shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping + Insurance Question - Forgive me if it is a repeat

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if this has been answered before. I am getting ready to wire money for a diamond to Good Old Gold. It is an L colored AVC. The diamond looks beautiful in the pictures and they are sending me a video of it today. If I like the video I plan to have the diamond shipped to me so my husband and I can see if we love the L color in person.

Worst case scenario - if I can't tolerate the L - does anyone know what I do to ship the diamond back to a vendor? Best case scenario - I love the diamond - now I would like to ship it to another vendor (namely Victor Canera) to have it set. What shipping method would be recommended for this?

Lastly, would it be better to have Good Old Gold ship the diamond to an appraiser, then have the appraiser ship it to Victor Canera if I love the diamond?

My insurance, USAA, does not cover loose diamonds. Do I need to obtain insurance on this diamond for when I receive it and it is in transit?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Re: Shipping + Insurance Question - Forgive me if it is a re

You should ask GOG for their exact return policy and procedures. Some vendors have a FedEx account with insurance that you can use to return items, and the cost of the return may be deducted from your balance. For other vendors, you may be responsible for returning the stone, in which case USPS Registered Mail with insurance is one option. The main thing is that you should ask the vendor before they ship you the stone so you understand how to proceed.

Here's a recent thread about shipping stones:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-ever-nervous-about-shipping-a-stone.164390/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-ever-nervous-about-shipping-a-stone.164390/[/URL]

There's several more if you use the search engine.

In addition, if you think you will want an appraiser to look at the stone before the deadline for returning the stone, it's good to have the appointment already booked. Highly skilled independent appraisers may book a few weeks in advance.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you pregcurious. I have searched the links and have gleaned some information about the procedure, but you are right, I need to get on the phone with Good Old Gold today regarding their policies. I didn't realize that about appraisers (booking far in advance that is), quite frankly I just moved to the middle of Alabama and I am not even sure where to begin to look for an appraiser here.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I second USPS registered mail with insurance.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

ask the vendor...they should be able to advise you.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

Just as a caveat... I would look at your diamond in all sorts of lighting and avoid wearing yellow or being in yellow rooms because that will give you a false sense of coloration in your diamond.

As far as loose stones: Jeweler's mutual covers loose stones (if you are setting it). You can easily get coverage and stop coverage as soon as you set your stone. I was advised of this by one of the vendors I was working with.

USPS registered mail is the safest way to send a loose stone, but be sure to do the "box within a box" method.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I'm not sure if appraisers in your area, but one place to start looking for one is at the AGS website (www.americangemsociety.org). The appraiser should be able to inspect the ring for you after the resize and comment on the quality of the workmanship.

On a tangent, here's a thread about Neil Beaty and AGS's highest certification for appraisers; there are only 13 ICGA appraisers. I don't think you necessarily have to go to an ICGA appraiser, but it's good to know that there are different levels of appraisers: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/congrats-to-neil-beaty-icga.50930/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/congrats-to-neil-beaty-icga.50930/[/URL]

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Moosemom did you end up loving it? Have you seen it yet?

moosemom

Shiny_Rock

Hi Dreamer. Things were suspended due to the hurricane for a few days. Then for some reason my bank would only let me wire 5K for each 24 hour period. I will be wiring the rest tomorrow. I can't wait to see it - I hope I love the color.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Any update moosemom?

moosemom

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for asking Dreamer. As a matter of fact I just posted in Show Me the Bling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results