shape
carat
color
clarity

Shh...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone prefer coloured stones over diamonds? I''ll ''fess up first.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why am I not surprised? Stoner! I'm not even that keen on coloured diamonds. I think the other gems do saturation better. Heresy, I know.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
hahaha!

Same here about colored diamonds--I look to other stones for certain hues.

...cause I am Stoner...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m confused. Am I Stoner too?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yah--you''re a stoner.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean to tell me that you're not sick of looking at carbon copies (literally because they are made of carbon) of 10,000 RBC ACA stones? Ha!! I hope no diamond mavens are reading this, I'll get whomped on the head. I did have a large white diamond once, I sold it. It bored me to tears.

I do love colored diamonds, even though the hues are not necessarily the best. The Hope Diamond has a grey mask to it for example. However, they do change color in different lighting situations, and have personality that I think colorless diamonds lack. Combine that with the amazing way they break up light, and it's really fascinating to stare at them.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 9:20:26 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
You mean to tell me that you''re not sick of looking at carbon copies (literally because they are made of carbon) of 10,000 RBC ACA stones? Ha!! I hope no diamond mavens are reading this, I''ll get whomped on the head. I did have a large white diamond once, I sold it. It bored me to tears.

I do love colored diamonds, even though the hues are not necessarily the best. The Hope Diamond has a grey mask to it for example. However, they do change color in different lighting situations, and have personality that I think colorless diamonds lack. Combine that with the amazing way they break up light, and it''s really fascinating to stare at them.
Good one!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH YEAH I DO.

Sorry. Just very enthusiastic about my disenchantment with diamonds...

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
No apologies, Freke!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
You mean to tell me that you''re not sick of looking at carbon copies (literally because they are made of carbon) of 10,000 RBC ACA stones? Ha!! I hope no diamond mavens are reading this, I''ll get whomped on the head. I did have a large white diamond once, I sold it. It bored me to tears.

We''ll fight them off!
rollpin.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I have to say my two favorite stones on earth are the Red Shield diamond, and the Dresden Green. But outside of those two astounding fancy colors, I have to say my favorite type of stone is alexandrite. If you have ever seen a fantastic alexandrite you know why. when clean, with vivid green to vivid reddish purple color change, decent clarity and cut, this is in my humble opinion the most stunning cut gemstone on earth. Very close second, as you may have noted from my other comments, are vivid red rubies. I''ve only just started collecting fancy diamonds as they are exhorbitantly priced now. If you can afford a natural fancy vivid of any color, it will stop your heart with it''s beauty, I promise.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally prefer gemstones over diamonds.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Count me in. I do not care for diamonds either
9.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....I like both equally, am I the outlier here??? But maybe that is because my biggest diamond is 1/3 ct. That whole wanting what you don''t have thing? Colored stones are more fun to shop for, and finding one I like gives me greater satisfaction. Once you figure out diamonds, it is not much of a challenge to find a nice one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 10:18:46 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Hmmm....I like both equally, am I the outlier here??? But maybe that is because my biggest diamond is 1/3 ct. That whole wanting what you don''t have thing? Colored stones are more fun to shop for, and finding one I like gives me greater satisfaction. Once you figure out diamonds, it is not much of a challenge to find a nice one.
True, because most diamonds in the white and off-white range, are "made to order." Go tell your jeweler you want a 2 carat E-SI2 in a round brilliant with excellent symmetry, and he will easily find one for you. Go tell your jeweler you want a Burmese sapphire cushion in a 2 carat size with fine cutting, and it''s like looking for a needle in a haystack. It cracks me up that most diamond vendor sites don''t even show a picture of the diamond but a GIA report instead. A GIA report will suffice because in reality, they all pretty much look the same (well at least to me).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....I like both equally, am I the outlier here???

Well, I like them equally as well.
4.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 10:33:58 PM
Author: Gypsy

Hmmm....I like both equally, am I the outlier here???

