color
clarity

Should I break up this ruby ring?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Noooo! Now i am doubting myself.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I always thought I would wear it more if it had a wider band and I could fit it on my pointer. Maybe I should consider that. Thank you!

I love wider bands
And having it sized is a cheap fix to see if you'll wear it more

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Gah! I used to be so much more frivolous and glam in my tastes. I’m definitely getting more conservative as I get older. Looking at more wearable every day stuff. Even bands, which never used to interest me at all.

Is it the pandemic? I mean, I have stuff that I haven’t worn in ages but I’m assuming that in 2-3 years when things go back to normal they will come out of storage.

Plus the older one gets, the bigger the bling is... you know what I mean? This one is just big and fabulous looking.

But ok if you have really decided, want a matching set of earrings/rings, then we are totally going to be supportive of course.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I think a lot of it is that I just cannot resist pulling my jewellery apart and putting it back together again, in new ways. Godlike, I feel if I “made” it I feel like I can unmake it LOL! Strangely I never break up anything I bought as a ready made item.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a lot of it is that I just cannot resist pulling my jewellery apart and putting it back together again, in new ways. Godlike, I feel if I “made” it I feel like I can unmake it LOL! Strangely I never break up anything I bought as a ready made item.

I was thinking about your ring and while I’d still size to a more comfortable ring- if you do change it, I’d set the pears in an eternity where the pears are set at a 45 degree angle... or some other interesting way

Attachments

• 0DFE2DD6-8C52-47D1-929B-7871EA10DEAA.jpeg
    0DFE2DD6-8C52-47D1-929B-7871EA10DEAA.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 68A0EE46-4230-4E0C-AF24-8144656CBEEC.jpeg
    68A0EE46-4230-4E0C-AF24-8144656CBEEC.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 46B1161B-9BC7-46E5-82A6-6EE9842AB76B.jpeg
    46B1161B-9BC7-46E5-82A6-6EE9842AB76B.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 22

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh pretty!!!!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to make it more wearable on more occasions then I would remove the diamonds and set it in a very yellow gold heavy bezel witrout the diamonds and use the diamonds elsewhere. I love ruby cabachons simply set in yellow gold. Timeles.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you didn’t say this, but how about a pendant or even a ringdant. Seriously tho, have that center stone looked at. Those are pretty large diamond pears to be clustered with “glass” ruby. (Not impossible, mind you) Heated probably, but couldn’t hurt to get a gemologist to peer at it.

I love both settings, but sounds like you’ll enjoy the matched set more.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve taken some close up in the sunshine photos which I think show the flux filling in this.

F46AC188-E989-4BE7-ABC2-A59D71C6509C.jpeg

I think I am going to break it up. Make the ruby more of a “fashion” piece to match the earrings - I can get that pave design made up for a few hundred bucks.

Then do something more classic with the diamonds.

I really do like that eternity band - although I will probably go for a half. And I think earrings too.

First step is to take it to the jeweller and get it evaluated. It is probably worth having the stone checked - not to get a cert but just to be sure.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
You can do whatever you want, but I wouldn't spend the money to make a fashion piece. If you feel the ruby doesn't "deserve" the diamonds, you'll just have spent more money to reset the ruby, which reminds me of the phrase "good money after bad". I would personally just gift it away or sell it, as there is nothing particularly special about those diamonds. White diamonds in that size are widely available, and it's just as easy (actually, imo, even easier) to start making a band or a tennis bracelet with loose diamonds, which you don't have to remove from the ring.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So lovely.

I love the half eternity band and earrings idea. Then you get another matching set.

I wanna know your jeweler who will create that pave ring for a few hundred dollars. I might have to go there!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So lovely.

I love the half eternity band and earrings idea. Then you get another matching set.

I wanna know your jeweler who will create that pave ring for a few hundred dollars. I might have to go there!

Same! I was thinking the project would be more expensive.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Abu Dhabi. And I get a lot of jewellery made so my jeweller charges me reasonably. A setting in gold usually costs me c. AED 1,500 - about $400. The setting of my sapphire in platinum cost me AED 2,500 - c. $700. The settings for the pave ruby earrings above were AED 4,500 - about $1,250. They are all handmade not cast and custom designs.

If I went down to the other jeweller I use in Dubai it’s about 20% cheaper because they use the lost wax method and are a massive enterprise with a huge workshop. Also I’ve been dealing with them for 15 years so again I get good prices.

This is why, living here, funding my hobby isn’t too painful.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
You can do whatever you want, but I wouldn't spend the money to make a fashion piece. If you feel the ruby doesn't "deserve" the diamonds, you'll just have spent more money to reset the ruby, which reminds me of the phrase "good money after bad". I would personally just gift it away or sell it, as there is nothing particularly special about those diamonds. White diamonds in that size are widely available, and it's just as easy (actually, imo, even easier) to start making a band or a tennis bracelet with loose diamonds, which you don't have to remove from the ring.

I like the stone - as I’ve already said. I just feel it should have a more “appropriate” dress. I don’t see spending $700 on a setting for it as as waste.

It might be easier to start with loose diamonds but 18 quite well matched pear shaped diamonds in a G colour VS clarity and with a total weight of 4.5cts is going to be a teensy bit more expensive and challenging to acquire than re setting the ruby - which I want to keep and actually wear!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I was about to say if you feel it's not practical, getting it changed to the Bayco type design would be nice (I like it, it's very sleek). I like something like @meely's emerald cab design too.

