shape
carat
color
clarity

Shameful plea for help - damsel in distress - can anyone here rescue me?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Long post. Sorry. Where to start?

OWD collet.jpg

So, I don’t want to post her photos without JPie’s permission, so here’s her thread with lots of pictures: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georgian-omc-in-collet-setting-with-gold-chain.238896/

I'd fallen in love with JPie’s necklace and wanted one just like it, and I had a stone that would be perfect for it. Yay!

But I had one project already started that was stretching my wallet, and was nervous about cost for this second one. Unfortunately, I tried to save money by routing the big expensive, aspirational, nail-bitingly-perfectionist project to a PS-recommended vendor, and the simple hand-cut silver one (well, I thought it was simple and hand-cut) to a local jeweller.

Bad decision.

We all make mistakes, and boy did I make one. In fact, I feel like such an idiot that I almost didn’t write this post, out of shame. The reason I’m confessing instead of pretending this never happened is that I’m trying to salvage the situation if possible, with PS help.

Despite the fact that there are actual youtube videos teaching people how to make a collet setting, and it’s generally considered beginner-level skill, I should have known it was too much to ask of my local. I should have shipped my ring off to the same big-city vendor who is about to get the other diamonds. But the local guy said, sure no problem we can do it, it will take 1 1/2 hours of bench time with the graduate gemologist on staff. That’ll be $300 plus costs.

Ok. Gulp. Fast forward a week, and I was excited to get the call that it was ready. Yay!

Then I saw it.
unnamed.jpg
IMG_3939.jpeg

The pendant was an unfunny joke. It looked literally nothing like the photos. For starters, they over-torched and fused the delicate links of my vintage chain and attached mickey mouse ears to it for some reason (can’t be restored back, now scrap). When I objected they said “well that’s the way it’s done.” I asked why they could not have contacted me first, after all, if the chain I brought in was not going to work, I could bring in a different one that would!

Awkward silence ensued. I referred the jeweller to the pictures, and showed him that it wasn’t even close.

By then, I was actually having trouble holding the necklace because my hands were shaking a little bit. The chain was the least of my worries at that point. The collet itself was given a pair of mickey mouse ears, too, and I was stunned. There weren’t any ears called for at all in this job, and he put in FOUR of them. Why?!

I had, of course, pre-paid. Like an idiot. After some minutes of looking at the original photos and looking back at the pendant in front of me, I needed to leave. I told the jeweller I wasn’t happy and it wasn’t what I specified, so I would take it home over the weekend and bring it back monday.

Mistakes happen. People get things wrong. Fair enough.

All the same, I’m gutted.

I emailed him as soon as I got home. I told him that I wasn’t happy and that the pendant looked nothing like any of the six (SIX!!) photos I gave him when I put in the order.

To his credit, he admitted he had “missed the mark” (to use his words) and offered to redo the job. I’m already in for more than $300, and still upset, but I’m willing to give him a chance to make things right, as long as I can give him a CAD so there’s no excuse for failure.

Now that my full Mea Culpa is public, can anyone take pity on me with even the quickest CAD for him?

Thank you for being gentle with your replies. I know I’m ridiculous and I’m just trying to dig myself out. If he doesn’t get it right on the second try, I will ask for a refund and send the stone to the big-city jeweller and move on. But I’ve made mistakes before and been given second chances myself, and I worked really hard to make people happy. Hopefully he will do exactly that.

On the bright side, I'm losing weight because who can eat at a time like this.
(Sigh.)

Attachments

• collet.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 86

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry this didn't work out for you and I can certainly understand the knot in the stomach over it.

I honestly would try to get my money back and start again if the jeweler is agreeable. Hopefully you had some sort of written contract or whatever to back up what you wanted vs. what you got. I just don't think the skill level is there to make a piece that you would love. Even from the side, it is not refined and uniform. He didn't just miss the mark - he botched the whole thing up.

