shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I add a halo to my cushion e-ring?

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I got engaged last November, and I truly truly love my e-ring. Pricescope was very helpful to my fiance (he purchased the cushion from Good Old Gold as well as the vatche setting), so I am hoping you can be helpful once again! As much as I love my ring, lately I have been wondering if I should have asked for a halo type setting. I see so many cushions with halos (on PS and in real life) and I think they are beautiful. I'm not gonna lie, I would also like to have more finger coverage. My cushion is 2.05 carats and my ring size is 4, and sadly I fear I am already experiencing DSS!

1. If you had a cushion and added a halo later, can you post before and after pictures?
2. Would it be possible to add a halo to my existing setting instead of having to get an entire new setting?

Thanks all!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
I don't believe you can add the halo as the halo would be custom made for your stone...but I am by no means an expert. Don't have a cushion either but I wanted to vote for the halo. I know it is hard when no one answers your question so figured I would give you my two cents! :D I love the ones Victor Canera has done on cushions...have you seen them?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
yes you can add before and after photos of your ring, so long as the photos belong to you. It may be possible to add a halo to your existing ring as well. It may be not make the most sense from a cost perspective, but if the original ring is sentimental and you would really like to keep it, it's possible that the head can be changed. It's impossible to give much more advice without seeing photos of your original ring though. Do you have photos you can post?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would contact GOG as I assume since you got the stone from them that they contracted with Vatche for your setting. I'm guessing it's not really practical to try to add a halo to that ring - it would probably call for a whole new ring to have a halo specifically made for your size stone.

Halo rings are pretty but far different from a solitaire. I personally don't think I would halo a 2 ct. stone - it is beautiful on it's own and already has wonderful hand presence. Just my two cents!

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
I don't believe you can add the halo as the halo would be custom made for your stone...but I am by no means an expert. Don't have a cushion either but I wanted to vote for the halo. I know it is hard when no one answers your question so figured I would give you my two cents! I love the ones Victor Canera has done on cushions...have you seen them?

I have, and also Steve K. So beautiful. thank you for your input. :)

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
yes you can add before and after photos of your ring, so long as the photos belong to you. It may be possible to add a halo to your existing ring as well. It may be not make the most sense from a cost perspective, but if the original ring is sentimental and you would really like to keep it, it's possible that the head can be changed. It's impossible to give much more advice without seeing photos of your original ring though. Do you have photos you can post?

Sorry if I was not clear, I was soliciting the before and after pictures of other people. :)

Here is the original link to my "reveal" which has pictures of my e-ring

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-gog-cushion-and-vatche-setting.168744/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-gog-cushion-and-vatche-setting.168744/[/URL]

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chicago Girl,

I just looked at your ring on the reveal thread...it's gorgeous! Personally I wouldn't halo it. I think it would be overkill. That stone is fabulous on it's own.

Woofmama (Another Chicago Girl :wavey: )

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
Seeing the pics of your ring, NO! It's perfect! And it looks big on your finger! It surely doesn't need a halo!

luckky

Shiny_Rock
Chicago Girl|1334097155|3167892 said:
bumpity bump...

2 cts for finger size 4 I think that is SUPER BIG ROCK on your finger but that just only my preference ;-) but hey you never go wrong with Halo :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steven, definitely.

But I think something like this would be more fun. From Singlestone.

CHM1.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Chicago Girl|1334108162|3168077 said:

Sorry if I was not clear, I was soliciting the before and after pictures of other people. :)

Here is the original link to my "reveal" which has pictures of my e-ring

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-gog-cushion-and-vatche-setting.168744/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-gog-cushion-and-vatche-setting.168744/[/URL]

I'm sorry, after I reread you post it became clear that you were asking others to post their photos....blonde moment, I seem to be having them often lately! :oops:

Yes! I remember your big reveal! Your ring is so gorgeous, like so many of the others have said, I'm not sure that I would halo it either. I think that when you get to a certain size stone that adding more is just that....more. I think that your ring screams, taste. It's classic and elegant and timeless, adding the halo IMO would take away from all that. Have you selected a wedding ring? If not, I'd start shopping for one, maybe adding a beautiful diamond eternity will give you a bit of the extra 'wow' factor that your looking for?

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry, after I reread you post it became clear that you were asking others to post their photos....blonde moment, I seem to be having the often lately!

