shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Ideas for Resetting A Marquise E/W

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pictures are of the Marquise in it's current 18k mount it's 0.96ct H VS1 10.06x5.22 the problem I'm having is the current mount has a quite high profile & can inhibit my hand movements as I am scared of catching it or knocking it, I'm thinking of having it semi bezel set or tension set or tension style set with just the chevron claws on the tips & none across the belly I want to keep it East West orientation Please feel free to add your thoughts & pictures! pixlr_20180413123135569.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My all time favorite E/W marquise setting. It looks to be low and is only held by the chevrons. Can be done with a plan shank.

MAchickfront2.jpg

MAchickside1.jpg

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My all time favorite E/W marquise setting. It looks to be low and is only held by the chevrons. Can be done with a plan shank.

MAchickfront2.jpg

MAchickside1.jpg

That is gorgeous - I am going to show that to my jeweller I love open sides & enjoy seeing through the gallery thank you so much! :love:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that not all jewelers have the same skill levels. It may be that your jeweler does. Or maybe not. Regardless, they'll try it - ask to see some other similar work they have done.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Remember that not all jewelers have the same skill levels. It may be that your jeweler does. Or maybe not. Regardless, they'll try it - ask to see some other similar work they have done.

Thank you for the advice really appreciate it I will be sure to ask around to be safe! :mrgreen:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1678980C-6185-42E1-888B-6BB511BB26A8.jpeg 1281CAD3-524D-4C3B-B628-B234058C246C.jpeg These are non custom settings - pave or no pave. Maevona

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MAchickfront2.jpg

MAchickside1.jpg
I have loved this one for a long time too tyty333! :appl:

Cosmetologist, I think your stone would look great in this setting, it is stunning!:love:

I forgot to add that Green Lake Jewelry Works in Seattle did that setting, here is their custom design gallery, you'll see a few different versions:

https://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx

Last edited:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gosh that looks like something Sholdt would have designed!

I agree. I tried following the image back to its root. But it lead me nowhere.

My only concern with this type of setting for you Cosmetologist, is that you said you keep knocking the ring. Right now those prongs protect the belly of your diamond. If you remove that then the girdle is exposed. Do you remember what the thin/thickness of your girdle is?

A nice full bezel might be a good option.
M85III.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d be a bit hesitant to set without a full bezel or two “small” claws on the sides. I’d be worried that a bump against something will be too easy to chip the side of the diamond, especially in the east / west orientation. It’s exposed and think about things like putting your hand into a drawer and bumping it!
I’m also a fan of lower set ring with a few round shoulder diamonds for a bit of flair and extra sparkle.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d be a bit hesitant to set without a full bezel or two “small” claws on the sides. I’d be worried that a bump against something will be too easy to chip the side of the diamond, especially in the east / west orientation. It’s exposed and think about things like putting your hand into a drawer and bumping it!
I’m also a fan of lower set ring with a few round shoulder diamonds for a bit of flair and extra sparkle.
Are you more uncomfortable with this than say a round semi bezel? An asscher tention setting?

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you guys are right, the more I think about it & read your comments, the diamond is quite exposed on the Green Lake setting. I wonder if they have some version of that setting with a bezel. Off to look....

Attachments

• 106437 (1).jpg
    106437 (1).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 106437 (2).jpg
    106437 (2).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 21

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t bezel a marquise. Many are not cut well enough to handle a bezel without loosing performance

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys so much for all your valuable input, I will more than likely have a chevron prong setting with a low profile open gallery & small belly prongs I am seeing my jeweller next week so have a few days to consider all my options!
:mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results