shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping spree: Mogok blue Sapphire?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant it when I put it up, eventually might make Nenya and Narya as well. Do you think it ugly or unsuitable?

Sorry!

I don't know what the original (fictional) one looks like but that is an inelegant rendition, imo. It looks cheaply made and very "prong-y." I think whatever stone you put in it will look kinda fake. Is it really Elven? I mean Elven-inspired? (The genuine Elven stuff must be pretty spendy...)

It looks more Dwarven (Dwarvish? Dwarfy?), tbh. Elven "stuff" is really Art Nouveau, at least the way Hollywood depicts it. And the architecture is like the ramparts of the Milan Cathedral. And I can't believe I am actually writing this, like "I wrote my thesis on Elven Design!" :P2 Mostly I think of ethereal Liv Tyler in LOTR and not chain-smoking Liv Tyler in Season 1 of The Leftovers.

I am a bit of a LOTR fan but not current -- read all the books decades (and decades) ago and my kids love the movies and re-watch on DVD whenever they are home to visit. I have seen all the movies but mostly in 30-min installments and I have to keep playing with the volume. :mrgreen2:

Maybe look at other Art Nouveau stuff for inspo? There are not that many rings but tons of gorgeous pins and pendants. I think rings did not provide enough real estate to show off the insect motifs and were not suitable for the fragile design elements. But there are a lot of cool, sinuous-looking rings that would be fun to wrap around a pretty sapphire.

Or, better, ignore me completely, block me, and make the ring you really, really love!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I meant it when I put it up, eventually might make Nenya and Narya as well. Do you think it ugly or unsuitable?

I think @LilAlex meant that the craft of the ring you put up is beyond atrocious (and ridiculously overpriced). Poor Elrond

If you like the theme (I do too), please get a serious jeweler that can do something nice and elegant. PS’er can surely recommend someone to work with :)

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I don't know what the original (fictional) one looks like but that is an inelegant rendition, imo. It looks cheaply made and very "prong-y." I think whatever stone you put in it will look kinda fake. Is it really Elven? I mean Elven-inspired? (The genuine Elven stuff must be pretty spendy...)

It looks more Dwarven (Dwarvish? Dwarfy?), tbh. Elven "stuff" is really Art Nouveau, at least the way Hollywood depicts it. And the architecture is like the ramparts of the Milan Cathedral. And I can't believe I am actually writing this, like "I wrote my thesis on Elven Design!" :P2 Mostly I think of ethereal Liv Tyler in LOTR and not chain-smoking Liv Tyler in Season 1 of The Leftovers.

I am a bit of a LOTR fan but not current -- read all the books decades (and decades) ago and my kids love the movies and re-watch on DVD whenever they are home to visit. I have seen all the movies but mostly in 30-min installments and I have to keep playing with the volume. :mrgreen2:

Maybe look at other Art Nouveau stuff for inspo? There are not that many rings but tons of gorgeous pins and pendants. I think rings did not provide enough real estate to show off the insect motifs and were not suitable for the fragile design elements. But there are a lot of cool, sinuous-looking rings that would be fun to wrap around a pretty sapphire.

Or, better, ignore me completely, block me, and make the ring you really, really love!

I think @LilAlex meant that the craft of the ring you put up is beyond atrocious (and ridiculously overpriced). Poor Elrond

If you like the theme (I do too), please get a serious jeweler that can do something nice and elegant. PS’er can surely recommend someone to work with

The other already-available option is the design used for the Peter Jackson movies, something like this:

Personally I don’t like the huge gap between the bezel and the edges of the ring, would’ve been nicer if they can narrow the band and have the stone take up more of the width of the band. Also bezel hides too much of the beauty of the stone, but perhaps less chaotic than the first vilya design from Badali. Perhaps give both photos to a top jeweller in Sydney and see what kind of design they can come up with? Never was going to ask whoever made the Badali rings to make mine, it is a rip-off! The movie version is definitely better for Nenya (Galadriel) design, Vilya (Elrond) and Narya (Gandalf) are a bit awkward in both movie and Badali versions.

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
As another LOTR fan here (is anybody surprised, really? It’s a trilogy about rings! ;-)) who wore a elven inspired silver circlet at my wedding, I love the idea of making this ring... And I think we are all on the same page here in wanting you to make a ring worthy of Elrond and that unheated perfect stone you bought.

The best way I think is to take the movie replica as a starting point but really collaborate with an artisan who specializes in fantasy fine jewelry and not be afraid to deviate from the film. Basically like getting a tattoo, you want that tattoo artist to make original art using their strengths.

I found two cool jewellers on Etsy. Never worked with them, but they appear to do a lot of varied and high value commission work ranging from anime to movies, which is a good sign to me.

