shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting question (prongs)- space between diamond and base?

alongcat

Rough_Rock
So I think we have found our diamond (WF) and as soon as I have bought it I will post all specs (nervous about posting before as I am super-paranoid it will get snatched up! :rolleyes: )

Now I have been debating whether to get a new setting or to go with the one in my temporary ring, I actually love the setting but had planned to sell the temp ring as a whole on ebay (it only has a moissanite which on its own won't be worth much). And I didn't have a very good buying experience where I got my temp ring so I am loath to use them again and I haven't found another setting the same...

So ANYWAY... sorry to be all longwinded... I had come around to thinking maybe just swap stones and keep my temp setting, even though I love a 6 prong setting. And WF has one very reasonably priced (a good thing as we are blowing the budget a bit on my diamond which will now be $4,400 :errrr: ) but it has a huge gap between the diamond and the base - what is the benefit of this, does it just make the diamond look bigger or does it also sparkle more? My current setting is a cathedral, very pretty, but the stone is completely nestled in, snugly at the bottom.

I am also a bit worried that the gap-setting at WF will make it dirty underneath, difficult to clean? And my final question is, are the prongs adjusted dimensionally to suit the carat? I worry that the setting will otherwise swamp my .8 carat stone! I am also unsure whether a wedding ring would sit flush against this setting.

Thanks again! I can't find a way to post photos so I am including a link to the WF setting here:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Setting question (prongs)- space between diamond and bas

alongcat|1454751063|3987631 said:
I had come around to thinking maybe just swap stones and keep my temp setting, even though I love a 6 prong setting. And WF has one very reasonably priced (a good thing as we are blowing the budget a bit on my diamond which will now be $4,400 :errrr: ) but it has a huge gap between the diamond and the base - what is the benefit of this, does it just make the diamond look bigger or does it also sparkle more? My current setting is a cathedral, very pretty, but the stone is completely nestled in, snugly at the bottom.
That gap is huge because they are using a commercial setting with what is called a "tall" head. These types of heads can be had in different heights and they all attach to the band in the same way. If you want it shorter, just ask them and see if they'll use the shorter head.

I am also a bit worried that the gap-setting at WF will make it dirty underneath, difficult to clean?
Just the opposite, the bigger the gap, the easier it is to clean the stone.

And my final question is, are the prongs adjusted dimensionally to suit the carat? I worry that the setting will otherwise swamp my .8 carat stone! I am also unsure whether a wedding ring would sit flush against this setting.
No, the prongs on this style of setting are all made from material that is the same thickness of about 1mm at a minimum. This is pretty much a requirement so that the head is as strong for large stones as it is for smaller stones. If it were made thinner, it would be weaker and that's no good. The prong tips are scaled to the size of the stone and are designed to go no farther up the crown of the stone than about 1/2 to 3/4 of the length of the break facets that they press against.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would try to re-use your setting, maybe with just a new head. That Ritani setting is just asking to be knocked around and snagged everywhere.

Do you like this one? Ask WF for a quote in 14kt white gold for it. I think it would be a nicer setting for you. http://www.stuller.com/products/15520615/?groupId=7766 It should be about the same price as that Ritani.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

alongcat

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy, really really helpful. That Stuller one is really lovely actually! On a romantic level it is particularly appealing as we got engaged on winter solstice!

I will email WF and get an idea of a price. Would you know whether a medium setting (vs a low) makes the diamond look bigger or is it just a case of what someone thinks looks good? It's hard to imagine what it will look like in real life as the pictures are so big.

Thanks again! =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Some people say a higher setting makes a stone look larger to them. I wouldn't go any higher than medium though. :wavey:

alongcat

Rough_Rock

Thank you, that's very helpful. I would absolutely not go above a medium either, I am clumsy anyway and it would get stuck everywhere! :loopy:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results