shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for this Tourmaline?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I want to make a ring out of this pretty pale pink Tourmaline I just bought. It''s 7.9 * 7.9 mm.

Can''t spend much over $1000 for setting, but want something unique.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

gc020.jpg

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing about settings, but that is a beautiful stone.
1.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
katrina_33
There are several ways to arrive at what you want in the way that this stone will be mounted. The most costly is a fully custom mounting that meets your exact requirements. These are made either by carving a wax and then casting the mounting to that form using the lost wax process or fabricating the mounting from parts such as wire and sheet stock. The cost for this usually rises with increased complexity and, of course, weight. One other way is to take a stock mounting from a supplier of castings and modify it to your specifications by adding material or other gemstones, (like small diamonds). If you find a stock casting that is satisfactory you can even just have the stone mounted in that with little or no modifications.
The cost associated with stock mountings is more dependent on the type of metal used and the weight of the piece than on it's complexity. A good example of this is that a plain mounting for that stone can be put together in platinum for under $1000 whereas the same mounting in 14K gold can be done for close to $300.
Your choice should revolve around getting something that you will really love. Do you have a particular style which you are drawn to ? Perhaps wide sweeping curves, more modern angular forms or even an antique style with engraved filigree. There is a HUGE variety of options open to you in that price range and I'll bet that many of the folks on here would be very happy to post some pictures if you could indicate the sort of style that you might be happy with.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe something like this???
naughty.gif

DSCN2275.JPG

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Love it! This is just what I had in mind, but didn't have much faith in getting something similar (even in WG) for $1,000 or less, so I was asking for ideas.

Do you think that this is indeed possible for my budget? It's 7.9 * 7.9 mm. Is this close enough to 8 * 8 that I could maybe use a pre-fab mounting, or would I have to get one made? Any idea where to get such a mounting, either pre made or custom?

Thanks!

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
You can have this setting done with the accent diamonds down the side, and custom done to fit the pavillion (bottom) of the tourmaline for around $700. another custom touch would be to add rose gold prongs to reduce risk in setting because they are a little easier to push over the stone, but mostly to help the color of the stone. This is very popular in Hong Kong right now which means you will see it here later this year or next.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results