shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I avoid this diamond due to feathering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

/anubis/

Rough_Rock

I''m in the process of purchasing a diamond through an internet diamond broker. I''ve found what looks like a great SI1 2 carat but there is some feathering around the edge and I''m concerned about the stability of the diamond.

I''d appreciate it if the experts here could take a look at the cert and let me know there opinion. Also, are there any recommended appraisers in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area you would recommend?

Thanks.

201 (Large).jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
the green lines are small natural bits of the rough diamond and are not anything to worry about (sign of a clever cutter).

The small red line - make sure a prong goes over it and you might have a flawless diamond - there will be no problems with that.

otherwise if there are teeny little white lines all around the edge of the stone they come from being bruted too fast and labs usually never even downgrade a stone for them.

Such a stone is very unlikely to break - it would have already have done so while being BRUTED

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A consumer here, but is that not what I have seen termed here many times as a feather leading off the girdle and so something to beware of?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 9:19:12 AM
Author: Pyramid
A consumer here, but is that not what I have seen termed here many times as a feather leading off the girdle and so something to beware of?

It depends, Pyramid. Cutters try to plan around such inclusions so that the feather is inside the diamond. If it doesn’t break the surface or run for a long way inside it may pose no problem. Large/significant feathers can cause a diamond to drop to I1 clarity or lower. If there is a question examination by a knowledgable appraiser or other expert can provide a definite answer.

As Garry alluded, when the diamond was sawed, bruted and polished it underwent enormous pressure. Diamonds are subject to such tremendous friction that they turn white-hot on the polishing wheel. Normal wear will not even come close to what it's already been through. Even so, diamonds have natural cleavage planes, so a knock the wrong way, especially at the girdle, can cause any diamond to chip or incur damage - feather or not. This is why having a good insurance policy is important for even the most flawless diamond.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Just to be completely non-responsive...
41.gif

... I''m no expert, but I''d be more worried about the 41.4 degree pavilion angle - seems a little steep.

Just my unsolicited $.02 (it may be worth less)
35.gif

SKR

Shiny_Rock
When I bought my diamond which was a large VS2 with a feather near the girdle the well regarded independant appraiser said that it simply wasnt an issue as it was so small, regardless of whether it broke the surface or not. The more important point was that it didnt join two points on the girdle and it wasnt large. The stone was completely eye clean and he said he would prefer a small feather near the girdle than one on the table (one of the other stones we were looking at had a feather on the table). GIA would not give a stone a VS1 or VS2 grading if a feather posed a durability issue (but obviously they can make mistakes). I was told not to bother pronging it.

He didnt mean to generalise and obviously this doesnt apply to all stones but if a feather led to a SI2 or more importantly an I grading then it may be more concerning

When it comes to SI1 stones virtually all of the ones I saw had a feather of some sort. Again I was told by someone else that they were not of concern.

/anubis/

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 8:12:11 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Rockdoc is in Boca Raton. He''s worth the short drive.

So far, there''s nothing that looks to be a problem. If it''s priced right you may indeed have a keeper.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Think I can get it for $18.5k. Does that seem like a fair price?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would never give a pass or buy recommendation on a stone without inspecting it and without understanding both the balance of the deal being discussed and objectives of the buyer. That’s the point of the appraisal session. Discuss it with whoever you choose as an appraiser.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

/anubis/

Rough_Rock
Thanks to those who have responded...

Since RockDoc is local to me I believe I will be using his services to help me make an informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results