shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting regret

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Recent lurker as my fiance learned all about round brilliants from you PSers, and recommended the site to me! I can't thank you all enough as the threads are so educational.

My fiance got me a wonderful WF ACA 2+ H VS2 diamond that I'm absolutely in love with. He placed it in a temporary white gold WF 6-prong classic setting, and let me choose the final setting. I tried on a few at WF and none particularly hit the mark as the base of the prongs all seemed too wide, obscuring the culet. I finally settled on a platinum Vatche U113, but asked for the following modifications: switching the band to half-round (I don't like the feeling of knife edge between my fingers), deepening the valleys between the prongs, switching the prongs to petite tabs, and thinning the prongs.

I fear that I've made a mistake asking for these modifications. I wish that I had gotten a CAD or feedback from Vatche re: what the "deepened valley" modification would entail. The final product does not look like what is featured on the Vatche website. I'm told that by deepening the valleys between the prongs, they couldn't make the prongs skinny or risk the integrity of the prongs. As a result, the prongs and tabs look wider than I'd like.

I've asked Vera if there was a way to make the prongs skinnier and unfortunately, there is not. The new setting does not affect the light performance of the diamond (I think it actually seems more sparkly) but I'm unsure of whether I should spend more money getting a new setting. I'd hate to waste $2000 on this setting, but the prongs are less delicate than I thought they would be.

Any advice, PSers? Am I being crazy? I see so few side profiles of the U113 on here.

I apologize for my old lady hands!

fullsizeoutput_744.jpeg
IMG_4121.JPG
fullsizeoutput_745.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I can see what you aren’t liking.
It’s the top outside curve part of the prong. It looks a tad too fat and bulbous - sort of sticking out. Have you spoken to them? I can see that just a slight slimming down of that curve at the outside top of the prong would be better.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you are not happy with it then you need to change it or it will always bother you. I, too, am very detail-oriented and understand that you had specific aesthetics in mind. I think that they should've told you that the adjustments you wanted would not be possible BEFORE completion of the mounting. Had they told you that to do "x" you would have to give up "y", etc., you could've selected what was most important or do something different altogether. To be honest, with all the changes you made, it seems to me that this wasn't the right mounting for you. With that said, since they did not discuss the limitations of your requests before completion, perhaps they will "work with you" on a remake where you both absorb the cost. Hence, maybe it will only cost you $1,000 instead of $2,000 to get what you want. I almost feel you would've been better off just staying with the mounting you were presented with when your fiancé proposed to you as the shank on this probably looks pretty much like what you had before. Personally, I don't think the head matches the shank. I hope I am not upsetting you but I think that is what you are already seeing or you wouldn't be asking us for confirmation. So, yes, I see what you are saying. But don't say you fear you "made a mistake"... please don't beat yourself up. You are not a jeweler... a person that makes jewelry. How could you possibly know that there would be reasons they couldn't do what you asked. It is for this reason that I try to stay away from "custom" work because I have always been disappointed. I am SUCH a detail person, down to the tiniest element (makes my husband CRAZY) that it is just better if I purchase something completed so I know EXACTLY how it will look. You might need to keep this in mind going forward. TRUST ME, you are not the first person to ever have to absorb some unexpected expense to make jewelry right. But this isn't some random pendant or whatever you received as a gift for a holiday or birthday that comes around each year. This is your ENGAGEMENT RING and it has to be right. BEAUTIFUL DIAMOND, btw! (See, it's not all bad... the most important part is excellent!). Trust me, you aren't the first person that they needed to remake a ring for, either ;-) A hassle now but worth it in the end!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your setting, but if it bothers you it bothers you. Maybe you can have them remake it without deeper valleys and thinner prongs?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you. It's still an attractive ring but the large prongs wouldn't be my first choice, either.

This sort of thing is so common since, as has been mentioned, most of us are not jewelers. So I wouldn't fret too much about it but just ask them how much it would cost to the setting re-done to your liking, then decide how to proceed. Good luck!

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, congrats on a beautiful stone and setting but more importantly your engagement!

I would consider this a semi custom ring. Basically a stock setting with some minor mods. People do this all the time. So I wouldn't beat yourself up too much.

IMO, you need to address the issue now. While it may be beautiful to others it's not what YOU love. It's still new so I think a conversation with WF is a must! They literally bend over backwards for their customers satisfaction and I am certain they do not want you unhappy for any reason. Explain the issue and ask for some potential solutions.

Worst case scenario, you take advantage of WF's designer setting upgrade program and get 50% of original value towards a new design. No diamond upgrade required. ;)2

See the link below (towards bottom of page):

https://www.whiteflash.com/confidence/lifetime-trade-up-guarantee/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry it did not turn out how you had visualized and I agree with those who say fix/change it now. If it bothers you now it will most likely just become more bothersome as time goes on. And don't waste energy on beating yourself up about this. It isn't your fault and moving forward is your best choice. So you can get the ring of your dreams that you deserve. To match the man of your dreams.:kiss2: And enjoy your engagement.:appl:

By the way you do not have old lady hands. Not even close. :!:

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your replies!

I tried to love the setting for the past 2 weeks, and I still feel lukewarm. I've asked Whiteflash if they could trim the large area (marked by the pink lines below) but I'm told it would lead to structural instability.