GraceAlchemy: https://etsy.me/305a57M

MetalWendler: https://etsy.me/3GQn51R

As you are in Australia, a jeweler I heard many recommend is Alastair Kelsey, so I think you can check it out. I recall his work as modern and minimalist though, but perhaps he can work in a different style as needed.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
As another LOTR fan here (is anybody surprised, really? It’s a trilogy about rings! ;-)) who wore a elven inspired silver circlet at my wedding, I love the idea of making this ring... And I think we are all on the same page here in wanting you to make a ring worthy of Elrond and that unheated perfect stone you bought.

The best way I think is to take the movie replica as a starting point but really collaborate with an artisan who specializes in fantasy fine jewelry and not be afraid to deviate from the film. Basically like getting a tattoo, you want that tattoo artist to make original art using their strengths.

I found two cool jewellers on Etsy. Never worked with them, but they appear to do a lot of varied and high value commission work ranging from anime to movies, which is a good sign to me.

GraceAlchemy: https://etsy.me/305a57M

MetalWendler: https://etsy.me/3GQn51R

As you are in Australia, a jeweler I heard many recommend is Alastair Kelsey, so I think you can check it out. I recall his work as modern and minimalist though, but perhaps he can work in a different style as needed.

There are several top rated jewellers in Sydney I heard of but never used, such as Arman’s, Raffini, Larsen and Daniela; well they are jewellers with Google rating of perfect 5.0 with more than 200 votes. There’s another store that is apparently @Bron357 ’s jeweller that I used for minor repairs before and was happy. Wonder if Bron thinks this place is good fit for this idea or I can go knock on the door for one of the four above, starting from movie version as you say, consider some of the elements from Badali version like wind motif but let the designer go out of box for elven theme so as to speak!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I also wonder if anyone tried to recreate movie version Nenya with >14K white gold or platinum and diamond, the cage design is beautiful but obscures so much of the diamond and its sparkle. I guess Nenya will have to be done with cage working as sort of prongs for the diamond…

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have thought about creating my own ring of Barahir, which would mean more to me than Nenya, Vilya, or Narya. However, it's so complicated that it's still too daunting for me to start!

I'm thinking now about making my own designs for Narya, Nenya, and Vilya; they would all have to be sapphires! However, not anytime soon methinks. I have far too many stones and projects that need to be set before I begin even more projects.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Struggling to find good examples online but I think of something like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 12.04.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 12.04.13 AM.png
    792.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 12.03.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 12.03.39 AM.png
    779.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.54.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.54.25 PM.png
    823.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.53.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.53.25 PM.png
    814.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.51.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.51.55 PM.png
    677.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Okay, time for some first photos, sorry we had storms in Sydney this afternoon, hoping to take some natural sunlight photos later in the week. The initial impression is the sapphire is definitely cornflower/velvet blue rather than royal blue, which I’m glad about, and there is a white feather internally that you can see in certain angle when you look from 10cm but cannot see from usual viewing distance like 20-30cm. Pretty happy overall. 1E83E0F6-70CC-41EA-82ED-228483F76A38.jpeg 316F3294-BBAC-4FFD-BECB-6A8C55D9588A.jpeg F29E412B-1DAC-4498-85F9-A0B685093CC7.jpeg
With my heated Burmese ruby, not the best shot as it’s overcast…
A853023E-D595-42FB-A666-CB72ED41A12F.jpeg
The dark/semi-black opal, horrible shot, much more pretty in daylight.
A6956D97-8D44-42EF-89D7-CB0E92EF454F.jpeg
The opal came out somewhat better on this shot?
A5EA4999-1819-4A25-B038-F76CCFF6069E.jpeg
My acquisitions from this year plus the opal pair I got years back. Supposedly the pair is also dark opal but look distinctly different in tone from the new opal next to it, would it be fair to term both dark/semi-black, or what do you think?

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
New sapphire and opal by the side…
A484824B-F1EA-4863-9DD6-67025A489C87.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I will say that if you want elvish Etsy has a ton of designers that could bring what you want to life.
or maybe this designer

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several top rated jewellers in Sydney I heard of but never used, such as Arman’s, Raffini, Larsen and Daniela; well they are jewellers with Google rating of perfect 5.0 with more than 200 votes. There’s another store that is apparently @Bron357 ’s jeweller that I used for minor repairs before and was happy. Wonder if Bron thinks this place is good fit for this idea or I can go knock on the door for one of the four above, starting from movie version as you say, consider some of the elements from Badali version like wind motif but let the designer go out of box for elven theme so as to speak!

