shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for a JW 4.13 Blue Zircon

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Hi Folks! I purchased a stunningly gorgeous ziron preloved and I would love some ideas on how to set! I got married in December so this gem reminds me of our winter wedding.
Here are my thoughts so far:
1. Ring with 3 small diamonds on each side set as a triangle. I really like this setting! I would eliminate the diamonds on the shank and possibly increase the diamond size.
I like this one too! The metal seems a little thick at the shank.
2. Necklace: Here are some ideas that have caught my eye:
What do you all think? I am open to any ideas! Pictures to follow. Thank you for everyone's help and insight :love:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Sorry was a little slow in uploading pics! Had to hop on my cell lol.
Also, I prefer white gold or platinum.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
The sparkles will be amazing and for that reason I'd go with something you can see, rather than the pendant. I Iove that it reminds you of the ocean :)

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Oh thank you @Tartansparkles I lean towards the ring for the reason of being able to see it. I also get excited over the pendant because its 4 carats and a gorgeous color! I'm excited both ways! This us why I need help!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is gorgeous. There's a zircon thread somewhere (it's getting late here I'll come back tomorrow if I can find the link) but you'll find pages and pages of inspiration on that thread.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Hi @bling_dream19 ! I'm so excited that you are setting this and with DK (my fave)! It's cool that you got married in December...zircon is a December birthstone! This would make a great 1 year anniversary ring. That stone is too pretty not to be able see it on yourself. Obviously, I'm voting ring :)

I love bezel settings anyway, but I definetly think it's the better choice for a zircon. Zircons can get chipped. A bezel would offer more protection. If you really want prongs consider a faux bezel so the girdle is still protected from blows.

I always pictured this stone set east/ west. But ovals give you lots of options. Even a scalloped halo!

Look forward to seeing what you choose!
20201016_233914.jpg
20201017_003249.jpg

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
that is such a soothing calming serene tranquil hue in your gemstone!! i think you can't go wrong with either a pendant or ring!

with a ring you get to gaze at it and admire it, which can be endlessly fun!

for myself, i tend to place the softer color gems at the neck in pendants and necklaces and the hardier gems on the hands and or wrists.

a white diamond surround is lovely to offer contrast. a 3 stone with white diamond accents on either side is also a wonderful way to provide contrast.

i can't wait to see how you end up setting this beautiful gem!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, thanks for sharing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

I love settings with 3 stones on each side for ovals, and here is mine with a white Zircon and pale blue Sapphire sides, all from Jeff Davies.

How about pairing that gorgeous Zircon with pink side stones?

Jeff W is cutting a blue Zircon for me in his signature Asscher cut, and I have asked him to cut a pair of pink side stones for it, and he has selected a pair of pink Tourmaline for me, final shape to be decided, however they are likely to be Asschers to be mounted at 45deg:

DK :))

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Your stone is gorgeous. There's a zircon thread somewhere (it's getting late here I'll come back tomorrow if I can find the link) but you'll find pages and pages of inspiration on that thread.

Ok I'll look for the zircon thread too. Thanks @Tartansparkles

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Hi @bling_dream19 ! I'm so excited that you are setting this and with DK (my fave)! It's cool that you got married in December...zircon is a December birthstone! This would make a great 1 year anniversary ring. That stone is too pretty not to be able see it on yourself. Obviously, I'm voting ring :)

I love bezel settings anyway, but I definetly think it's the better choice for a zircon. Zircons can get chipped. A bezel would offer more protection. If you really want prongs consider a faux bezel so the girdle is still protected from blows.

I always pictured this stone set east/ west. But ovals give you lots of options. Even a scalloped halo!

Look forward to seeing what you choose!
20201016_233914.jpg
20201017_003249.jpg

Ooh thanks for the ideas @CHRISTY-DANIELLE I'm soo excited! We had ordered an eternity for our one year but are returning because I can't tolerate it between the fingers. So a beautiful zircon ring would be a very special 1 year anniversary ring! I love the idea of a faux bezel. I'll look that up to see what I find. I like the scalloped halo too! I always thought of an oval as n/s but will consider e/w. I have a half bezel citrine that I love and it's my only other oval. . 20201017_132519.jpg 20201017_132521.jpg
I would be devastated if the zircon got chipped so I appreciate you letting me know bezel will protect it more. Thank you for the beautiful inspiration photos!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
that is such a soothing calming serene tranquil hue in your gemstone!! i think you can't go wrong with either a pendant or ring!

with a ring you get to gaze at it and admire it, which can be endlessly fun!

for myself, i tend to place the softer color gems at the neck in pendants and necklaces and the hardier gems on the hands and or wrists.

a white diamond surround is lovely to offer contrast. a 3 stone with white diamond accents on either side is also a wonderful way to provide contrast.

i can't wait to see how you end up setting this beautiful gem!

Thank you @Big Fat Facets I appreciate your views on ring and pendant. A ring one can gaze upon and a pendant means one is staring in the mirror constantly lol!

Has anyone chipped a zircon and if so how?

