shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help for sapphire

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, just got a blue sapphire from Finewater. It's a small, very sparkly .93 carat stone with a tiny window so I am looking for setting advice. I want a setting that will close up its window but not darken the color of the stone. Should I go with a lotus ring from Sally? What about bezel settings, do they darken stones?

Here are vendor pics:

And here are pics I took. I have no clue why my camera refuses to pick up the sparkliness that it has in person :cry:

Ideas appreciated :cheeky:

SapphireShade.jpg

SapphireSun.jpg

sa1.jpg

sa2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Pretty blue. It would look super in a Sally lotus ring. You do want to give it a setting w/plenty of light. If you want something simpler, I really like this setting of Sally's too that she calls Nur -- means light, aha.

NurfromSally.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see a window because all the photos of your stone are not showing the table parallel to the camera lens. They're all on an angle. I think therefore, what you may be thinking is a window, is a tilt window, and very common in colored gemstones. Diamonds and very high RI material tend to show lesser, if any, tilt windows. Do you see a window exactly through the stone when viewing it straight down through the table and through to the cutlet? If not, then I think you should be open to a prong setting, as a tilt window is common and something most people live with and accept in colored gems.

An open prong setting would be best as the stone is dark in tone, and anything too heavy in metal, such as a bezel, a halo, or a heavy gallery, will only darken it.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hi TL, you are right. It is a tilt window. I cannot see straight through the stone if I look directly down. Guess I will go with Nur or Lotus from Sally then, yippeeeee!

Jewelfreak, I thought I was completely obsessed with Lotus rings but you have given me a new obsession - the Nur! Love the rope shank!

I am leaning towards white gold but also wondering if the stone would look pretty in yellow. I feel a dark blue could swing both ways - warmth of color wise. Excited! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubyshoes|1310307228|2965922 said:
Hi TL, you are right. It is a tilt window. I cannot see straight through the stone if I look directly down. Guess I will go with Nur or Lotus from Sally then, yippeeeee!

Jewelfreak, I thought I was completely obsessed with Lotus rings but you have given me a new obsession - the Nur! Love the rope shank!

I am leaning towards white gold but also wondering if the stone would look pretty in yellow. I feel a dark blue could swing both ways - warmth of color wise. Excited! :appl:

I would do high karat buttery 18K yellow gold, as the contrast would bring out more saturation in the stone. I think white gold might deaden it a little.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results