I really can’t fault Jarret Jewellers, they have done so much work for me, some very fiddly, and never said no! Their prices are also most reasonable in my opinion.
When you go to “fancy” jewellers there’s a $$$ premium, AND they can be snobby. Other jewellers have told me I can’t supply my own gems! I think they like to get the “value add $$$” from supplying the gem as well!
Jarrett have a new designer on staff now but I’m someone who has my own ideas and they have no problem either interpreting my design or implementing it.
Yay.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I really can’t fault Jarret Jewellers, they have done so much work for me, some very fiddly, and never said no! Their prices are also most reasonable in my opinion.
When you go to “fancy” jewellers there’s a $$$ premium, AND they can be snobby. Other jewellers have told me I can’t supply my own gems! I think they like to get the “value add $$$” from supplying the gem as well!
Jarrett have a new designer on staff now but I’m someone who has my own ideas and they have no problem either interpreting my design or implementing it.
Yay.

I didn’t mention the name in case you wanted it to be secret but glad they seem to be reasonable in pricing and openness to custom design idea. Hope you don’t mind me using them for my design works!! :)
Love how the first sapphire shot came out despite overcast environment so made avatar :p… fingers crossed it’s even more radiant in sunlight!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t mention the name in case you wanted it to be secret but glad they seem to be reasonable in pricing and openness to custom design idea. Hope you don’t mind me using them for my design works!! :)
Love how the first sapphire shot came out despite overcast environment so made avatar :p… fingers crossed it’s even more radiant in sunlight!!

Gracious no, no secrets from my PS pals!
A good jeweller is worth their weight in gold, literally, and over the decades both my mother and I have had some not so good experiences before finding Jarretts.
One must share such valuable and important information!
Otherwise you might end up with a snotty jeweller, like one that I will never visit again, who before I could say anything was telling me the semi Mount I was supplying was total crap and telling me my diamond was “rather yellow” and then quoting me $600 to set said “diamond” in the supplied setting.
It wasn’t a diamond, it was a Moissanite and Jarret did it for $80.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Okay some photos in sunlight, crazy blue sparkle, and where is that feather?!
4910CC8B-EF12-4310-9C20-2908748B2E6D.jpeg 379CD5FD-8F0E-452A-8BA8-6EE02823B0F6.jpeg
1CC6F482-B92C-42EF-B706-2A6643994548.jpeg

And some new photos inside:
E7F992CA-E06E-4B64-8A45-7BE89BD50A33.jpeg 193F2C07-22A4-4410-ADDF-25CE1D7CCB7D.jpeg A277D414-BC4F-4856-A198-574DB2CE66DA.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sydneyphoenix, I think the lens on your phone is dirty -- photos look very hazy. Not out of focus -- just hazy. If you have an eyeglass-cleaning cloth or other microfiber cloth, I would try to gently wipe it off.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Will have another go later…

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sydneyphoenix have you looked at the Natural Sapphire Company ?
I don’t know what price you paid for your beautiful Burmese sapphire but you might want to be sitting down ………
They have a 2.5 carat unheated Burmese, complete with nicks on some facets, for ……….
$38,000 Aust.
:eek2::oops2::eek2:

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
@Sydneyphoenix have you looked at the Natural Sapphire Company ?
I don’t know what price you paid for your beautiful Burmese sapphire but you might want to be sitting down ………
They have a 2.5 carat unheated Burmese, complete with nicks on some facets, for ……….
$38,000 Aust.
:eek2::oops2::eek2:

Yeah I know about them, not impressed by their stock except for some pads. I bought my 1.85ct with no retraction other than feather that is obvious only in some angles for $3480 AUD plus postage and certification…hopefully not a rip-off?

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Going to take the stone up for valuation today, let’s hope I didn’t get ripped off. Still in returns window though won’t return unless valuation comes back crazy low, only non-perfect feature about it that feather…

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Going to take the stone up for valuation today, let’s hope I didn’t get ripped off. Still in returns window though won’t return unless valuation comes back crazy low, only non-perfect feature about it that feather…

This is a fine unheated vivid blue sapphire. More expensive than yours but also of higher quality in my view. I say you paid an ok price but ultimately the real question is whether or not you like it. From your posts I get the feeling you are very insecure about your purchases, e.g. by referring to this forum as a shark pit and asking for reassurance on almost every purchase of yours. If you are not sure about quality and price of your prospective purchases, why don’t you try slowing things down a bit and ask for feedback before pressing the button? Truly believe you will benefit from it, and that’s this forum can help you. I can only imagine how stressful it must be to buy stones on impulse (no offense) and cross your fingers on whether or not you did the right thing :) buying fine stones is a patience game