The pendant would protect it more I'm assuming. I'm just excited to have 4 carats on my finger or neck!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock

I love settings with 3 stones on each side for ovals, and here is mine with a white Zircon and pale blue Sapphire sides, all from Jeff Davies.

imag0397.jpg

Jeff W is cutting a blue Zircon for me in his signature Asscher cut, and I have asked him to cut a pair of pink side stones for it, and he has selected a pair of pink Tourmaline for me, final shape to be decided, however they are likely to be Asschers to be mounted at 45deg:

20200629_204006_crop_66.jpg

Oh thank you @dk168 I LOVE your zircon ring! Its stunning and I love the color combo! Yes I've thought about adding pink side stones and you're making me think about this again! I LOVE PINK AND I LOVE MERMAIDS. So this could turn into my mermaid ring or pendant. What pinks would you suggest to match the zircon in style and cut? Pink sapphire, pink spinel, or pink tourmaline? I think I would still love white diamonds in there too somehow. Thank you for helping me!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
@dk168 I'm also super excited for you and your 3 stone ring being cut! JW is a master cutter and this will be a spectacular ring!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
This is my zircon with an E-W setting, I think the stone was 10x8mm. I love the semi bezel but wouldn't do it again; there is the tiniest chip I can feel with my finger nail and I'm pretty sure I did that (although the stone originally came from a stick pin).

IMG_20191225_115038975_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191225_115534557_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191225_115534557_HDR.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 25

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
This is my zircon with an E-W setting, I think the stone was 10x8mm. I love the semi bezel but wouldn't do it again; there is the tiniest chip I can feel with my finger nail and I'm pretty sure I did that (although the stone originally came from a stick pin).

IMG_20191225_115038975_HDR.jpg

Omg this is stunning! Soo sorry to hear about the chip. Would you do a full bezel if you could do it again? Or a different setting? How do you think you chipped it? Ahh that is my fear. I'm very particular lol, like we all are here!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
for a zircon, im of the opinion that a lower, preferably low set full bezel will protect it the best, if worn in a ring on the hand.

i also find lots of eternity rings so uncomfortable, i don't like the way they feel between the fingers. prong set and bar set are the worst. i haven't given up yet, though. im hoping channel set eternity rings will be more comfortable.

4 carats of gemstone goodness is super fun!!!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Omg this is stunning! Soo sorry to hear about the chip. Would you do a full bezel if you could do it again? Or a different setting? How do you think you chipped it? Ahh that is my fear. I'm very particular lol, like we all are here!

Thank you :) I would do a full bezel (bezels are my favourite). The setting is also as low as it will go, the culet brushes against the top of my finger which is something else to consider as I believe zircons can be quite deep. I love the top right setting that @CHRISTY-DANIELLE posted.

Last edited:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I love the top right one that @CHRISTY-DANIELLE posted as well. I'm think pink spinel on the sides and bezel the zircon. I'd like some diamonds too :bigsmile: how can we add diamonds? Halo the spinelsand halo the bezel zircon?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

imag0397.jpg

20200629_204006_crop_66.jpg

dk168,
i love the way you put your gemstone beauties together! your oval bezel set north to south with 3 accent stones on each side is very flattering to the hand! it also is probably really comfortable wear.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Definetly agree on the bezel. The nice thing is Jeff cut that stone shallow for a zircon (w/ no loss of color!) So you can have it set low too.
I love playing with designs. I always like to SEE what I'm thinking.
20201017_173327.jpg

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Definetly agree on the bezel. The nice thing is Jeff cut that stone shallow for a zircon (w/ no loss of color!) So you can have it set low too.
I love playing with designs. I always like to SEE what I'm thinking.
20201017_173327.jpg

I also love the top right one! I like the larger diamonds and maybe it's not as wide on my finger! I'm worried about how wide the ring will be on my hand because its 4 carats east west. I'm very sensitive. But I'm intrigued by the finger coverage :kiss2: what do yall think? @CHRISTY-DANIELLE you are amazing thank you! And what kind of pinks? :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my other oval Zircon, a blue one from Jeff Davies.

I had fish tail/holly and berry setting in mind, however, it did not turn out quite as I had expected.

However, I love it the sides remind me of a cat's face and kind of cute.

The stone itself and the inspiration ring:

The actual ring itself:

And close up of the cat face that I love:

Both my Zircons were bezel set as that's what I prefer, after losing the centre stone of a ring that my mum lent to me during one drunken work related event. It is a bonus that bezel setting happens to give better protection against chipping.

@bling_dream19 I was incorrect to refer the two pink side stone roughs as Tourmalines, in fact they are Spinels, sorry! All the CSs you mentioned would have pink tones that suit, so happy hunting!

@Big Fat Facets thanks for the kind words.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168

i adore both your inspiration ring as well as how the ring turned out. the kitty face is so cute. the ring turned out more robust than it's inspiration. uggh, im sorry to hear you lost a center stone, though...

i just absolutely detest losing jewelry. its not just the monetary value, its probably, more so, the memories and sentiments attached to the lost piece.

bezels are not only practical but can be tweaked in so many ways, to make it truly a work of art

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another blue Zircon and pink Spinel combination as seen on JW's FB page; however, he does not have anymore roughs from that parcel (my hot pink EC was one of them).

JW_BlueZircon_HotPinkSpinel.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results