Then I saw the side view photo of the ruby ring and now I feel it's a shame to change the setting - it's lovely and quite unique. :kiss2: Looks well made too.

How about changing the setting for the ruby to the Bayco type one or something else and keeping the old setting as is and putting another centre stone in it? A flatter or an opaque/translucent stone might feel more wearable both style-wise and comfort-wise?

I feel somewhat sad seeing so many beautiful settings being taken apart on PS for the stones, though that isn't to say I'm against changing stones or settings per se, and would do the same if it felt right.

Is this ring the one in your profile photo? It looks kind of vintage but is it quite modern then? I think I may be confused but I thought flux residues in rubies were a relatively recent thing (like 1970/80s onwards) - perhaps someone more knowledgeable might be able to fill me in (no pun intended). :D

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
If it is glass filled, unsetting it could destroy the stone. Fine if flux healed. My vote is usually doing what you will actually wear.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I love the inspiration photo and it instantly reminded me of your new earring. I say go for it. Loved the double row eternity band idea, too.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Swap the diamonds with CZ so you can preserve the ring design as is.
Win - Win

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just saw this today and thought of this thread.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Err I think you should write down a list of the reasons why you are not currently wearing it and why you want to reset it.

Then ask how many of these will be resolved by the new design. Finally ask if you had to pay 2 k to reset, would resolving these points be worth 2 k /+ assuming the whole finished piece costs 2 k what will be your predicted cost per wear?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw this today and thought of this thread.

And it’s sold! Waaaaah!

But that does make me think..... maybe I can bag a cab rubellite and make a matching ring for my earrings with that.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m taking the ruby ring to the jewellers today to get an opinion on what treatment the ruby has had.

I might start by getting the band made wider at the bottom and sized to fit my index finger. Then see if I wear it. The fact it’s uncomfortable and I can only fit it on the fourth finger if my left hand is definitely a major reason why I get it out, try it on, then put it back. If I could wear it on my pointer finger I think it would perhaps get some use for brunches. Which are one of the few social activities still going on these days.

Then if I still haven’t worn it in 6 months I can revisit.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the ring as it is, however, I am also in the camp for re-purposes unloved/unsuitable pieces into something more wearable.

As for wearing rings so hefty that they would hurt my hands when clapping, that happens regularly as I prefer rings with wider shanks.

My usual RHR is a chunky 5mm wide platinum band with a small EC set East-West, and I often pet the dog with it, much to his annoyance as it hurts his little head! :lol-2:

DK :))

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So I just happened to go past the gold and diamond park today and fell through the door accidentally. Look what I found. A diamond bangle to match my ruby ring that I decided not to destroy (yet).

The smaller one has stones almost the exact same size as the ruby (.18ct each). The larger one has pears which are .35ct each.

So now I know what a bangle made with those pears would look like.

But of course NOW I don’t want to break up the ring because I can get my matching set by buying one of these bangles. I knew coming here was a mistake.

Which would you get - the smaller or larger one? Both G /H colour VS clarity.
0DACB7FF-2E7B-4893-86FC-7C9898DBE1B5.jpeg B360FFF9-13ED-431D-934D-568C05168027.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So I just happened to go past the gold and diamond park today and fell through the door accidentally. Look what I found. A diamond bangle to match my ruby ring that I decided not to destroy (yet).

The smaller one has stones almost the exact same size as the ruby (.18ct each). The larger one has pears which are .35ct each.

But of course NOW I don’t want to break up the ring because I can get my matching set by buying one of these bangles. I knew coming here was a mistake.

0DACB7FF-2E7B-4893-86FC-7C9898DBE1B5.jpeg B360FFF9-13ED-431D-934D-568C05168027.jpeg

Whoops I hate it when that happens! Falling through the doors of jewelry stores! :lol-2: I can't believe I am saying this because for me when it comes to diamonds I like bigger ones but I think I like the second picture best.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock

That's a nice "problem" to have, this random falling through doors of jewelery stores! Both bracelets look gorgeous so going back to the original point of this thread where you mentioned not wearing the ring as much because it is blingy, which bracelet will you wear more as a set with the ring? The smaller one sounds like it'll be better for "everyday" wear with your ring but if you're planning on the set being an occasion wear type deal, then the bigger one sounds amazing. Either one looks amazing on their own too.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
You cracked me up! I think the second one fits better and looks lovely. However, if there’s a chance of repurposing, then i’d vote for the larger stones.:kiss2:

Ps where is that park? ????

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
The gold and diamond park is a whole mall full of jewellery stores in dubai. I haven’t been there for over a year because of Covid. Have had major withdrawal symptoms. I “popped in” after a work meeting and ended up there for over 2 hours. Oops.

I think I actually like the smaller one too. Unusually for me. I’ve got to go back and collect a little pendant I’m having made so I will wear my resized ruby ring when I go back and see. I actually do think that being able to get it on my index finger will make a difference. I really hated it on my fourth finger, both look and feel.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
The gold and diamond park is a whole mall full of jewellery stores in dubai. I haven’t been there for over a year because of Covid. Have had major withdrawal symptoms. I “popped in” after a work meeting and ended up there for over 2 hours. Oops.

I think I actually like the smaller one too. Unusually for me. I’ve got to go back and collect a little pendant I’m having made so I will wear my resized ruby ring when I go back and see. I actually do think that being able to get it on my index finger will make a difference. I really hated it on my fourth finger, both look and feel.

Lol, I thought the “park” was a euphemism I can’t wait to see them together!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results