Yes! I remember your big reveal! Your ring is so gorgeous, like so many of the others have said, I'm not sure that I would halo it either. I think that when you get to a certain size stone that adding more is just that....more. I think that your ring screams, taste. It's classic and elegant and timeless, adding the halo IMO would take away from all that. Have you selected a wedding ring? If not, I'd start shopping for one, maybe adding a beautiful diamond eternity will give you a bit of the extra 'wow' factor that your looking for?

Haha, that's ok! I could have worded my question better. :)

And I have not yet selected a wedding ring. I really appreciate your (and others) comments about my ring. I know it's super super lame to base my feelings about something on what other people say, but it does make me feel better. I did pick the style originally b/c it is classic, but I feel like I want people to say "Wow that's really BIG!" and I don't get that comment too much. Again - I know it's lame/shallow of me. :errrr: Even when people have a smaller size center stone but then a halo, I feel like their rings look bigger and more "wow" than mine.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honey, even when I think a ring is a nice size rarely do I comment on the size. Unless it's at a PS GTG. It's kinda impolite, in my opinion. So... maybe you should go with how you feel about your ring instead of other people's perceptions. Cause I gotta tell you, even if you had a halo-- I don't think you are going to get the "wow big!" comments you want. It's just not something people really say, outside of PS. I'd hate to see spend 5k on a reset only to be disappointed because the reactions of others spoil another ring for you. You really need to look to yourself for approval and not look to others reactions. That way lies madness.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, people just don't comment on size. get something because YOU love it, not because other people will comment.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's extremely rare for someone to add a halo to an existing ring, although a couple of people here have had the halos redone on rings that already had a halo. I imagine it can be done, but I am not sure whether it will save you much money over just selling the old setting (for a fraction of what was paid) and starting over. Vatche settings are expensive, so it will add significant more cost to remake the setting, I am sure.

I know cushions face up a little smaller than rounds so you stone really faces up more like a 1.5 ct. round. So I can understand the desire for the halo. However, I think you'll get two reactions...like others said, most people will say nothing at all, and second, some people will think it is frivolous or wasteful to change the e-ring setting and be more critical (hopefully in their thoughts and not to you)) than admiring. Really and truly, you were given great advice...make the ring please YOU, because no one else really cares! (aside from us...and we love to see everyone's rings!)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous but if you really want the extra finger coverage, then go for a halo! Nothing beats them for coverage and bling factor IMO. However, don't count on many people to comment. Outside of PS, I think a lot of people simply don't notice rings like we do.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring already looks substantial on your finger. Get the halo if you like halos. Don't get it if you're just trying to make it look bigger for others to notice. It already is huge, and even huger when compared to your petite (lucky you!) fingers.

People won't tell you it looks huge. It's just awkward. I've seen a lot of beautiful and large and unique varying engagement rings on coworkers, classmates, customers, and the like. I have never once said anything to them about their rings, unless they were newly engaged or had brought up talking about their rings. And even then, I will say it's beautiful and compliment it, but never say "WOW THATS HUGE!" because "huge" can be viewed as a good thing, meaning "Lucky you!" or a bad thing, as in "Wow.. did you really need that? That's overkill. There are kids starving in Africa."

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i personaly think the ring looks huge on your finger and if it was mine i wouldn't halo it.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
I looked at your ring picture. It looks beautiful...and big...but I don't think the halo would "hurt" it at all! If YOU want to see **bigger** every time you look down, go for it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not halo it. If that was my ring and I wanted to get more finger coverage, I would do a three-stone. But as everyone else said, only do it if it is what YOU really want, don't base your satisfaction of your ring on comments you do or don't get. Your ring is gorgeous, and if it was mine, I would not change it AT ALL. I think you'll be more satisfied with the finger coverage once you get your wedding band. If your e-ring is made so that bands sit flush, you could get two and have one on either side.

Though if for whatever reason what you really, really want is people complimenting your ring, go with a colored stone. I've been engaged for over a year and I still get people - strangers, even - drooling over my ring weekly. The contrast between the blue of the sapphire and my pale skin makes it "pop" in a way that would never happen with white diamonds, and fools people into thinking it's bigger. And my center stone is a tad smaller and my finger a tad larger than yours. You could probably get kind of the same effect by using colored stone wedding bands on either side of your e-ring.

I also know you're thinking about getting a colored stone RHR - if you have it sized so it can fit either hand, then maybe you can halo that and occasionally wear it on your left hand when you feel like you want something different than your e-ring.

