shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting width as % of round diamond

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock
I have done quite a bit of poking around, but have not seen this addressed, so I figured I'd post.

Really enjoy the site and it has helped me a lot in the process.

I have a round 1.19c diamond picked out (6.79 x 6.82mm).

I'm doing this over the internet and i THINK i have a setting picked out.

Setting is 3mm wide at the top, with 7 three pointers on each side of the center stone.

QUESTION:

Setting width / center stone width is 44.11%

Do you guys and gals think that this band is going to be too chuncky for my diamond?

44% looks about like the UPPER image below.

**edited by moderator. please upload photos to forum directly to avoid broken links**

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I suppose it would depend on what you prefer. If the wearer has a particularly active life style you probably don't want something very dainty, on the other hand I think that very dainty bands (2mm or under) make the center stone appear larger, so if your trying to maximize the appearance of your diamond you may want to go with something around 2mm. There can also be some issue with dainty bands, depending on the metal used and what you plan on adding as a wedding band. Rubbing, and just wearing that ring daily can cause the band to thin over time. I'm thinking the average is about 2.5mm.

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock
We are very active and tough on most things.

My gut tells me 3mm just too big for a round 6.8 mm stone.

I found one thread where a lady posted a picture of her 4mm band and a 5.5mm round diamond. That band was almost 73% of the diamond's width and definitely too wide for me.

I think that I would find a 3mm underneath a 6.8 mm stone acceptable, just not ideal.

If any body else has some straight down pics with Stone and Band specs, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

PH80

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
have you had a chance to look at the rings here....

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/[/URL]

most of the posters have included specs of their rings, and there are thousands of rings to look at, so that should help. Also, have you gone to a local jeweler to try on rings? Most will have a 1ct stone set in a variety of settings, that will give you a better idea of what will look nice on the finger and fit your lifestyle. Hope this helps! Also you could start a new thread asking people to show you their 2-3mm shanks. Good Luck and Congrats! :)

vickyB

Rough_Rock
It will really help you a lot. Good luck and Congrats!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Have you heard of the rule of thirds? It's used in art and photography because things that have a ratio of thirds (like framing a landscape picture so 1/3 is sky and 2/3 land) is supposed to be most visually appealing. Well, it works for jewelry too (I chose the size of the diamond studs for my second ear piercing because they would be 2/3 the diameter of the studs in my first piercing).

So, if I were you and wanted a relatively fine shank, I would ask for something about 2.2-2.3mm.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting that you mention that about the 1/3's because my diamond is 9.5 long and I've been thinking a 3mm wide band would be best. I know that's wider than many on here go for, but I just think any smaller and it's just not going to look right.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stick with under 2.5mm, personally.

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

Rule of thirds - gotcha. Had not thought of that application in jewelry, but it makes sense. I designed and built my house a few years ago (in addition to all the interior wood work... stair case not fun!) and often 1/3s do end up being a good place to start. In some places just a HAIR over or under half work well to. Anyway, over the years I've developed a decent eye for proportionality and what is both eye appealing and sensible. The 44% diamond width a 3mm band was NOT sitting well with me.

In general keep it under 2.5 mm - I tend to agree with you. 3 just seems a bit chunky for a 6.8mm diamond.

Good news is, the jeweler has found a casting that is almost identical in look and feel that he should be able to polish down to about 2.4 - 2.5 mm and it will carry the same 14 three pointers in the same fashion.

What's crazy is that half 1/2 mm is only .001685 inches, which is slightly more than 1/64 of an inch. You say on one hand that this couldn't possibly make a visual difference, BUT, that 1/2 mm takes me from 44.1% of my diamond's width to 36.7% of my diamonds width. If it's all about proportionality, which I think it is, then I'm now a LOT CLOSER to 1/3 and a LOT FARTHER from 1/2...

I think this will work well.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
One other thing to think about is that a thinner shank on the e-ring will make it easier to stack with a wider or equal width wedding band(s). For example, many ladies here have 2mm e-ring shanks, and then stack two or three 2mm bands with it. With a 3mm or more shank, and then a matching 3mm or more wedding band, that's taking up a lot of finger and can start looking crowded.

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock
Good news is that she has some octopus like fingers on her! ;-) Seriously, they're long.

If he can get it down to 2.4 - 2.5 then I think we'll be okay.

The one I really waned was 1.8 all the way round with 2 pointers, but I think that was a bit too thin. We are very active and I'd hate to have something give out on the boat or something like that.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results