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not sure why you need a valuation? They don’t really mean much except for insurance purposes at recommended retail price. In my experience It’s not a price you’d ever be able receive selling.
I have a recent valuation for my Sapphire ring, for $17,000, the price its worth is more like $5,000.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock

This is a fine unheated vivid blue sapphire. More expensive than yours but also of higher quality in my view. I say you paid an ok price but ultimately the real question is whether or not you like it. From your posts I get the feeling you are very insecure about your purchases, e.g. by referring to this forum as a shark pit and asking for reassurance on almost every purchase of yours. If you are not sure about quality and price of your prospective purchases, why don’t you try slowing things down a bit and ask for feedback before pressing the button? Truly believe you will benefit from it, and that’s this forum can help you. I can only imagine how stressful it must be to buy stones on impulse (no offense) and cross your fingers on whether or not you did the right thing :) buying fine stones is a patience game

No it’s my personality, expect the worst while doing all I can to increase the chance of best choice. I think I did okay with purchases this year, definitely happy with keepers of ruby and sapphire though obviously had to make compromises but informed decisions. The jade was a questionable call but I can probably still put it to use if I don’t get to get rid of it. Definitely will have to slow things down, out of budget for this year, only one or two purchases next year though probably higher stakes. Thank you for looking out for me!!
Not sure why you need a valuation? They don’t really mean much except for insurance purposes at recommended retail price. In my experience It’s not a price you’d ever be able receive selling.
I have a recent valuation for my Sapphire ring, for $17,000, the price its worth is more like $5,000.

More to ensure I didn’t do too badly. The valuation came at around 10K retail, doesn’t mean anything except that someone with some Gemological training agree it was not a complete rip-off and I definitely won’t be returning it. Glad you liked it too @Bron357 !!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Okay, first of all, disclaimer that I'm not thinking of buying this now...
But why is this >5ct sapphire so cheap in comparison? Not a bad clarity, but I see right side of the stone in default photo (especially in 4-5 o'clock orientation) is considerably lighter...colour zoning?

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Okay, time for some first photos, sorry we had storms in Sydney this afternoon, hoping to take some natural sunlight photos later in the week. The initial impression is the sapphire is definitely cornflower/velvet blue rather than royal blue, which I’m glad about, and there is a white feather internally that you can see in certain angle when you look from 10cm but cannot see from usual viewing distance like 20-30cm. Pretty happy overall. 1E83E0F6-70CC-41EA-82ED-228483F76A38.jpeg 316F3294-BBAC-4FFD-BECB-6A8C55D9588A.jpeg F29E412B-1DAC-4498-85F9-A0B685093CC7.jpeg
My acquisitions from this year plus the opal pair I got years back. Supposedly the pair is also dark opal but look distinctly different in tone from the new opal next to it, would it be fair to term both dark/semi-black, or what do you think?

Love your opal pair. :kiss2:

May I ask where you were able to procure them? Was it through MAYS?

cocotate

Rough_Rock

I envy you to be able to shop in person for Australian opals. I've been to all the high-end stores near me in the US and most of the Australian opals are meh and uninteresting with very high price tags, so much so that the more alluring lively pieces tend to use mostly Ethiopian opals, including those by Le Vian that won't use any Australian opals according to a rep of the company. I would like to visit Australia for opal shopping one day but most people who went there say it's just as hard to find nice opals at a deal, so I'm stuck to online shopping.

Are those pairs the same as what you've posted on the below thread? I just love them and would love to see and hear more about them.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I envy you to be able to shop in person for Australian opals. I've been to all the high-end stores near me in the US and most of the Australian opals are meh and uninteresting with very high price tags, so much so that the more alluring lively pieces tend to use mostly Ethiopian opals, including those by Le Vian that won't use any Australian opals according to a rep of the company. I would like to visit Australia for opal shopping one day but most people who went there say it's just as hard to find nice opals at a deal, so I'm stuck to online shopping.

Are those pairs the same as what you've posted on the below thread? I just love them and would love to see and hear more about them.

Yes they are. I bought them from a vendor at QVM Melbourne as I mentioned, must be more than 5 years ago now, for $580AUD or thereabouts. probably will make earrings out of them if I ever get around to it.

I don’t know if they count as black or semi-black opals, but am also salivating over this black opal beauty, seems to be a good deal. But won’t chase this stone specifically, too many other things in my bucket-list!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
$580AUD? That's so inexpensive. Could they be doublets? They have the look of translucent crystal opals sitting on darker bases but are gorgeously domed. If solid with natural darker potch underneath, I'll need to see the color underneath or the sides to tell what they are. You could probably judge better after seeing these videos. More photos, please!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results