shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Smaller Stones - Ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I apologize if there is already a thread about this somewhere, but thought I''d bring up the question.
16.gif

Other than ring stackers, I''m looking for some ideas to set smaller stones - around 4.5 - 5.5 in size. DBTY? Pendants? Other ideas?
18.gif

If you have photos of projects you''ve done with smaller stones, please post them here. Or any other pictures you''ve seen!
36.gif

Affordable options please - especially since most of the stones in this size are inexpensive.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just set my 5mm pad in a sally lotus setting, in silver the setting would be about 80$

I like the look of petite solitaires actually, and there are some interesting jewelers on etsy you can work with. My silver gins from Kyle Anne were around 30$ and nicely done.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Cinnamon, what shapes do you have?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 2:27:12 PM
Author: cellentani
Cinnamon, what shapes do you have?
Rounds in the smaller sizes. I have a 4.7mm round green tourmaline from Barry and a 5mm montana sapphire coming from Vallejo916. These are the only two I have right now under 5.5mm. If I have some good ideas, I can certainly shop for more!

I also have a 4x6 oval spess from Jeff White. But I don't really like it so I'll probably never set it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
TL, That would be an awesome setting for my 4.7mm green one! I guess I thought LOGR would not have settings for smaller stones. But this makes sense because it would make the ring look like a nice size but not too big!

How far down in .mm's can I go to fit in a standard 5mm setting? .1 or .2? Maybe I'll need to put the montana in there? AND, it says it starts at ring size 6. Can I special order size 5?

Any other ideas?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, he has several now for round 5mm stones. He has an art deco inspired one, a double halo (no diamonds on the shank), and the one I posted with the same shank, but with a halo or no halo. I ordered the art deco inspired one, and I sent it back. The casting and workmanship were shoddy, but I think because it had too much going on with it. I would think his 5mm halos should fit anything from 4.5 to 5.5 mm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much are you looking to spend? I've got a design idea percolating for my five 4.5mm spess, set with diamonds, but probably can't afford to do what I want with them anytime soon. Am happy to share though if you are interested. My design idea would look best with matching 3 x 5 ovals, or 4-4.5 mm matching rounds though. So it may not work for you. Unless you want a multicolor ring.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 2:21:50 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I just set my 5mm pad in a sally lotus setting, in silver the setting would be about 80$

I like the look of petite solitaires actually, and there are some interesting jewelers on etsy you can work with. My silver gins from Kyle Anne were around 30$ and nicely done.
MTG, if you don''t mind me asking, what size ring do you wear? The handshots of your pad are amazing, and it looks like a good size!
1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 3:23:11 PM
Author: Gypsy
How much are you looking to spend? I''ve got a design idea percolating for my five 4.5mm spess, set with diamonds, but probably can''t afford to do what I want with them anytime soon. Am happy to share though if you are interested. My design idea would look best with matching 3 x 5 ovals, or 4-4.5 mm matching rounds though. So it may not work for you. Unless you want a multicolor ring.
Love to hear the idea! For example, I love kismet''s ring, but wouldn''t want to spend too much and would not set with diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:26:48 PM
Author: cinnamon013

How much are you looking to spend? I''ve got a design idea percolating for my five 4.5mm spess, set with diamonds, but probably can''t afford to do what I want with them anytime soon. Am happy to share though if you are interested. My design idea would look best with matching 3 x 5 ovals, or 4-4.5 mm matching rounds though. So it may not work for you. Unless you want a multicolor ring.
Love to hear the idea! For example, I love kismet''s ring, but wouldn''t want to spend too much and would not set with diamonds.
The diamonds don''t add that much to the price, honestly because they are quite small. But the cost is around a 1000 for the setting, so that may not work for you. It''s along the lines of Kismet''s setting but different. But it''s really the cost of the CAD, cast, and then the amazing polish/finish work that drives the cost (which is why I''m slating it for after my studs, so next year).

I would look at Unique settings of NY and Adwar and see if anything stock might work for you, then buy stones for it. That might cut down the costs some (at least the CAD costs, but the polish etc would be the same), and you might find something you really love. There are some REALLY nice designs on there.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:33:37 PM

The diamonds don''t add that much to the price, honestly because they are quite small. But the cost is around a 1000 for the setting, so that may not work for you. It''s along the lines of Kismet''s setting but different.

Actually, the diamonds were about 50% the total cost of the ring (40% if you include the cost of the sapphires). They don''t cost much individually, but since my 7.25 ring size needed 8 their cost added up. I''m not sure if the marquise shape of the diamonds made it pricier or not.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:44:33 PM
Author: Kismet

Date: 5/26/2009 4:33:37 PM

The diamonds don''t add that much to the price, honestly because they are quite small. But the cost is around a 1000 for the setting, so that may not work for you. It''s along the lines of Kismet''s setting but different.

