shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been browsing settings *again* and was wondering what you guys think of these 3. 2 are from James Allen and the 3rd is from Excel. I have no clue how everyone else can do the short little links that open the new window up, sorry! I''m a bit challenged in the computer department.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/1.8-2.1mm-Timeless-Ring.html

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/ring/item_57-2647.asp

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Da-Vinci-Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Ring-J6061-1354.html

The one from Excel looks similar to a ring from Bailey Banks and Biddle I''d seen a picture of on here and liked a lot.

This is what I''m thinking of for a wedding band.
http://www.celtic-weddingrings.com/Celtic-Wedding-Rings/Infinity-Band-P9.html

Now for the endless questions. The set I currently have is white gold. I''d like to do this set in yellow gold. Do you think the Excel setting would look ok in yellow? Could it be done with 6 prongs or would that not look right? For all 3, could they be done with claw prongs instead of what they currently are shown with? Does anyone have an idea about which ring would look better w/that twisted band? I''d like to do an OEC, and am figuring if I spend less on the setting I can use more for the stone.

Thanks for your help!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 6:16:14 PM
Author: Tuckins1
Link 3

I hyperlinked all of your links for you- I think I like #1 the best!

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like number 1. I love it''s fluid and unique prongs. It''s a timeless look that you would love forever!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
#1 is my favorite by a long shot. The 2nd one does not appeal to me at all and the 3rd appears to be a bit bulky.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 6:20:33 PM
Author: akmiss
#1 is my favorite by a long shot. The 2nd one does not appeal to me at all and the 3rd appears to be a bit bulky.
Ditto, verbatim.

Are you taking suggestions?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 for me too. Are you sure you dont want a setting where the wedding band can sit a little closer? That would have to be a setting where the
stone sets up higher.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Loving numero uno.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely like #1 the best, as well. The detail around the basket that holds the diamond kinda remids me of the wedding band you like.

BTW...look for this button/icon - this is how you make a link that is clickable:

hyperlink button jpg 123.jpg

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 7:18:43 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 3/29/2009 6:20:33 PM
Author: akmiss
Ditto, verbatim.
My thoughts, too.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh thanks so much Tuckins for linking those for me! Sure Gypsy, I''m up for suggestions! TyTy, will the band sit pretty far away from the ering itself? A bit of a gap wouldn''t bother me I don''t think, so long as it''s not too much.

Thanks for your help so far guys! I''m open to anything!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo gold star for Gypsy!! How do I find out the prices on them? Can they be modified at all, like doing claw prongs instead and yellow gold rather than white? Not that I guess it matters b/c I''d be happy w/them how they are! I''m so glad I asked for help instead of trying to muddle thru it myself!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I *think* that yes, you can get them in yellow gold. And that getting the prongs finished into claws is something a PS jeweler who has done that before can do for you. I used to have a Unique Setting (my original setting for my diamond), my jeweler ordered it in, his bench finished it, and set the stone in it and finished the prongs. The settings I have seen by this company tend toward bulkier prongs, but a good jewelers bench can slim them down for you and finish them into curved points (claw prongs). I would confirm all of this with any jeweler you order through though, and get your requests in writing (email). As for prices... just email the jeweler the link and ask if they can get it in, and for a qoute in specifying the metal you want (14K or 18k yellow) and the size of your center. Unique Settings has a Tiffany Jazz replica I was interested in for the diamonds in my seven stone ring and I sent an email Lesley at Brian Gavin Diamonds and she got back to me with a qoute a day or so later. Very easy.

2.gif
Can't wait to see the finished product!
35.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehehe I just browsed thru the solitaires there and the 3 I clicked on to look at closer ended up being the 3 you posted! I did see on their About Us page that all settings are available in all metals, so that''s cool! Of those you mentioned above (Excel, Wink, WF, etc) would you or anyone recommend any place specific? I''ve heard (well, read) great things about all of them since I''ve been here. Can you still get a quote if you don''t have a center yet? I know we won''t be able to afford a very big one..1/2 to .75 I''m guessing.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Wow I love the settings gypsy found
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now I''m leaning towards #3 b/c of the 6 prongs and I like the little heart that Gypsy pointed out-it''s so cute! But then I like #2 a lot as well!

Does anyone have a recommendation on who to ask for a quote? And do I have to have a center first? I hate to even bother them when I don''t have the money all set aside to do anything yet! But I''d kind of like a ballpark to have something to go by I guess. Is that ok or do they frown upon that?

As far as gold goes, is 18k better than 14k?

