shape
carat
color
clarity

Shallow Cut Pear

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

locke

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m in the market for a colorless, good quality pear shaped diamond. I came across this on my B&M search:

Carat: 0.90
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Measurements: 8.21*5.68*2.68
Depth %: 47.2 (!)
Table %: 62
Girdle: Medium to Very Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

My concern is the depth - I''ve never seen anything that shallow before. Is the effect of a shallow pear the same as a round, i.e. light escapes through the bottom? How concerned should I be about the depth? BTW the asking price is $4460 - high I know but I''m not going to negotiate price until I find out exactly what I want.

Thanks in advance.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Light doesn''t escape through the bottom in a shallow round. It gets directed back toward the viewer in such a way that it looks dark.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
47% is just waaay too shallow. You could probably get away with a stone with about 59% depth if the other numbers are in order...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need to be careful that thing doesn''t have a honkin bowtie.

locke

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. I just haven''t been able to find the perfect stone at B&M stores. This is frustrating.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps you should contact a few of the reputable online vendors, tell them what you want and your budget, and set them out looking for you.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 5:54:03 PM
Author: JulieN

Light doesn''t escape through the bottom in a shallow round. It gets directed back toward the viewer in such a way that it looks dark.

Light does escape through the pavilion on many stones. Even on the exceptionally well cut ones there is some light coming out the pavillion.

In pear shapes the mains return most of the light - but they do leak from the tops and bottoms, especially on shallow ones.

Rockdoc

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you set on buying from a local B&M? You can save money and probably get a better stone and service possibly by checking out Jamesallen.com, Whiteflash.com, goodoldgold.com, engagementringsdirect.com, pearlmans, etc...they are all great and could easily find you a nice pear.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/15/2007 5:50:45 PM
Author:locke
Hi all,

I''m in the market for a colorless, good quality pear shaped diamond. I came across this on my B&M search:

My concern is the depth - I''ve never seen anything that shallow before. Is the effect of a shallow pear the same as a round, i.e. light escapes through the bottom? How concerned should I be about the depth? BTW the asking price is $4460 - high I know but I''m not going to negotiate price until I find out exactly what I want.

Thanks in advance.
It is shallow, but you need to visualize it with your eyes..., you might find it pleasing!!!
I have seen some wonderfull shallow fancy-cuts...

I dont like the V. thick girdle on such a shallow stone!!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 11:16:04 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 3/15/2007 5:50:45 PM
Author:locke
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
It is shallow, but you need to visualize it with your eyes..., you might find it pleasing!!!
I have seen some wonderfull shallow fancy-cuts...

I dont like the V. thick girdle on such a shallow stone!!!

Hi Dia Gem

I would generally agree, but possibly acceptable if it is only at the tip. Might even be necessary if the crown angle there is shallow too. I think some depends on the length of the table, where the tip of the table may be closer or farther away from the tip at the edge of the stone. I would surmise that if the length of the table is further from the edge of the tip, the crown angle in that section COULD be very, very shallow which leaving the girdle V thick there would probably be a "good thing"?

If the girdle is V thick all around I wholeheartedly agree with the above. Unfortunately, on a GIA report you don''t know how of the much girdle profile is thin or thick.

I guess it''s wishful thinking on my part that they would put the percentage of the area that is thin, medium, thick or whatever on the report.

Mine have it shown graphically.

Rockdoc

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen that pear in person? How does it look to you?

My pear has a 50% depth, and it''s absolutely beautiful. No bowtie at all.

Here''s the thread w/ pictures: Pear ring

locke

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 1:49:25 AM
Author: kcoursolle
Are you set on buying from a local B&M? You can save money and probably get a better stone and service possibly by checking out Jamesallen.com, Whiteflash.com, goodoldgold.com, engagementringsdirect.com, pearlmans, etc...they are all great and could easily find you a nice pear.
I am looking online as well, yes, but since I work about 2 blocks from Jewelers'' Row in Philly I thought I should take advantage of the ability to see a variety of things in person. I have several stores looking for diamonds with my specs in mind. However since I''m not a diamond expert it''s hard for me to tell the difference between say a 53% table and a 60% table. So, I''m stuck looking at stats from the AGA tables to tell me whether a diamond is well cut rather than deciding that myself. With that in mind, perhaps it''s better for me to just buy online since I can''t tell subtle differences in person. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results