shape
carat
color
clarity

Illusion settings and fishtail prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I just bought but haven''t received yet an authentic 1920''s antique setting that is described as an illusion setting with fishtail prongs (14Kyg shank, 14Kwg head). I''m not an antique ring person, but I loved the setting and it was a great price so I jumped on it! Now I''m curious about the history about these types of settings. I do have pictures that the seller had posted so I saved them, and I can post them if anyone is interested!

But for now, can anyone tell me about illusion settings and fishtail prongs? I did a search and couldn''t find any good information about them.

Thanks so much!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Illusion heads were a previous generation''s way of making diamonds look bigger, sort of like halos today. They surround the diamond with some extra metal, tricking the eye into thinking the metal is part of the diamond.

Fishtail prongs, I suspect, may have been a jewelry designer''s solution to the problem of squaring the circle. The princess cut hadn''t yet been invented, but squares were popular with designers of all sorts of things during the art deco period, so setting the diamond in four fishtail prongs, each with three little prongs making an angle together, allowed a round diamond to look square.

I think the look can be very charming. Can''t wait to see pictures of your setting.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 4:33:44 PM
Author: glitterata
Illusion heads were a previous generation''s way of making diamonds look bigger, sort of like halos today. They surround the diamond with some extra metal, tricking the eye into thinking the metal is part of the diamond.

Fishtail prongs, I suspect, may have been a jewelry designer''s solution to the problem of squaring the circle. The princess cut hadn''t yet been invented, but squares were popular with designers of all sorts of things during the art deco period, so setting the diamond in four fishtail prongs, each with three little prongs making an angle together, allowed a round diamond to look square.

I think the look can be very charming. Can''t wait to see pictures of your setting.
Thank you! I will attach some pictures. The setting will arrive with out a stone in it!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Not my hand or my diamond, lol. I''m getting just the setting!

fishtailprongs1.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
If I keep the setting, I will probably have Quest work their magic on polishing it up!

fishtail33.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Charming!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results