Please don't feel embarrassed - we've all had days with bad jewelry. While $300 is nothing to sneeze at, it is recoverable with time. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted. I feel badly for you!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry this didn't work out for you and I can certainly understand the knot in the stomach over it.

I honestly would try to get my money back and start again if the jeweler is agreeable. Hopefully you had some sort of written contract or whatever to back up what you wanted vs. what you got. I just don't think the skill level is there to make a piece that you would love. Even from the side, it is not refined and uniform. He didn't just miss the mark - he botched the whole thing up.

Please don't feel embarrassed - we've all had days with bad jewelry. While $300 is nothing to sneeze at, it is recoverable with time. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted. I feel badly for you!
Thank you for your kind words - I've been kicking myself all weekend. I'll definitely keep you posted.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oof I’m so sorry.
I am actually going to ask my local jeweler to make me a collete ring. Now I’m thinking maybe I should insist on a CAD..

I hope things get resolved second time around!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Mickey and that’s the first thing I saw. :lol:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie I wish it had been good news. :cry2:

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to see this! They really messed it up. I agree with MissGotRocks; it’d be ideal if you could get a refund and start over. Is DK making your ring? I’d suggest getting a quote from him. He’s very reasonable and it might not cost much more than the local jeweler.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I’m sorry. Your post is really appreciated though. I have two questions - one, would you feel more comfortable getting your $ back and using a bench you feel more comfortable with? And two, have you louped your diamond? The photo of the girdle looks a little roughed up - it probably is just the photo but to be safe I’d take a look.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And I don’t mean to make you worry...I’d just feel bad if I didn’t say something about checking your stone before you move on!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think collet settings are simple, and I don't think they are done with CAD technology.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
And I don’t mean to make you worry...I’d just feel bad if I didn’t say something about checking your stone before you move on!
No worries and I do appreciate that comment. This particular stone was already chipped and I definitely recognize it as my stone. I knew it was too fragile to stay as a ring so that’s why I looked for a pendant style. I don’t see any additional damage from the jeweller.... omg I would lose my mind if that were the case.

I wish I’d just left the ring in it’s box and waited until I could afford to send it to the experts. I got impatient and I just feel a little incomplete when it’s not with me. I’m sure other people feel the same about their favorite stone!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good, glad to hear stone is not damaged. Don’t be too hard on yourself. I’d ask for my money back. And then use someone trustworthy. So sorry. It does kinda look like the Cadbury though!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear.
Having had jewellery made / re modeled, I know how this can happen.
You provide a photo/ many photos. You see a multi prongs Georgian style collet setting with a concealed connection to the chain and he sees a diamond in a prong setting soldered to a chain.
Same concept, big difference in interpretation.
Not all jewellers are created equal.
Some spend their time doing modest repairs, setting gems into pre cast settings with modest equipment because that’s all they need for the more basic work, others have extensive design experience, use CAD, provide wax models, can hand cast jewellery and have sophisticated (and expensive) equipment.
That’s often the difference between the $300 quote from the local jeweller and the $1,000 quote from the designer jeweller.
It’s an unpleasant and expensive learning experience unfortunately.
Put this one down to experience, ask for a refund because it’s unlikely he has experience or correct equipment to excute your design correctly (ie he has a butane jeweller torch, seamless soldering requires a laser).
And start over with a more experienced designer jeweller who can interpret your design correctly and execute it beautifully.

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry that you’re very understandably disappointed.
I had a bad experience with a local jeweller with setting a stone in an antique mount too. I’ve learned that I really need to make sure that they know how to work with antique styles beforehand. Most jewellers just simply don’t know how to do it.

If I were you, I’d definitely get a refund and start over with someone else. I wouldn’t trust the jeweller to be able to set it correctly even with a perfectly made setting.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

RichardS_VA

Rough_Rock
... ask for a refund because it’s unlikely he has experience or correct equipment to excute your design correctly (ie he has a butane jeweller torch, seamless soldering requires a laser).

