shape
carat
color
clarity

Shameful plea for help - damsel in distress - can anyone here rescue me?

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm with you!! =)2 I'm going to repeat your quote to myself when I have doubts. Claudia "If you can't afford the professionals just keep saving up til you can."

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The remake turned out great! This style is meant to be a little rustic, and at a glance I would think it was mine. I'm glad the bench was able to do it right. (Why did they set him up for failure in the first place by not sending photos?! Weird.)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It's really not the same quality as yours, unfortunately, but it will have to do.

I won't go back to that jewellery shop again, mostly because the owner didn't seem to care and certainly didn't do Q.C. before the job went back to the customer! But the bench himself was very pleasant and seemed competent, and the clerks were also friendly and gentle. I'm glad it's over.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that looks a thousand times better and I’m glad you’re happier.
It’s unfortunate when communication breaks down or information isn’t shared, if the poor guy wasn’t even shown your inspiration photos no wonder you got what you did originally.
And you aren’t alone, I doubt that there anyone among us who hasn’t had a “jewellery disaster” and had to learn something the hard way.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! I sure learned a lesson. Looking forward to sharing my projects that are done by a real Pro. :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself!
I think it makes sense to use my local jeweler for more straight forward projects. My bangle for example, it's gold wire and 2 bezels! I don't feel like I need a DK level bench for that! And it turned out gorgeous.
We don't always know what's straight forward though, I wouldn't have thought this setting would be too complex for a local bench, looks relatively simple to me. But I'm not a metal smith or jeweler and really have no idea when something might look low key but actually take a lot of skill to do well (like micropave or really thin bezels).
Not everything needs an "uber bench" but sometimes it's hard to tell which project does and doesn't need it.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I've been staring at it for hours, and I think a stone of this size would have been better off with only six prongs instead of eight. I think that's why it looks too busy? At any rate if I decide to reset it again, it will go to DK.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice!! The best part is that he opened the lines of communication and you got much closer to your inspiration pic. Honestly, the biggest improvement is how he turned the “Mickey ears” into what just looks like part of the chain. Glad you got this improved version to wear!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I've been staring at it for hours, and I think a stone of this size would have been better off with only six prongs instead of eight. I think that's why it looks too busy? At any rate if I decide to reset it again, it will go to DK.

How big is the stone? Mine’s only about .60 ct, 5.6-5.7mm, but it also has 8 prongs. I think the prong seems on yours are longer and cover more of the diamond. Maybe they could be made smaller?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Ok there's an update. Honestly, I learned my lesson (don't try to go cheap, if you can't afford the professionals, just keep saving up til you can). However, after speaking directly to the bench jeweller, who told me he wasn't given pictures so he just took a wild guess, I explained directly to him all the details and sent photos with superimposed text reiterating all the details we discussed.... and...

He tried really hard to make good on it.

I picked up the necklace just now and I think it's a good effort, and while it's not DK-level quality work, it will do for this old beat up stone. Instead of worrying about it any more, I'll focus all my efforts at perfection onto my GIA VS2 instead of this chipped uncerted I3. That doesn't mean I haven't given myself a stern talking-to about being cheap, but I can live with this.

Meanwhile I really want to thank the PS community for being supportive when I obviously was foolish. It's not common online to find people who accept that other prosumers struggle and make mistakes. Thanks for being overwhelmingly kind hearted, everyone.

Meanwhile onto the photos.
BB3A9221-DC30-4C9C-97B4-5AB65A06F446.jpeg 681DB7C2-76CC-4DB6-BD2B-B26EFDA72283.jpeg C3711415-B265-4AB6-8DE2-4E6AEA65B4BD.jpeg

I’m so sorry to say this, but ever since I saw the original version and first heard the description “Mickey mouse ears,” I can’t unsee it.

While the new version really is nicer, leaps and bounds above the fist sloppy looking job, they still put the pendant’s connecting loops facing flat forward, leaving the ear effect.

Incidentally, I would never have noticed the Mickey Mouse ear thing if it wasn’t for the first, botched, job,

However, if I ever shop for a pendant, I’ll be looking for the connecting loops to be side-facing, so I will never see the Mickey Mouse ear effect again.

I’m sorry for not being more positive, but if it was me, I would not settle, even if it’s not your number 1 diamond. Also, I’m not sure if it’s just the photo or not, but it looks like the diamond is set in a black metal ... ? I really don’t like that.

I’m really sorry to say this, but I still think it’s ... well ... ugly .... to me ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I’m trying to be kind but I also have to be honest.

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
I think it looks great!
I’m so glad you’re happier!
I think the prongs and ears are probably much more subtle IRL.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks much better!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro, your comment is not only rude but insensitive and uncalled for and not at all in the spirit of PS. Really unnecessary to call someone's creation ugly, if you don't like what you see, keep it moving. Ugh.

Moving on....@InsecureSweetGirl I think it looks great, such an improvement over that first try. Wear it in good health and happiness.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro, your comment is not only rude but insensitive and uncalled for and not at all in the spirit of PS. Really unnecessary to call someone's creation ugly, if you don't like what you see, keep it moving. Ugh.

Moving on....@InsecureSweetGirl I think it looks great, such an improvement over that first try. Wear it in good health and happiness.

Between this and the buying your own engagement ring thread....I just don't understand the tone of the posts.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, oh I must have missed that gem. Seriously though that just burned me up, why would you take the time to post something so absolutely horrible on someone's post?? I don't understand that.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
How big is the stone? Mine’s only about .60 ct, 5.6-5.7mm, but it also has 8 prongs. I think the prong seems on yours are longer and cover more of the diamond. Maybe they could be made smaller?
The prongs aren't great, really. Maybe they're too long, but I'd rather take my steel files to the pendant than take it back to the jeweller. The edge of the bezel where it meets the stone is really rough and I'm ok with that because it seems to add to the 'old' look. I mean, I hope it does.

I wish I had asked that they weigh the stone before it was mounted. It seems odd to me that a jeweller wouldn't do that just as a matter of habit, but since I didn't say anything, I certainly can't blame them for that. It was bought as a .90 with an average 5.8mm, but the original seller wasn't very honest about the clarity, so who knows? Someday I'll have it weighed.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs aren't great, really. Maybe they're too long, but I'd rather take my steel files to the pendant than take it back to the jeweller. The edge of the bezel where it meets the stone is really rough and I'm ok with that because it seems to add to the 'old' look. I mean, I hope it does.

I wish I had asked that they weigh the stone before it was mounted. It seems odd to me that a jeweller wouldn't do that just as a matter of habit, but since I didn't say anything, I certainly can't blame them for that. It was bought as a .90 with an average 5.8mm, but the original seller wasn't very honest about the clarity, so who knows? Someday I'll have it weighed.

I could totally understand why you’d be hesitant to go back when they messed up so badly the first time. Regardless, I hope it grows on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results