Well, I like them equally as well.
4.gif

Well, I have one set of diamonds and a few colored stones and they both have qualities I appreciate. When I am in a jewelry store, I probably spend equal time looking at both. I find that the diamonds with an interesting cut and the colored stones with a top color are always my favorite thing to look at.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 9:51:15 PM
Author: shaunrice
I have to say my two favorite stones on earth are the Red Shield diamond, and the Dresden Green. But outside of those two astounding fancy colors, I have to say my favorite type of stone is alexandrite. If you have ever seen a fantastic alexandrite you know why. when clean, with vivid green to vivid reddish purple color change, decent clarity and cut, this is in my humble opinion the most stunning cut gemstone on earth. Very close second, as you may have noted from my other comments, are vivid red rubies. I''ve only just started collecting fancy diamonds as they are exhorbitantly priced now. If you can afford a natural fancy vivid of any color, it will stop your heart with it''s beauty, I promise.

I actually just received (on loan) an alexandrite from my mom''s friend (I say on loan, because I''m taking it back to Chicago to have it reset for her), but i know very little about them, so I can''t tell how good this particular stone is. I do have a lot of fun playing with it in daylight though, with the color changes!

Ok, please don''t hurt me...but I do love diamonds. But I love colored stones too - and although I want a diamond as an e-ring, I would rather collect colored stones. Does that make me a bad colored stoner??

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think diamonds are pretty but they don''t make me giddy the way I get when I start going thru the threads here in the colored stone area. Ha, I don''t even HAVE any gemstones, so I just live vicariously thru you all!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 9:43:13 PM
Author: coatimundi

We''ll fight them off!
rollpin.gif
Yes. Don''t mess with the Stoners.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 10:45:08 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Does that make me a bad colored stoner??

Nah..
1.gif
I love diamonds too and have a few--I''m just more interested in colored stones.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 10:50:23 PM
Author: Harriet
Date: 1/4/2009 9:43:13 PM

Author: coatimundi

We''ll fight them off!

rollpin.gif
Yes. Don''t mess with the Stoners.

Yeah!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 10:45:08 PM

Date: 1/4/2009 9:51:15 PM
Author: shaunrice
I have to say my two favorite stones on earth are the Red Shield diamond, and the Dresden Green. But outside of those two astounding fancy colors, I have to say my favorite type of stone is alexandrite. If you have ever seen a fantastic alexandrite you know why. when clean, with vivid green to vivid reddish purple color change, decent clarity and cut, this is in my humble opinion the most stunning cut gemstone on earth. Very close second, as you may have noted from my other comments, are vivid red rubies. I've only just started collecting fancy diamonds as they are exhorbitantly priced now. If you can afford a natural fancy vivid of any color, it will stop your heart with it's beauty, I promise.

I actually just received (on loan) an alexandrite from my mom's friend (I say on loan, because I'm taking it back to Chicago to have it reset for her), but i know very little about them, so I can't tell how good this particular stone is. I do have a lot of fun playing with it in daylight though, with the color changes!

Ok, please don't hurt me...but I do love diamonds. But I love colored stones too - and although I want a diamond as an e-ring, I would rather collect colored stones. Does that make me a bad colored stoner??
No problem with loving diamonds at all. Many people love them, much to DeBeers' joy and happiness! I love diamonds as well, but only colored ones. If someone gave me a 20 carat white diamond, I would trade it in for a 1/2 carat vivid Dresden like green. I don't really care much for yellow diamonds either, but I'm not one for any yellow stone.

My mother, on the other hand, would take any diamond, sight unseen. She's just enamoured with them. Everyone has their own taste. My favorite gems aside from fine Muzo Columbian emeralds, which are rarer than rare, are neon tourmalines. I would give my right arm for the scissor cut one I posted in the colored gem eyecandy thread.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....I like both equally, am I the outlier here??? But maybe that is because my biggest diamond is 1/3 ct. That whole wanting what you don't have thing? Colored stones are more fun to shop for, and finding one I like gives me greater satisfaction. Once you figure out diamonds, it is not much of a challenge to find a nice one.
I take great pleasure in the hunt too.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Come on, diamonds are great...as accents for your colored stones
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 10:52:16 PM

No problem with loving diamonds at all. Many people love them, much to DeBeers'' joy and happiness! I love diamonds as well, but only colored ones. If someone gave me a 20 carat white diamond, I would trade it in for a 1/2 carat vivid Dresden like green. I don''t really care much for yellow diamonds either, but I''m not one for any yellow stone.

