brilliant cut, so I don't think the cut of the sapphire is indicative of the age. Metal choice is personal; in fact most set blue sapphires in white prongs and rubies (red sapphire) in gold prongs because that's what makes them pop. Some prefer rose gold for light blue or light green stones. I do agree that if you are spending what is a large amount of money for your e-ring, you should have someone verify that it is indeed a sapphire and unheated (if the lack of treatment matters to you). It doesn't seem like the jeweller knows much about CS.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
greensparkler|1456273721|3994666 said:
Thanks for your reply Chrono! As for the stone being unheated, I am just like many newbies who want to get the most value I can for such a big purchase! And I like the idea of passing something on that is more valuable. And thanks for the size wisdom :angel:

Thanks Niel! To my untrained eye, there did not appear to be any abrasions, and it did not seem to be any of the modern cuts I am familiar with (precision or concave). So yes, it looked old to me. You mentioned you think it could be reset because of the gold prongs. the jeweler mentioned that the gold prongs are a normal choice for colored stones to make them pop. Do you find that fishy? Also Niel, you said the "sapphire could be anything." are there any precautions you think I should before buying? Thanks so much for any light you are willing to shed on this!

Like chrono said, usually white metal flatters the cool tones of blue sapphires, which is why I wouldn't think a bench when making the ring originally would take the time to use gold prongs. If it was a Ruby though, that would make sense. That's one thing that makes me suspicious. Two, the fact it doesn't have any abrasions would make me suspicious too. Yes, sapphires are good for everyday wear. But its 105 years old, as he claims. It shouldn't look brand new.

Most stones are not precision cut (and I'd put concave in that category), so the fact it was neither of those cuts I don't think says one way or the other.

Now again these are suspicions. Suspicious doesn't mean it's bad, means you need to verify what he's trying to sell you is actually what he's saying it is.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much is he asking?

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
thanks Chrono and Niel!

So my next step is to ask for an AGL report from the jeweler, correct?

He is asking for $2500. (Our budget is $6500, but of course we are happy to spend less!)

PS Chrono your "Splash" ring is gorgeous!! :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
greensparkler|1456275211|3994682 said:
thanks Chrono and Niel!

So my next step is to ask for an AGL report from the jeweler, correct?

He is asking for $2500. (Our budget is $6500, but of course we are happy to spend less!)

PS Chrono your "Splash" ring is gorgeous!! :love:

Is it important its antique? A halo? A blue sapphire?

Just curious if this was exactly what you where looking for, or just piqued your interest

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
Yes! I would like an antique (or vintage... although I do love the edwardian style!) vivid royal blue sapphire. I love the cluster or halo look, but I haven't found any cluster or halo sapphire rings that look good on me without something on the sides of it... So this ring is the first one to fit the bill! I would say yes, this is what I am looking for, although I could do with a little more sapphire and a little less diamonds...

I had been searching for a princess Diana ring only to find that they don't really look good on me :(

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked around the website 1stdibs.com ?

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
Indeed I have! Nothing that quite fits the bill within my price range, not since I've been checking anyway.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My inclination is to keep looking, if the size of the main stone is a concern to you already. I would want a ring where the center stone is more balanced to the side stones, and for that setting I would want a larger center stone.

You will be able to get something beautiful in your price range. There are some sapphire rings at Jewels by Grace, other sites as well.

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! I have decided against it.

Part Gypsy, thanks for the recommendation, I really like that site.

Thanks again! :angel:

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
eragem (dot com) has a pretty wide selection of antique and vintage blue sapphires, for more online shopping... Do read carefully though if you definitely want an antique as they also carry "antique-inspired" modern-made rings. Which sometimes for a daily-use item can be the best of both worlds, because a modern-made setting should have a lot of wear in it...

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendation agingsparkle!

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Another option for edwardian and edwardian style is Lang Antiques. The prices are not the most competitive, but the selection is beautiful.

Like the others, I would pass on the ring that prompted this post. It is entirely possible that it is a synthetic sapphire, or heated, or some other gemstone, or not old at all. Based on the lack of abrasions, I would be surprised if it is really over a 100 years old.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
http://www.escobardiamonds.com/sapphire?product_type=45

and

http://www.escobardiamonds.com/sapphire?product_type=45%2C43

they've been popular on PS recently for their good supply of sapphires, lovely designs and ease of working with them, in case you decided to go the reproduction route.

If you wanted to go the custom cluster route which would elegantly accommodate a larger stone, this is lovely

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-lost-sapphire-has-been-found.93860/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-lost-sapphire-has-been-found.93860/[/URL]

I don't particularly like eragem.

I've got to say, I love the original ring and suspect it is indeed Edwardian. The sapphire may be a Verneuil and original to the ring. In any case it would be easily replaced within your budget if an AGL brief found it to be synthetic, or heated. Then you could negotiate the price, if you wished to go that route. It also looks lovely on your hand. The smallness of a coloured stone, in my opinion, isn't an issue as long as it retains its vibrancy and in this case it is nicely proportionate with the setting. But if the ring is not for you there are plenty more out there.

greensparkler

Rough_Rock
Hi Swissmiss and Coralfish! Thanks so much for your advice. Coralfish, I love the website you linked to! Also the ring in the post you linked... so beautiful! :love:

Thanks so much for your input it's much appreciated!

PS Coralfish, looove your username!

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Greensparkler! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results