shape
carat
color
clarity

Shared prong, pave, milgrain, filigree . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Hello! Newbie here with some q''s! Thinking of having a custom ring made in platinum. TIA for your help!

Shared prong vs. pave:
1) Which will hold the stones more securely?
2) Which will cost less to make?
3) Which is harder to make (just for my own personal curiosity).
4) Which will have more overall sparkle to the band? (not just the diamonds, but the ring itself).

If I go with shared prong, is it possible to have thin walls around the edges that will have milgrain (as seen on many channel-set bands)? I LOVE the look of milgrain!

Since I want platinum, and platinum gets that matte patina after a while (or so I''ve heard), will the milgraining eventually look dull and have to be re-polished? How about the band itself, how often will it need to be re-buffed to be shiny again?

How much extra will they charge to add filigree designs to the side of the ring? What is filigree (how is it done) anyway?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I have been wearing my platinum shared prong eternity band every day for at least eight years and it is still not dull. The stones are .28 each so it is fairly thick since the stones are large and there is quite a bit of exposed metal on the top and bottom of the setting.

I read somewhere that cast platinum or some other conditions make platinum more porous and subject to dulling but his has not happened with any of my rings.

I have never seen an eternity band with milgrain--I don't know what that is.

I suspect that a pave ring is harder to make because of all the small stones that have to be set but that a shared prong would cost more because you have to use larger stones and they cost much more per carat than the small ones usually used in pave.

I think the larger stones of the shared prong give off more sparkle but that is just my opinion.

laney

Brilliant_Rock

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all your help!!! I''m still stuck though, because I like the shared prong but I also like the milgrained edge you can get with pave or channel set.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results