I'm going to take your advice and ask Whiteflash if I can exchange it for the original Vatche U113 head. I liked what they did with the band--they actually softened the knife edge, rather than switch out the band for half-round. The edge doesn't bother my fingers anymore, and it maintained the delicate look of the setting (minus the large prongs!).

If you have any advice regarding modifications for the Vatche U113, I'd greatly appreciate it. I may head over to "Show Me The Bling" to see if anyone has a side profile of the Vatche U113.

What I wish I could trim:
fullsizeoutput_727.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Vatche will replace the head with the original, I would not ask for any modifications. My best advice is to either love it in its original form or perhaps go with something else altogether.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe wait until you pick out a wedding band and see how it sits? Then you may want to modify or change it. I think the ring is beautiful and because the diamond is so beautiful the setting takes backstage.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you are asking for reminded me of two settings by CVB (Caysie Van Bebber). For some reason my browser is showing me her prices in pounds and my settings are US, but if I recall these are typically under $2k. Maybe one of these would be a better fit? She sets outside stones, and her quality is highly regarded here.

Her 'Jovyn'
il_794xN.1141646022_qeui.jpg

il_fullxfull.1442056917_5z7f.jpg

And her 'Abby'
il_794xN.1235907162_rsjr.jpg

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
@rainydaze Wow, you are SPOT ON. I'd love to stick with the 6-prong setting, and the Jovyn setting is GORGEOUS. I had no idea that was available. :love:

I was also looking at Brian Gavin's "Tapered Classic Style Half Round" (https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...pered-classic-style-half-round-platinum-5540p):

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 10.00.55 AM.png

I would be really happy with either Jovyn or BG's. I'll have to ask Whiteflash if they can "import" any of these settings into their shop.

@lambskin you give great advice. We still need to pick out wedding bands and that may affect the e-ring setting choice.

Thank you everyone for your help! I think for now, I will enjoy our engagement and my time with my amazing fiance.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the BG setting and the CVB setting it will fall on you to send your diamond to the shops to have it set, I don't believe WF would be able to bring either of those settings in (BG is a direct competitor).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the BG setting and the CVB setting it will fall on you to send your diamond to the shops to have it set, I don't believe WF would be able to bring either of those settings in (BG is a direct competitor).

I agree, which is why I think it's best to see what WF can do to help / what ideas they have.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can have Vatche replace the head. You'll have to pay, but it won't nearly be as much as a whole new setting. I did it when I upgraded to a larger diamond.

My honest opinion is that the way the setting is normally made is better than the changes you asked them to make. You can see in my avatar picture that my tab prongs are smaller than yours are. I don't think I have a profile view of mine, but I have better access to cleaning mine. (Just one more note, once you wear a wedding band with a knife edge band, you can no longer even feel the knife edge shank as it blends in with the wedding band. I cant feel mine at all.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, forgive the poor picture quality, and the light reflection kind of makes it look funny. But here is how my normal head with no alterations looks, and it covers less of the stone than yours does from what I can tell. I can clean my stone well in this setting. I'd personally go with the CVB Jovyn if it had existed at the time, but I plan to reset in an antique style setting rather than a solitaire at this point. Excuse the ring snuggie, too, my rings are loose in the winter!

IMG_0656.jpg

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Okay, forgive the poor picture quality, and the light reflection kind of makes it look funny. But here is how my normal head with no alterations looks, and it covers less of the stone than yours does from what I can tell. I can clean my stone well in this setting. I'd personally go with the CVB Jovyn if it had existed at the time, but I plan to reset in an antique style setting rather than a solitaire at this point. Excuse the ring snuggie, too, my rings are loose in the winter!

IMG_0656.jpg

I've sent an email to Vera to see what Vatche can do.

Thank you for sending me a side profile of your ring, @diamondseeker2006!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My setting was bought elsewhere, but it cost me a few hundred dollars to replace the head. WF may not have ever done that, but they would have to call Vatche and ask the cost to replace the head.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like your changes better. I LOVE the rounded shank and I think the prongs are fine. Maybe give it a few more weeks and see if you start to like it more. It really is a lovely ring.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I actually like your changes better. I LOVE the rounded shank and I think the prongs are fine. Maybe give it a few more weeks and see if you start to like it more. It really is a lovely ring.

I can see how someone might like this ring. It's finely crafted, but just different than what I had imagined.

Good news-Vera from Whiteflash got back to me and we're able to fix it by changing the head back to the original Vatche U113. You are all right about Whiteflash's customer service. They've earned a loyal customer for life.

I know one thing, I am NOT meant to be a jeweler. You jewelers (and savvy customers who know what to ask for) are to be respected for being able to translate a vision into reality.

Thank you all for your input! Hopefully next time I can post the final ring on Show Me The Bling! :wavey:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see how someone might like this ring. It's finely crafted, but just different than what I had imagined.

Good news-Vera from Whiteflash got back to me and we're able to fix it by changing the head back to the original Vatche U113. You are all right about Whiteflash's customer service. They've earned a loyal customer for life.

I know one thing, I am NOT meant to be a jeweler. You jewelers (and savvy customers who know what to ask for) are to be respected for being able to translate a vision into reality.

Thank you all for your input! Hopefully next time I can post the final ring on Show Me The Bling! :wavey:
Glad you are able to get this resolved :)

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
That is awesome! I'm happy you're getting your dream ring and not giving up! Post pictures when you get your ring:)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad this has worked out for you! Can't wait to see your ring in SMTB!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results