shape
carat
color
clarity

Sholdt setting dilemma... Please help me choose!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, B - B - B !!!!!!

If I ever get any type of bezel, it will be that exact setting! It makes the diamond look huge -- Ahhh... it is so beautiful... :love: :love: :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elysian|1371057619|3464295 said:
sortmon|1371054895|3464249 said:
What's the price difference between A and B? If it's like $1000, that's $1000 that could go towards a nice wedding band (with diamonds). :)

Yes, for plat it's $1k difference for my stone size range. It's $1k extra I could use towards my center. I have a bangin' wedding band that I wouldn't ever replace for sentimental reasons. I do want to get an ACA Annette u-prong eternity as a RHR at some point. :))

Looking at the pics again I have to say my preference for A paired with that specific band is even stronger - I like how they're complete contrasts. I like B, too, and if you were going with a plain band I'd have voted for either, but with that specific band...

I just got an Annette w/ 15pointers as a RHR last month and I LOVE it!! So I think this is a fabulous idea :bigsmile:

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1371145911|3465102 said:
Elysian|1371099395|3464776 said:
Thanks for voting! The votes are pretty even between A and B.

Thinking aloud...I like the sleek minimalist feel of A. And B is so impressive on the finger in person. I think my pics of B weren't very flattering of the ring (nor my finger/hand) :rodent: . It turns out that the center on B is 2 ct (equiv) and my stone will be smaller at 1.5-1.7 range... it will definitely have a different *look*. The bezel on A was slightly thicker than on B, but both bezel thicknesses were equally engaging and aesthetic to my eye. B had more of a curve on the shoulders, Kalee said that it's due to the larger center size. I think if I went with B, it'd be more a stand alone... I may have to try these on again when I drop off my diamond next month.

And I didn't mention this earlier in the thread, but Kalee was and is fantastic to work with.

Good luck with your decision! One thing that I didn't like about channel set stones is the gunk from lotions and creams that can collect in the crevices. All this can obviously be solved with a good cleaning but I've always been very lazy about cleaning my jewelry. I'm pretty sure that the ring isn't drilled through so it'll be a bit harder to clean the back of the stones without an ultrasonic or something.

Lol, we think alike. I do worry about the possible gunkiness of the sides. But I never wear lotion, refuse to, never! I do wear hand sanitizer (toddler:)) so no lotion + hand sanitizer = very dry flakey hands, which is equally disgusting in the gunk department. Lol.
And no, I don't believe it is drilled through, I don't remember perforations back there. You bring up excellent points, sortmon. But B is so pretty when clean...

msop04 said:
OMG, B - B - B !!!!!!

If I ever get any type of bezel, it will be that exact setting! It makes the diamond look huge -- Ahhh... it is so beautiful... :love: :love: :love:

The center IS huge in B: it's 2 cts versus the estimated 1ct in A. I agree, Sholdt's semi-bezel designs make the center look positively large!
Thanks for your vote :))

FancyPantsSparkles said:
I vote for B...not a fan of C

Thanks for your vote :))

Yssie said:
Elysian|1371057619|3464295 said:
sortmon|1371054895|3464249 said:
What's the price difference between A and B? If it's like $1000, that's $1000 that could go towards a nice wedding band (with diamonds). :)

Yes, for plat it's $1k difference for my stone size range. It's $1k extra I could use towards my center. I have a bangin' wedding band that I wouldn't ever replace for sentimental reasons. I do want to get an ACA Annette u-prong eternity as a RHR at some point. :))

Looking at the pics again I have to say my preference for A paired with that specific band is even stronger - I like how they're complete contrasts. I like B, too, and if you were going with a plain band I'd have voted for either, but with that specific band...

I just got an Annette w/ 15pointers as a RHR last month and I LOVE it!! So I think this is a fabulous idea :bigsmile:

Thanks for taking another look, Yssie. You know I value your opinion esp with eyes that produced the fab trellis and 5-stone designs. I guess you've noticed that I've taken quite a mental journey in this settings dilemma. I'm glad I didn't post all of my considerations on PS, I was all over the map on this one, and not in a million years did I think I would end up with a bezel... a semi-bezel at that! The Annette looks amazing in photos, I'm going to take a look at your thread. :))

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for "B" as well. I think you mentioned that your diamond is an H (or above?), so I think it would look pretty set in the "B" setting. Let us know what you decide to go with!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am late to this one, but I love A with the diamond band the most!

kaaty

Rough_Rock
Vote for B :) semi-bezel w side stones

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I like A.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Roxy|1371170204|3465456 said:
I vote for "B" as well. I think you mentioned that your diamond is an H (or above?), so I think it would look pretty set in the "B" setting. Let us know what you decide to go with!

Thanks for voting! I am looking into buying an "I" color actually, graded by AGS so... maybe B is not an option anymore due to color difference. I wrote Kalee about possibly matching melee stone color to center, will let you guys know what she says. And I will certainly post my finished project!

diamondseeker2006 said:
I am late to this one, but I love A with the diamond band the most!

Thanks for voting, DS2006!

kaaty said:
Vote for B :) semi-bezel w side stones

Thanks, kaaty!

luvsdmb said:
I like A.

Thanks, luvsmb.

Votes for A and B are split. Didn't think it would be this even!

Since I am planning on upgrading again in 2016, do you all think it is worth spending the extra on platinum? Plat is my favorite metal, especially the alloy that Sholdt uses which is 90/10 iridium. My wedding band is 95/5 iridium and they seemed to match in the workshop lighting.

What typically happens to the setting once you upgrade your stone? Could it be altered to fit a larger stone? Is it typical to scrap the metal for credit? I really have no idea and have always wondered what happens to the abandoned settings... it's kind of sad to think about it like that, actually...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm alone in this. I really like C. Then A. I don't like B. The diamonds take away from the nice clean design for me.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I love option B!! That one definitely gets my vote.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Rhea|1371196542|3465645 said:
I think I'm alone in this. I really like C. Then A. I don't like B. The diamonds take away from the nice clean design for me.

C is definitely pretty, and much more so in person. Thanks for voting, Rhea. :)

stargurl78 said:
I love option B!! That one definitely gets my vote.

Thanks, stargurl78. :)

Regarding melee color, Kalee said that since the stones are so small I wouldn't notice the color difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results