Actually, the diamonds were about 50% the total cost of the ring (40% if you include the cost of the sapphires). They don''t cost much individually, but since my 7.25 ring size needed 8 their cost added up. I''m not sure if the marquise shape of the diamonds made it pricier or not.
To clarify, the diamonds in the design I want don''t add much to the cost. I priced yours out, and coudn''t afford it because of those lovely marquise. The diamonds I have in mind are much smaller, and round.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock

Let me say again I love your ring! So 8 yogos and 8 diamonds? I could do a similar thing with a half ring of say 3 stones one color and 2 stones the other. My problem is I''m trying to make a ring based on stones I''m picking up here and there.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 3:38:53 PM
Author: kribbie

MTG, if you don''t mind me asking, what size ring do you wear? The handshots of your pad are amazing, and it looks like a good size!
1.gif

I wear a 4.5 on my ring finger, which is nice for custom work because the smaller stones look larger, but it''s annoying because I have to resize if I buy anything retail.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:58:38 PM

Date: 5/26/2009 3:38:53 PM
Author: kribbie

MTG, if you don't mind me asking, what size ring do you wear? The handshots of your pad are amazing, and it looks like a good size!
1.gif

I wear a 4.5 on my ring finger, which is nice for custom work because the smaller stones look larger, but it's annoying because I have to resize if I buy anything retail.
I know what you mean. I also have smaller fingers and I never find any jewelry that fits unless it's in the children's section. That's why from now on I'm going to try stick with custom.
Your pad looks awesome on you though. Like it was just meant to be yours.
1.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:50:04 PM

Let me say again I love your ring! So 8 yogos and 8 diamonds? I could do a similar thing with a half ring of say 3 stones one color and 2 stones the other. My problem is I''m trying to make a ring based on stones I''m picking up here and there.

Thanks! Yes, there are 8 of each stone. When I center a sapphire on my finger I can see 3 sapphires and 4 diamonds.

If you''re near where Intergem comes you could pick up some matching stones there. There were a number of vendors who had smaller stones when I went.

Alternatively, you could do a DBTY-ish necklace; that might be easier if the stones aren''t really the same size/shape.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I love kismet's new ring. And you've already got the spess. No that was a different poster! Sorry.

I also love the dbty necklaces.

Maybe a cluster would work also, a center stone and then smaller stones around it to form a flower look? It could be a pendant or a ring but I'd probaly do it as a pendant.

I'd also like to see a small round paired with a larger marquise stone as earrings.

HTH

Edited for spelling and clarity.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe earrings?

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Can I special order size 5?

Yes, you can special order the size. Just buy the "stock" piece and send him an e-mail through eBay explaining what customization you need. I upgraded the diamonds in mine and had them size it to a 5. It costs like $10.00 to size it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I set a 5.5 mm stone in a setting with a halo. I also set two 5 mm stones in one setting.

Also ear rings.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so what did you decide to do? still contemplating?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I just picked up the setting I was talking about with the 5.2mm spinel. It is in a ebay china setting - I am not a huge fan of the setting design but it was well made. The photo was taken in the poor lighting of my living room. The stone is a vibrant pink with no extinction.

Charmy-PinkSpinel.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 9:57:37 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I just picked up the setting I was talking about with the 5.2mm spinel. It is in a ebay china setting - I am not a huge fan of the setting design but it was well made. The photo was taken in the poor lighting of my living room. The stone is a vibrant pink with no extinction.
wow charmy- that is a beautiful stone and great looking setting. that stone color just pops out!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oh Charmy, that''s lovely! Which eBay vendor had that setting? The color of your spinel is so beautiful!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That particular setting was made by diamondmounts although there are a few sellers with that design. I am pleased with the settings I got from diamondmounts (I have 4).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 9:57:37 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Beautiful!!
30.gif
I love the setting design!! Is that lan.bo4? The spinel is a nice color and it really pops in there.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 10:31:14 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Beautiful!!
30.gif
I love the setting design!! Is that lan.bo4? The spinel is a nice color and it really pops in there.
It's from a seller name diamondmounts (it isn't one of lan.bo4's accounts). I always loved that spinel but it doesn't photography well .. it is really stunning in person even though it is small. It's pretty funny but I accidently won 3 of this setting design ranging from $75 to $120. I asked the seller to make it for a 7mm stone but he didn't change the stone size ... I was too lazy to send it back and set the 5mm cushion in it. I then go the other one I bought but not shipped made into 7 mm ... then I bought that 7.5mm stone from Barry ... so we will see if it fits.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not as knowledgeable with settings but am curious about something. Years ago, I noticed a lot of illusion settings for diamonds, that make them appear much larger than they really are. Are those settings still around? Will it fit any gemstone? It might be a consideration for smaller gems.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have seen couple illusion settings crop up on PS over the last few months (if I am actually correct in what I think they are).

I think a setting like the Daniel K rosebud is a great way to make a smaller stone look bigger. This is what prompt me to go for the ebay setting I have above. Of course, the Daniel K setting is much prettier. One of my bestfriends has been trying to convince me to go this route for my ering.

375x375.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results