And start over with a more experienced designer jeweller who can interpret your design correctly and execute it beautifully.

^ this.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree but just because I’m arguementative, I would not find it intuitive to think a jeweler would need fancy equipment for a Georgian recreation. I would imagine in this specific case it’s more a matter of skill and experience with antique techniques than high end equipment.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Oh gosh. So sorry to hear that it didnt turn out...

I know it’s hard, but try not to perseverate too much on your particular role in this whole thing. Your only mistake was to trust someone who oversold their level of skill and expertise. It’s an honest mistake, and one that all of us have probably made at some point or another...

I say you cut your losses short and ask for a refund. Even if you compromise and agree to at least a partial refund, take it and run, far, far away. If he was unable to execute adequately the first time around, he’s unlikely to do much better the second time around.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry this didn't work out the way that you hoped. I would probably cut my losses and get a refund, I just don't think you and this jeweler share the same vision, they obviously didn't get the vision so better to work with someone that does.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry that happened to you!

I’m with the rest here ... that jeweller did a horrible job ... that thing isn’t just not what you wanted, it’s a mess! Sorry - my opinion, lol. I think it shows an extremely low skill level ... I don’t think it’s even reasonable to expect him to do a good job ever after seeing that.

I hope you do not give this jeweler another chance and save yourself a lot more time and aggravation - even if you don’t get a refund; hopefully, you do.

Good luck!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Aww you poor friggin' thing!
The "recreation" looks nothing like the original necklace :(
In fact I think a stock $6.99 set-it-yourself sterling silver pendant might do your beautiful diamond more justice.
It just has zero elegance or refinement.
I second everyone who thinks that you should be cutting your losses and getting your dream pendant from a more competent jeweler.
I really hope I get to see a beautiful finish to this story!​

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. I’m going to take it back today and have the stone uncounted while I wait. Once the stone is out, I will be able to breathe again. Hopefully the jeweller will give me a refund or a credit. I’ll update this thread when I get back home.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man, if I were you I would be feeling exactly the same way! But I would also remind myself, that as far as life lessons go, this one is pretty “cheap”. It doesn’t involve health or six figures, know what I mean? It super sucks but you have learned from it and you’ll bounce back!<3

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Holy moly. I'm so sorry you had this experience!. Don't beat yourself up. I am team "CUT YOUR LOSSES" all. the. way. Mistakes happen. Lesson learned. Move on and don't look back. You will be happier in the long run. Then come back and share the beautiful collet you had expertly done by someone you do trust.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had this happen to me twice, once with a trusted vendor. My go to now for a quick setting job is a Stuller setting and fingers crossed that the local bench can handle it.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Ok there's an update. Honestly, I learned my lesson (don't try to go cheap, if you can't afford the professionals, just keep saving up til you can). However, after speaking directly to the bench jeweller, who told me he wasn't given pictures so he just took a wild guess, I explained directly to him all the details and sent photos with superimposed text reiterating all the details we discussed.... and...

He tried really hard to make good on it.

I picked up the necklace just now and I think it's a good effort, and while it's not DK-level quality work, it will do for this old beat up stone. Instead of worrying about it any more, I'll focus all my efforts at perfection onto my GIA VS2 instead of this chipped uncerted I3. That doesn't mean I haven't given myself a stern talking-to about being cheap, but I can live with this.

Meanwhile I really want to thank the PS community for being supportive when I obviously was foolish. It's not common online to find people who accept that other prosumers struggle and make mistakes. Thanks for being overwhelmingly kind hearted, everyone.

Meanwhile onto the photos.
BB3A9221-DC30-4C9C-97B4-5AB65A06F446.jpeg 681DB7C2-76CC-4DB6-BD2B-B26EFDA72283.jpeg C3711415-B265-4AB6-8DE2-4E6AEA65B4BD.jpeg

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I had something similar happen to me because I too was trying to be cheap. I feel your pain. The necklace looks lovely now.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. No more cheap-cheaping-cheapiness for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results