shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting search and color q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerandmichael

Rough_Rock
I know how good everyone here is at locating things in the diamond world and I really need help to find a setting. I discovered one in a local chain B&M store and it''s brilliant...however they refuse to set any diamond not purchased through them and I refuse to pay their ridiculous prices.
29.gif
So I''m stuck.

I''ll do the best I can to describe it and would REALLY appreciate any photos or links to things that you think may be similar. I''ve been looking already, but I''m not so great at online searching.

The setting is 18k WG (don''t mind WG or plat) for a RBC, thin halo with the diamonds set into the metal (not just hanging in their by prongs). The halo is somewhat knife edge, with it having a top with pave diamonds, and the side/bottom with pave diamonds as well. The band is knife edge, but instead of being solid metal, it''s open and airy. It has a scalloped pattern on each side of the knife edge, set with pave diamonds in each tiny scallop. This scallop pattern continues onto the lower area of the head (?) as well. The band would probably be ~2.5 mm thick.

I know it''s a terrible description, but I just can''t get past the delicate, feminine scalloping.
7.gif
Even my husband who couldn''t care less about anything sparkly thought it was breathtaking. It was absolutely brilliant, but I just can''t justify spending what they''re asking in the store (which was $19,000 for the setting + 1.57 VG cut/SI1/K centerstone).
38.gif

And...even if you can''t find this particular setting, please feel free to make other suggestions. I''m really at the beginning of my search and all I''m set on is RBC, halo, with a thinish band. I like delicate and feminine things, so if anyone thinks of something offhand, please post it. I need all the help I can get!

And for my color question, which is completely subjective and of personal opinion, when you''re looking at stones around the 1.6-1.8 ct size, at what color grading would you absolutely stop? I''m only considering H&A stones, so the cut would minimize the yellow...but I just can''t find an absolute stopping place. It''s a slippery slope - you say, "Ok...H is the lowest." Then you see a great I and can''t tell the difference. A week later J is fine too because it looks almost identical to I. And so on.
40.gif
Where do I really need to draw the line? Warm is great - yellow is not.

Thanks for any and all help!!
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 12:19:48 AM
Author:gingerandmichael
I know how good everyone here is at locating things in the diamond world and I really need help to find a setting. I discovered one in a local chain B&M store and it''s brilliant...however they refuse to set any diamond not purchased through them and I refuse to pay their ridiculous prices.
29.gif
So I''m stuck.

I''ll do the best I can to describe it and would REALLY appreciate any photos or links to things that you think may be similar. I''ve been looking already, but I''m not so great at online searching.

The setting is 18k WG (don''t mind WG or plat) for a RBC, thin halo with the diamonds set into the metal (not just hanging in their by prongs). The halo is somewhat knife edge, with it having a top with pave diamonds, and the side/bottom with pave diamonds as well. The band is knife edge, but instead of being solid metal, it''s open and airy. It has a scalloped pattern on each side of the knife edge, set with pave diamonds in each tiny scallop. This scallop pattern continues onto the lower area of the head (?) as well. The band would probably be ~2.5 mm thick.

I know it''s a terrible description, but I just can''t get past the delicate, feminine scalloping.
7.gif
Even my husband who couldn''t care less about anything sparkly thought it was breathtaking. It was absolutely brilliant, but I just can''t justify spending what they''re asking in the store (which was $19,000 for the setting + 1.57 VG cut/SI1/K centerstone).
38.gif

And...even if you can''t find this particular setting, please feel free to make other suggestions. I''m really at the beginning of my search and all I''m set on is RBC, halo, with a thinish band. I like delicate and feminine things, so if anyone thinks of something offhand, please post it. I need all the help I can get!

And for my color question, which is completely subjective and of personal opinion, when you''re looking at stones around the 1.6-1.8 ct size, at what color grading would you absolutely stop? I''m only considering H&A stones, so the cut would minimize the yellow...but I just can''t find an absolute stopping place. It''s a slippery slope - you say, ''Ok...H is the lowest.'' Then you see a great I and can''t tell the difference. A week later J is fine too because it looks almost identical to I. And so on.
40.gif
Where do I really need to draw the line? Warm is great - yellow is not.

Thanks for any and all help!!
9.gif
I''d swear wink has a 1.5 carat J idealcut for under 10k.... www.winkjones.com call him to verify

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would focus on the stone first and then worry about the setting later. Leon mege comes to mind as someone who could make what you are describing well.

Here is a nice stone a little larger and for a very reasonable price. I almost hate to show you this one, because I was considering it...
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=937925

A nice leon mege (artofplatinum.com) halo setting I think goes for around 5k, so that would put you drastically under budget of what your jeweler quoted you for excellent services and a quality cut diamond.

EDIT: To get a feeling for J stones check out lynnb's thread in the show me the rings section. She has a 2+ J stone that is GORGEOUS!! There will be a little warmth there, but face up the color is WHITE.

gingerandmichael

Rough_Rock
Wow - that stone looks fantastic. The price at the local store was absolutely ridiculous - I was hoping I could get something around the same size for less than $9000 (which you obviously proved with this stone). I just have no idea how much to expect to pay for a similar setting...I know Leon does brilliant work, but I can''t spend $5000 for the setting. I''m wanting to keep it around $2k.