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the comments. I really do appreciate it. I have decided not to change my e-ring. I am concerned that if I did change it, that even though it would give me more finger coverage, I genuinely prefer the look of no halo, at least for my e-ring. I did and still do want something more simple and classic for my e-ring. I just wish more people complimented it IRL! But I love it regardless.

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
Though if for whatever reason what you really, really want is people complimenting your ring, go with a colored stone. I've been engaged for over a year and I still get people - strangers, even - drooling over my ring weekly. The contrast between the blue of the sapphire and my pale skin makes it "pop" in a way that would never happen with white diamonds, and fools people into thinking it's bigger. And my center stone is a tad smaller and my finger a tad larger than yours. You could probably get kind of the same effect by using colored stone wedding bands on either side of your e-ring.

I also know you're thinking about getting a colored stone RHR - if you have it sized so it can fit either hand, then maybe you can halo that and occasionally wear it on your left hand when you feel like you want something different than your e-ring.

Yes, a colored stone RHR is my next project. I think it will satisfy my needs (of wanting a ring with more finger coverage that really POPS) without having to change my e-ring at all. :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chicogo Girl, I just want to re-emphasize a really, really good point distracts made in her post - I think a wband is going to add more finger coverage and make your stone pop even more - and as she pointed out, you could even do 2 bands to add to the coverage and blingage.

I speak from personal experience - I recently purchased an 8 mm OEC, and I love it - but I'm going to be honest, it didn't appear as "big" as I thought it would! I think the reason being that the set I have been wearing for the past few years took up more space on my finger. I missed wearing a band, so I purchased a platinum band (no stones) to wear with my OEC, and I have to say just adding a simple band to the ring makes the stone "pop" and it looks larger to me on my hand now! And the band "fills up" my finger so to speak and just adds to the finger coverage.

Oh, and your ring is absolutely gorgeous!!! Don't be discouraged that more people don't notice it IRL - as others have pointed out, most people aren't really that into jewelry and just don't notice such things. Rest assured your ring is amazing!

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
beesha77|1334108990|3168086 said:
Seeing the pics of your ring, NO! It's perfect! And it looks big on your finger! It surely doesn't need a halo!

This! Your ring is so beautiful that I think it looks *better* without a halo. Adding a halo would just be too much, in my opinion.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I also love your ring just the way it is.

Perhaps if you add a wedding band (or two), it will feel more substantial.

I think a lot of people would hesitate to comment on the size of someone's diamond ring, simply because some people find it distasteful to do so. Not everyone even notices an engagement ring. Don't take it as a reflection on the beauty or size of your ring.

Iluvprettyrocks

Shiny_Rock
A halo will give you more finger coverage but I think your ring is Gorgeous the way it is! I catch people all the time talking to me and then my ER catches their eye, some people say "your ring is stunning..." others say nothing at all they just stare at it while I'm talking to them :lol: but no one has said "that's huge"...(I have a 1 carat round in a halo, size 4.75 finger)

Good choice in keeping your beautiful ring the way it is :D

I agree with the other PSers...IRL no one really pays attention to rings like we do...and a wedding band can make a substantial difference as well.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Most people don't seem to notice or care about jewelry, so compliments are normally few. When they do come, I really appreciate them.

I am a jewelry nut, so whenever I see something great, whether the diamond is small or large, I just say, "I love your ring. It is gorgeous!" No reference to size or other attributes unless the other person reciprocates with "pricescope-style" banter. :cheeky:

I like the idea of wedding band(s) with your ring...and I also wanted to say, "I like your ring. It is gorgeous!" to you. =)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I love the simplicity of your ring and your cushion is so beautiful in the solitaire setting. It faces up nice and big. But if you love the halos then go for it.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1334111452|3168134 said:
Honey, even when I think a ring is a nice size rarely do I comment on the size. Unless it's at a PS GTG. It's kinda impolite, in my opinion. So... maybe you should go with how you feel about your ring instead of other people's perceptions. Cause I gotta tell you, even if you had a halo-- I don't think you are going to get the "wow big!" comments you want. It's just not something people really say, outside of PS. I'd hate to see spend 5k on a reset only to be disappointed because the reactions of others spoil another ring for you. You really need to look to yourself for approval and not look to others reactions. That way lies madness.

Very well said Gypsy....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results