shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this technically should be in the Rocky Talky section but I need the help of my creative fellow coloured stoners!

I''ve just bought a GORGEOUS Old Mine Cut diamond with the following stats:

0.52ct
4.73 x 4.36 x 3.24mm
I colour
Si clarity but with a pretty nasty chip (see picture 1 below)

I very rarely buy a diamond under 1ct (I have sausage fingers!) but there was just something about this diamond that pulled me to it. I love the symmetry. Mmmmmmmmmmmm
30.gif

So, what I want to do is set it in an antique type setting. The prongs I want I''ve seen on replica and vintage settings but don''t know their name - there are 3 prongs forming a squareish corner (similar to picture 2 below). I''m hoping that this type of prong might hide the corner damage. What do you think?

Then, because the diamond is much smaller than I''m used to, I''d like to have it set in an illusion style setting - like picture 3 below but in a cushion shape.

Please can I have your thoughts on this setting - have you seen one? Would it work? Would it hide the damage?

If you have any other suggestions, I''m all ears.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooops sorry! That''s a bit big. Let''s try it again ...........

If a Mod is passing could they please remove the picture from the previous post? Thanks

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture 2 - here are the prongs that I like ........

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture 3 - this is the type of illusion setting I like but imagine it in a cushion shape

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So help please .... have you seen anything like it? What do you think?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Wow! No wonder you were wondering about those traps. I think those stones actually belong to DiaGem. I would give her a shout out on Rocky Talk and ask her where you might go looking for some. I''d like to know too!

I think your stone is lovely LD - you''ve been quiet for the last few days, is this why?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an image of a McTeigue & McLelland ring that has an interesting corner detail. Maybe something like this would hide the corner.

McTeigue ring interesing prong detail.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Gailey that''s a great idea for a unique/antique type of prong and although they''d have to be bigger it''d certainly hide the damage.

I''ve been a bit quiet because it''s been absolutely mad busy at work (I work for an American company that''s just filed for Chapter 11 so we''ve been trying to reassure employees etc etc). It''s a horrible sign of the times but hopefully we''ll be able to come out of it a stronger company.

My new pretty above is my consolation prize for a horrible week!!!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you''ve had a bad week LD, I must remember that bit about buying a pretty in those circumstances. I hope this Chapter 11 move doesn''t mean you are going to be out of a job?

If you take a look in TG''s pad thread, you''ll get an idea of how ridiculously highly priced M&M settings are. So better plan on finding a good goldsmith or mortgaging the farm!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bless your heart Gailey. No, my job in the UK is safe (for now) but I don't think anybody in this economic climate can bank on any type of job security can they?

I know I'll probably have to have a custom setting made but any ideas I can get will be great!!! Luckily I have a great jeweller/friend who normally comes up trumps for me!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 2:56:34 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Bless your heart Gailey. No, my job in the UK is safe (for now) but I don''t think anybody in this economic climate can bank on any type of job security can they?

I know I''ll probably have to have a custom setting made but any ideas I can get will be great!!! Luckily I have a great jeweller/friend who normally comes up trumps for me!
As I grab the nearest piece of wood, I think I can say, "I can". Although to what extent I am not sure. Four things in life are certain:
Death
Taxes
Grey hair
Weeds
So I think if your a mortician, an accountant, a hairdresser or a gardener, there will always be something for you to do. I say this with the proviso that I don''t expect to be getting rich and buying a boat anytime soon!

Glad to hear your job is secure.

Are you talking about the jeweller you mentioned in Bourton-on-the-Water? The reason I ask is that my sister is in Malvern. I have just sent her a pair of amethysts and she is going to need to find someone to set them.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
That''s a pretty little thing isn''t it? I''ll have to think on this one for a bit. Neat find!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is the jeweller I''m taking about BUT I''m not sure to what extent they do bespoke projects (unless it''s using diamonds). Certainly worth a call though!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 3:14:47 PM
Author: mercoledi
That''s a pretty little thing isn''t it? I''ll have to think on this one for a bit. Neat find!
Thank you Mercoledi. Would appreciate your input also.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 3:22:16 PM
Yes that is the jeweller I''m taking about BUT I''m not sure to what extent they do bespoke projects (unless it''s using diamonds). Certainly worth a call though!
Can you tell me who they are LD?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 3:26:14 PM
Author: Gailey

Sorry I thought you knew! You can get their contact details from here www.diamondgeezer.com Good luck!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So you want the large, squared prongs and an illusion setting? The prongs will/can add a lot of visual impact, are you sure you want both? I'm having trouble picturing it.

ETA: this setting has those prongs and a bit of a halo, is that similar to what you're thinking? I know there are entire threads here dedicated to those prongs but I can't find them!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of Mercoledi. I''m not sure whether you can see the prongs in the picture I posted above but although they look square they''re a bit more delicate looking. I quite like the setting you linked me to but I think I want the diamond to take centre stage so I''m envisaging an illusion setting without diamonds. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a ring with similar prongs to what I want ......

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 3:27:37 PM

Date: 3/20/2009 3:26:14 PM
Author: Gailey

Sorry I thought you knew! You can get their contact details from here www.diamondgeezer.com Good luck!
Thanks LD!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono. Now at least I can ask for what I want!
9.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a beauty.

Sorry to hear about your company. I am not a fan of recessions.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
OHHH!!!
Your the one that got it
6.gif
2.gif

I was bidding on this one via my iphone--- but silly me and my 3G connection...wasn''t fast enough.

Its such a cool stone! I''m glad a pricescoper got it
36.gif
You will be Happy with it!
I can''t wait to see what you do with it
1.gif

Congrats!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 1:56:24 AM
Author: blinkydoll
OHHH!!!
Your the one that got it
6.gif
2.gif

I was bidding on this one via my iphone--- but silly me and my 3G connection...wasn''t fast enough.

Its such a cool stone! I''m glad a pricescoper got it
36.gif
You will be Happy with it!
I can''t wait to see what you do with it
1.gif

Congrats!
Oh sorry Blinky
8.gif
In all honesty I had an auction snipe on it for double what I got it for as I REALLY wanted this. Thank you for your kind words. Just as a matter of interest, if you''d won, what would you have done with it?

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
No worries at all-- I have a few other projects going on at the moment anywho--- this would have made another project--lol so I guess it''s good I didn''t get it.
I was thinking Of maybe starting a bracelet going.. I was going to get a few other Oecs in diff sizes and And do a kinda DBTY but with a diff way to link them together so they don''t flip bracelet. I still might do this in the future..
31.gif

But I''m Excited to see what you do
1.gif
I hope you take lots of pics when it comes in
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results