shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for a marquise cut? Or keep as is?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
So, I bought a 1.53 marquise cut from Parks Fine Group. I don't have that shape. I had it set in a very simple rose gold setting. I am not a solitaire person, really. I don't think they look good on me.

It came today. I like the stone. The setting doesn't look good in me though, I don't think? I'm thinking an East West halo? Or something? Thoughts welcome. Stone is 15.2ish by 5.25 I think.

Bad photo as well for reference. IMG_20190812_110302347.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the e/w look. Plus I think a halo will give you a little more finger coverage. Is this for a RHR or will you wear it as an ering?

I really like the look below but I think your stone is possibly too big for it.
Capture.PNG

This is something a little different...
Capture.PNG
Or you could do something with a split shank to also give you some more coverage...
Capture.PNG

Or go with an antique look with double halo
Capture.PNG

Lots of fun ideas to think about! Good luck!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Are you wanting to make it wider or longer or both? Trying to understand what you don’t like would help with suggesting a setting.

FWIW, I love marquise shapes with sapphire halos. Does something like that hold any appeal?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I love the e/w look. Plus I think a halo will give you a little more finger coverage. Is this for a RHR or will you wear it as an ering?

I really like the look below but I think your stone is possibly too big for it.
Capture.PNG

This is something a little different...
Capture.PNG
Or you could do something with a split shank to also give you some more coverage...
Capture.PNG

Or go with an antique look with double halo
Capture.PNG

Lots of fun ideas to think about! Good luck!

Thanks! It's just a ring, if that makes sense. I wear my rings on either ring finger and switch them often. I don't have a designated finger for anything. And sometimes I wear nothing for weeks, so it would be for either ring finger depending on mood.

What I don't love about it is that it is plain and too modern looking- which I knew would be the case, but I had it set temporarily so I could wear it while I figured out what to do. And I think it looks small on me. I like third and fourth settings a good bit.

I also found this and think it's pretty. vintage-engagement-ring-erstwhile-1872-2_1024x1024.jpg

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! It's just a ring, if that makes sense. I wear my rings on either ring finger and switch them often. I don't have a designated finger for anything. And sometimes I wear nothing for weeks, so it would be for either ring finger depending on mood.

What I don't love about it is that it is plain and too modern looking- which I knew would be the case, but I had it set temporarily so I could wear it while I figured out what to do. And I think it looks small on me. I like third and fourth settings a good bit.

I also found this and think it's pretty. vintage-engagement-ring-erstwhile-1872-2_1024x1024.jpg

Ooooo that’s beautiful as well!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I bought a 1.53 marquise cut from Parks Fine Group. I don't have that shape. I had it set in a very simple rose gold setting. I am not a solitaire person, really. I don't think they look good on me.

It came today. I like the stone. The setting doesn't look good in me though, I don't think? I'm thinking an East West halo? Or something? Thoughts welcome. Stone is 15.2ish by 5.25 I think.

Bad photo as well for reference. IMG_20190812_110302347.jpg
I know Alex does those settings often for his Marquise stones, and unfortunately I'm just not a fan of them. I think they make the stone look kind of flat and a little sad, and are rarely flattering on anyone's hand. For me, it makes me like a stone *less*, which is unfortunate. I like all of the other options posted, but just wanted to chime in that it's not just you who isn't a fan of the setting :wavey:

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I think a north/south setting, with more diamonds would be fabulous!!! Have fun and enjoy your new stone!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Graduated halo -especially if you are keeping it e/w. With an antique vibe.
Very pretty stone!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Exciting project! As others have said I think setting north south would be more flattering.
I agree with the @Rfisher on the graduated halo, as the stone imo would benefit visually when set from looking wider rather than longer as it is already long and skinny.
I think it might also benefit from something elaborate on the shoulders to widen it. Assuming you want something vintage inspired here are some ideas.
CC3F825D-5EF5-4ADD-BFED-9EE4523A839E.jpeg 42D614CE-A126-489D-BC66-F7E2BB839A72.jpeg 24347D8B-77EE-444A-9329-ED5401852BA9.jpeg 30E3F821-3DB9-4448-B15F-D037AD49C762.jpeg 37BB2E26-DFE0-4647-8AA3-A8C1CC548B1C.jpeg 81D44B7B-328A-4712-AC9F-3627653CC511.jpeg 123754D5-0022-4674-9B6C-194FF380B5BD.jpeg 9FE79609-9C8A-41AE-A370-B8CC96DBB367.jpeg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Are you wanting to make it wider or longer or both? Trying to understand what you don’t like would help with suggesting a setting.