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I still think the No.1 Timeless setting from James allen rocks!
32.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:25:04 AM
Author: packrat
Hehehe I just browsed thru the solitaires there and the 3 I clicked on to look at closer ended up being the 3 you posted! I did see on their About Us page that all settings are available in all metals, so that's cool! Of those you mentioned above (Excel, Wink, WF, etc) would you or anyone recommend any place specific? I've heard (well, read) great things about all of them since I've been here. Can you still get a quote if you don't have a center yet? I know we won't be able to afford a very big one..1/2 to .75 I'm guessing.
I think they still can give you a qoute. They will likely just give you two... one for a .5 carat center, and another for a .75 carat center.

I haven't worked with excel, but from some of their pictures I have seen some finish flaws that I personally don't care for. I haven't worked with WF but I have seen their work both in person and in magnified pics and the finish details are nice and they are good about fixing issues. I am working with Brian Gavin, and I have seen pics of their completed work (their blog) and as they used to basically run whiteflash I personally have no concerns with either finish details or with customer service. I have worked with Wink on a couple of projects, and he has great customer service and a good bench so I wouldn't have concern working with him either.

I personally would work with BGD or Wink. But that's because I have worked (am working with them) I know what working with them is like, and I know they really 'get' pricescoper OCD issues regarding finish details. Pearlmans (whom I've also worked with) gets it too, but they don't tend to do this kind of stuff as much.

As for bugging them. I bug them all the time. Seriously. Wink has qouted half moon settings for colored stones centers for me (when I didn't even know what stone I wanted) Leslie just qouted me on some earrings I probably won't be able to buy for another 6 months or more (I wanted a ballpark so I knew what to save toward), and she qouted me for that semimount for my 7 stone I don't think I'm doing anytime soon (will just live with the currently scratchy setting). I've bugged all of the vendors, ERD, GOG, etc. And no they don't mind. The way I figure it, they chat with you, give you a qoute and get to demonstrate their customer service and then you get a sense of whether or not there is a 'click'... that 'click' for me is important. It determines if I am going to use them for current projects, and also establishes a relationship for future projects. I've got pearlmans on speed dial. LOL.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! I''ll check w/JA about #1 Timeless b/c that''s my favorite of that group, and either Wink or BGD on #3 from the Gypsy group! Oh this is so fun!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like that timeless! I would like to see "real" pics of it. If JA sends you any, can you post them, or send to mods and ask them to post them?

I can''t wait to see what you end up with!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Someone posted pics of the timeless setting in SMTR a while back...I''ll try to find them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What was quick! Good call shimmer. I guess the owner didn''t love it, but except for the polishing issues (which would bug me too) I liked it! The hexagonal thing was actually really cool. And I honestly think I''d prefer it in the yellow gold because it would bring out the detail more. But it has more substantial than I thought from the JA pics, which was my concern, and I think that with a little more polishing and maybe some slimmer prong tips it would have been lovely!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gypsy, I agree. I think I''ve been spoiled by WF''s work but when I see the JA settings they just seem ever so slightly unfinished.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You bet I''ll post any pictures I''m sent! I''ve had the 2 pages up, flipping between them, trying to decide which one I like best. I wish I could see them in person and try them on first, but oh well! I liked the hexagon look on the Timeless in that link (thanks for posting that Shimmer!)too-I thought it was cool and gave it a different touch. That''s one of the reasons I wanted 6 prongs-it''s just different than what most women have around here, and they both have a little something extra in the profile.

Do they do the prongs in yellow gold too, or do they do them in white? Or is that something you maybe have to specify which you want? Oh, I have another question too-I''ve been loving the old cuts posted here in the lower colors. If the ring is yellow gold, would that be too much? I just got to thinking that it seems like most of the lower colors I''ve seen have been in white gold, and now I''m wondering if doing yellow would be a mistake?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite look is unplated white gold, Like Coati's, with warmer stones. I like yellow gold, and depending on the stone's color it will enhance the yellow, and I like pure white, which provides contrast to the tint.

It's up to you ultimately. I can only speak for myself and say that when I do get an older cutin a warm color, I will probably do unplated whitegold.

Honestly, I haven't seen that many JA settings, and never seen any in real life. So... hard for me to generalize. But that one certainly did have an issue with the finish. If I were dealing with JA I would ask for Jim's oversight, even if it was a $400 purchase. I think some of their sales people are newer and in training and that they are still getting used to the level of detail PSers expect. I'm sure JA can do it though, I would just be more ... hands on and be careful to articulate my expectations more with them. With Wink, I deal with Wink directly and with BGD I deal with Lesley and Brian jointly and both companies have been very 'low maintenance' as far as efforts from my side. Both Brian and Wink have called me, or emailed me with any concern, question or confirmation they have needed. And whenever I have one, it's always addressed immediately.

If you look at my setting threads you will see that I did have a couple of issues crop up in the process and man Wink was on that ball every time. I never had to ASK him how he was going to handle anything. He had a resolution ready to go for me. I love that kind of service. Wink's spoiled me, admittedly. And now BGD is also doing it.

Can't complain though. If you have an addiction... it should be fun, right!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results