shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Similar to Zales

avwbug

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for a few weeks and there is so much information, I love it!! My husband and I are wanting to upgrade my ring. I know that I don't want to go to a B&M store like zales, however we both fell in LOVE with one of their settings and I cannot seem to find another one like it.

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24611186

I have looked at whiteflash, goodoldgold, james allen, ect and I cannot find one like it. I found a similar one at Shaneco but I feel like they are overpriced as well, just a step above zales!

Would you recommend I contact an online company like WF and see if they will do a custom setting that is similar to this one? Is it rude or offensive to show a setting that is from a B&M store?

Thank you all in advance for your help!!

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
I know they are just pictures, but both rings posted above ( well, it's just the setting in the first, and the complete ring in the second) BOTH look so much more well made and much as I hate this word ; Classier. :wink2:

Good luck, ring shopping is scary but SO much fun !!!

avwbug

Rough_Rock
I love both of those rings, thank you so much!! It is very scary, but so much fun now that I am becoming a educated consumer thanks to you all! We had Zales give us a quote on that ring and they wanted 9300 after taxes and warranties!

On the gabrielny ring, I am not seeing where to shop for loose diamonds with them?

On the Diamonds by Lauren ring, it looks like the center stone is a J and the one from Zales is a I, would I notice much of a difference between the two colors?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avwbug|1396195917|3643773 said:
I love both of those rings, thank you so much!! It is very scary, but so much fun now that I am becoming a educated consumer thanks to you all! We had Zales give us a quote on that ring and they wanted 9300 after taxes and warranties!

On the gabrielny ring, I am not seeing where to shop for loose diamonds with them?

On the Diamonds by Lauren ring, it looks like the center stone is a J and the one from Zales is a I, would I notice much of a difference between the two colors?

So to the gabriel and co question. They sell settings, you would work with a company that sells their settings to get the stone. Good old gold sells that brand as does ID Jewelry.

to your question about J and I... The J was graded by GIA. This is a very strict grading lab that will generally have the most accurate color grades. The Zales ring will most like be graded by a softer grading lab. Meaning, who knows what color it would be if the stone was graded by GIA.

Ive heard GOG take 15-20% off the price listed at Gabriel and co... so assuming that, you could probably get that setting, and this 1 ct eye clean stone for under 9k ( though i don't know what your budget is or what CTW you were looking for )

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10583/

avwbug

Rough_Rock
ahhh thank you that makes sense about the difference in grading! I would be ok with spending upwards of 10k on the whole ring if I had to but would be overjoyed if I could get a ring for less. I honestly don't think I want more than 1ct center stone because I have small fingers and I want it to look classy, not gaudy. I basically just want a center diamond that is eye clean and sparkles like crazy! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avwbug|1396204359|3643889 said:
ahhh thank you that makes sense about the difference in grading! I would be ok with spending upwards of 10k on the whole ring if I had to but would be overjoyed if I could get a ring for less. I honestly don't think I want more than 1ct center stone because I have small fingers and I want it to look classy, not gaudy. I basically just want a center diamond that is eye clean and sparkles like crazy! :)

If thats the case i would buy this

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11875/

or this

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11703/

depending on your budget..... a tad under a ct, eye lean, white, and is going to sparkle like its nobody's business

avwbug

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, I will check these out!

avwbug

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply, those stones are stunning! Here is my thing. When I looked at the ring at Zales it looked eye clean to me, and was very sparkly, probably because it was the celebration 102 collection...102 facets. If their grading scale is sub par and it was probably lower than a I....more like a J here are my thoughts.

If I could get a "J" that sparkles, looks eye clean and is white I would be happy with that. I am not super concerned with the grading personally as long as it looks how I want. The problem I feel like I am going to run into though is how will I know if I am ok with how a diamond looks if I cannot see it until I buy it?

Sorry If I am not making any sense, I just feel like if Zales was able to show me a sub par diamond that was overpriced (but still sparkled and I thought it was a good diamond), couldn't I search for a .80 J SI2 and get a MUCH lower price? But how would I know if it was really eye clean and what I want unless I was able to see it in person?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what ill say about that cushion is that it faces up very small, if you were happy with the size, you could save money by just buying a .6 ct round...

To your question about just buying a j, you could get this one. Its price is about 4200. plus the 2200ish for the other setting thats 6400.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/11338/

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
avwbug|1396195917|3643773 said:

avwbug -

That DBL ring is lovely and a very good deal for the price, given the size of the centre stone and the amount of work in the setting.

I'd go for that one if I were in your position.

Just my thoughts. :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I have small fingers too (ring size 3.25) and the center stone of my halo E-ring is 1.5 carats - it's very classy and not at all gaudy. Larger stones do not necessarily equal gaudy...

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1396291095|3644443 said:

I have small fingers too (ring size 3.25) and the center stone of my halo E-ring is 1.5 carats - it's very classy and not at all gaudy. Larger stones do not necessarily equal gaudy...

I agree with MH, a diamond over 1ct doesn't automatically equal gaudy, but you should definitely make sure you're comfortable with whatever size (and style) you're considering.

I know people who won't consider stones that are over 1/2 carat because of their lifestyle, or circle of friends/family, etc and they've found that they're just not comfortable wearing anything near a carat (let alone LARGER :))).

avwbug

Rough_Rock
Thank you, do you mind posting a picture of your ring? I love the halo look so I'd love to see yours!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
My halo. I have since added a rose gold and diamond wedding band to go with it.

img_4312.jpg

avwbug

Rough_Rock
Gosh that is gorgeous!! thank you!

At this point I think I really need to do some more shopping, get more rings on my finger and figure out EXACTLY what size I want and then start the hunt again! Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results