shape
carat
color
clarity

SETTING Thoughts, ideas and cost considerations?

rockjock1

Rough_Rock
Hello PS 'ers

I have received the stone and am just trying to figure our what's next. My plan is to temporarily set in a stock solitaire and then go pick one out , yet I'd like to have some ideas/knowledge to discuss with her. She is a nurse so I thought I'd see if there is any recommendations of low setting. Not sure she'll be excited about a bezel and a friend chose this one I believe and it sets fairly low. http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122665/?groupId=125728#/matching-band

In any event, to have an idea I got a rough estimate of the above for a size 7 G Si1 for the sides of ~ 1600 for PLAT and 900 WG. I was a little surprised the big difference given the flip in PLAT vs Gold ratio. Are these in the ballpark out what this would go for? I originally was told by another jeweler,albeit when considering a stone purchase from him, a similar one would be in the 900 range for platinum but may have been mistaken.

Thanks.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
That setting isn't for a rbc cut. That Stuller setting is nice though I'm not sure of the cost. David Klass had some nice solitaire designs that might be worth looking to as well. They were a little over $1k for platinum settings but don't hold me to that price figure.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
solgen|1450727379|3964396 said:
That setting isn't for a rbc cut. That Stuller setting is nice though I'm not sure of the cost. David Klass had some nice solitaire designs that might be worth looking to as well. They were a little over $1k for platinum settings but don't hold me to that price figure.
Stuller does offer the mounting linked in the OP for round center stones (and other shapes too):
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122665/11857707/?groupId=125728#/center-stone

rockjock, it can definitely be worth your while to get price quotes on Stuller mountings/semi-mounts from several jewelers because they all don't charge the same mark-up. Re the 122665 mounting in your initial post: did the prices you were quoted contemplate having Stuller supply and set the little melee stones or having the jeweler source and set those?

fyi Pumpkins paid Adam at Old World Jewelers less than $300 for the Stuller 122004 in 14K white gold (depicted in the thread VRBeauty linked for you) -- and that price included making the prongs more delicate & setting the 1.5 ct center stone, which was purchased from Adam so he may have given her a discount on the mounting. Here's the online catalogue page for 122004:
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122004/?groupId=113775#/start/Mountings

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one you picked is very busy and large and frankly, not appealing to the majority of people. I think you should go with something more classic with broader appeal, as you don't know how long she'll be wearing it.

is the shape of the stone? Is it a square?

I recommend these, they come in versions for round or square:
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122005/?groupId=113778#/center-stone
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122455/11145949/?groupId=121881#/center-stone (personal preference for this one)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm confused. Are you wanting a stock setting for the proposal and then you and your intended will pick out a forever setting together??

The setting you posted is not something I would choose unless she has specifically mentioned or pinned settings very similar to that.

If it's just for the proposal a very classic simple setting would be ideal. I like the second one Gypsy posted.

rockjock1

Rough_Rock
Hi all thanks for the replys. Round 1.37. Apologies if I wasn't clear as I'm confused too. For proposal I want a simple , kind of whatever the jeweler has or can get quickly and/or allow me to return for the "real" ring. I do not need suggestions on this, heck silver is even fine. We will then go shopping for one she likes, I just wanted to get a short list of ideas together that are low setting. The one I posted was a friends I saw and according to her was a low setting design. I did stop by the jewelers and was surprised they charged $100 to set even if I bought it there, same for the real setting. Is this typical? Thought their price was meaningfully on the high side anyhow. I tend to like supporting the locale...up to a point. Thx

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's why I picked the stuller settings. Any jewelers can get them very quickly. Usually within 48 hours and sometimes witonehin 24.

It is best to have the vendor you buy the stone from set the stone. Even with a $100 fee an outside jeweler will not insure the stone while setting it, so if the stone chips, that's your problem, not theirs.

Also, silver is a very poor choice for setting a diamond, unless you want to lose the diamond.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I understand now. It's nice you're thinking of potential options for your GF that are low settings, but maybe you don't need to worry too much about that? In other words, she may have ideas of what she likes and is interested in. Or maybe she wants your input...

For some nurses and others in healthcare they pick whatever setting they love and just wear their wedding band at work. Some do like low profile settings so they can wear their e-ring at work, so it kind of depends on what she wants to do. Even a low set pronged e-ring will catch on gloves, so there's not much to do to get around that unless she goes for a full bezel since semi-bezels can catch too.

She can go for an eternity band with diamonds if she wants a blingy wedding band too :)) .

Oh and yes, many jewelers charge to set the diamond.

rockjock1

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! Agreed on all accounts,waiting/rather than guessing or really steering her to what she might like is not a good idea. And FYI she had mentioned just a nice eternity band in the past,yet I viewed that as more of not expecting me to go out and break the bank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results