• CvB

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Something else!

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!
Some of you might have already seen this in my other thread, sorry for spamming the forum:lol-2:
I just purchased this fantasy cut Montana sapphire cut by Sennin Esko and felt so lucky. Now my problem is I've been thinking so hard but still can't decide how to set it!

Starting with the gem itself:
Stat: 2.29ct. 9.2mm w. 5.7mm h. 5.3mm d. unheated
Lightbox photo:
1663362532040.png
Screenshots from Sennin's videos, which he said were very accurate in depicting the color (more blue in daylight and more green under warm artificial light):
1663362288878.png 1663365029608.png

1663361892776.png 1663362046844.png

First question: what color gold would go well with its color (other than rose gold which my skin tone hates)? I'm debating between unplated wg / 14k yg / platinum.

It's with Sennin atm so I was considering letting him set it in a simple durable bezel to contrast with the rather complicated faceting pattern. Below are some of his settings:
1663363855152.png 1663363895891.png

But then I've been admiring CvB's designs for a long time but haven't bitten the bullet yet. I'm thinking about her Esti (left) or Tempest (right) design:
1663364465041.png 1663364261323.png
I'm not sure if the ring will look over-complicated with both the fantasy cut and Caysie's intricate design. Of course going with Caysie means at least four to five the times the cost. Have to sell some loose stones I've been hoarding then...

Open to other setting ideas (both EW and NS are ok) as well!

Inbloom

Shiny_Rock
I’m sure Sennin could probably do similar to the CVB designs based on what I’ve seen on his website and FB/Insta. It seems most of his settings are bezel too. Since your examples were all bezel, I assume this is your non-negotiable? (I love claw prongs myself)

Inbloom

Shiny_Rock
By the way, congrats on such a beautiful Montana! I’m sure however you set it it’ll be gorgeous- pics please when you receive it!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh, such a hard decision! The intricate cut of the stone can really rock a simple bezel and be the star of the show. That said, if your heart desires a CvB setting the regret can be real. I 100% understand that, as I love her designs too. I've have set stones i love in "cheaper" settings not wanting to spend the $ at the time. And then regret it.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and gorgeous cut^^

I can see why you love CVB designs but also think the sapphire goes equally well with both bezel and claw prongs.

IMO the geometric cut and shape of the stone may also work with asymmetrical setting designs or even setting it diagonally to add more character. Enjoy your ring building:)

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
The interwebs just popped this into my search results and now I can't get it out of my head how cool and special your sapphire would be as the star of this ring contrasting with the stepcuts . Found via this Etsy listing that also has a video.

il_794xN.3857299054_qpkt.jpg

I chose CVB, as I'm always in favor of erring on the side of bling. But what I'd really love to see is you set it north-south and halo the heck out of it. :P2 It has such a unique color, cut, and shape. Also, I think I'd go with a white metal to keep that icy look. But, really, they'd all work! Have fun!!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful stone!! I love Sennin's work so if it was up to me I would let him do the setting. My carved band from him is easily the most beautiful thing I own. But I'm sure I sound biased xD
His work sure looks amazing and I spent way too much time on his website. Oh and I'd like to see your band!!

I’m sure Sennin could probably do similar to the CVB designs based on what I’ve seen on his website and FB/Insta. It seems most of his settings are bezel too. Since your examples were all bezel, I assume this is your non-negotiable? (I love claw prongs myself)
I'm open to claw prongs as well! The only reason why all the examples were bezels was that I couldn't figure out how to place the (4? 6?) prongs due to the unusual shape:lol-2:

This style by Sennin is growing on me... love the balance between chuncky and bling!
1663387289781.png 1663387409149.png

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh, such a hard decision! The intricate cut of the stone can really rock a simple bezel and be the star of the show. That said, if your heart desires a CvB setting the regret can be real. I 100% understand that, as I love her designs too. I've have set stones i love in "cheaper" settings not wanting to spend the $ at the time. And then regret it.

So true!! I adore her style and want to own a CvB ring one day. I've already waited too long and her pieces are getting more expensive :cry2: I do think the stone would look great in a simple bezel! (and maybe too "busy" in a CvB setting)
I guess I can also think about the reverse: If I start with a simpler setting I can always upgrade. If I end up regretting an expensive setting it would be a larger sunken cost due to the stone's unusual shape...

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I chose CVB, as I'm always in favor of erring on the side of bling. But what I'd really love to see is you set it north-south and halo the heck out of it. :P2 It has such a unique color, cut, and shape. Also, I think I'd go with a white metal to keep that icy look. But, really, they'd all work! Have fun!!
Thank you!! I'm leaning towards north-south now and Sennin's five-stone setting (pictured above) adds a little bit of bling that spice things up a bit. Might not be enough by your standard tho:lol-2:
I own like one white gold ring total and the rest are 14/18k or sterling. But I think you are right about the icy look! Might take a leap of faith and do white gold this time

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
IMO the geometric cut and shape of the stone may also work with asymmetrical setting designs or even setting it diagonally to add more character. Enjoy your ring building:)
Ohhh I love unusual ring designs!! Now someone please lend me some creativity:lol-2:

The interwebs just popped this into my search results and now I can't get it out of my head how cool and special your sapphire would be as the star of this ring contrasting with the stepcuts . Found via this Etsy listing that also has a video.

Love this too! I was dreaming about graduating french cut sides today (saw an antique one on ps a long time ago) and then sadly realized that I couldn't afford those. These are white/colorless sapphires right? Look nice and a lot more affordable!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

Unique and refreshing!

His work sure looks amazing and I spent way too much time on his website. Oh and I'd like to see your band!!

I'm open to claw prongs as well! The only reason why all the examples were bezels was that I couldn't figure out how to place the (4? 6?) prongs due to the unusual shape:lol-2:

This style by Sennin is growing on me... love the balance between chuncky and bling!
1663387289781.png 1663387409149.png

I'm sold... I positively lurrrve this for your stone!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

Sure! I don't take very good pictures. I think his picture on his site show the patterning much nicer but here is one from the side. Note! He did not put that small plain section in there. When he sent it, it was lovely pattern all the way around. So don't blame him for that mess lol. My local jeweller did when I needed it sized up but didn't find a way to end the patterning super neatly.

20220316_101353.jpg

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Sure! I don't take very good pictures. I think his picture on his site show the patterning much nicer but here is one from the side. Note! He did not put that small plain section in there. When he sent it, it was lovely pattern all the way around. So don't blame him for that mess lol. My local jeweller did when I needed it sized up but didn't find a way to end the patterning super neatly.

20220316_101353.jpg

Love this!! So pretty:kiss2:

I'm sold... I positively lurrrve this for your stone!
Sennin said he could make a mock-up for whichever setting I was interested in! Asked for the bezel five stone :)

I'm really partial to the north-south orientation and 5-stone design in Sennin's mock-up!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I'm really partial to the north-south orientation and 5-stone design in Sennin's mock-up!
Sennin’s setting put more attention on the sapphire as a centre stone, CVB’s is more band like. Down to your preference ^^
North South takes my vote as it elongates the finger.

Yall made such good points!!! I like 5-stone and the sapphire being the center and north-south elongating the finger, so Sennin's setting it is :kiss2:

AntiqueFreak

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! I love Sennin’s work. I have a .75 untreated montana sapphire necklace from him. His stuff is great.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
That is beautiful. Wear it in good health.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results