My mother, on the other hand, would take any diamond, sight unseen. She''s just enamoured with them. Everyone has their own taste. My favorite gems aside from fine Muzo Columbian emeralds, which are rarer than rare, are neon tourmalines. I would give my right arm for the scissor cut one I posted in the colored gem eyecandy thread.

Haha my mom''s the same, and I get a lot of my jewelry love and obsession from her. Honestly, she makes a natural pricescoper - so I''m glad that I can do colored stone projects for her.

I kind of see a big, well-cut diamond as a classic piece - one I would want for my ering forever and ever, but colored stones are my everyday, makes me happy to shop for them and look at them, and photograph them, things. I can''t even tell you how much fun I had this afternoon lining up my colored stone rings, then my loose stones, and taking tons of pictures. TL, you''re going to love that blue-green tourmaline when I post pics.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 11:07:56 PM

No problem with loving diamonds at all. Many people love them, much to DeBeers' joy and happiness! I love diamonds as well, but only colored ones. If someone gave me a 20 carat white diamond, I would trade it in for a 1/2 carat vivid Dresden like green. I don't really care much for yellow diamonds either, but I'm not one for any yellow stone.

My mother, on the other hand, would take any diamond, sight unseen. She's just enamoured with them. Everyone has their own taste. My favorite gems aside from fine Muzo Columbian emeralds, which are rarer than rare, are neon tourmalines. I would give my right arm for the scissor cut one I posted in the colored gem eyecandy thread.

Haha my mom's the same, and I get a lot of my jewelry love and obsession from her. Honestly, she makes a natural pricescoper - so I'm glad that I can do colored stone projects for her.

I kind of see a big, well-cut diamond as a classic piece - one I would want for my ering forever and ever, but colored stones are my everyday, makes me happy to shop for them and look at them, and photograph them, things. I can't even tell you how much fun I had this afternoon lining up my colored stone rings, then my loose stones, and taking tons of pictures. TL, you're going to love that blue-green tourmaline when I post pics.
I hate to say this, and I know the diamond mavens will kill me for this, but I wouldn't want a diamond e-ring because IMO (which doesn't mean much), I think it's a waste of money. I had a diamond e-ring, and I sold the stone, and put another one in there (a colored stone). I much rather have a fine sapphire e-ring.

Can't wait to see that tourmaline!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 11:07:56 PM

No problem with loving diamonds at all. Many people love them, much to DeBeers'' joy and happiness! I love diamonds as well, but only colored ones. If someone gave me a 20 carat white diamond, I would trade it in for a 1/2 carat vivid Dresden like green. I don''t really care much for yellow diamonds either, but I''m not one for any yellow stone.

My mother, on the other hand, would take any diamond, sight unseen. She''s just enamoured with them. Everyone has their own taste. My favorite gems aside from fine Muzo Columbian emeralds, which are rarer than rare, are neon tourmalines. I would give my right arm for the scissor cut one I posted in the colored gem eyecandy thread.

Haha my mom''s the same, and I get a lot of my jewelry love and obsession from her. Honestly, she makes a natural pricescoper - so I''m glad that I can do colored stone projects for her.

I kind of see a big, well-cut diamond as a classic piece - one I would want for my ering forever and ever, but colored stones are my everyday, makes me happy to shop for them and look at them, and photograph them, things. I can''t even tell you how much fun I had this afternoon lining up my colored stone rings, then my loose stones, and taking tons of pictures. TL, you''re going to love that blue-green tourmaline when I post pics.

That is exactly how I feel. I think that a positive quality of diamonds is they do well in multiple light settings. That is one reason I think it makes a great e-ring stone, and one of the reasons why I want a diamond as mine. I love my sapphire, but it dull and lifeless in a candle lit room. However, I think diamond ring, a set of earrings, and maybe a pendant would be all I want. I could never see myself collecting diamonds. They all look the same. Colored stones are so fun to collect. They are all an individual with a personality of their own. And it is nice to have multiple pieces of jewelry that you can switch up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think colorless diamonds do well because of the following reasons:

1) They''re very easy to come by
2) They''re very durable - hardest stuff on earth
3) They break up the light like no other gemstone
4) DeBeers, the greatest marketers in the history of the world, have devised a way to make everyone think they have to have one for an e-ring or it''s not worthy of being an e-ring.

A fine colored stone will do well in any light source. To me that''s the true testament of fine color in any gemstone. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford superfine colored gems.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results