I feel really apprehensive about the entire challenge of upgrading. It seems like I should see a million different diamonds before choosing one...so even though this stone meets my definite "must haves", I can''t imagine actually dropping $8000 on it tomorrow.

So don''t worry about me stealing it from you - you should get it!!
28.gif
I don''t know how long it will get me to get past my feelings of not really knowing what I''m doing. Everyone here seems very confident and informed...and no matter how many tutorials and guides I read, I feel like I''m walking into a diamond ambush!
23.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 4:48:59 AM
Author: gingerandmichael
Wow - that stone looks fantastic. The price at the local store was absolutely ridiculous - I was hoping I could get something around the same size for less than $9000 (which you obviously proved with this stone). I just have no idea how much to expect to pay for a similar setting...I know Leon does brilliant work, but I can''t spend $5000 for the setting. I''m wanting to keep it around $2k.

I feel really apprehensive about the entire challenge of upgrading. It seems like I should see a million different diamonds before choosing one...so even though this stone meets my definite ''must haves'', I can''t imagine actually dropping $8000 on it tomorrow.

So don''t worry about me stealing it from you - you should get it!!
28.gif
I don''t know how long it will get me to get past my feelings of not really knowing what I''m doing. Everyone here seems very confident and informed...and no matter how many tutorials and guides I read, I feel like I''m walking into a diamond ambush!
23.gif

Naw, take it....in all honesty we won''t be upgrading this year...it''s just in my wish list because it''s a great value and a size I like. I rather you have it or another pricescoper than some random person out there...and this stone won''t be in inventory forever. One similar to it that I had my eye on went the other day. Also, don''t forget about the pricescope discount. It''s about 5% off the listed price with a bankwire for jamesallen stone above, and you have to ask for it to get it.

As far as getting informed, stick around, read posts, and ask questions when you don''t understand something. It won''t take long at all to feel better about your purchase. Be sure to remember that *cut* is the most important if you make any other mistake.

Leon''s work is amazing and definitely worth every penny. However, I can understand dropping 5k on a setting definitely seems difficult. Would you consider putting your money into the stone and just getting a temporary setting like a four-prong WG setting for $200...and then getting your *dream* setting a year or so later??

Also, leon''s work is a little less if you don''t get three-sided pave or if you don''t get the halo, then I think it''s more like 3k-4k. You''d have to call him for a quote to get a better idea. If you can find a picture or pictures with elements that you like maybe some other psers can help you find something similar for less. I tried to re-read the discription above, but I''m still really not sure what you are looking for.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found something else...I *really* hate to show you this one LOL!

This might put that leon setting a little closer to budget. This stone is a tremendous value at 1.42 carats J/SI2. It will face up like a 1.5, but costs quite a bit less. You might want to call jiim schultz at jamesallen to see if this stone is eye-clean or close to it.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=858447

gingerandmichael

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your help and reassurance, kcoursolle.
1.gif

I''ll try amend what kind of setting I''m looking for, in case anyone has any suggestions.

*white gold or plat
*halo for a RBC
*thin and feminine - but not so much that the integrity of the band is jeopardized
*micropave
*small bits of detail - surpise diamonds or scalloped edges or the like
*~$2k or less

I think I''ll have a look through James Allen''s settings -- I''m still really liking that first JA diamond you suggested.
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I''ll try amend what kind of setting I''m looking for, in case anyone has any suggestions.

*white gold or plat
*halo for a RBC
*thin and feminine - but not so much that the integrity of the band is jeopardized
*micropave
*small bits of detail - surpise diamonds or scalloped edges or the like
*~$2k or less

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is this along the lines of what you''re looking for?

http://www.ritani.com/home_html_2.php?stone=all&cat_id=98&gender=women&page=17&get_descr=1RD1694BR&metal=&collection=&matching=&related=&nav=&top=jewelry

I know Ritani is more expensive than what you''re looking at, but I know I''ve seen others similar to this look. It''s beautiful!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
knoxjewelers.biz would be able to custom make a nice halo for you for under 2k. They are great to work with. They custom designed a RHR for me and I was very happy with their customer service, their attention to detail, and the quality of their work. You might also want to check out their website as they have a few inexpensive halos there.

Also, here is a danhov halo that just barely comes under budget in WG. http://www.jamesallen.com/designer-jewelry/meno_collection_by_danhov.asp?module=setting&cid=294&item=1129

Check out pearlman''s jewelers who carry the ritani line as mentioned above. Ritanit makes a pretty nice halo I think and people have said the quality is very nice.

If you really want to go cheap...here is a halo I found that reminds me of the tiffany legacy. However, I''m not so sure about the qualilty...could be a gamble, but they have a good return policy.
http://www.adiamor.com/R-1089-R2801-1.htm

Another one:
http://www.adiamor.com/R-1039-R2661-1.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results