shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting stones myself? Where to start?

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I would be interested in learning how to set stones myself, as a hobby and also a way to make some fun silver pieces (maybe gold later on) for cheap. I really haven't found a jeweler nearby that would do a decent job setting stones for a decent price, and I'm usually pretty handy. So far I'm thinking using calibrated stones and the corresponding settings - such as the silver ones from tripps. Those need to be polished as well.

The only piece of equipment that I have that may be useful is a binocular dissection scope (10x - 40x I think, really useful to look at stones).

Any of you have pointers on where to start? What equipment to get? What is a good source of cheap settings to start with? How feasible is it?

From my research so far there are settings where you can just snap-in the stone but they looked so flimsy I don't know if I would use them.

Thanks!

-VSC

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are schools that teach gold and silversmith skills that can be found in magazines like Jewelry artist or rock and gem but two good places to start would be a rock and gem club if there's one near you and , check your local community colleges. All of the CC's around here have arts and crafts classes and I was able to take a few classes in jewelry design and lost wax casting. If I'd elected tp continue soldering and stone setting would have been next.

Pete

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check with your local Community College or look online local trade schools in jewelry making.

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Pete and Kenny: Thanks! I checked with the local community college and they have silversmithing, which is supposed to include stone setting (including bezels!). The only other potentially relevant classes are for wire jewelry making, which I'm not interested in. I'll look further away - maybe other places have more extended offerings. I'm planning to take the silversmithing course in the fall if they offer it (it's too late for summer session) :appl:

Deathspi: Thank you so much! Just what I needed.

-vsc

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results