FWIW, I love marquise shapes with sapphire halos. Does something like that hold any appeal?

I like sapphires. I was kicking around rubies. I don't have a ruby halo. I wish I had a long skinny finger, but I wear a size 7... so wider is the goal.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I know Alex does those settings often for his Marquise stones, and unfortunately I'm just not a fan of them. I think they make the stone look kind of flat and a little sad, and are rarely flattering on anyone's hand. For me, it makes me like a stone *less*, which is unfortunate. I like all of the other options posted, but just wanted to chime in that it's not just you who isn't a fan of the setting :wavey:

I think you have to have a certain finger to do it. I clearly don't have it... I am on the fence about east west, even though I love it on others. Maybe my finger is too chunky.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like that one a lot. It's so pretty. I am kicking around a ruby halo. I love that design though. Diana's bench with SinCityFinds will probably do it for me. I just am not sure if I can do the east west or if my finger is too chunky. I actually don't wear round stones because I think my finger is not suited for them.
I definitely don't think your finger is "too chunky" for east-west. I think the left to right coverage -- especially with a more substantial halo setting -- would be very flattering to your hand!

Personally I feel that north-south orientations for marquise stones work best when the stone size is much larger in relation to the size of the finger. Sure, you could beef up the proportions of a N-S stone with a halo but my experience has been that N-S skinny stones actually make my short and stubby fingers look even shorter. Just my own perception though!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@meely I really like the last one. I actually have two yellow diamonds that are in earrings, that are basically 4.4mm each. I could maybe do that type of design and use my yellow stones instead of colorless diamonds. I wonder if a kind of scalloped ruby halo would be pretty on that last design. I stink on mock ups, but I like the idea of using stones I have too.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
CF10C173-2738-4BB4-9557-9C993DC21041.png
This is on LT right now. It’s just the band, not the marquise halo, but holy cow, what a gorgeous marquise halo! I vaguely remember this being from Alex. The username is @Morenita21 Will try tagging her here in case that’s the same person and maybe she has more photos of her gorgeous ring.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@elizat last one was my favourite too, chunky enough to balance out the skinniess of your marquise. Have you a pic of your yellow stones?
Not sure if yellow and ruby together might be a bit garish if that’s what you mean, maybe someone has a visual? One or the other would definitely look nice though.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes it’s got potential hasn’t it, I wonder if they went vertically if it might look better proportion wise?
Just a thought I wonder if doing a cobblestone pave surround night work well?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely just took one. It would have to be a halo shaped around the stones to be cohesive, but it might work. They could be oriented at an angle too, set like kites.

IMG_20190813_140800116.jpg
I like this look very much proportional all around? Great finger coverage any which way.
I usually like EW non traditional look only because if I pair band for Marquise as I like to have a donut Under the gallery I cannot wear a band with it on Marquise as I too have short finger stubby:confused2: unless it was set EW, but if you aren’t going to wear a band then N/S looks perfect with those yellow sidestones.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I decided to ask Alex if he'd allow me to exchange for another stone. He graciously agreed, with no hesitation.

I decided to go with a 2.54 q-r OMC he posted. I loved it and that's more my speed. I have been wanting to make a larger target ring with an emerald or ruby halo, so I think I will do that.

If anyone liked this stone- it is a very pretty marquise cut, and a nice size, he will have it back shortly and it will be available again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results