shape
carat
color
clarity

Shape & Symmetry of Cushions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
It has been noted that cushions come in various cuts and styles, but I have also noticed that the actual shapes of the stones seem to exhibit some assymmetrical tendencies.

Sometimes the corner rounding and arc varies, or one side has a bit more curve than the other... Nonetheless, I have noted some of these shaping nuances are on stones that have still been graded with "good" and "very good" symmetry.

Is this "overall shape" symmetry considered to be secondary to facet alignment and facet symmetry?

I am assuming that since many of these slight shaper variances are hard to see in a mounted stone, that this is the case..?

Is this common in softer elongated shapes cushions and ovals, where the cutting and polishing does not conform to straight edges, or round shapes? I am coming to another conclusion is that a natural stone that is hand shaped is allowed to have some leeway in these shaping issues, and that facet alignment is more important when viewing a stone in a ring.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Of the stones you''re "considering" what is the symmetry grade reported ?

If the stone appears to your eye to have asymmetrical shape, the grading report should not say it''s excellent or very good.

This is where knowing what each facet angle is separates the wheat from the chaff.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results