shape
carat
color
clarity

Shared Prong or U Prong. Which is more durable?

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
I may have these terms mixed up, but that is why I'm here. I love the look of a u prong band (first picture) but I worry that it won't be durable enough, meaning, diamonds are more likely to fall out. I'm pretty rough on my hands/jewelry and I obviously don't want to lose stones. If the u prong is not durable, is there another setting with minimal metal that would be better? Shared prong perhaps? OR, is there such a thing as a u prong/shared prong hybrid? I'll include a pic of my dream band below (the u prong).

annettes-u-prong-eternity-diamond-wedding-ring-in-18k-white-gold_gi_5403-200_g.jpg

annettes-u-prong-eternity-diamond-wedding-ring-in-18k-white-gold_gi_5403-200_z.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really good question. I think I recall some people having some trouble with u-prong, but maybe they will see this thread and comment. I really don't recall problems with shared prong, although with those you often have to wear a plain (spacer) band between the engagement ring and the shared prong band so that the diamonds on the band don't cut into the prongs of the e-ring.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The images you're showing are of the same style of ring and, as far as I've ever seen, U prong settings are all shared prong settings, meaning that a prong is shared by a diamond on either side. The downside of these styles is that the prongs are required to grab the diamonds closer to the centerline of the ring than other styles. Since so much of each diamond is exposed on the sides the durability of the diamonds is, just by the nature of the ring, much lower than with more protected styles. I have seen a number come across my bench for repair and none were there to repair the metal parts of the rings. They were all there to replace diamonds that had been impacted by something during the course of wear. In asking clients about what caused the damage their responses were invariably things like clapping their hands together while wearing other rings, grabbing hard items like handles or banging them against filing cabinets, drawers, etc. These rings are beautiful, but only if you're going to sit around looking pretty while wearing them. If you are normally rough with things, then you may have some issues with stone durability.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your response! I was afraid that they might not be so durable...especially for me. I just haven't seen another shared prong setting that I like better than the one pictured. I'd like as much of the diamond visible, but still want it to be safe. Any suggestions?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sopranojla|1454418224|3985582 said:
I'd like as much of the diamond visible, but still want it to be safe. Any suggestions?
Those are two opposing requirements, unfortunately. Protecting the gem requires that it be covered at it's most vulnerable points, while making it visible requires it to be exposed. The only way to even partially get around this problem with this style of prong setting is to make the prongs a bit heavier so that they protrude past the edges of the diamonds on the sides. It would change the look, but could be done rather easily with CAD modeled piece. The very best way to protect the diamonds though is to be very careful ... remove the ring and store it when you are doing rough things, bring it out and wear it when you're doing more calm activities. I know it's hard, I have a sister who just blows stones right out of rings, diamonds, sapphires, it doesn't matter, she wears it and POW, they're gone. Funny thing is that she doesn't even know when she's done it. :wall:

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Thank you again for your help and lending your expert opinion. I think I'm opting for a more substantial setting such as this one just to be on the safe side!
As for your sister...I am just like her! Lol

_36324.jpg

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom recently had a beautiful 5 stone made with the baskets ever so slightly slightly larger than the girdles, which would provide some protection to the stones.

I'd consider a similar style of setting, and also consider a half instead of full eternity, if you're hard on your jewelry. And platinum instead of white gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results